Today my GKs...

marvmoogy

Thanks.

There were times where it was touch and go, despite how the board looked. A few poorer 5+ rolls, and I'd have been in trouble.

To be fair, I am usually fairly lucky with my flyers. The idea, if he didn't land, was to either shooting him to death, or, grounding him.

I agree. I just finished painting my Magnus so I did up a Battle report for him in the Chaos section, but yes eventually he was grounded.

I think for Grey Knights that's always an option but I'd ignore him otherwise. He's just too expensive and without a full Tzeentch Daemon fa m he starves the rest of the army of warp charges pretty badly. I thin this actually works to GK's advantage.

While we had to proxy today for the Thousand Sons, I tend to agree, but will eventually include him in my Thousand Sons for Fluff reasons. I'm thinking of avoiding the summoning spam.

I was lucky that I built many of my squads to include a Benesis awarding Stave. That Adamantium Will was a real life saver.

The most he managed to do was buff Nagnus in irrelevant ways due to the dice. Though one of his powers caused an interesting discussion. The one that lets him take control of an enemy unit. Know the one I mean?

I felt it shouldn't affect GKs, mainly because none have ever been corrupted. Though he passed the test for that one, Draigo denied it easily. Still, that was the most annoying thing he kept trying to do as I killed his summonses pretty quickly. Dragging with hammerhand is immense lol. (He was in a squad)

We played a maelstrom mission, he had Magnus (reserves), 2 exhulted sorcerors, 2x10-man Rubric squads with a Gatling cannon in each, a 5-man Scarab Occult Squad. He told me that came to 2K points.

He landed Magnus because he wanted to squash Draigo, which he did, but got swamped by terminators.

Out of the two Primarchs currently available, Guilliman looks to be the worst to try to take down for any of my 3 armies.

Wow. No offense to your friend, but that's a really, really hard set up for Magnus to operate in. He operates fully within the Tzeentch Daemons list because they can get warpcharges up the waazoo and then summon more warp charge bearing Daemons. I gotta hand it to him though... 2 x 10 man Rubric squads is playing it about as soft as you can get. Those guys remind me of Deathwatch except with invulns, but so terribly over costed.

Exalted Sorcs can give GK a run for their money. In fact I think they are a bigger threat than Magnus because you can't single them out until CC. If he has Seer's Bane on an Exalted, watch out in close combat. Even Grey Knights will really struggle against that daemon wepaon.

Guilliman is crazy good. There's no doubt he's the best costed, and the hardest to remove. But you know I honestly think Celestine is so good for CAD's I like her a lot.

Still with Magnus your friend should have been beaming you to get around the GK strong denial rolls and re-rolls. In Close combat the Thousand Sons struggle a ton against 2+ saves (this is why the Seer's Bane is exceptional for Thousand Sons. It's super expensive, but a problem for GK.)

One exalted sorcerer has a funky relic thing that made his terminators move like jump pack marines... that was a bit scary.

He openly admitted that he suffered from a lack of AP 2, as did my GKs to a degree. Took ages to whittle down his terminators.

It was a great learning game though, as he was trialling a list before buying it. I've told him to join the B&C, as he'll get help to build a fluffy/balanced list that will win a few games.

The feedback from here will be great for him.

One exalted sorcerer has a funky relic thing that made his terminators move like jump pack marines... that was a bit scary.

He openly admitted that he suffered from a lack of AP 2, as did my GKs to a degree. Took ages to whittle down his terminators.

It was a great learning game though, as he was trialling a list before buying it. I've told him to join the B&C, as he'll get help to build a fluffy/balanced list that will win a few games.

The feedback from here will be great for him.

Gees, you know as a side note to this if he needs help (just off topic for a moment here) get him to join the BnC and check out all my Thousand Sons threads and battle reports. He'll see tons of stuff.

The Astral Grimoire is very good... lets you point to -any- unit within 12" and they act like Jump infantry.

The beauty about the Grey Knights though is two fold: Psychic Botherhood + a hidden hammer. The Scarab occult Sorcerer (termie leaders) are ML2 but the rest of the terimes are devoid of psychic ability! So force can only be on the character. So you can take advantage of that by saving your Paladins from instant death, or perhaps robbing him (while perserving your own) FnP rolls.

Aside from IC's, the Thousand Sons have no access to AP2 in CC. Your hammer should be eventually weeding them all out. The one deal killer for you to watch out for is if he gets a 'buff' power off, he's increasing his invulns to a 3++ (5++ and MoT and the Buff power side effect for Thousand Sons).

You may find you need to block one of those buffs to get through the invulns. You have more CC killy power, but the Thousand Sons survivability is nothing to scoff at (I'm sure you saw this.)

I hope some of that helps both of you out... but you may not want to tell him about Seer's Bane. lol

Today I got and built my Voldus (and Guilliman) model

I also managed the head swap (although that came later as I forgot to bring my bits to the store)

gallery_87434_11952_213202.jpg

Took a little bit of shaving to the collar area and took off one of the spikes on the armour. It sits better now and less like a bobble head. :)

why you swap voldus head?. it is a good one. 

