Greetings, my fellow Chapter Masters of the Unforgiven, and welcome in the armoury of the Successors.
In this thread I hope to make a comprehensive collection about the Successors of the Dark Angels. The Dark Angels themselves have an established organization, colourscheme and armoury. The Successors are more or less left in the dark, apart from a handful of snippets in books and codices. So anyone that wants to start a Successor Chapter has to do plenty of research on the internet to develop his/her army, even on this forum you have to dig through pages of work to search for inspiration. It’s my intention to make this page a sort of guide for people to decide on colourschemes, gear and all the other tidbits that are needed for painting your guys. And the veterans can steal ideas from each other.
My plan is three-fold:
- Collect all available official info about the various Chapters in one spot. This includes general info, equipment, colour schemes, organization, markings,…
- Collect as much interpretations of fellow brothers. Gaps in the fluff usually get filled up by own interpretations or additions. These earn a place in this collection as well. These will get a separate spot than the official info, Indexed by name of the submitter and unittype.
- And as a final piece, the Liber Astartes (homegrown chapters) connected to the Dark Angels will receive a place as well, if they are willing to share their information of course.
The second part of my goals from above is something I need your help with. Some of you have WIP-logs on this forum. I want to index your interpretation of your chosen Successors, so that future hobbyists can draw inspiration from your rendition of the units. You help me in this by posting a picture of your units in this thread. I will link those posts/pictures to this post according to the unit posted.
So to make it easier for everyone, here are a couple of rules:
- Only place pictures of legal units in the codex, like a tactical squad, a transport, a dreadnought, command squad,… and so on. Please don’t post pictures of single tactical/devastator/assault/scout models. HQ’s are the only exception.
- You can combine a couple of units in one picture, like a squad with their Rhino, but then I will link that one post to two entries, namely an entry for the Tactical squad and one for the transport.
- Use pictures of a decent quality. A fantastic painted model that looks all blurry on camera isn’t very useful if you can’t see what’s in the picture.
- There is no required ‘minimum’ of painting quality. It all about how you paint your models, not how well you succeeded in the attempt.
- An explanation alongside your pictures is encouraged, but not required.
- … I’ll figure more rules out when this project gains some momentum.
Angels of Vengeance
The Angels of Vengeance shun fame & laurels, instead concentrating on their duties to the exclusion of all else. They are a grim and dour organization, and all their companies wear jet black armour in tribute to the original Dark Angels Legion that departed Terra at the beginning of the Great Crusade.
The Angels of Vengeance embody one particular aspect of the Dark Angels’ character above all others – a stubborn devotion to their cause that borders on fanaticism. The Chapter is wont to become embroiled in battles that others would have little hope of winning, and emerging bloodied but victorious. The Angels of Vengeance have willingly suffered horrific casualties in the name of victory – a result of their absolute refusal to retreat in the face of any foe. The Chapter’s very future has been put in jeopardy more than once, beginning with their appalling depletion during the Forgotten Wars. More recently, in the aftermath of the Siege of San Apolis, their losses were so extreme that the Chapter was forced to spend almost a century rebuilding before it could do battle once more.
- Black armour with red eye-lenses.
- Black robes for members of the Inner Circle.
The Consecrators’s first appearance is noted during the Second Kuppukin Schism, where they are said to have deployed Chapter strength with no warning whatsoever. At the height of this terrible war, loyalist forces were surrounded within the Sanctum of Silence by a screaming sea of renegades, mutants and traitors. It appeared that the Imperial Forces had but hours to live, until the Consecrators plummeted from the heavens. All vox-hails were ignored, but the Unforgiven went to war on the defenders behalf with a terrible fury. In just six hours, the Adeptus Astartes reduced the traitor horde to little more than broken, twisted corpses. Their task complete, the Chapter withdrew without a word. Other such heroic intercessions have been noted since, the Consecrators always remaining silent. One aspect of the Chapter has been commented on time and again; their brethren bear all manner of holy relics, and utilize ancient patters of armour, weapons and vehicles. It is as though the Consecrators have inherited the most revered arms of the Dark Angels Legion, preserving them and bearing them down through the ages against the foes of the Lion.
- Black armour with yellow eye-lenses.
- Red stripe running along the center of their helmet.
- Red robes for senior officers.
- Older patterns of wargear and power armour.
- Squad numbers and designations may be displayed on non-standard places upon their armour.
- Terminators wear black armour, but have bone helmets.
Angels of Redemption
Nothing can dissuade the Angels of Redemption from their mission to hunt down the Fallen. It has been noted that the Chapter has, on occasion, withdrawn from a campaign in order to pursue their own undisclosed ends. It was at the height of the Defence of Gaitlinghive that the Angels of Redemption redeployed at the moment of the Orks' final assault, leaving seven brigades of Gaitlinghive militia alone to face an Orkish horde three million Greenskins strong. The Unforgiven had embarked upon a hunt that led them to capture a Fallen Dark Angel. To them, this victory was well worth the lives of the Gaitlinghive militia, as well as the millions of civilians the had fought to protect. The Angels of Redemption were never called to account for this act, as there were no survivors to press any formal inquiry.
Thanks to the dark rumours of this and many similar events, Imperial forces have begun to decline offers of aid from the Angels of Redemption. More serious repercussions of the Chapter’s actions – or flagrant inaction – have yet to take place, but may well range from Inquisitorial censure to outright excommunication.
- Halved green and bone armour, with red eye-lenses.
