+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

So having finished what was on my bench (20 converted cultists/mutant rabble) I grab my next project: a handful of Terminators. They're all of a basic, usable loadout except for one: he was built years ago simply because a Terminator with dual claws is one of the coolest looking things out there. Not necessarily wanting to paint him as part of the squad proper, I think "you know, that would make a good model to paint up in a different scheme, just for fun." So I set him aside and decided I'd come back to him after finishing the other four in the glorious sapphire and black garnet of my Scourged.

Cue today, I jump online and see this thread is alive and well, and that, lucky me, single models are allowed for a vow. Gentleman, Tzeentch has made his serendipitous presence known and I have found the inspiration for my dual claw mate. I'll dig around with the various warbands out there, find a scheme and story I like, and then return with a proper vow and photo. It'll most likely be all I contribute, but I'll gladly join the fray.

...then again, making a Warpsmith for my warband who is a converted Iron Warrior has been an idea for a while... maybe that'll happen too.

When can we actually start to paint. I'm dying to start!

Saturday the 27th. So if you're in NZ or AUS you can start painting now.

Don't forget to post the number of points for your vow :)

Painting starts on Sept 3rd, no? That's what the first post of the thread says...

Painting starts on Sept 3rd, no? That's what the first post of the thread says...

+ OFFICIAL EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT +

Since waiting for another week-and-a-half before starting to paint is crazy, the start date shall be brought forward to Saturday 27th August. There is no start time so whenever you wake up and it's the 27th in your part of the world, you are allowed to start.

In addition to this, you have until the 27th to modify your current vows in the following ways:

• By adding one or multiple units to your vow;
  • By modifying the wargear of your currently vowed units.
You cannot under any circumstance remove any of the units that you have already pledged to paint.

End of announcement.

+ + + + +

So having finished what was on my bench (20 converted cultists/mutant rabble) I grab my next project: a handful of Terminators. They're all of a basic, usable loadout except for one: he was built years ago simply because a Terminator with dual claws is one of the coolest looking things out there. Not necessarily wanting to paint him as part of the squad proper, I think "you know, that would make a good model to paint up in a different scheme, just for fun." So I set him aside and decided I'd come back to him after finishing the other four in the glorious sapphire and black garnet of my Scourged.

Cue today, I jump online and see this thread is alive and well, and that, lucky me, single models are allowed for a vow. Gentleman, Tzeentch has made his serendipitous presence known and I have found the inspiration for my dual claw mate. I'll dig around with the various warbands out there, find a scheme and story I like, and then return with a proper vow and photo. It'll most likely be all I contribute, but I'll gladly join the fray.

...then again, making a Warpsmith for my warband who is a converted Iron Warrior has been an idea for a while... maybe that'll happen too.

Sorry for not seeing your post Scourged, great to have you with us :)

If you do indeed create an ex-Iron Warrior Warpsmith, make sure you still give him features that identify him as a Son of Perturabo :)

+ OFFICIAL EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT +

Since waiting for another week-and-a-half before starting to paint is crazy, the start date shall be brought forward to Saturday 27th August. There is no start time so whenever you wake up and it's the 27th in your part of the world, you are allowed to start.

In addition to this, you have until the 27th to modify your current vows in the following ways:

• By adding one or multiple units to your vow;
  • By modifying the wargear of your currently vowed units.
You cannot under any circumstance remove any of the units that you have already pledged to paint.

End of announcement.

+ + + + +

Ah, yeah, sorry Kierdale, I forgot to edit the original post X)

Great to have you with us Larkyn smile.png

Only a few hours left before the true start of the event !!! Are your brushes ready?

My brush has been ready, brothers!!!

That is as it should be smile.png

Wait we have started?! censored.gif I knew I shouldnt have drank all that King Goblin. Ill makd my vow and start tomorrow when I sober up.

Ah, if it's King Goblin, you're excused smile.png got any way of sending some over to Switzerland ?

Here's my Vow Pictures:

That's great Larkyn, I'm sure those Basilisks will make short work of the feeble fists thumbsup.gif would you be able to edit your vow to add them in ?

