Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DuskRaider's Word Bearers

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

Bearers of the True Word, hear my call!

So I've decided to jump into this year's ETL... call it a lapse of judgement. At first I was going to pledge some of my Death Guard, my main force and the army I've been playing since the beginning of time (Chaos in 40K until FW released HH). However, this past year I started a little side project. At first it was just painting up the FW Word Bearers models, but then it sparked something inside of me. I decided I wanted a Zone Mortalis Word Bearers force. But then I couldn't help myself... I needed more. At this point I'm not 100% sure how many points I'm sitting on, but now it's well past ZM.

So for this year, I'm dedicating myself to completing what I have thus far for the XVIIth. The faithful of the Eightfold Path. The Enlightened Ones. My Word Bearers force is supposed to be The Unspeaking... a bit. Maybe an offshoot. They're fully enthralled in Chaos. Some are corrupted by the powers of the Dark Gods and have fully dedicated themselves to the Pantheon, while others are still in the process (or haven't committed themselves at all). I've tried to capture this mid-transformation by incorporating a lot of the infantry in the Legion's traditional storm grey in various stages of transition to the crimson of the Enlightened. It is not a process dictated by rank in the Legion or favor of the command line, but by favor of the Gods and the Astarte's level of dedication to the Eightfold Path.

I'll be posting the general progress of my army after this introduction, as after the ETL this will become my project log in general. So for ETL 2016 I'm dedicating the following to the cause of AoD:

5 x Gal Vorbak - 260 pts.

-2 x Plasma

-1 x Dark Martyr

-2 x normal GV

10 x Word Bearers Volkite Caliver Tactical Support Squad

10 x Word Bearers Plasma Gunner Tactical Support Squad

10 x Word Bearers Melta Gunner Tactical Support Squad

10 x Word Bearers Volkite Culverin Heavy Support Squad

10 x Word Bearers Heavy Bolter Heavy Support Squad

1 x Word Bearers Contemptor Dreadnought

Pics -

Dark Martyr:

20160514_011715_zpszir5lc9a.jpg

20160514_011719_zpsr0ngh1hs.jpg

Gal Vorbak:

20160514_011611_zpsgiiqq2lz.jpg

20160514_011650_zps7xnyjihc.jpg

20160514_011625_zpsb9t2kgu5.jpg

20160514_011702_zpsbrd4ruwc.jpg

Volkite Caliver Squad:

20160406_164525_zpsuve4jtw8.jpg

Volkite Culverin Squad:

20160406_164641_zpsvfybjuya.jpg

Heavy Bolter Squad:

20160406_164956_zpsvcueoh4x.jpg

Plasma Gunner Squad:

20160406_165224_zpshacvz8mx.jpg

Contemptor Dreadnought:

20160310_130306_zpsscbiwucr.jpg

20160310_130313_zpswv8t3nw6.jpg

20160310_130327_zps5kzxubuz.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider, 02 August 2016 - 07:32 PM.

• the Belgian one, Pearson73, DarkApostle7 and 2 others like this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Alright, so just a rundown of what's been completed thus far for this force:

Zardu Layak:

IMAG0961_zpsqlcixo5h.jpg

Blade Slaves of Anakatis:

IMAG0966_zpswgyzehlp.jpg

IMAG0970_zpslrefrkdh.jpg

Gal Vorbak:

IMAG0978_zps9vovve4v.jpg

IMAG0974_zpsvfgf168b.jpg

IMAG0982_zps41gre6vk.jpg

IMAG0987_zpsrmhhc3tm.jpg

IMAG0992_zpssrevky5j.jpg

• DarkApostle7 likes this

DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Mhara Gal:

20160428_010347_zpss81xl2oq.jpg

20160428_010400_zpsgc2ncshs.jpg

20160428_010413_zpswo7s3vxz.jpg

20160428_010424_zpshv8cuivh.jpg

Despoiler Squads (WIP):

20160511_005843_zpsd0bdqo8v.jpg

20160511_010022_zpsc18zvayt.jpg

20160511_005710_zpsbmowizka.jpg

20160511_010028_zpsyghygzk9.jpg

20160511_010034_zpsuxmaj0st.jpg

20160511_005530_zpsdxmiaszd.jpg

Command Squad (WIP):

20160511_010246_zpsouhg263e.jpg

Diabolist & Praetor (WIP):

20160511_010151_zpsyf3xbppm.jpg

Chaplains (WIP):

20160511_010327_zpsb2ohrq1s.jpg

Terminators (WIP):

