Emperor's Spears covered by A D B

Kelborn

tenor.gif?itemid=5490559

Then you, dear brother Mr. Crusader, just made my day!

This is (as far as I know) the second time that a new book will be released in Germany way earlier than in England. We had the same with Blood of Iax. Weird....but hey, am I allowed to say that I'm happy being German? :biggrin.::biggrin.:

It screws up my reading order but I'll gladly skipp that over for Spears of the Emperor and Corax!!

So what is reliable and/or faster? I tend to purchase books either in a local store or via Amazon but I'd make an exception.

Edited by Kelborn

Turns out that local bookstores got it, as well.

So for those brothers from Germany: Amazon or Thalia (where I bought mine moments ago). I assume that other big stores will also have it.

No Corax for now, but I'm more than happy with the Spears! :)

Wait... is this the original, English version going upon Amazon Germany or a translated one?!

Edit: ever mind silly old me...it has different cover and a German title. Pass for me ...but probably a brilliant gift to a friend whose English is not as good who has birthday in June!

Edited by Xin Ceithan

It is the translated one with the correct cover, etc.

I purchased it, yesterday. Corax' Primarch novel (the translated and correct German version) will arrive today.

Like I said, I'm a bit confused about the way BL is releasing stuff in recent times as I bought Blood of Iax before it came out in English.

Here in Germany, Plague Wars was released about half a year after Dark Imperium, as another example.

Edited by Kelborn

Hold on, so the translations are going up before the original? Wha? :|

Yes they are, and I think we know the reason for this.

They wanted to make more money on the English editions so they came up with the 80 pounds limited editions.

Which they did, cause it sold out. They could have done a general release in November but they deliberately chose to do that later and withhold the book.

Of course, people aren't buying a limited edition *that* expensive if the general release is soon afterwards, so that is why they wait 6 months until the regular hardback release comes out.

Clearly the foreign markets are seen as an entirely different thing.

I just saw the new urban conquest index astartes banner and it looks as though the Emperor's Spear marine has a red knee pad. I wonder what it could mean with regards to what A D-B has told us.

Perhaps a personal heraldry marking?

Do you have a link?

I just saw the new urban conquest index astartes banner and it looks as though the Emperor's Spear marine has a red knee pad. I wonder what it could mean with regards to what A D-B has told us.

Do you have a link?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353020-warhammer-40000-conquest-poster-chapters-list/?p=5231639

Pretty sure that poster has been around for years

Extremely unlikely considering it's using the Primaris template.
Ha, that's what low brightness gets me. Worth checking to see if emperors spears were on the original one though.

EDIT: just checked, they are and have a dark blue knee pad there. Don't know how that ties in though as the limited ed is massively expensive

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

Or a particular campaign marking.

Or a particular campaign marking.

Exodus badge maybe. Doesn't seem like the right color though.

Must say I really loved this book, it really shows what is required to do to keep the sector secure when cut of from the Imperium by a century. :smile.:

So after reading (parts of) the ‘Renegade Primaris’ discussion in the General discussion subforum, it got me thinking that some of the stuff said about the Imperium/Guilliman by the Spears; wouldn’t (almost?) classify them as renegades by the Inquisition..? Or am I remembering it wrong or putting to much weight on a few lines…

I must admit that the way to handle how the Spears got the Primaris recipe, instead of a bunch of finished primaris’es, and that they actually needed several attempts before they got it right made it feel so much more realistic for me. Instead of the flawless, perfect result on the first try for everyone.

Also the parts of the Calgarian Rites (?) was ace, and really showed that it was not something to be done easily to every marine. Although it still sounds off to ‘grow them even larger & stronger by installing more organs & magic juice’.

Suppose it shows the authors, or at least Aaron, are informed quite well ahead of time to stuff like this. The book was available just after the news about Calgar broke, right?

