Believe it or not, this is actually a project I've wanted to do for ages. Whilst I realise the limitations to a list such as this, I feel that it is capable in many other ways from a conventional Marine list and remarkably fluffy.

1000 points, Baal Strike Force

:HQ:

Captain

~ Artificier Armour

~ Combi-melta, relic blade, melta bombs, auspex

~ Storm shield or Veritas Vitae

~ Warlord

:Elite:

Command Squad

~ Meltagun (3)

~ Drop Pod

:Troops:

Scout Squad (10)

~ Sniper rifle (8)

~ Heavy bolter with hellfire shells

~ Boltgun, melta bombs

Scout Squad (10)

~ Bolt pistol, close combat weapon (7)

~ Shotgun (2)

~ Veteran Sergeant, melta bombs, bolt pistol, chainsword

Scout Squad (10)

~ Bolt pistol, close combat weapon (7)

~ Shotgun (2)

~ Veteran Sergeant, melta bombs, bolt pistol, chainsword

Scout Squad (10)

~ Boltgun (9)

~ Boltgun, melta bombs

:FA:

Scout Bike Squadron (3)

~ Astartes grenade launcher (2)

~ Combi-grav, melta bombs

:HS:

Tarantula Sentry Gun Battery (2)

~ Twin-linked lascannon, camo netting (1)

~ Multi-melta, searchlight, camo netting (1)

Options

Captain will arrive with the Command Squad as this is the best way to keep up with the Scouts. Torn between a storm shield (with this being my only real "beat" squad, I'll probably need to tank stuff) and the Veritas Vitae for that tactical advantage (thinking here to Infiltrate the Tarantulas, possibility of getting Night fight, Stealth in Ruins across the board, and/or other such stuff). Bikes will either Outflank or Scout to make use of the combi-grav. Not sure what best synergises with the grenade launcher though...

I've also opted for a BSF to make use of the two (possibly four) combat Scout Squads. Whilst I could use a CAD with potentially eight Objective Secured Squads, I don't feel that they have the durability to pull it off, even if the stars align and I get Stealth everywhere.

One interesting twist is that I could trim the "shooty units" from above and use it in conjunction with the 10th Company Task Force from Codex: Space Marines. This could represent the "Elite Scouts" of the BA army and I could even use Telion to represent Captain Borgio of our 10th Company.

Thoughts?

Edited by Jolemai
Title & tags

How are you getting the turrets on the board/ get the melta in range, or do they deep strike? 

With Tarantulas you get two options: either you Deep Strike them or you can give them camo netting (Stealth) which means starting on the board. By using the Veritas Vitae I maximise the chance of getting the Warlord Trait that allows me to Infiltrate them, thus negating the melta concern.

Alternatively, I drop a melta bomb upgrade on the sniper Scouts and take two TLLC Tarantulas.

It would probably be best to drop the melta bombs on the sniper squad and get TLLC as anything the melta's are meant for probably won't come anywhere near them unless its like a dreadnought on a drop pod.

Could do, but given that the upgrades cost the same and that they act autonomously anyway, I could take the MM in a different slot and drop it in...

I like it, very fluffy and fun. I think it'll be surprisingly effective too...!

Telion is very cool, but much better as a warlord because of his trait. Stick him next to some Vanilla whirlwinds and have fun:

S4 AP5 Rend/ Shred/ Pin/ Ignore Cover Large Blasts!

But then you lose the BA Flair. Honestly at this points level just the massed scouts with furious charge hitting the enemy will probably do some real damage, especially with tooled up Sarges.

Woah :blink.:  A Command Squad and Sentry guns?!  Maybe I'm not looking everywhere, but that seems original.

It's all in C:BA bar the Tarantulas which are in Imperial Armour volume II Second Edition - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes. If you're bored/interested there's a guide/review thingy here - just bear in mind that the article has a heavy BA slant.

Woah :blink.:  A Command Squad and Sentry guns?!  Maybe I'm not looking everywhere, but that seems original.

It's all in C:BA bar the Tarantulas which are in Imperial Armour volume II Second Edition - War Machines of the Adeptus Astartes. If you're bored/interested there's a guide/review thingy here - just bear in mind that the article has a heavy BA slant.

Oh yeah, the units are well known to me, but together in a list?  That's seems different to me.  The list is inspirational in that it seems out-of-the-box ... and I have a lot f Scouts and Tarantula guns ;)

Don't Tarantulas have a maximum range of 18" no matter what you put on them? Or is that only if you want 360 degree coverage?

Only if you want a 360° coverage. Otherwise it's 36" with a fixed 90° arc.

What do the guns run you points wise, I think a MM dread dropping in could make an interesting addition to this list.

Give you a bit of flexibility for who to drop in first too...

EDC

The TLLC and camp netting is seven melta bombs. The MM version is one melts bomb less.

So other than the points difference, I'm not sure how fluffy a Dreadnought would be as I don't believe the 10th Company have them...

I'm always a bit iffy with Objective Secured as I've never really needed it. However STR 5 INT 5 Blood Angels on the charge... :wub.: As for the re-rolls, it depends if I really need them when I'm rolling on there twice already...

• 1 year later...

