The Unbound Brethren (WIP CSM+Dark Mechanicus)

Galloway

• 4 weeks later...

Finished up a sorcerer for ETL. Trying out a suggestion for posting bigger pictures, maybe that will help see easier...let me know if I've gone too big and will use medium or small size...

gallery_68171_12457_530607.jpg

gallery_68171_12457_450142.jpg

Also took some better pictures of a few previous works...

gallery_68171_12457_1047749.jpg

gallery_68171_12457_355776.jpg

gallery_68171_12457_1238478.jpg

Next up is two exalted sorcerers on disks...

Thanks @pearson73 and @hushrong- as pearson noted, they work really well with the new Thousand Sons range. I've got one more sorcerer coming based off the champion/apostle guy with the maul that I'm pretty happy with. Shame you cant buy them except on ebay nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @hushrong- is indeed shiny, used FolkArt Metallic Blue Sapphire (with generous thinning) for the blue. Going to try 30k Ahriman in same scheme as well. Any thoughts relative to the other scheme? I've got one more exalted sorcerer/Ahriman counts as, as well as an Osirion dreadnought, that I'm still deciding between the this blue and the more turqouise color I used for my rubrics.

For the 30k Ahriman, nothing too fancy, just head and backback swaps for some stuff from the exalted sorcerer kits (the backpack w/ 4 bird skulls on long necks and tall crest helm with beaked avian skull). From my ETL vow, on the left

ETL2018 Vow

• 3 weeks later...

Put together another exalted sorcerer on a disk, although this one is magnetized so I can also put him on a regular base. May try to clean up the gems in the staff blade some more, but they're so small I'm not sure my hands are steady enough to do much better...

gallery_68171_12457_564163.jpg

Not sure what I'll do next- have a DV helbrute, Osirion contemptor, and one last exalted/Ahriman counts-as on disk for the warband leader to do, plus a few Dark Mechanicus allies...

• 2 months later...

Currently painting up the Osiron for Call of Chaos- coming along ok, but nervous about painting all the engraved runes on legs and shoulders. Wasn't wild with how mine came out for Scarab Occult and Rubrics. The detail there is so fine will be a good challenge. Any advice on mechanics of how to best paint them would be great (paint rune color first then surronding material, or do background first and paint runes on top, or ...)

Current Osiron status-

med_gallery_68171_12457_318800.jpg

I've also painted up the helbrute, after doing a quick weapon swap. First time I've painted a lot of flesh (think the wife and kids were suitably horrified...). A bit of fluff for him as well.

The Thrice-Whipped Cur

While some Thousand Sons warbands trick the gullible into becoming helbrutes, the Unbound Brethren prefer to use enemies captured on the field of battle, and none more so than Space Wolves. Their most "favored" is Varl Sornsen, a brash young sergeant who was the sole survivor of his squad after his drop pod was shot down in a ambush laid by the Brethren. The Brethren sorcerers interred him in a Helbrute walker, and then bound within him a daemon under their control. Varl can now but rage helplessly as he is sent into battle after battle, often as a sacrifical decoy used to screen the advance of more valued forces. Even if defeated, the Brethren make a point to recover and restore him to functionality, dooming him to a fate of eternal war against the Imperium.

med_gallery_68171_12457_1002769.jpgmed_gallery_68171_12457_271391.jpg

Edited by Galloway

• 2 months later...

Finished up a Osiron Contemptor for the Call of Chaos XI. Didn't come up with any background for him, just a name...

Nur-Osirion Ceza Hiddet

gallery_68171_12457_442343.jpg

Some more angles of him

Ceza angle

Ceza left

Ceza back

Ceza right

Not sure what I'll paint up next...still have the warband leader (one last exalted sorcerer/Ahriman counts-as on disk) to do, but have also been kitbashing together some Dark Mechanicus allies, including some lightly converted myrmidon destructors (Obliterator counts-as).

• 5 months later...

Hi all- dusting this thread off for a final pair of posts, as I've now completed everything I had planned for this army for the foreseeable future. Of course now that the new CSM models have been released I'm sure I'll circle back, but probably to flesh out my Crystal Wyverns and/or Fallen rather than more Thousand Sons. This post will have the rest of my Dark Mechanicus, and next will have my Ahriman counts-as and some final group shots.

To start things off, here's Arch-Heretek and Hellwright Ravion Nixios, leader of the Unbound Brethren's Dark Mechanicus allies

med_gallery_68171_12457_410468.jpg

med_gallery_68171_12457_124081.jpgmed_gallery_68171_12457_370514.jpg

Like any good cult leader, you need some underlings, like these Disciples of Nixios

gallery_68171_12457_792578.jpg

And of course some staff to do the actual work, like a datasmith and enginseer

med_gallery_68171_12457_271385.jpg

Since the core of the Unbound Brethren are former Thousand Sons, they have some rare automata that must be maintained

med_gallery_68171_12457_314458.jpg

Group shot of all the new Dark Mechanicus forces

med_gallery_68171_12457_715131.jpg

Edited by Galloway

OK, final update (for now at least).

One last new member of the Unbound Brethren- their leader, Lord Kaldour Zalav, former captain of the Thousand Sons (Ahriman counts-as)

gallery_68171_12457_770066.jpg

med_gallery_68171_12457_59436.jpgmed_gallery_68171_12457_416617.jpgmed_gallery_68171_12457_534886.jpg

Here's all the various sorcerers of the Thousand Sons (including their fallen brother entombed in an Osiron Contemptor)

gallery_68171_12457_1853860.jpg

A group shot of all the Thousand Sons elements of the Unbound Brethren

gallery_68171_12457_816956.jpg

And a full army shot with all their allies

gallery_68171_12457_638962.jpg

So that's it (for now at least). Thanks to all for feedback, support, and inspiration. For those interested, my next project is a Dark Angels Successor Chapter I'll be documenting here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356486-galloways-void-reavers-da-successor-chapter/.

Zalav looks fantastic and when arrayed with the rest of your spell slingers...well, :censored:, that looks awesome!

The whole army on display is just jaw dropping. I also think I want to use that turquoise kinda blue on some of my own former TS sorcerers and rubrics if you don't mind.