So after reading (parts of) the ‘Renegade Primaris’ discussion in the General discussion subforum, it got me thinking that some of the stuff said about the Imperium/Guilliman by the Spears; wouldn’t (almost?) classify them as renegades by the Inquisition..? Or am I remembering it wrong or putting to much weight on a few lines…

I don't necessarily think that the actions of the Spears themselves would put them out as far as 'renegades' per-se. I think that what they are doing still falls under the intent of the Imperium, even if they no longer have any direct contact with it. 

Mind you, the Inquisition are very petty - as demonstrated by their secretive censure of the Celestial Lions. Although I don't think the Spears themselves have done anything to earn the ire of the Inquisition, and the rest of the Imperium (i.e Guilliman) would consider their actions to be more pragmatic.

The real question is around Amadeus. He obviously feels no allegiance to the Mentors due to the events of the story, and any chance of him returning back to the Imperium are negligible. Can an Astartes 'transfer' between chapters, or is he now some sort of independent or 'black shield'? 

From what I gathered from the ending of Spears, Amadeus no longer considers himself a member of the Mentors with the Spears faking his death and giving him a new name and alias. So for all intents and purposes, Amadeus is now a member of the Spears.

I don't necessarily think that the actions of the Spears themselves would put them out as far as 'renegades' per-se. I think that what they are doing still falls under the intent of the Imperium, even if they no longer have any direct contact with it.

Mind you, the Inquisition are very petty - as demonstrated by their secretive censure of the Celestial Lions. Although I don't think the Spears themselves have done anything to earn the ire of the Inquisition, and the rest of the Imperium (i.e Guilliman) would consider their actions to be more pragmatic.

The real question is around Amadeus. He obviously feels no allegiance to the Mentors due to the events of the story, and any chance of him returning back to the Imperium are negligible. Can an Astartes 'transfer' between chapters, or is he now some sort of independent or 'black shield'?

I really felt throughout this book it set us up for renegade/chaos primaris, which I'm not at all ready for. It was just a feeling.

As far as switching chapters they are the same genetic seed. And with regards to Amadeus, he's dead. There would be no option to go back. On a side note, in the Night lords trilogy a similar event occurs between the Red Corsair and Talos if I recall. He even changed the color of his armor if I recall.

I didn't read the book yet, but just because a Marine chapter is isolated from the rest of the Imperium it doesn't mean they become renegades. Many chapter act far away from the more populated parts of the Imperium for hundreds of years before getting in contact with Terra again. It goes as far as Terra sometimes declaring whole chapters as dead because they didn't hear from them for that long.

That being said, in the discussion about Renegades it's mainly about traitors. A chapter can get declared as renegade by the inquisition but still be loyal because Marines don't really care what the Inquisition says unless they are forced to. Knights of Blood and Celestial Lions would be a good example for that. So yeah I don't think anybody doubt renegade Primaris that just got declared renegade by the Inquisition will exist, but whether we'll see corrupted/traitor Primaris was up to discussion (consent is that it's likely we'll see some in the fluff but not in big enough numbers to warrant a chaos Primaris unit for the game).

I guess do you think Carchodons are renegades? For some, for sure! But others, no.

Personnally without too much reason or logical background to it; no not the Carchodons. :)

But for example Ashen Claws yes, admidetly with very limited knowlegde outside of the newest Carchodons book. And the Astral Claws & their friends during the Badab war I would say their were Renegades. Not Chaos Marines in any way (at the start of the war), but certainly Renegades.

If the Imperium took the hassle to send out the Primaris technology & techniques to the far reaches such as the Veil, I would think they would send to other far away chapters as well. And with that I doubt all made it to their intended desitination, making it in my opinion not unrealistic to see Renegade Primaris soon.

But more to the time aspects of the Spears Book, if I got this right; does the Great Rift happen after the Spears received their Primaris technology, or was it that the ship(s) with the technology & custodians made it through the Rift?  Then the story of the book happens about after 100 years of isolation from the rest of the Imperium?

Any wild guesses how much later it is when the story is being written down by the now old POV character? :)