Vairocanum's Projects (9/28/2020 Dark Mechanicus Cultist)

Wow, amazing Salamander character, excellent choice of bits! Also, is it me or the helmet is a regular space marine helm with a lizardmen ornament glued to the muzzle? Such a great idea!

Thanks Traitor! The head is made from a beaky helmet with the mouth from a space wolf backpack, with the lizard frills being from a dark elf corsair cape. I'm glad you like it, the whole model was made just to use the head actually haha.

Oh yes! The reworked salamander looks great with that great mix of bits and the added sculpting work.

Death Guard in the future sounds like a grand idea!

Thanks hushrong! I wanted to re-do the sculpting given that I've had some more practice of the past few months. Hopefully in the next month or two I can start on the Death Guard.

I have to agree fantastic use of bits brother and just generally an awesome conversion. I like the way you went about your Dragon helm I very well may end up trying something similar on Ahriman. Keep up the awesome work man !!

Thanks Pyroclast! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your ahriman conversion done, I'm sure your dragon helm will turn out great!

​One Hell of a kitbash it ROCKS !!!!

Thanks deathspectersgt7! I'm quite satisfied with the kitbash considering my limited amount of non-marine bits.

Uih. That priest is cool. Where did you get those flowing thingies? Stola? Scarf? Wpuld fit perfectly to my wardens and saves me the stress.of making them oit of plasticncarx^^

Thanks Mikhal! Those are from a banner/icon thing from tomb kings skeleton warriors. 

This week I finished this true scale blackshield for my INQ28 warband. My camera was not really being cooperative this week so pictures are a bit out of focus. It is made with Doghouse's simple true scale method, but the tartaros legs were a bit shorter so I had to add some height in the torso and feet to make it tall enough. I've always been a fan of physical battle damage on models rather than just painted on, so I really cut up the model as much as I could. The general idea for his fluff will probably be one of a few survivors of his chapter that fell to tyranids. Next week I'll finally update with the Inquisitor himself as he has sort of been in limbo for a couple weeks cause I had trouble deciding what parts to use on him. C&C is appreciated.

*snip*

Hey dude! Love this true-scaled marine! How simple is the process to make these?

Also, the Salamanders guy looks badass. Very cool!

Thanks Capt. Jack! Its actually a really easy method by Doghouse (link). A quick rundown would be to use the Tartaros chestplates with a regular space marine back and just GS to make a smooth transition for both parts and that is the bulk of the conversion. Arms, head are just standard parts. Cataphractii legs work better height-wise, so if you want to use Tartaros legs you would need to add spacers in the feet and when connecting legs to the torso.

I've got a few questions I'm hoping people can give some suggestions for.

Firstly regarding the warband itself, I plan on rebuilding the assassin at some point but I'm sort of stuck wondering what else I should build for the warband. Right now it consists of: inquisitor, interrogator, blackshield, primaris psyker, techpriest, imperial guard veteran, assassin, priest, familiar.

Secondly I tried to build a servitor for the INQ28 warband but wasn't really satisfied with any of the attempts that I've made so far so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of what base models would be good for servitors? I want to make a bipedal servitor that is of larger size. I've seen some stuff made from stormcast eternals, ogryns, and mechanicus robots but I'd like to hear some other options as well.

Thirdly this model came about when trying to build a servitor. I think I'll use it as a second familiar but haven't decided for sure, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on what else to add to him cause I'm not sure if i should leave him as is or add more onto him so any input would be appreciated. I'll still update this thread on Sunday.

http://i.imgur.com/tUkfzY3.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

First: maybe a jokaero? Every warband is better with some space monkeys on it and its a conversion you don't see that frequently, I would like a lot to see your take on one of those!

Second: How bigger would you like this servitor to be? I would try out the mechanicum corpuscarii kit but if you really want something large the vampite count crypt horror could be a good base, but would need a lot of greenstuff to get mechanized a bit and some serious bone removal :P!

Third: I like a lot that kitbash, great conversion for a familiar. However in the photo it seems like it doesn't has kneens, an element I would definitely add!!

First: maybe a jokaero? Every warband is better with some space monkeys on it and its a conversion you don't see that frequently, I would like a lot to see your take on one of those!

Second: How bigger would you like this servitor to be? I would try out the mechanicum corpuscarii kit but if you really want something large the vampite count crypt horror could be a good base, but would need a lot of greenstuff to get mechanized a bit and some serious bone removal :tongue.:!

Third: I like a lot that kitbash, great conversion for a familiar. However in the photo it seems like it doesn't has kneens, an element I would definitely add!!

Thanks Traitor! The jokaero is a great idea! I might do a count as though instead of an actual monkey. I'll look into the vampire count crypt horrors for the servitor and see if I can convert it properly. He actually does have knees, its just the picture angle and the GS rags go down till his knee making him seem like that. 

