++// AUGUST ARENA 2017 - EVENT THREAD \\++

@ BCK: I hope your friend is ok. That being sais, your update looks like it's living up to expectations. Nicely proportioned, now. BTW I'm curious why you prefer the wings to be unattached when starting painting - when I did mine, they weren't in the way at all - for drybrushing or for airbrushing. 

@ rednekkboss: Nice start, buddy. What's that banner/bell bit he's carrying?

That'd be his cursed staff. ;)

Time to show him his rival, Varred! Pick up the pace! :D

Dam Man. Good job there. I have just put mine togethter so i will be finishing soon. Here are parts Used. He is pretty much stock tho.

http://i.imgur.com/pIZvCKd.jpg

The base will not feature Tau remains as i screwed it up a bit and it didnt quite go well with the rest of my primaris.

I hope i can get him done by wednesday and post quality pics sometime around weekend.

Cheers

Varred

@ KingKurama: Technically the challenge period is over, but I can make an exception if you find someone yourself. There are no more frater who have already declared their participation, so you'll have to find someone from the forum yourself :smile.::thumbsup:

@ BCK: I really like the lefthanded axe, but the lefthanded one seems a bit unpractical - axes don't really have straight edges, but curved ones to lways hit their park with the smallest amount of edge, so as to have the biggest impact / N/cmc - but now that I'm saying this I realize a BT doesn't care for those shenanigans. That being said, I still prefer a more rounded edge on the double bearded axe... :thumbsup:

@ rednekkboss: haha I got that, yeah. I was asking about where the bit is from - what kit? :)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

But he's a 20 foot tall demon from another dimension with the head of a crocodile, cloven feet, wings that are nowhere near large enough to support its weight, and strong enough to chop tanks in half. Like you said, it probably doesn't matter too much about the shape of the axe in that situation. Normally I like to add as much realism to the models as I can, but in this instance I wanted something different than the normal axe shapes. 

He is pretty much stock tho.

Stock doesn't matter man, going for Imperial Fists is hard enough already! Can't wait to see how you're going to tackle his paintjob.

A better look at the axes, as promised.

I'm always amazed at your ability to make everything you model supersexy. Especially your blades are top notch!

But he's a 20 foot tall demon from another dimension with the head of a crocodile, cloven feet, wings that are nowhere near large enough to support its weight, and strong enough to chop tanks in half. Like you said, it probably doesn't matter too much about the shape of the axe in that situation. Normally I like to add as much realism to the models as I can, but in this instance I wanted something different than the normal axe shapes. 

On the other hand, this might be the exact reason for making the one part of him that actually has a chance to be plausible more plausible. Just sayin'... ;)

If you guys are gonna push me on it, I did do some research on axe designs before starting my sketches, and there are some axes with a straight edge. Not many, granted, but some. 

http://i.imgur.com/XqVpJrW.png

On the left is a 'broad axe' used in carpenty, then a hatchet, and two 'survival' tomahawks. And to show that it's not just modern tomahawks with a straight edge:

http://i.imgur.com/FwdlZf4.png

Well, the paint pots have been out, so time to report some progress on Captain Elias Draeg.

After pulling him apart to individually paint the arms/torso/cloak/banner/legs without hitting parts I didn't want to paint, I managed to get a good base coat down:

sml_gallery_26154_4148_175013.jpg sml_gallery_26154_4148_432573.jpg

The cloak was fun to paint and give a rich green colour, as Draeg is the Captain of the Fourth 'Resilient' Company, afterwards I added some green and orange washes to help add more tone and depth to it.

sml_gallery_26154_4148_232240.jpg sml_gallery_26154_4148_441500.jpg

Painting the arms was a touch of a challenge as well, as the Runefang Steel paint I had had become sticky and horrible over the year of no use, so I had to paint over it with Ironbreaker so it wasn't as messy.

sml_gallery_26154_4148_50935.jpg

And last but not least the banner itself form good old Pedro Kantor (this is an old metal one too, so I've added a 2p coin on the bottom of the base to balance the model).

Since then, I worked further on him with washes and highlights, before reassembling him, which led to a lot of calamitous issues with gluing him. First of all, some glue dripped onto the fold of the cloak and took away some paint, so I had to repair that, then the superglue on the back banner didn't fit well and white crytalling happened across the backpack, so I had to clean and repaint. The banner connecting point itself now looks like I've dipped it in sand and painted it. Might have to break it off and Liquid GS or ditch the backpack entirely for a new one, but we shall see:

gallery_26154_4148_194968.jpg

The backpack I felt was a little bare too and since I want to challenge myself, I've decided to freehand a silver clenched fist onto it along with a banner saying "Resilient", as that is the name of the Company Draeg leads.

med_gallery_26154_4148_7367.jpg

And that's it form me for now, challenges and failures hamper me, but as I collect sons of Dorn, I share their stubbornness in giving up. :tongue.:

Can't wait to see paint on Ashenwhyte's model soon too!

