GW alternative modeling supplies

Do any of you have recommendations for Alternatives that would be considered just as good as Gamesworkshops Green stuff, cutting mat, modelling tools (for green stuff) drill, knife and their saw kit. Basically everything.

Gw kit just seems a tad pricey for what it is you know?

You can get most of the things at hobby stores. Green stuff is just blue/yellow epoxy, Most hardware stores have it. I use Kneadatite brand and its pretty good.(plus you get WAY more for less money) I find that a lot of cheap shops have cutting mats for like $5. I feel as though quality isn't really important for mats

As for the saw I use a mini hacksaw. It works just fine and the best bit is the replacement blades only cost $3

Hope this helps :)

Edited by brettfp

GW Green Stuff IS Kneadatite blue/yellow putty - it's just rebranded. You can find kneadatite on ebay or in modelling stores. It's better when it's fresh though. Magic sculpt is an alternative two-part putty that's less sticky than green stuff. For sculpting, I prefer silicone rubber shapers; they're slightly flexible tips on brush handles that are great for smoothing and organic shapes. For harder edges and holes, metal shaping tools are useful - often labelled as wax carvers.Vaseline helps lubricate the tooltips.

Self-healing cutting mats are widely available. We've been discussing drills and drill bits a few posts down :)

I have a modelcraft craft knife set that takes a variety of scapel-style blades in different size handles. X-acto is another common brand. A 9mm snap-off blade knife also works for most things, though I do prefer being able to choose blade shape.

I use side cutters and chain nose pliers designed for beading/jewellery making as they have nicer box joints - they last longer and stay straight than cheap lap joint ones, though they were a bit more expensive.

Finally I have a piercing saw that does finer cuts than a razor saw, but does need a desk/hobby vice to hold the model. Blades are dirt cheap though.

Generally, look at craft and hobby shop suppliers; GW tools are almost entirely just rebranded stuff with a price hike.

Don't buy GWS branded ones.

They are medium quality at best and find the professional equivalents instead.

For example Swann-Morton produce surgical scalpel blades if you go for surgery then you'll likely come under their blades so they know how to make sharp implements to the very highest standards. They also make ones that haven't gone through a sterilisation process and you can buy them in bulk for pennies each if you buy them in a 100 pack. They are much better quality that the GWS blades and the retractable blade handles are really much safer than having a cap that can fall off covering the blade when not in use! I got 3 boxes each of a different blade profile about 5 years ago and have enough for a while yet.

Small saws can be bought from the likes of Xacto. I got a double pack about 2 years ago and they haven't shown any signs of blunting yet.

Greenstuff can be bought on ebay in a foot length for less than the price GWS sells a few inches. I got 2 foot for £8 including p&p a few months back.

Side cutters just go to a hardware store and buy a mid priced one. Should be about half the price GWS sells them for and made out of harder metal so will last longer.

thanks for all the quick reply's guys. very informative.

Im tempted to pick up a dermal tbh that way I will have all the wee tools on one. But its always handy having hand tools so keep it up, thank you.

I've seen a puty some people using called exo-putty or something? I've seen bluish and grey kinda looking putty in use. Is that a different substance for different use?

Agreed; Amazon, craft, hobby, and DIY shops are all excellent places to find better-priced alternatives.

I would note that it's better to buy high-quality (even if it costs more) where you can though, as such tools will not only reduce the risk of inadvertently damaging your work or hurting yourself, but they will also last you a lifetime. Good examples are knives with replaceable blades, files, small hand drills, clippers, and small pliers. With things like knives, don't buy cheap Chinese/Poundstore knock-offs; things like short handles and plastic blade collets are all contributors to granting you a quick trip to A&E, and they are hard to spot from online pictures.

For things like Dremels, I doubt you'll really need one unless you are planning lots of extensive conversion of metal figures. Better to save your money for other tools that you'll use more. I say that as (1) I have a Dremel, and (2) I work with a lot of metal figures, and even despite that it is still a corner-case tool. If you still feel you want one, I would get yourself a chuck too - these are vitally useful for Dremels and hand-held rotary tools, as the collets are normally rather faffy to swap out.

With respect to other materials, once you move away from GW products and their direct equivalents, you will find that you have not only more choice, but also that similar materials with different properties increase the range of possibilities for you. A good example of this is putty; the "greenstuff" is actually called Kneadatite and is made by Polymeric Systems Inc. Not only can this be bought from lots of places for a better price that GW sells it, but it also comes in big 36" rolls, as well as in two tubes - the latter is best, as it prevents the two yellow and blue components from touching each other and curing to make that awful lumpy bit that you have to cut out and throw away every time. Other putties worth a look are Kraftmark's ProCreate (similar to GS), and Milliput Yellow-Grey (feels more like clay to use, much cheaper than GS, and cures much harder).

Finally, it's worth keeping an eye out in drugstores, supermarkets, and various beauty shops if you are ever dragged along to any; things like clippers, small files, emery boards, acetone, tiny beads (useful for adding rivets to armour), and many other such wonders can all be found in places like these. ;)

If you have any specific questions on particular tools or products, I'm sure we can help if you make a shortlist. Are you starting out / returning, or are you looking to expand / enhance your tool and equipment collection? :)

I was surprised to find the generic version of GW's drill on Amazon for half the price. Search for "precision pin vise" and you'll have a number of options, one of which is the identical make and model but without the markup.