20160511_010413_zpsfmjkgoj6.jpg

• Sgt. Blank, Soric, Brother Dallo and 5 others like this

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 493 posts

Impressive work so far - I like the chaplains and other characters a lot. Good luck with ETL!

gallery_29004_12090_2245.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01a.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01b.gifqVQuHsg.pngETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_04.gETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_02.gifCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_00.jpg

foamy248

foamy248

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 455 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders Legion

Completed models look great! The ash-grey is awesome, and Gal Vorbak are really well painted! biggrin.png

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Thanks guys! I've had the idea for this force for quite some time, so it's nice to see it come to fruition.
My bits arrived today, so I was able to arm the Dark Martyr. I wanted to give him the Mace, but also a Power Fist... so I may just count it as a Fist sometimes. I was dead set on the Bloodwrath weapons, though... GW has really outdone themselves lately with their plastic models. Tonight I'm hoping to complete the Melta squad and Wednesday I'll start gap filling on the Gal Vorbak / Dark Martyr.

20160516_131700_zps7sbhnecv.jpg

20160516_131711_zpswsuxwhkx.jpg

20160516_131716_zpsulnnwv0m.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider, 16 May 2016 - 08:55 PM.

• DarkApostle7 likes this

Stormborn

Stormborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 665 posts
  • Faction: Angels Revenant

That is red is excellent.  Some awesome conversons, especially your command squad, how did you make them?

“Anyone who can be proved to be a seditious person is an outlaw before God and the emperor; and whoever is the first to put him to death does right and well. Therefore let everyone who can, smite, slay and stab, secretly or openly, remembering that nothing can be more poisonous, hurtful, or devilish than a rebel."

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Thanks! The red is done using Blood for the Blood God in multiple thin layers over a Leadbelcher base w/ Runefang Silver highlight. It's later lightly washed w/ Baal Red (or whatever the new wash is called) to bring down the gloss.

The Command squad is a mish mash of various bits. The torsos and left pauldrons are FW's Word Bearers bits. The arms are from Evil Craft, and were used due to being much more baroque than normal Space Marine bits. The heads, weapons, and Banner were picked up from Puppets War... they're stuff is awesome. The legs are from Spellcrow. The right spiked pauldrons are from Master Crafted Miniatures, and I cannot endorse his product enough... the army is full of MCM pauldrons, even the Cataphractii are wearing MCM Spiked pauldrons. Last, the power cells are from some old 40K minis... honestly, I'm not even sure what. I'm going to assume Chaos Space Marines, as that's really all I've collected SM wise, but I can't say for sure. They're older and metal. The Standard Bearer's power cell is from the Necrosius model ala FW.

Links:

https://www.forgewor...V-Torso-Upgrade

https://www.forgewor...V-Shoulder-Pads

http://bitsofwar.com...ombat-arms.html

http://puppetswar.co...?id_product=501

http://puppetswar.co...?id_product=580

http://puppetswar.co...?id_product=138

http://puppetswar.co...?id_product=139

http://www.spellcrow...legs-p-237.html

http://mastercrafted...n-shoulderpads/

http://mastercrafted...shoulderpads-R/

https://www.forgewor...Marine-Sorcerer

Stormborn

Stormborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 665 posts
  • Faction: Angels Revenant

Thanks DuskRaider why do I keep forgetting mastercrafted so many nice pads and really good prices.

“Anyone who can be proved to be a seditious person is an outlaw before God and the emperor; and whoever is the first to put him to death does right and well. Therefore let everyone who can, smite, slay and stab, secretly or openly, remembering that nothing can be more poisonous, hurtful, or devilish than a rebel."

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

I'm back with a bit of an update... it's nothing too crazy and no paint yet, but I finished piecing together the Melta and Plasma Tactical Support Squads. The Gal Vorbak have also had their gaps filled with green stuff, so tomorrow I'll be priming the entire ETL vow to begin painting. So here's pics of the Tactical Support Squads and hopefully tomorrow around this time I'll have pics of the Gal Vorbak based.

Melta Tactical Support Squad

20160519_001318_zpstdsgbqqa.jpg

Plasma Tactical Support Squad

20160519_000937_zpsyfg6ykv5.jpg

• Pearson73 and DarkApostle7 like this

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,162 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands

Ace work with Gal Vorbak and Dark Martyr. Really liking the trophies scattered throughout the force. Where did the skeletal wings of the Martyr come from?