If you want to super size your servitor you could use an ogryn from the 40k range or Ogors from AoS.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ogors

Could make some nice base heavy workers...

Thanks Celestial Guardian! I'll look into the ogors to see if I can do anything with them. 

This Nurgle Champion was the last model I finished 4 years ago, so I thought it would be fitting to make this the first painted model of the year. I'm considering doing my small force Death Guard in these colors as well but with maybe a little more green showing. This was sort of a one off model so I'm thinking about using him as an enemy to oppose my inquisitor warband (also thinking about making a slaanesh champion as well). C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/eihSnMR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bWF9V9n.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qDiHfv6.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

This might be the model I've seen most conversions of in my whole life, though yours is really good, glad to see you painting again at last!! Go on and make a DG force, chaos needs as many players as possible for the battle to come!

Edit: also it would be really great to see your take on a jokaero, I might be needing to make large amouts of them in a near future (thirty to be accurate) and I have no idea of what to do but I'm sure you would come up with an awesome conversion ... :P

Edited by The Traitor

This might be the model I've seen most conversions of in my whole life, though yours is really good, glad to see you painting again at last!! Go on and make a DG force, chaos needs as many players as possible for the battle to come!

Edit: also it would be really great to see your take on a jokaero, I might be needing to make large amouts of them in a near future (thirty to be accurate) and I have no idea of what to do but I'm sure you would come up with an awesome conversion ... :tongue.:

Thanks Traitor! The model was something I finished 4 years ago and I just wanted to get him done, unfortunately it has snowed again in Canada so no where to prime models for a while. I'm definitely gonna at least finish the previous work I've done on my DG force, but I might expand the force after new models come out. I am thinking about making a jokaero based on a bloodletter daemon, but I'm still dryfitting parts to see what works at the moment. 

A conversion feast for the eyes! That death watch captian looks awesome. He definitely makes me think of classic 40k artwork of grim dark. The fallen and ultramarine are also great pieces too. Definitely good bits put to great use!

Thanks Hushrong! Thank you for calling it a "conversion feast" instead of hobby ADD haha. I'm glad you like the models, I have a problem where I prefer special characters over regular troops so I end up building random things unless i have a specific project like the deathwatch squad and INQ28.

This week i finished this rogue trader for INQ28. I wanted to do something with this Vostroyan Officer model for some time now but couldn't think of a way to use it, but while researching for new members to add to my inquisitor's warband I found some of the artwork for rogue traders was quite similar to the officer model and I ended up with this. Getting rid of the head and powerfist was fairly difficult because the dremel bit slipped a few times and had to patch up the mistakes. However overall I am quite pleased with the model given the simple arm and head swaps. If anyone has some other ideas for retinue members feel free to give a suggestion, C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/9Z1XRyo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/txgWn0C.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/GqwNop2.jpg
Edited by Vairocanum

Liking the Nurgle champ; I do think the teeth in the gut need to pop more, though, and he could use more glistening drooly fluids leaking out of the mouth down the belly (Tamiya clear acrylics are perfect for this sort of thing). Equally, the head needs to pop more too; maybe just shade up the colours somewhat so it is more distinct from the rest of the model.

Great model, the change might not be huge but the final result is much better! Vostroyans always make for a good start for a conversion :P.

As for aditional warband members if you're already working on a jokaero and a servitor why not make a daemonhost? The GW mini might suck, but I've seen some cool conversions around the internet of them and with your skill I'm sure you would end up with something awesome.

Liking the Nurgle champ; I do think the teeth in the gut need to pop more, though, and he could use more glistening drooly fluids leaking out of the mouth down the belly (Tamiya clear acrylics are perfect for this sort of thing). Equally, the head needs to pop more too; maybe just shade up the colours somewhat so it is more distinct from the rest of the model.

Thanks for the tips Svartmetall! I'll give Tamiya clear acrylics a try when I can pick some up. I like having a more dull and muted color scheme for my nurgle so I had refrained from making the head more distinct.

Great model, the change might not be huge but the final result is much better! Vostroyans always make for a good start for a conversion :tongue.:.

As for aditional warband members if you're already working on a jokaero and a servitor why not make a daemonhost? The GW mini might suck, but I've seen some cool conversions around the internet of them and with your skill I'm sure you would end up with something awesome.

Thanks Traitor! Agreed on the versatility of Vostroyan models! I think having a daemonhost would be a tad radical for this warband, but its definitely a good idea for the opposing warband of some dark mechanicus magos that I plan on doing at some point.

Good job on the Rogue Trader.

Thanks Bjorn Firewalker! Glad you liked him!

