++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

GreyRavenC, where's that cool figure from?

Been a whirlwind of sculpting, putting this beast in the putty oven, rinsing, and repeating. The front of the torso is pretty much done. Still have to do the arms and the back, and here's a comparison shot to the original BT torso.

http://i.imgur.com/EsFGAEp.png

I also increased the size of his eyes and the structure around it and a few bigger teeth which need more work.

http://i.imgur.com/sxC0LN4.png

That's just awesome. Really good work on the chest there. I'm awed, especially as I'm filling in some gaps from reposing right now and kicking myself on how poorly it's coming ;)

Edit:

19732186_1720649221298384_10374297418111

And... waiting for the first layer of gs to dry then another scrub down on the ones who haven't been fully stripped yet. Now if I could just keep my fingers off the gs when it's still soft.. :rolleyes:

Edited by AndrewChristlieb

@ BCP: Awesome work i really should learn to use greenstuff...

Thanks, man! I've really only become comfortable with "the stuff" in the last four years or so. Just practice, practice, practice. 

That's just awesome. Really good work on the chest there. I'm awed, especially as I'm filling in some gaps from reposing right now and kicking myself on how poorly it's coming :wink:

And... waiting for the first layer of gs to dry then another scrub down on the ones who haven't been fully stripped yet. Now if I could just keep my fingers off the gs when it's still soft.. :rolleyes:

Thanks, brother. As for that second part, check this out

It has begun.  Think bloated, nasty Nurgly guy with atrophied legs (or basically stubbs with pox ridden fat rolls) held aloft with little whirly gig plague drone like engines......  yup, and I have 10 days to finish the build.   One down.... 1-2 more to go.

jumpeng01.jpg

jumpeng02.jpg

jumpeng03.jpg

Check out my Templars of DOOooom thread for most of the work in progress.

Edited by rednekkboss

I, Dosjetka, challenge Brother-Captain Arkhan to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a character on foot. I shall bring forth a Imperial Fists Legion Centurion in Tactical Dreadnought Armour before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I, Brother-Captain Arkhan, accept the challenge set to me by Chaplain Dosjetka, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a character on foot. I shall bring forth a Legion Praetor of the XIII 'War-Born' before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Damn You already started!

Looking forward to your progres.For now it looks nice!

I must pick up the Captain frome the store and think about making him more Imperial Fist than he is.

Good start and I see i will have to do my very best to get out victorious.

Or do I? Not like i wanna get that mini in my face :tongue.:

Started? I wish! I just washed the dust off :laugh.:

GreyRavenC – where is the model from? From the dilapidated cloths I am guessing cultist but I cannot place it.  

GreyRavenC, where's that cool figure from?

It's a Scavvy Leader from 1999 from Necromunda. Very hard to find those guys, I searched a long time for mine. It seemed fitting to convert him to a Character for my Shadow War kill team.

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

And all outstanding challenges have been answered!

POINT OF ORDER

Guys, please dispense with the quoting of each other's pictures for the sole reason of commenting on them. Not only here, but anywhere on the forum.

It's simply a bad practice. For a multitude of reasons:

1. It clogs the thread. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to force others to look at the same pictures twice. This is doubly annoying for mobile users. 
  2. Remember most people use free accounts on third party photo sharing services like Photobucket. Non-paying members have a limit to the amount of traffic for their pictures, as well as some paid-for accounts. If you quote other people's pictures, their pictures' traffic will increase exponentially, which leads their free accounts to reach their traffic limit sooner, which causes the pictures to stop working on other sites, which in turns forces the frater to start a paying account to make their pictures work. In other words: by quoting pictures unnecessarily, you force someone to spend money. That's just not cool.
  3. A simple @Frater XYZ: will suffice in showing who you're talking to. 
  4. If you absolutely have to quote someone else's picture, put them between hidden or spoiler tags. This only increases traffic when you 'open' those, and doesn't force other frater to look at them.  

Thanks!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Am I still within the deadline for posting a challenge for this month as the rules sat till the 9th of july, but I don't know whether that has changed?

If so here is my Challenge

I, Kordhal, challenge The Traitor to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a infantry unit. I shall bring forth a unit of  Void Revenants Intercessors before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

Am I still within the deadline for posting a challenge for this month as the rules sat till the 9th of july, but I don't know whether that has changed?

If so here is my Challenge

I, Kordhal, challenge The Traitor to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a infantry unit. I shall bring forth a unit of  Void Revenants Intercessors before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.