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,790 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Great stuff! Every time I see the raw resin of Gal Vorbak I really want some; such great models, and you've done them justice :)

gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_30096.jpg

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts
Thank you! The Dark Martyr's wings and head are Rackham Confrontation bits. The wings are from the appropriately named Winged Skeletons and the head is from the Darkness Elemental.
Unfortunately, the game and minis have been out of production for many years now, which is a pity because they were by far the most beautiful line of models I've ever seen. eBay may have stuff, though and I believe Cool Mini or Not was attempting something of a revival.

Filkarion

Filkarion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 209 posts
  • Faction: Sublime Sound Seekers

Great work! Beautiful conversions and pantjob! I like your style! I would aim at similar resoults of "grimdark realism", unfortunately my attempts usually end in a too dark miniature ^^;; 

(Lately, with chaos I've less of that "realistic and dirty" approach, to a more managable (for me) tabletop quality)

Any suggestion?

I also remember confrontation... still have a Wolfen army and a box of Devourers from Ragnarok (don't even remember where and why I picked them up)...

I immediatly recognized the "morbid angel" wings (undead had some great models....well, every faction), those where the finest bit.

Thanks also for reminding me of the Devourers box! Will use one as a Chaos Spawn for this Etl

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2016_Medal_02_Primus_Inter_Pares.gifETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpgETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gifETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Xenos_TyraniMy Sublime Sound Seekers Slaanesh army

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts
Yeah man, Confrontation was such a great game. The mechanics were just about flawless and the models were top notch... it's a shame the company went belly up, it's the game that got me really into tabletop. I still have a ton of models and I think my full Ophidian army is somewhere, but unfortunately after a decade of not being used its all in shambles.
Morbid Angels, that's what they were! Like the band. The best advice I have to anyone is, if you can get your hands in the metal Rackham models, don't hesitate. Even just for bits.
I should have an update tonight, the Gal Vorbak and Contemptor have been primed. I'm still working up to priming the 40 infantry models...

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts
As for suggestions, do you have a thread? Post up a thread of your stuff so we can see what you've got.

Filkarion

Filkarion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 209 posts
  • Faction: Sublime Sound Seekers

Ook, a bit ashamed, but I will open one now; at the time I have only crappy pics of the painted stuff, so be warned^^;;

Edit: opened my first wip thread here

http://www.bolterand...the-100-sigils/

Edited by Filkarion, 19 May 2016 - 03:25 PM.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gifETL_2016_Medal_02_Primus_Inter_Pares.gifETL_2016_Badge_08_Badge_of_the_Hero.jpgETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gifETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Xenos_TyraniMy Sublime Sound Seekers Slaanesh army

DarkApostle7

DarkApostle7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 199 posts
  • Faction: word bearers

Wow, your word bearers are very censored.gif good, the red is just perfect and all of your added bits are exactly how Id imagine them, amazing work, I cant express how much I like 'em laugh.png

"if a man gathers ten thousand suns in his hands...if a man seeds a hunderd thousand worlds with his sons and daughters, granting them custody of the galaxy itself.. if aman guides a million vessels bteween the infinite stars with a mere thought...Then i pray you tell me, if you are able, how such a man is anything less than a god."-Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the word bearers

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Here's a quick update for Week One of ETL. The Dark Martyr's armour has been completed and I've begun his red pauldrons and knee guard. He'll end up having a similar scheme to the Command Squad and Chaplains, just a lot more... corrupt.

The Gal Vorbak have gotten two coats of Blood for the Blood God on their armour, they'll only need another coat or two before I begin the wash. I'm going to refrain from constant updates and limit them to once a week, when I also update the AoD ETL thread. So until next Sunday, have a great week! Also, C&C is appreciated (for everything in the thread).

Dark Martyr

20160522_013905_zpsuqjqpcau.jpg

20160522_013918_zpsd2rsjsyj.jpg

Gal Vorbak

20160522_013938_zps5sibfjpj.jpg

This guy has been updated since the first shots. He's received a tentacle on his power cell and you can see I used a Bloodletter arm for this Mantid Arm.

20160522_013953_zpsnk3im34k.jpg

20160522_014002_zpsfttbqkxv.jpg

20160522_014021_zpsoty3hznm.jpg

20160522_014038_zps3qewufln.jpg

Group Shot

20160522_014103_zpsl54wwkgr.jpg

• Pearson73 likes this

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,162 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands
Nice progress, these guys are looking ace.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Well, as promised, here's my Week Two Update!

They're not quite finished, a few odds and ends (weapons, lenses, parchements, and some of the green flame). I'll most likely forego waiting until next week and just post them when they're done. So here you go, guys...