- Red robes for their senior officers.
Disciples of Caliban
The Disciples of Caliban are a fleet-based Chapter that strikes with blistering speed and ferocity. Their record of deed is impeccable, their conduct exemplary. Still, the Founding of the Disciples of Caliban is shrouded in controversy. It is believed that Dark Angels Supreme Grand Master Anaziel made a request of the High Lords of Terra late in the 37th Millennium for this Chapter to be founded. It is highly unusual for a Chapter Master to make such a demand, and the reasons given by Anaziel for his petition were never shared. Still, dispensation was eventually granted and the Disciples of Caliban were created. The Chapter’s Founding gene-seed was of the highest pedigree, and scrutinised to a standard far beyond even that required by the Adeptus Terra. To this day, the purity of the Chapter's gene-seed is constantly monitored for the slightest sign of corruption or genetic degradation, and it has the most exacting standards of recruitment of any of the Unforgiven. There have been whispers that Anaziel had the Disciples of Caliban created to fulfill a specific purpose, often rumoured amongst the other Unforgiven to be for the single-minded pursuit and capture of the Renegade known as Cypher.
- Black and green armour with red eye-lenses.
- Bone robes for their senior officers.
- Squad designations picked out in white.
Angels of Absolution
A force for vengeful destruction in the Emperor’s name, the Angels of Absolution have been sighted throughout the known galaxy, most often seen fighting alongside the Dark Angels themselves. The two Chapters often launch joint operations, such as the crusade against the Arch-Arsonist of Charadon, The Battle at Archangel VII, or the bloody suppression of the Rasputin uprisings.
The doctrines of the Dark Angels and the Angels of Absolution are almost identical, through with one notable distinction. The Angels of Absolution consider their guild expunged by the actions of their forefathers during the Fall of Caliban, and thus fear no spiritual damnation for the actions of the Fallen. However, they still consider themselves responsible for meting out punishment upon the traitors, and take pride in the fulfilment of this duty. The Angels of Absolution are characterized by a certain gallows humour that the rest of the Unforgiven do not share, but they are no less dedicated for all their sardonic banter and bleak irony.
- Bone armour with green eye-lenses.
- Green robes.
- Veterans are marked by a red stripe on the helmet and with occasional gold ornaments on their armour.
- Company markings are inverted versions of their parent Chapter.
Note: Their bone powerpacks are a recent change, they wore black powerpacks in previous editions.
- Company markings can be shown on bolters: Black with red stripe for 4th Company, Black for 5th Company and red for 6th Company.
- Veterans of the Siege of Vrak wear the campaign badge on their left leg.The campaign badge is a white skull imposed over an inverted black chevron on a yellow circle. This badge is worn by Marines and Dreadnoughts.
Guardians of the Covenant
It is not known from what Founding the Guardians of the Covenant came, only that they are part of the Unforgiven. Their adopted home world, Mortikah VII, lies near to the western rim of the Imperium, and their mountaintop fortress monastery takes the form of a mighty cathedral whose spire pierces the clouds. The Guardians of the Covenant fight most of their wars within the Segmentum Pacificus, and are utterly merciless in their destruction of the Emperor’s foes. They have spearheaded a number of crusades into the Halo Stars and the Veiled Region, enacting xenocidal purges in which billions of enemy warriors have been put to the sword. This Chapter is known for its exceptionally monastic character. True warrior monks of the Emperor, they are assiduous in studying the teachings of the Emperor and their Primarch, and have penned several tomes that have been added to the Lore of the Lion over the millennia. Their banners, armour and the flanks of their vehicles are covered in spidery, hand-written text extracted from the pages of the Codex Astartes, the Requiem Angelis and many other tomes held sacred by the Space Marines.
- Gunmetal armour with green eye-lenses.
- Red robes for their senior officers
- Their armour is often covered in lines of engraved script.
Shoulderpads of known Successors
Angels of Vengeance
- Belial by Midnight Angel
- Chapter Master by Midnight Angel
- Company master by Punk possum
- Chaplain by Punk Possum
- Librarian on bike by Midnight Angel
- Terminator Chaplain by Midnight Angel
- Command Land Raider by Punk possum
- Command Rhino by Punk possum
- Tacticals by Punk possum
- Scouts by Punk possum
- Terminator Knights by Midnight Angel
- Terminator Command Squad by Midnight Angel
- Dreadnought by Midnight Angel
- Black Knights by Midnight Angel
- Nephilim Jetfighters by Midnight Angel
- Landspeeder by Midnight Angel
- Assault Marines by Punk possum
- Devastators by Punk possum
- Tacticals by Dark Rage.
- Tacticals by EPK
- Tacticals by GreyRavenC
- Terminators by GreyRavenC
- Venerable Dreadnought by Dark Rage
- Leviathan Dreadnought by GreyRavenC
Angels of Redemption
- 1st Company Master by Chaplain Lucifer
- Scouts by Chaplain Lucifer
Angels of Absolution
- Grand Master by Greenz
- Tactical squad by Greenz
- Terminators TH/SS by Greenz
- Nephilim Jetfighter by Syphid
Guardians of the Covenant
- Command Squad by Epher
- Company Master by Epher
- Deathwing Knights by Epher
- Contemptor Dreadnought by Grotsmasha
- Landspeeder by Worsey
- Assault Squad by Epher
- Land Raider by Epher
WORK IN PROCESS.
Edited by GreyRavenC, 04 August 2017 - 12:41 PM.