[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Hmm, so I got my Sagittarum Guard unit today.  and it's made me think, maybe just use the normal heads for them and use the special ones they come with to represent my Hatairon, since I've been at a loss for how to do that other than a paint scheme.  Thoughts?

Edited by Dulahan

Hmm, so I got my Sagittarum Guard unit today.  and it's made me think, maybe just use the normal heads for them and use the special ones they come with to represent my Hatairon, since I've been at a loss for how to do that other than a paint scheme.  Thoughts?

The Saggitarum helm is pretty specific to them, and based upon the old artwork from the visions books of Custodes with Bolters.

Your hobby though, do as you please :)

I'd wager however that we'll see a Hetaron upgrade kit from forgeworld (blingier pads, different spears/ swords/ gauntlets/ talons etc)

Sagittarum make me sad. They are so cool looking but I can't find a place without giving up the way more useful calladius or dread. Them as troops would have made way more sense. That or make the guns lastrum holders as their basic firing more. A heavy bolted profile is just stupid.

I'd have to agree they are probably the only truly bad unit for it's points we have. You can use them sure but are they a better choice than something and the answer is honestly no. I feel like the pallas is the only other unit that doesn't look to good but I think that's mainly because they compete with jetbikes who just seem godlike.

Not tactic related, but has anyone else had trouble with their custodes pre-orders shipping? I've had a few not ship until almost a week after the preorder date

FW told me it would be 10 days before they would have stock... and then wouldn't tell me where I was in the line. 

Sagittarum make me sad. They are so cool looking but I can't find a place without giving up the way more useful calladius or dread. Them as troops would have made way more sense. That or make the guns lastrum holders as their basic firing more. A heavy bolted profile is just stupid.

I'd have to agree they are probably the only truly bad unit for it's points we have. You can use them sure but are they a better choice than something and the answer is honestly no. I feel like the pallas is the only other unit that doesn't look to good but I think that's mainly because they compete with jetbikes who just seem godlike.

They make an okay unit to put out a little more Adrathic, plus they can deep strike etc.

Am considering using them as count as Adrasite spear guardians however...

That is the issue, they cost the same as Adrasite Spear Guardians, but are a heavy support, lack mobility on their long range gun, can't do anything once engaged and need to be close to use their main guns. the issue is once you are within 12" of your target you are likely to get charged by whatever is left. The spearmen are also a troop choice which is massive as they are the only unit that can hold objectives.

I'll be using 5 as they look badass. If they were either cheaper, had Assault on their bolters or were troops I'd use them, but they are an expensive unit in am army where every point is so important.

Honestly, they're in my 1850 list because it was easy to get it from 1500 to 1850 with them (plus swapping my spear dread for the sword and board).  but when I jump to 2k, they're back out in favor of running both Dreads.

I might try and fit some spare blades from Guardian Spears on the guns and just run them as Adrasite Guardians....

OR another one.... Give them jump packs and use them as Jetbikes... Editing the Weapon as appropriate? Maybe a little small but a bigger base would Sort out most of the grief....

Edited by Charlo

So I played my first game with the Talons yesterday. You can read the full mad rantings HERE.

But for some tactical analysis... HOLY CRAP WE ARE STRONG. At 1000 Points I was outnumbered, but it didn't really matter. Look Out Sir! Shenanigans means you can keep a nice amount of models on the table, even when rolling the odd stray one. The -1 to hit on the Shield guys means you will basically never lose one in combat to anything S3, I think even marines would struggle only hitting and wounding on 5s.

I think I had even handicapped myself by spending ~1/3 of my points on Saggitarum Guard... Who are so utterly and regrettably awful it hurts. All they managed was killing on heavy weapon team. Not a squad... Two wounds on the Heavy Weapons. They caused more wounds to themselves with Gets Hot! I think in reality they just didn't have the correct targets and I was too cautious with their deployment, but still, once again remembering a squad of Adrasite spears are the same points... I can hear the Count-As calling.

I'm at Warhammer World this weekend so going to grab a few bits, just deciding what... I think Jetbikes and one of each Dread could be a must... Though I feel for larger points I'll need at least one Coronus.

