The Singing Nails, a Legio XII Project Log

Guiltysparc

Very clean World Eaters! Almost too clean.....msn-wink.gif

Some amount of blood spatter will find its way onto them. I haven't quite decided how much yet...I may do it based on game performance.

DUDE that is a wonderful idea to base it off how they do in games! i love it! laugh.png

Some pics of the leviathan build. This is the first model i have tried to magnetize. The nipple weapons were pretty easy but i messed up the torso drilling a little bit so that took some fiddling and creative gluework, hoping it holds once everything is assembled. I am also going to magnetize the gun arm and the head. Since the torso is on a magnet and can swivel i figured the head should be able to also.

gallery_92768_11638_203733.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_81105.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_116005.jpg

Quick update on the levi...got all the white done. Still lots to do on this guy but happy with the way my white technique is looking on him so far. Although the white balance in the picture makes him look a lot greyer than he really is, I think its the white cup he is on making the phone lose its mind.

gallery_92768_11638_73783.jpg

First leviathan is done! I'm loving this way this dude turned out and can't wait to spatter him with the blood of his slain enemies. The head, torso, and gun arm are magnetized. I've got a grav bombard coming in the mail so i'll get that painted up and slap it on next.

Anyway, on to the pics!

gallery_92768_11638_21795.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_1549.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_54601.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_6278.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_71071.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_109319.jpg

I had exactly the same feeling about my contemptor, so gave him a blue left knee in the end. I love the clean white you've got, but a bit of weathering / chipping etc. might give a bit more realism, even if it's just the feet and lower leg...

i don't really like the super weathered look that is common in heresy armies, so i have stayed away from it with mine...although i think you are right, with this model especially it seems a bit too...clean? flat?  not sure...

I need to look at some weathering tutorials and find a style on the lighter side that i like.

I had exactly the same feeling about my contemptor, so gave him a blue left knee in the end. I love the clean white you've got, but a bit of weathering / chipping etc. might give a bit more realism, even if it's just the feet and lower leg...

I like the bit of weathering you have in the link in your sig...is that just sponged on grey?

Yeah, I generally sponge or dry brush a dusty grey / black where battlefield dust might accumulate, with varying degrees depending on combat role (my tacs are fairly clean but assault marines are dirtier + have blood splatter). But each to their own I think.

Here's my dread just for reference of the blue knee and a bit of lower leg weathering / chipping. There are some awesome chipping tutorials out there that I haven't mastered yet!!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/llltomlll/yer%20im%20a%20geek/IMAG0023_zpscc628cca.jpg

I dig it.  I have a blue knee on the first tac marine i painted, which i really liked but didn't get around to do other knees in the unit.

Maybe some blue on the knee and some grey sponge around some of the leg and torso edges.  I really like the crisp white lines i have on all of the edges now so i don't want to lose that, but i think you guys are right that putting some weather on there will make it more interesting to look at.  Its like, too much of a good thing that make it a boring thing, ie boat loads of decals or gallons of blood spatter, i think if i take away some of the crisp edges via weathering it will make the ones that remain look that much better.

Alright, i'ma try some sponge chipping....thoughts on color choice?  I am thinking dawnstone since thats the grey i have, but could mix up some lighter/dark variants.  Also i think i'll try it on the regular contemptor first to see how i like it.  He is a cortus in my army list after all and they are made from jankier pieces if i recall the fluff correctly, lol.

Khârn in progress...

These two pics show the contrast between the corax spray before the wash (his arm) and after (the rest of him).

gallery_92768_11638_14318.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_37110.jpg

And now some color and washes on the arm and gorechild. Had to go red for the chainblade housing, gorechild is always red to me.

gallery_92768_11638_37025.jpg

gallery_92768_11638_81323.jpg

He's looking ace GS. You've probably said already but what wash do you use on the white? I haven't got any of the FW primarchs etc but I am seriously tempted by Khârn... what's he like to work on? The naked arm has always bothered me!

The wash I am using is 2.50mL water, 1.50mL nuln oil, 16 drops of glazing medium. It's a bit darker than the first recipe I put together on my test model, which is a shame because I think that one turned out the best...I can't quite replicate it. I spilled some of the nuln oil when I was mixing it so I don't know exactly how much I used.

As far as the Khârn model goes, the only complaint I have is the legion emblems on his knees are SMALL, lol, hard for me to get at all the detail on them. He does come with two shoulder pads, so you don't need to go full bare arm on that side if you don't want.

another weekend, another small update. Got my FW order with some books, some chainaxes, some grav bombard....and a dreadnought drop pod. Here is a pic of the bombard...

gallery_92768_11638_117419.jpg

The Dreadpod is almost finished, i had thought i could get it done in the 2 days since there isn't a whole lot to do but turns out the thing is way freakin huge so it takes more time than i expected given its relative lack of details. I didn't take any pics, but they will be coming soon. I have everything except the fins finished. I first thought i would do a white pod with white fins and blue inserts on the fins but now I think i am going to go for this scheme to bring more blue into the overall army:

WE Phobos Lucius Mk II Drop Pod

Archived