I, The Traitor, accept the challenge set to me by Kordhal, and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base an infantry unit. I shall bring forth a unit of Chaos Space Marines/ Noise Marines (magnets) for the Glory of the II Legion, the Harvesters of Souls, and their dark patron, Malal, before the deadline of August 31st, 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02. Let the descendants of true Blackshields fight the descendants of those who pretended to be, and chaos will reign!

Good luck Kordhal, can't wait to see what you come up with, will have to up my game against your awesome conversions!

Finally found some time to sit down and create a more solid idea for my Wolf Lord. He's going to be true scaled using MKIII parts with plasticard spacers instead of using terminator bits (got a different wolf lord conversion idea using terminator parts for the future). I've been tasked by Mikhal to use a frost blade, but the head I'm using makes him seem like more of an axe kind of guy instead of sword wielding so we'll have to see after some more concrete work. Loving everyone else's models so far!

Here is the tentative bits selection:
http://i.imgur.com/y2uEogK.jpg

@ Kordhal: the helmets do look unique, and the tubes give them a nice touch, but have you tried out how two tubes look, one at each side? I'm a big fan of asymmetry myself, but I think in this case it would make them feel more like if they've modified the mk.X suit to better suit their needs, not just made some hasty repairments. However, it is just an oppinion, and maybe it wouldn't look better at all, but I encourage you to at least try it on one and see if it works. However I'm liking a lot how they look, specially the gunslinger sergeant!

Edit: I've just seen you've added sights to the bolt rifles and, while this totally fits your elite force theme, you should either move the optical sights a bit to the side or remove the basic one that comes in the weapon, they're basically obscuring anything they could possibly see through it :P!

Edited by The Traitor

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Great work all around guys! It's really cool to see this event hitting off. Wonderful!

@ Vairocanum: That's going to be a cool looking chaos lord, buddy. I'd ay g for the axe, too. 

@ Grotsmasha and Brother Argent: If you're going to put all progress in a thread seperate from your own WIPs, why not share everything here? That's what this event thread is for, too! :) :tu:

@ Kordhal: those MkIII Breacher helmets sure look good on the MkX armour. I'm interested to see a double whammy on the tubing, too. :)

@Dosjetka, I'm coming for you, buddy...

I
Foundations

OK, so here we go. A bits breakdown for the remake of the Master of the Black One Hundred. After a lot of thought, I decided that the old version simply wasn't hardcore enough for what I imagined a leader of the War-Born XIIIth to be - especially when we're talking about the leader of a what is effectively a penal company of War-Born that didn't fit the 'Ultramarine' mold Guilliman wished to impose upon the Legion.

So, here's the initial breakdown of all the bits I am pondering. I can't decide upon the following:

• whether or not to redo the crest in transverse style;
  • whether to keep the round shield as a homage to the original model, or go with a damaged breacher shield in homage to the inspiration for this model (see below)
  • whether to magnetise the weapon arm to switch between paragon gladius and thunder hammer (for times when you absolutely have to kill everything in the room)
  • whether to go with the Chaplain Enkomi Mk4 backpack + cloak, in keeping with the original model, or to keep it Mk3 and go with a Suzerain backpack (plus a Kage pattern torn and battered cloak - to further tie him in to the inspiration below, and in keeping with the overall war-torn aesthetic of the Hundred)

http://i.imgur.com/X9dTorL.jpg

Oh, and as for the inspiration? Well, the War-Born of the Black One Hundred go right back to their old roots, and superstition plays an increasing part in their warrior culture as they fight without support against the depredations of the horrors unleashed by the XII and XVII Legions during the Shadow Crusade. With this in mind, I pictured their leader taking on a revenant, almost mythic quality as he leads what is effectively a band of doomed men, a forlorn hope raging against the darkness of the Heresy.

So...this guy seemed an apt basis for inspiration for a War-Born Praetor. Bonus points if you know where he's from and what the story behind him is.

http://i.imgur.com/s7a7hIh.jpg

Great stuff, BCA! Very inspiring.

Unfortunately I cannot focus that inspiration to my DP - as I'm stuck! I cannot find the skaven giant censer that I was hoping to use as his CC weapon, and I'm still waiting for the storm talon exhaust bits I ordered from eBay. You see - I am pretty much set on making a custom giant Jump Pack for the Nurgle Daemon Prince, but time is now really starting to be my enemy. This is what I have so far, and without those two sets of bits, I actually cannot continue working on him!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170707_003_zpshkmxojiq.jpg

Considering this dude is going to be way more involved than the custom Bloodthirster I did before, and that thing took me about two weeks, I'm starting to get a little worried! Also, BCK's custom Bloothirster is looking schmexy as all hell, as is starting to shape up - he's making really good progress!