The rogue trader is fantastic fella!

Thanks NightHunters! I'm glad the simple head and arm swaps worked out nicely!

The rogue trader is awesome as everyone has said.

What about some armsmen or enforcers/body guards to go with him?

Thanks hushrong! I hadn't thought about that, as I was only thinking about people working for the inquisitor and forgot about people working for the rogue trader. I'll start digging through my bits box for suitable base models.

Certainly looks the part as a  grimdark, swash-buckling space-farer.

Second the armsmen suggestion.

Thanks sockwithaticket! I'm glad he conveys the swash-buckling aspect, choosing which bits probably took more time than the actual converting itself :biggrin.:.

So this week I was originally dry fitting various INQ28 models but after seeing Capt. Jack's amazing Terran born Dark Angel, I decided to finish up a model that I have had sitting in pieces for over a month. I wanted to use the cape piece from the assault on black reach captain and eventually planned out parts to use with the BoP box set but never got farther than that till a few days ago. This model had a lot of "fiddly" details so I ended up being a day late to my usual Sunday update due to lack of hobby time. I wanted to have the model stabbing something but wasn't sure what at first and then decided on  having the victim being another marine (so probably during the Fall of Caliban). After looking at the pictures I still need to fix where the sword connects to the dead marine but overall I'm quite pleased with how the model turned out. C&C is appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/xNaVHrP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/h81ztBE.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum

You bastard!!! That dark angel.looks so awesome. It makes me wanna steal it. Give it to me!!!.

Has really a lot of character.

Would stab the marine through the helmet, i think it would add to the marine

Really really great

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

As usual great conversion. He's full of character and is quite menacing, it's fun to see how many people are press moulding that dead marine bit lately :wink:! Also from where is that sword from? You have such a varied supply of bits!

Thanks Traitor! I'm glad he comes off as menacing, I was definitely aiming for a more grim look. The dead marine bit is one of my favorite to come out of the BoP box set so I had to press mold to use multiple times. The sword is from the Dark Angels Deathwing Terminator box. I used to get dumped all extra bits from my friends in exchange for converting stuff they wanted so I still have a lot of random bits stockpiled.

Beautiful work, and a tribute to a classic model too

Thanks OakRiver! I'm glad you like the model, and its kinda hard to believe how old Assault on Black Reach is now haha.

Nailed it. 

That's :censored: fantastic

Thanks sockwithaticket! It took a while to clean the cape and choose bits so I'm glad you approve!

You bastard!!! That dark angel.looks so awesome. It makes me wanna steal it. Give it to me!!!.

Has really a lot of character.

Would stab the marine through the helmet, i think it would add to the marine

Really really great

Thanks Mikhal! I feel the same way about your primarchs haha! I definitely want to try my hand at creating some of my own in the future. I was originally wanted to stab the marine in the neck but it didn't work out with positioning on the base so I left it in the chest instead. Looking forward to seeing more Wardens and Primarchs from you!

the Dark angel looks ace, any pictures on the back?

Thanks Hathis! The back was just the standard bit from the Assault on Black Reach Captain with a MKIII back pack but here you go:

http://i.imgur.com/cJ565rA.jpg

Sweet dark angel!

Thanks hushrong! Glad you like him!

Top job with the Dark Angel, Brother!

Thanks Capt. Jack! Your amazing models definitely helped inspire and motivate me to do more 30k stuff. Looking forward to seeing more legions from you!

Awesome work man that dark Angel is fantastic I also really like your Nurgle champ and I say you should definitely do a DG force I've always considered it myself purely for the modeling opportunities.

Thanks Pyro! I've basically got the DG force all in pieces so I'll probably but it together some point later this year. DG is definitely a great force for converting, but I think I'll keep the normal troops sort of more basic nurgle, but I've got some ideas for converting special characters like daemon prince and Typhus.

Went on a weekend trip and had to write a midterm on Monday so I missed my Sunday update again, need to make sure it doesn't happen again this week. This is a 30k Blood Angels Captain with power sword and bolter I kitbashed for The Great Baalite Bake Off. I wanted to make a more rough looking captain that would eventually become a Flesh Tearer so I went with a Space Wolf head with sideburns shaved off. I copied the right shoulder pad design from an older book image to signify captaincy. Figuring out how to do the shoulder strap for the bolter was a challenge but I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out. I also went down to my local train hobby store and picked up some rivets for the first time, it's not all perfectly even but I'm satisfied with the result given the fact that it was my first time using them. Thanks for looking and C&C is appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/V7zgZ0G.jpg

More Angles:

http://i.imgur.com/ZCF52yA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/KlQGkYy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zSDILtZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LBphpcS.jpg

Edited by Vairocanum