Cambrius

Edited by Brother Cambrius

If you guys are gonna push me on it, I did do some research on axe designs before starting my sketches, and there are some axes with a straight edge. Not many, granted, but some. 

Hidden Content

http://i.imgur.com/XqVpJrW.png

On the left is a 'broad axe' used in carpenty, then a hatchet, and two 'survival' tomahawks. And to show that it's not just modern tomahawks with a straight edge:

http://i.imgur.com/FwdlZf4.png

Sure, but I never said straight edged bladed axes don't exist - but as you'll notice all those straight axe blades have a very small blade length (also, only one of the pictured axes has a truly straight axe blade) A Bloodthirster would be strong enough to not make that a problem felling large stationary thing - provided the angle of the chop is right. That last problem doesn't exist with round axe blades. Check out this video why. However, if you like it, go for it! ROOL OF COOL :D :tu:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Woops, the 2 first completions are purple! Well done Cambrius! Is that left arm stock?

He's nowhere near finished just yet, got the freehanding to do and fix up some other bits and pieces. :)

The left arm isn't stock alas, it's form the 25th Anniversary Miniature GW sold in Finecast (-shudders-) back in 2012. I used the main body for my Kantor counts as model back then, and have had the helmet and arm waiting to be used in a model of some description.

Cambrius

He's nowhere near finished just yet, got the freehanding to do and fix up some other bits and pieces. :smile.:

The left arm isn't stock alas, it's form the 25th Anniversary Miniature GW sold in Finecast (-shudders-) back in 2012. I used the main body for my Kantor counts as model back then, and have had the helmet and arm waiting to be used in a model of some description.

Cambrius

Seems like my celebrations were premature! Don't leave your purple brother alone for too long :laugh.:

It's a good thing the model was usable. I had some truly horrific casts that resulted in throwing away the model, save for some bits.

Fixed the hammer. I think the slight adjustment of its angle, and rotating the head, does indeed fix the overall pose? No? Thoughts?

That's a really great model and a fantastic base. Can't wait to see it painted up.

Tried out some armor on the 'Thirster's leg today.

Looking great. I'd make the armour beaten, cracked and generally very damaged (if I had that sort of skill with GS) but you probably have planned that down the line already.

Right I managed to make a start last night, managed to chop a few models up and stick a few things together. Below is Urmak the merciless, he is a beserker champion of my cohort. I'm undecided which way to go, do i go for classic beserker helmet or plain head? 

Urmak1

Urmak8

also with regards to back pack to i go classic beserker or one with skulls? 

Urmak3

Urmak5

I aim to swap the BP for a combi-plasma and i think i will try and get the lightning claw to clasp an astartus head of his recent victim, so plenty to do :D 

@ Sagentus: I'd go with the bare head, because it makes him look more like a character instead of yet another 'zerker. And because I guess I have a bit of a thing for that particular head ;)

Have you considered replacing the claw with one from the Raptor/Warp Talons? I think that Termie Lord claw seems a little clunky, and if nothing else, I'd probably get rid of the two horns on the underside.

Cheers Kraut. I think you're right in saying the plain head give more character. Should i go for the plain head with beserker back pack? I'm not to keen on the one with skulls. 

I did consider it and I think you are right. I just really liked the workings on the back of the lightning claw, maybe i could do something similar on the warp talon one

Hmm, to be honest, I've had that backpack in my bitzbox for ages, and I've never used it for anything because it just seems a bit too tacky for my taste -- like the grimdark version of a tiffany lamp :wink:

That being said, what it does well is to point out his status as something more than a mere berzerker, so maybe you could come up with a backpack that is slightly less overwraught, but does have some kind of extra bling (or a small trophy pole or what have you) to show he's the top dog?!

As for the helmet vs. no helmet debate: I personally love that bare head, period. If you want to give him a helmet, however, I'd make sure it was something a bit more special, not just berzerker helmet 101: maybe something from the Wrathmongers or Blood Warriors? Those kits have some seriously awesome bunny-eared helmets! But again, the bare head is perfectly fine, in my opinion.

Edited by KrautScientist

@KrautScientist - I was going to stick a spike (on the beserker back pack) with astartus heads on the top of it as trophies and will add more on chains hanging off of it. but i think you're right in saying the other back pack is a bit gimmicky.

I think ill go for the plain head as i am on an extremely tight budget and dont have the Wrathmongers or Blood Warriors set :D 

Well, sorry for the delay but I finally have something decent to post, the full CSM squad minus back packs and magnetised options for Noise Marines:

gallery_92948_12550_700787.jpg

Will be press moulding my own version of backpack for the following days, as well as some sonic weaponry, and then I'll hopefully be able to paint them before the month ends... @Khordal, I'm going for you!!! You can see some pics of the chestplates on my WIP thread, it always bothers me to have to cover most of my greenstuff work with boltguns...

Edited by The Traitor