Tangamarine vs. Kortmer Inquisitorial Stand-Off (Arena WIP)

K0rtmer

Evening Gentlemen and Ladies.

In the context of this year's August Arena competition, Frater Tangamarine and myself are finding ourselves facing off each other building, painting, and basing an Inquisitorial Kill Team by or before July 30. The competition is friendly and doesn't so much aim at one of us "winning" over the other. Instead, we're both aiming at getting it done in time – and getting it done well. Any progress shall be logged and shown off in this thread.

This should be entertaining. I understand Frater Tangamarine hasn't picked up a brush in a long time. I hear he also didn't use glue in a while. Being a very, very slow painter myself, I reckon I actually have a halfway decent chance of beating him to the deadline.

I shared this picture of my Ordo Malleus inquisitor and his two veteran acolytes in the mean thread before:

gallery_80057_10843_978023.jpg

In the meantime I took people's advice and straightened the hammer. Looks better, and fixes the awkwardness of the overall pose (I think). I also put together the three Red Hunter paladins that complete my 250 points of Heralds Of Ruin KT.

gallery_80057_10843_285781.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_135281.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_687305.jpg

I'll go clean up the mess and put together their bases now. Wanting to prime tomorrow, southern hemisphere weather permitting. Oh, and drill the gun barrels.

gallery_80057_10843_916691.jpg

Edited by Brother Kortmer

Well, I just typed up a nice chunky reply to this, and my computer managed to eat it, so I aplogise if this is a little susict, its getting kind of late over here in New Zealand.

Starting point for the squad:

gallery_47623_13415_859603.jpg
I have decided to go with an urban theme for the bases, and trying to improve on my previous bases, with were just several peces of plasticard chipped round the edges to look like cracked pavement. This time I have added cork and patterned plasticard to the mix, along with a few cities of death gubbins and plasticard piping.

Over the last few days completing the bases for each acolyte - no small order when it took a minimum of half an hour per base!

gallery_47623_13415_306143.jpg
gallery_47623_13415_362172.jpg

And progress tonight on the inquisitor's base: Will eventually have half a door frame and ruined steps, as to look like she is showing her inquisitorial seal to the unfortunate occupants of a building her squad will be inspecting for signs of xenos taint.

gallery_47623_13415_203004.jpg
gallery_47623_13415_303193.jpg
After I finish the inquisitors base tomorrow, early Saturday, I intend to fix all the additional details still required on the model, such as gap filling the phase carbines, adding cables, and sculpting a new hand for the rogue trader.
Paint scheme wise, I intend to go with a black/ dark grey special ops kind of look, with cartoonish damage being applied (chipped armour etc) with minimal, if at all weathering involved.

@Brother Kortmer: Loving the new and improved pose of the inquisitor, along with that huge ass daemon head you have going on there :smile.:. I might have to borrow, neigh acquire (by inquisitorial mandate of course) ​the mould you are using for the symbols on the acolytes heads - it looks ace and could be the perfect finishing touch to the pauldrons of my own acolytes. I also noticed the texture of our corks differs significantly - overall I feel like yours seems to break a look nicer than my - currently I am tearing mine away with plyers to get the desired effect. (My own supply is offcuts from model railway cork underlay which may explain it).

Keep up the good work! I am sure next update will show your models half painted already! (who am I kidding, my scryer skulls have already fed me picts of this very thing! - quite an achievement to have painted in todays dreadful weather! )

Edited by Tangamarine

School holidays! (I'm one of these teachers who tries to do as little work as possible during the break. I routinely clock 60 to 70 hours weekly during term time, so I don't feel too bad about it. Leaves me with some time for painting too.)

This is how far I pushed it today.

gallery_80057_10843_525664.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1010552.jpg

Inquisitor almost done, maybe the odd touch-up. Might have to go back and change a couple things around depending on what you people advise and/or criticize. Let me know - all most welcome.

gallery_80057_10843_647319.jpg

All airbrushing out of the way: ash-white for the bases, red for the paladins, unsure what to do with my inquisitor's house guard - but I'll keep them dark, sinister, black and dark leather tones and otherwise mirroring the inquisitor's colors, purple and gold. Absolutely unsure as of yet.

gallery_80057_10843_1281778.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_467649.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_973501.jpg

Very cool stuff!

You guys have any back stories to go with your warbands?

Are they rival war bands ex. Puritans vs Radicals maybe?

To be honest, I don't have a thing written up for mine. - I'm participating in a small, 250-points Heralds Of Ruin Kill Team tournament later this year. Bonus points for a well-painted team, more so for a team that's radically different from that I usually play, and extra bonus points if people don't work out what I'll bring. (Nobody expects the Inquisition - not from a die-hard Chaos player anyway.) I'm running the risk that my mates read this forum, but I'm too casual for an actual competition anyway. Therefore, no ... that's the entire background of my team. Has got nothing to do with Tangamarine's team - yet.