I've got a little suggestion to submit to you all:

I've just started an Ironman mode game in Crusader Kings II, so I've unlocked my very first Steam achievements (woohoo!), and I'd been having a look at the Space Wolves special medals. It got me thinking: would you be interested in me organising some special achievement for the Iron Without? Thinks like:

• Member of the Trident: complete three Warsmiths (for 30k) or three Chaos Lords or Warpsmiths (for 40k) worth 150 points or more.
  • Dodekatheon: complete at least one Fortification.
  • Warsmith Unchallenged: complete seven vows, including a single Warsmith (for 30k) or Chaos Lord or Warpsmith(for 40k) worth 150 points or more - no other independent character may be created.
  • Iron Circle: complete three or more models of the Iron Circle over the course of the event.
  • etc.

What do you think? This would have no impact on the results of the event, but I thought I'd be able to create a few medallions for them smile.png

I know I'm only a guy doing a single model for a OOC vow, but I'd like to say that I think a system of "achievements" is a neat idea. I know Captain Semper did something similar in the last Loyalty and Treachery with consul ranks, but this sounds like a neat twist on the idea.

What's even better news, our total points vowed is currently 4497 points, and this amount does not take into account Lord Commander Eidolon's and undeadsoldier's vows, as I don't know their points values. That is an average vow of 321.2 points, which is much greater then the Imperial Fists' meagre 226.5 average vow ( :P ) If we continue recruiting at this rate, I think we'll make this a great event, and we'll stand a very good chance of truly rivaling the Imperial Fists and their successors.

27 participants, 7872 points pledged, and an average vow value which has jumped up to 291.5 points per person. Looks like we've bounced back a bit. ;)

Brothers.  I present to you, my completed 1st vow:  Gorgos Kull, Warsmith (Chaos Lord) of the 26th Grand Company, clad in Terminator Armour w/Chainfist and Lightning Claw

http://i.imgur.com/92keA2Gm.jpg http://i.imgur.com/aWLNFZKm.jpg http://i.imgur.com/AVGBbY0m.jpg

I decided I wanted a battle-worn look so went with Leadbelcher, lightly highlighted with P3 Cold Steel, washed with Nuln Oil Gloss, then given a little bit of Typhus Corrosion all over to make it look like it's 10,00 years old.  Gold is basecoat of Balthasar Gold, highlighted with Army Painter Greedy Gold, and because I was lazy I just gave it the Nuln Oil and Typhus Corrosion washes as well.  I went very simple on his cloak, just making it a very dark gray to keep the overall cold, remorseless and sinister look.

IRON WITHIN. IRON WITHOUT.  Also i think that might be First Blood to the IVth :p

Sorry for not seeing your post Scourged, great to have you with us smile.png

If you do indeed create an ex-Iron Warrior Warpsmith, make sure you still give him features that identify him as a Son of Perturabo smile.png

No worries. And should I get around to actually bringing Khan'tu the Iron Monger to life, he'll be most assuredly and identifiably a Son of Perturabo embracing the touch of Tzeentch - at least embracing it mentally.

Anyway, vow:

I, Scourged, vow on the honour of Phaethon the Abandoned to fully paint at least a single double-claw Terminator from the CSM Codex with Imperial Fists trophies modeled onto the base for a total points value of 55 points by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

http://i.imgur.com/3CW0l1el.jpg?1

Here he is. For fun, I've got a rough idea of my lone figure's backstory and origin and what-not (as the granting him of a name and title would implly). Upon final completion I'll post my mini narrative to go with this handsome gent. Happy painting all.

I really like the possessed/early stage obliterators :D

For your Warpsmith, did you do much more then basecoating? Is that a hint of drybrushing or a wash (or both) I detect?

I really like the possessed/early stage obliterators biggrin.png

For your Warpsmith, did you do much more then basecoating? Is that a hint of drybrushing or a wash (or both) I detect?

Shade where added (metallic stage take a while) & only painted him today. Just I really needed to get all my models painted with Throne of Skulls in a few days time, only got Sunday, Monday & Tuesday get what I've vowed fully painted.

Is this ok? Just know for ETL & Call of Chaos this stage is usely ok.