Got a 1k game booked in so I thought I'd revamp this and see how it would do in the 8th Edition. I've tried to keep it as close to the original as possible - oh, and the game is scheduled for the 28th:

1000 points, Blood Angels

Battalion Detachment

Captain

~ Combi-melta, relic blade

Chaplain

~ Combi-melta

Company Veterans (2)

~ Chainsword, combi-melta (2)

~ Drop Pod

~~ Deathwind missile launcher

Scouts (10)

~ Boltgun (9)

~ Heavy bolter (1)

Scouts (10)

~ Combat weapons (8)

~ Shotgun (2)

Scouts (10)

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle (9)

~ Camo cloak, missile launcher (1)

Scout Bike Squad (3)

~ Grenade launcher (2)

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin heavy bolter

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin lascannon

Thoughts:

• 30 Scouts to either be split into combat squads or to stick together. Likely to break down the snipers and *maybe* the bolters.
  • Pod arrives with all the meltas for anything tasty - would plasmas and sticking the Pod's stormbolter be better this edition?

• Bikes harass chaff - opted for the stronger weaponry over extra shots in case it's needed...?

• Tarantulas for some cheap heavy weapons

Edited by Jolemai

Interesting list. I don't think it's extremely strong for 1k points but if you can keep the Scouts in cover it should be fine (really, I do think the game could stand or fall depending on cover...which would seriously suck against Imperial Fists, Iron Warriors or T'au with enough Markerlights).

• 10 months later...

So yeah, I never got around to writing that up. It's on my to-do list...

Anyway, I had a game with this last night and i'm posting the list here for posterity (and to link it to the report that will eventually be done...) Changes in red:

Battalion Detachment

Captain

~ Warlord: Artisan of War

~ Veritas Vitae

Chaplain

~ Combi-melta

Company Veterans (3)

~ Chainsword, combi-grav

~ Drop Pod

~~ Storm bolter

Scouts (6)

~ Chainsword, storm bolter

~ Boltgun (3)

~ Combat knife (1)

~ Heavy bolter (1)

Scouts (7)

Chainsword, bolt pistol

~ Combat weapons (6)

Scouts (7)

Chainsword, bolt pistol

~ Combat weapons (3)

~ Shtogun (3)

Scouts (10)

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle, chainsword

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle (8)

Scout Bike Squad (3)

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin heavy bolter

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin lascannon

Right. Most of the changes are moving to Codex from Index, but I was up against a chap playing his first 8th edition game so I wanted it to be as WYSIWYG as possible for ease of playing. Hence, the choppy Squad has been split into two and the bolter Squad has been reduced somewhat. As the list evolves I'll likely make further changes as I use it so I'm happy to hear any C&C - just remember that its a themed list so it has to fit with a Scout force!

So yeah, I never got around to writing that up. It's on my to-do list...

Anyway, I had a game with this last night and i'm posting the list here for posterity (and to link it to the report that will eventually be done...) Changes in red:

Battalion Detachment

Captain

~ Veritas Vitae

Chaplain

~ Combi-melta

Company Veterans (3)

~ Chainsword, combi-grav

~ Drop Pod

~~ Storm bolter

Scouts (6)

~ Boltgun (3)

~ Combat knife (1)

~ Heavy bolter (1)

Scouts (7)

Chainsword, bolt pistol

~ Combat weapons (6)

Scouts (7)

Chainsword, bolt pistol

~ Combat weapons (3)

~ Shtogun (3)

Scouts (10)

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle, chainsword

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle (8)

Scout Bike Squad (3)

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin heavy bolter

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin lascannon

Right. Most of the changes are moving to Codex from Index, but I was up against a chap playing his first 8th edition game so I wanted it to be as WYSIWYG as possible for ease of playing. Hence, the choppy Squad has been split into two and the bolter Squad has been reduced somewhat. As the list evolves I'll likely make further changes as I use it so I'm happy to hear any C&C - just remember that its a themed list so it has to fit with a Scout force!

Battle report to see how it got on.

• 2 weeks later...

Spur of the moment game last night, went with the following updated list (changes in red):

1000 points, Scout List

Blood Angels Battalion Detachment

Captain

~ Vertias Vitae

Chaplain

~ Bolter

Company Veterans (3)

~ Chainsword, storm shield (1)

Scouts (5)

~ Boltgun (3)

~ Heavy bolter (1)

Scouts (5)

~ Combat blade, bolt pistol (1)

~ Shotgun (3)

Scouts (6)

~ Combat blade, bolt pistol (5)

Scouts (8)

~ Camo cloak, combi-flamer, chainsword

~ Camo cloak, sniper rifle (6)

Blood Angels Vanguard Detachment

Sanguinary Priest

~ Power sword, bolt pistol

Deathstorm Drop Pod

~ Deathstorm cannon array

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin assault cannon

Tarantula Sentry Gun

~ Twin lascannon

Musings

• CP increased to 9 with two Detachments. Needed a new HQ hence the Priest (theme-wise I figure Scouts will have their own Apothecary to monitor them and train any Novitaes)
  • WYSIWYG as much as possible, hence the weapon downgrades and no Scout Bikes :sleep:though I have consistently put storm bolters on the sergeants to make up the points...
  • I figured a Deathstorm Pod would be fluffy and I've always wanted to try one...
  • Assault cannons over heavy bolters for more dakka, target control, etc.
  • Concerns are that I'm still relying on too many immobile units (4) and I'm too light up top. Also, the command is on foot (hence the storm shield) so I don't know how they will do...

Edited by Jolemai