20160528_132157_zps68qjuxof.jpg

20160528_132211_zpsnkcpmvjk.jpg

20160528_132221_zpselxumns5.jpg

20160528_132228_zpsghgavjnw.jpg

20160528_132240_zpsvcngd1nd.jpg

20160528_132247_zpsp6kwaphp.jpg

20160528_132259_zpsj4fsx7xh.jpg

20160528_132308_zpsgsgqvesf.jpg

20160528_132320_zpstltiofof.jpg

20160528_132330_zpsmc033337.jpg

20160528_132343_zps5zn2hwvi.jpg

20160528_132350_zps4dcnehop.jpg

20160528_132428_zpsdgayjtds.jpg

• Pearson73 likes this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

WELP.... as promised, I finished these guys and here they are. Worked through the night to make sure they were finished within 24 hours of my first update... so here you are, I also took pics of the whole unit and all of my possessed Word Bearers as well just for the hell of it.

Dark Martyr

20160529_145715_zpsdq0ibwbo.jpg\

20160529_145732_zpssogve8vo.jpg

20160529_145741_zpsd1qcktm0.jpg

Gal Vorbak Plasma Gunner #1 - This guy has gold tattoos all over his face to emulate Lorgar and what I also did with Zardu Layak. It's kind of hard to pick out the detail, but it's there.

20160529_145756_zpszxhphwl9.jpg

20160529_145800_zpsekpsmezy.jpg

20160529_145806_zpseolh2tns.jpg

20160529_145814_zpsg4dpfw6i.jpg

Gal Vorbak Plasma Gunner #2

20160529_145852_zpslwgnm5c4.jpg

20160529_145858_zpsk6sdrpoa.jpg

20160529_145909_zps3ac9mb0z.jpg

Gal Vorbak

20160529_145826_zpsk5ztzw4f.jpg

20160529_145831_zpsxwhfaycv.jpg

20160529_145924_zps8tpvq064.jpg

20160529_145928_zpspb9zonyo.jpg

20160529_145935_zpsx2xfptrn.jpg

Gal Vorbak Squad

20160529_150130_zpsooarquvx.jpg

The Blessed Ones

20160529_150154_zpshfvs8sps.jpg

• Pearson73 and Luna707 like this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Week Three Update:

Well, I wish I had more to show. Between toiling away at a Tyranid commission I'm doing and family life, progress was slow this week. I'm not sure if I'm satisfied with the red on the Contemptor yet, I may do another layer or two. The Plasma Gunners have been separated into two groups: those in Crimson Clad and those still Storm Grey.

The Crimson guys have only received one layer of Blood for the Blood God so far, they'll get a couple more before washing.

After taking the pictures, I noticed I never highlighted the grey in the other Marines... ugh.

I've decided all Tactical Support Squad Astartes will have silver helms. This will help pick them out in a crowd, and I think it looks pretty cool. Not too sure what I'm going to do to differentiate the Heavy Support SquadSquad.

In any case, here's the pics. I'm hoping to have more to show next week.

20160605_012609_zpsrbehywp1.jpg

20160605_012615_zpsy0r2dde7.jpg

20160605_012659_zpswmsrkqk7.jpg

20160605_012735_zpsdaubtejt.jpg

• Soric likes this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Well... here's another update. It's not ETL related, but it's definitely Word Bearers. My Word Bearers Contemptor finally arrived and I eagerly pieced him together. Unfortunately, he won't be touched until I'm done with my first vow... which may be a while. If I finish the first vow by August 15th, this guy will be my second vow.

20160606_134143_zpsh6xznfqt.jpg

20160606_134149_zpscdkazf7f.jpg

20160606_134157_zpsshnsqazq.jpg

20160606_134203_zpsc7lnfatp.jpg

• Argent aquila likes this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,222 posts

Week 5 ETL Update:

Hail, Bearers of the True Word. I bring you updates to my vow... albeit, still not complete. So unfortunately, I've had a hectic week. It's the last week of school for my kids, then they go to Texas with their mother for the summer... so I've been trying to get as much time with them as I can before they leave. This means my Plasma Gunners and Contemptor are still not finished, BUT... they're just about there. I did a fair amount in a week's time, including the skin tone on those without helms, and also the Iconography on the pauldrons, which I'm really pleased with. I wanted the flame to look metallic, yet show the color of fire (as is usually represented in Word Bearers iconography, that is). These will be completed by next Sunday, then I'll move on to the rest.

20160621_233214_zpslavmjks0.jpg

20160621_233228_zpsyjelqhxb.jpg

20160621_233415_zpshogj6os4.jpg

20160621_233303_zpssxzjmj5r.jpg

20160621_233342_zpskogzov4z.jpg

20160621_233309_zpsenwqdtsi.jpg

• Kizzdougs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users