This is coming from someone with one of the most disturbing Avatars on the GK forum? lol ;)

I'm just kidding Rurik but it is worth noting some people just don't like bareheads period. It could be aesthetic, or it could be a function of using a helmet in war....

Personally I agree with you, I'm using the bare head, but I think the helmet looks great too.

Normally I don't mind bare heads, my RG usually have a couple of models per squad with no helmet. 

I just don't like the bearded saggy faced old men heads that the GK's have. 

Especially with the odd leather psychic hood cap... 

Normally I don't mind bare heads, my RG usually have a couple of models per squad with no helmet. 

Beared and saggy? Wow... don't let Draigo hear that. ;)

Seriously though I consider that some of the charm. I like that they don't have the super marine poster boy look. These guys have seen a million years of literal hell, and they wear it on their faces. The simple leather head piece to me rings of a simple life away from war. A life of purity, and almost.. 'monk-like' in its simplicity. I always imagine them in very plain robes when not in power armour.

Also if GK ever get 'great' again, and my opponents start accusing me of being ''beardy" I can just point to Voldus and say, "Yup, I brought the Beard... prepare to pay for your sins."

Saggy, bearded faces FTW!

Beared and saggy? Wow... don't let Draigo hear that. ;)

Seriously though I consider that some of the charm. I like that they don't have the super marine poster boy look. These guys have seen a million years of literal hell, and they wear it on their faces. The simple leather head piece to me rings of a simple life away from war. A life of purity, and almost.. 'monk-like' in its simplicity. I always imagine them in very plain robes when not in power armour.

Also if GK ever get 'great' again, and my opponents start accusing me of being ''beardy" I can just point to Voldus and say, "Yup, I brought the Beard... prepare to pay for your sins."

Saggy, bearded faces FTW!

Definitely have to agree here, although, only a small few of my GK run without helmets, as I generally prefer the aesthetics of the helmets on GK... I find that the "aged/worn/battleforged" faces speak to the grit and the prowess of surviving so many years of combat, essentially saying "I'm truly a badass".

Personally I think Voldus is one of the better looking old guys and I'm keeping mine helmetless, but I do have to say the conversion looks solid!

Today my GKs have the newly completed Grandmaster Voldus join their ranks.

http://i.imgur.com/nF8thz8.jpg

As to the topic to helmet Voldus or not, I agree that his head/face design is one of the best Ive seen and certainly wouldn't mind seeing Voldus models with his default head piece. But for my current GK army, a helmeted version has better cohesion with Draigo and my lead Librarian. 

http://i.imgur.com/W9gIZDI.jpg

Today my GK played UM with the formation that lets assault troops charge and davs shoot on the first turn. There was also a cad including tiggy, some tacs and robot gilliman.

That formation is insane, i lost 10 interceptors, 5 termies and 2 dreadknights by the 2nd turn.

Highlight for me was draigo and stern double teaming and taking out robot in cc, him reviving on 3 wounds and getting beaten down again.

Today my GK played UM with the formation that lets assault troops charge and davs shoot on the first turn. There was also a cad including tiggy, some tacs and robot gilliman.

That formation is insane, i lost 10 interceptors, 5 termies and 2 dreadknights by the 2nd turn.

Highlight for me was draigo and stern double teaming and taking out robot in cc, him reviving on 3 wounds and getting beaten down again.

That's pretty hardcore. I can't believe you had anything left after 2 turns. Skyhammer hits like a truck against small, elite armies especially. Do you think he was just 'sparing' Draigo/Stern for fun? For Guilliman?

Regardless I wouldn't guess you could do that so that's a notch in Draigo's belt. Forget the Tzeentch greater daemons.... he took on Guilliman! ;)

I deployed draigo and stern with the pallies in a corner behind terrain in a way to minimise deepstriking, however they did tank a lot of grav over the game. A 4++/5+fnp with stern is decent, and draigos 2++ helps a lot too. I still lost them all but not before they killed robot.

I also attached a psyker inq and a priest to the pallies. For 40pts with the litanies relic, a priest makes draigo almost unkillable in combat. Robot needs a 6 to hit and 6 on the d chart to put him down and didnt get it.

That formation is so good though. So much grav.

• 1 month later...

So having stopped painting my RG army for the time being I've been slowly chipping away at Voldus.

Im gonna post this one hear for now and then I need to start my own WIP thread!

gallery_87434_11952_179324.jpg

Today I got confirmation of my train tickets to Nottingham on the 17th...

A while ago, we'd arranged to take a mate up there as a surprise (as part of his 40th birthday celebration, and he's always wanted to go to Warhammer World, but his missus has never been too interested.).  And today we find out the Saturday we booked, coincides with the release of 8th!

Hah!

Fate!

Edit: We've decided that it might be a good idea to book the door tickets in advance.  We were going to get them on the day...

Archived