So at this point, I'm starting to panic a bit. Have I made the right choice? Shouldn't he have wings (but that's be too easy, plus I'll have to wait for good wings anyway, as I've pretty much decided against the metal BT wings. Not because they're broken, but because I don't like 'm for the Nurgle DP). Should I perhaps start a different Daemon Prince?

I still have these bits lying around (for ages now, after a spur of the moment midnight eBay bits buy) which I could, together with my plastic Roboute Guilliman, make into a Slaaneshi DP....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/temporary_zpsyapcpbp9.jpg 

Thoughts? Should I switch projects, or wait for the bits?

POINT OF ORDER - Slight Event Rules Adjustment

A friendly PM from a friendly frater reminded me that some units have a smaller minimum unit size than five - Bloodcrushers, Centurion squads, etc. For that reason, I'm altering the Unit Size restriction for the Unit of Infantry Event Category to "legal minimum size". :tu:

• whether or not to redo the crest in transverse style;
  • whether to keep the round shield as a homage to the original model, or go with a damaged breacher shield in homage to the inspiration for this model (see below)
  • whether to magnetise the weapon arm to switch between paragon gladius and thunder hammer (for times when you absolutely have to kill everything in the room)
  • whether to go with the Chaplain Enkomi Mk4 backpack + cloak, in keeping with the original model, or to keep it Mk3 and go with a Suzerain backpack (plus a Kage pattern torn and battered cloak - to further tie him in to the inspiration below, and in keeping with the overall war-torn aesthetic of the Hundred)

Now this should be quite something! Really looking forwards to seeing the model take shape! As for my two cents on your questions...

• I love transverse style crests but cannot shake the feeling that it would be kinda pointless in this case, when this particular head has such a meticulously formed crest. I'd either leave it as it is or switch in a different head.
  • I'd keep the round shield, both because it looked excellent on the first version and because it's something we don't see nearly enough of in XIII legion armies :)
  • I got nothing on the magnetising question: It would probably make lots of sense from a flexibility perspective, although I will say that, speaking from a purely visual perspective, characters informed by their narrative usually profit from being envisioned with one particular equipment option. The gladius seems closer to the feeling you are trying to evoke.
  • I rather like the Ivanus Enkomi cape and backpack, but I'd also love to see you mockup that tattered cloak, so yeah...

That guy at the bottom is from Ryse: Son of Rome, isn't he?

Hope this helps! :)

I'm stuck! I cannot find the skaven giant censer that I was hoping to use as his CC weapon, and I'm still waiting for the storm talon exhaust bits I ordered from eBay. So at this point, I'm starting to panic a bit. Have I made the right choice? I still have these bits lying around which I could make into a Slaaneshi DP....

Thoughts? Should I switch projects, or wait for the bits?

http://i.imgur.com/GNNs0dv.gif

Stick the the Nurgle project. The jump pack can wait for the bits to come in while you work on the rest of the figure. The other project you're considering is at least as involved and I think you'd be worrying about both the whole time if you did switch (and whether or not you made the right decision) so spare yourself the anxiety and stay on the first. You work a LOT faster than I do and I have faith that you can get it done in time.

Sooo, the wolf lord for my challenge has been fully assembled and here are the final wip pic. I may add something to the helm to make it more brutal (ideas) and maybe i add a bolter amd some more knifes to make him more the one man killer machine he is.

889394_sm-.jpg

889391_sm-.jpg

889392_sm-.jpg

889390_sm-.jpg

Lookong forward to your c&c

Andrew, what do you use to strip plastic? I have only ever successfully striped metal models?

Also three plasma pistols? Do they have a death wish ;) ?

Kordhal, those head swaps are great.

Arkham, if I may, mark IV back pack on the mark III armour would not only set him apart from run of the mill but could tie in with the  against the general feel that I think you are going for. Not enough resources so we have taken what we have and adapted it.

Augustus, hope your bits arrive as i think we all would love to see a jump pack daemon prince. 

POINT OF ORDER - Slight Event Rules Adjustment

A friendly PM from a friendly frater reminded me that some units have a smaller minimum unit size than five - Bloodcrushers, Centurion squads, etc. For that reason, I'm altering the Unit Size restriction for the Unit of Infantry Event Category to "legal minimum size". :thumbsup:

Ahh, err, well I better start striping 5 more warriors to make a legal unit of 10.

MikhalLeNoir, that is stunning work.  Instead of a bolter how about some old style pistol, count as Archeotech Pistol?