Thinking about the Heavy Weapons change in 8th and how Inferno was purportedly written for 8th but scaled back to 7th, it seems like Saggitarum, while still being the weakest Custodes unit, will be a lot less...horrible...than they are now under 8ths ruleset. Seeing as they're likely to keep BS5 (2+), then moving and shooting a heavy weapon will only reduce them to hitting on 3's instead of 6's with the heavy bolter component of their gun.

OR something.

Some questions regarding Talons of the Emperor...

What page has their warlord traits ?

Where is the ally chart showing them ?

Why does the TankTribune have rerollable invulnerable save ?

No specific warlord traits they use the main rulebook.

They currently have no ally chart slot. Some speculate they are supposed to be agents of the emperor but currently no answer.

Tribune has a reroll if he takes a praesidium shield as it gives reroll to invulnerable and -1 to hit in combat.

Why don't you try reading the rules for a change?

He might not have the book, to be fair.

The Tribune has an Iron Halo for a 4++, Cyber Familiar makes it a 3+, Shield makes it re-rollable.

Thinking about the Heavy Weapons change in 8th and how Inferno was purportedly written for 8th but scaled back to 7th, it seems like Saggitarum, while still being the weakest Custodes unit, will be a lot less...horrible...than they are now under 8ths ruleset. Seeing as they're likely to keep BS5 (2+), then moving and shooting a heavy weapon will only reduce them to hitting on 3's instead of 6's with the heavy bolter component of their gun.

OR something.

Honestly? I think we'll see the Bolter component made a little better when they move to 8th. For one it'll probably be -1 to saves which is just plain better than AP4 in most cases methinks. FW must know how figgin' dire the Saggitarum are. I could also see Adrathic moving to D3 Mortal wounds or similar.

My current kill count with Saggitarum is two basic humans. They almost took out an Iron Circle (who passes 3 5++!?!) and would have destroyed a Contemptor if I instead went for that....

• 3 weeks later...

Game tonight, 1k points.

Mission:

Hidden Content

Set-up:

1k Points

4x4 Board

12" Deployment opposite sides of table (24" no mans land)

Loyalist is the Attacker, Traitor the Defender

Defender sets up first, then Attacker

Attacker gets first turn unless Defender Seizes the Initiative

Reserves are allowed

Random Game Length

Fully Painted Army Bonus: Any force that is fully painted may give one infantry unit the Scout ability that does not already have it.

Victory Conditions:

Traitors - Attrition:

The traitors score 1 VP for every enemy unit destroyed or off the table at the end of the game.

Loyalists - Linebreaker:

The loyalists score 2 VPs for every friendly unit in the enemy’s deployment zone at the end of the game.

Both - Slay the Warlord:

1 VP for killing the enemy Warlord

My list:

Jenetia Krole

3 Guardian Spears

3 Sentinels with a Fist

5 Bolter Ladies, nuncio box, Charnable Sabre

7 Sword Ladies, Neuro Whip

3 Jetbikes with Las Pulsars

Im against 1ksons and I know he likes his Sehkmet... Should be interesting. I'm actually a little scared of Asphyx shells.

Jenetia Krole

3 Guardian Spears

3 Sentinels with a Fist

5 Bolter Ladies, nuncio box, Charnable Sabre

7 Sword Ladies, Neuro Whip

3 Jetbikes with Las Pulsars

Im against 1ksons and I know he likes his Sehkmet... Should be interesting. I'm actually a little scared of Asphyx shells.

Very nasty list for 1000 points.

Are you paying 25 points per Jetbike or for the whole squad for those Las Pulsars? If it's per bike, looks like you are over points (1019 by my count), if its per unit you are under (969). Either way 3D3 twin-linked Lascanon shots per turn is going to do some serious damage to those terminators.

I suspect the Jetbikes will prove far more effective than the Saggitarum Guard. Also, with potentially everything scouting (assuming you get the fully-painted bonus - remember Jenita can't give scout to the Jetbikes, just infantry) and/or infiltrating (depending on cadre), do you even need to spend the points on a Nuncio Vox? Besides, don't you need to buy some transponders if you're going to deep strike.

Aye I got sick of the Saggitarum doing nothing and I'm up against a much harder list now. I was considering going Adrathic and bikes but I figured it'd probably be less damage overall regardless with gets hot and such.

Paying 25 per bike - battlescribe said I was under but I probsvly just forgot about a couple options or something. I'll remove the vox and whip, plus I do think it might only be 6 sisters.

Krole giving scout to the Custodes should help me. Bikes don't need it.