@Tangamarine, how are you gonna paint your bases? We might even do a similar basing color, ash-white could fit your black special-ops look quite well actually, and get together for group shots on scenic terrain. Write up fluff too. I guess my inquisitor looks more like a puritan of some sorts?!

Thanks for the kind words, Vairocanum. Much appreciated.

Most brief update tonight. It's late and I'm struggling to take halfway decent pictures.

gallery_80057_10843_511688.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_118697.jpg

@Tangamarine: Actually I still have the original Blue Stuff press molds I used for my inquisitorial accessories around. More than happy to lend them out to you, a couple of small inquisition symbols and extra purity seals in there. I might catch you next weekend for a game of 8th? Would that be early enough?

Edited by Brother Kortmer

Right, time for a much needed update. Unforseen changes to my weekend plans saw a lot less actually being done - I only had sunday night to put a few hours into the inquisitors base, which still needs some detailing done to the side of the stairwell - any thoughts would be appreciated here, at the moment I am considering a few vents press moulded via greenstuff.

gallery_47623_13415_33318.jpg

gallery_47623_13415_576200.jpg

gallery_47623_13415_257856.jpg

A convientient loseless of the bluetack letting the assain lean forwards more has led to a more dynamic, leaning forward pose, which seems to convey a bit of speed to the model - like she has just completed a dash through a group of enemy combatants, with a slightly unfavourable outcome for the opposition.

gallery_47623_13415_407899.jpg

gallery_47623_13415_358494.jpg

Very cool stuff!

You guys have any back stories to go with your warbands?

Are they rival war bands ex. Puritans vs Radicals maybe?

Parts of my team have been taking part in a Choas vs Imperium Brother Kortmer and I have going on with a few friends at the moment, but have traditionally faced off against his vile traitors.

I have tried to keep the more radical elements our of the killteam thus far, and losely base some visual elements off the Agents of Shield TV show, (unfortunately I didn't have the to to find bits for a telekenitc member, or a forcefield covered in inquisition runes acting as a stormshield.The changes to inquisition in 8th as put these guys on the backburner also - I have a corvus blackstar as a guncutter which will be used in games as a valkyrie / blackstar. I envision these guys boarding cargo ships and conducting fire sweeps to look for any illegal xenos contraband that is smuggled in system.

These look awesome! Looking forward to seeing some paint on them.

What's the torso size difference on those genestealer cult torsos?

What exactly are you refering to? The other members of the killteam, or Brother Kortmer's?

@Tangamarine, how are you gonna paint your bases? We might even do a similar basing color, ash-white could fit your black special-ops look quite well actually, and get together for group shots on scenic terrain. Write up fluff too. I guess my inquisitor looks more like a puritan of some sorts?!

Probably one or several shades of grey - could try for a lighter approach but ultimately want these guys to mesh well with the Tangamarines which traditionally have a darker base to contrast with the orange. The city I am planning could have a few different coloured builds/ sectors which could allow for some leeway in the scheme - which might be a good idea to have them lighter for different factions / my deathwatch also, to ensure they do not blend into the terrain too well.

Is that a subtle dig to get my terrain project off the ground also? :teehee: (In the meantime osme of the hobbymaster terrain ground probably do in a pinch)

Minimal progress on the Red Hunter paladins. Most base colors blocked in. They look terrible at this stage. I intend to tone the garish colors down a lot, and use lots of weathering, grime, and black-lining to tie it all together and work up depth and contrast. I'm an optimist; I like to think I can pull it off.

gallery_80057_10843_665544.jpg

In the meantime I've finished my ash-waste bases. Trying something different this time: light bases and dark models. I'm liking it a lot so far. I've also painted the dead daemon incl. blood effects. Tried to imagine the skin tone of a bloodthirster or something literally bled out, plus ash and dust from the base. Unsure whether I managed exactly that, but I'm mostly happy with how it's turned out.

gallery_80057_10843_81565.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1071897.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to take a couple shots showing individual models and details. Overall I feel I could've done better, but think I manage to strike a fair compromise between getting them done in time and doing a halfway decent job.

Something I'm actually really happy with is the overall color scheme. I wanted to give them a regal appearance and obviously making them look coherent, as a single team, yet draw some distinction between the strictly inquisitorial part and the astartes. Not sure what you think, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

gallery_80057_10843_513375.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_627902.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_79135.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_187431.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_1575235.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_707765.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_831475.jpg

gallery_80057_10843_202315.jpg

Thanks for checking in. Let me know what you think.