Shade where added (metallic stage take a while) & only painted him today.  Just I really needed to get all my models painted with Throne of Skulls in a few days time, only got Sunday, Monday & Tuesday get what I've vowed fully painted.

Is this ok?  Just know for ETL & Call of Chaos this stage is usely ok.

I think that's okay, however I'd like you to post pictures for all your vow please (for instance, we've still only seen two of those possessed)

This goes for everyone: please remember to post an initial picture in your vow post before starting painting!!!

In particular - Beachymike123, Insane Psychopath, Kierdale and Lord Commander Eidolon.

Also, please remember to add in the points value of the vow (undeadsoldier and Lord Commander Eidolon)

I'm sure you'll all understand this is in spirit of fairness :)

No problem.

The pushfit I intend to use is currently in my vat of Simple Green, stripping the previous test paint scheme I used him for.

Assuming this rain let's up soon I'll get him undercoated and a pic posted.

Having a dig through what I can vow, so far I can scrape together 5 Terminators, 20 Cultists, Chaos Lord and maybe a squad of Raptors.

That's great :) I think I'll be able to build a big bunch of normal guys, plus some havocs. Possibly a good bunch of Berzerkers too in case the new supplement brings down their cost :lol: I had originally been planning on using most of those for other  projects, but I think they'll look better in gunmetal and hazard stripes :P

Anyone got a good recipe for rust? I'm planning on using the "salt" technique for most stuff, to get a properly wethered look :) Also, I need to dig out my most loyalist looking bitz for some trophies :devil:

Okay, I've got a load of achievement ideas, what do you think of these:

• Apolakron: Complete a Praevian or Warpsmith and and Iron Circle or other robot
  • Blood Feud: Complete a unit with Imperial Fist trophies (half the squad or more)
  • Cannon Fodder: Complete twenty cultists
  • Circle of Iron: Complete three Iron Circle models
  • Dodekatheon: Complete a fortification
  • Hell-forged: Complete a Daemon Engine, a vehicle with the Daemonic Possession upgrade, or a Helbrute
  • Iron Corrupted: Complete a model with the Daemon special rule (that isn't a vehicle)
  • Irrrron Withou', me' hearrrrties: Complete a model missing a leg, and arm and an eye (these should be replaced with augmetics or bloody stumps)
  • Kheledakos: Complete at least one flyer
  • Legion: Complete seven vows of four units
  • Lyssatra: Complete a unit with the Artillery type, or equipped with at least one Ordnance weapon
  • Of seried ranks and steel banners: Complete at least twenty models in power (or artificer) armour, including one model with a banner (extra kudos: make the banner look like steel)
  • The Iron Lord: Complete Perturabo
  • The Trident: Complete three Warsmiths, Chaos Lords or Warpsmiths worth 150 points or more
  • Tyranthikos: Complete then models in Terminator armour
  • Veteran of the Iron Cage: Complete a mini-diorama; ie, an Iron Warrior in the act of brutalising an Imperial Fist (extra kudos: humliating pose, ie using the Fist's own Power Fist against him, kicking him in the backside etc.)
  • Warsmith Unchallenged: Complete seven vows, including a single Warsmith, Chaos Lord or Warpsmith worth 150 points or more. No other HQ independent character is allowed.

I would like to note that out-of-competition vows would be allowed to run for these achievements. For instance, Iron Circle models are allowed in competition, but other robots are not, as they are more part of the Mechanicum then the Legion. Another example is fortifications: we allow Games Workshop built fortifications, but completing a scratchbuilt fortification - though OOC - would still aford you the Dodekatheon achievement.

I haven't yet created the badges, I might wait and see which ones are actually achieved first tongue.png Does anyone have any questions?

EDIT: @Captain Titus. I'm really sorry, I've only just noticed that your vow had 5 units in it: The maximum allowed is four. As I'm the one at fault for not catching this sooner, I won't stop you from doing all five units now, but your second vow will be capped at three units.

EDIT: don't forget that the Forge World shipping offer for £125 ends in a couple of days (31st Aug iirc), so be sure to order all your Forge World goodies before then thumbsup.gif

Archived