+++Space Marines Outpost+++

Well done Azreal!

Guys I have to say, the BAs are doing a great job and deliver completion upon completion! You really need to step up the effort - especially among first vows!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

How the warp are the Blood Angels doing so well!? There must have been hundreds of BA players just waiting in the shadows, sitting on their 5th edition armies waiting for their faction to become good again. I find it amazing that there are as many BA players as there are Regular SM players!

Better completion rates and more completed points in absolute terms! In fact low completion rates is something that has traditionally plagued the SMs Forum...

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Sorry Captain, I think you missed me out on the update. Don’t want to be on the punishment list, the fortress monastery latrines are clean enough

Yeap, my bad! Fixed now! :) Thx fir the heads up!

I find it amazing that there are as many BA players as there are Regular SM players!

There aren't! As of the last update, we have 52% more participants than them and 40% more vows made. The difference is that they are actually completing their vows, and we, for the most part, are not.

Recent completions have helped, but there are some 28,000 points worth of first vows still unfinished, and only two out of our twenty largest vows have been completed.

Yeap, that's it! ^

Vow complete

Hidden Content

gallery_15184_7227_401776.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_1043584.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_972562.jpg

Will take better pictures later.

Great work Honda - they look awesome - especially when shown side-by-side! And excellent free-hand work too on the shield! And the Byzantine theme? Nice touch! :tu:

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Lovely Knights Honda. You also managed to make them into fellow crusaders while still making them visually distinct, which is special private pet peeve of mine, so these are satisfying multiple levels.

That shield freehand is just great. At some point I'm going to have dare enter that realm, for now im keeping a scared distrance with my decals instead. Oh and I like the fact that Red Dawn also has a painted cannon. Almost all knights i see the barrel is bare metal, but then they're always painted on things like Leman Russes, so no reason they couldn't be here too.

Also pardon me if I missed it but did you name Red Dawn's buddy? I knew you were going with this alternate weapon loatout for him but what do you think you'll use him as? Counts as Gallant?

Lovely Knights Honda. You also managed to make them into fellow crusaders while still making them visually distinct, which is special private pet peeve of mine, so these are satisfying multiple levels.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm still walking in your  footsteps. :)

That shield freehand is just great. At some point I'm going to have dare enter that realm, for now im keeping a scared distrance with my decals instead.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that when painting  at that scale, you're not going to provide the same level of detail as a figure. So you tend to paint areas that "imply" shape/shadow. If you look the earlier close up, it's not that impressive, but as you step away from the image it pulls together somehow. I'm not really sure  how it  does that, but I'm glad that it does. :)

Oh and I like the fact that Red Dawn also has a painted cannon. Almost all knights i see the barrel is bare metal, but then they're always painted on things like Leman Russes, so no reason they couldn't be here too.

Yes, I think they look better painted too. I think it was important to make sure that side didn't get lost in a mash of  metallics and  that seemed to be the way to go.

Also pardon me if I missed it but did you name Red Dawn's buddy?

The current working name is "Tempestus Furor", which  is supposed to mean "Storm's Fury". No idea if it actually means that in Latin.

I knew you were going with this alternate weapon loatout for him but what do you think you'll use him as? Counts as Gallant?

I suppose he  could represent the Gallant, but my initial intention was to have him represent the FW Cerastus, the  one with the lance and shield. I've discovered that I prefer the GW rendition  of  knights  except for the FW Porphyrion (sp?), which I think is really cool. Someday it  would be  nice to work on one of those.

However, in the meantime,  another GW knight done up as a Gallant will happen eventually. I have another  shield  from the 3rd party vendor and I think it  would look pretty cool in combination with a massive chainsword.

Cheers,

Vow 2 finally complete. This took me a lot longer than I wanted.

uGoPSG2.jpg

Vow 3 

I, Tankus Wokus, Rise to the challenge of E Tenebrae Lux for the glory of the Crimson Guard. I do vow to complete the following vow (682 points total) before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the “Badge of the Oathbreaker” until the end of the year.

Primaris Repulsor, Twin Lascannon, Las-Talon, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launchers, 2x Storm Bolters, 2x Fragstorm launchers, Ironhail Heavy Stubber

Predator Tank, Predator Autocannon, 2x Heavy Bolters

Predator Tank, Twin Lascannons, 2x Lascannons

Dd7BSak.jpg

Many Thanks

I might as well provide an update to this painting crusade. So far I have completed my IF Captain, BT Reivers, Terminators, Vanguard Veterans, and Assault Marines. Having gotten this far in the vow, regrettably not as quickly as I had hoped, I ask my brothers how best to paint white. I have slaved over these miniatures for countless hours and have tried several techniques but I can't get their shoulder pads smooth like I would want them to be. My current fruitless technique is applying thin coats of a beige color until the undercoat of primer no longer shows through and slowly adding White Scar over the top to finally appear white. The issue is that nine times out of ten the paint winds up looking chalky or brush lines are very visible despite my constant attention to the areas being painted, so I ask those more skilled artisans, what am I missing? Any other comments or critiques of my painting is also welcome, and thank you to my brethren that offer up their own masterfully painted characters and squads to offer up inspiration. Until the end, brothers!

dYCiwhw.jpgvKsQolb.jpg

All that remains are my Chaplain, Cataphractii Terminator Captain, and Grimaldus. I hope I can do them justice.

The issue is that nine times out of ten the paint winds up looking chalky or brush lines are very visible despite my constant attention to the areas being painted, so I ask those more skilled artisans, what am I missing?

Actually, your stuff looks pretty good.

White shoulder pads...can be a very entertaining exercise.

1. Are you open to using non-GW paints? I use Vallejo and I would say the Vallejo Model Color Offwhite would be very helpful.

2. Are you going for a warm white (base sand/tan/brown) or a cool white (base black/grey/blue)?

3. Are you looking for a bright white shoulder pad, or is a contrast from your black enough?

So, something to think about. In the image below, you see typical white/black contrasts as used for Templar heraldry.

gallery_15184_7227_569504.jpg

There isn't any white or black used to accomplish this effort.

So when I ask what type of white you are trying to get to, could you in fact, use a light grey to cover over your primer/basecoat, then use a light grey (with white added) to give enough contrast and have it look like white?

You'll get this, so stay patient, and see if an alternative method will get you there.

Cheers,

So close to completing my second vow!

Marshall (aka captain) with relic blade + storm shield is now done. I just have my Castellan (aka Lt) to finish, and he is already well on the way :D

To echo what others have said, we are in the last two weeks now and lets all encourage each other to push on and complete our vows! 

WITH FAITH AND ZEAL ALL CHALLENGES CAN BE OVERCOME! FORWARD BROTHERS!  

ZxU47CX.jpg
a93wmZ6.jpg
DpLpNk0.jpg

I, golfdeltafoxtrot, rise to the challenge of E TENEBRAE LUX on the side of the Raven Guard Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes and vow to complete one Lieutenant of total value of 63 points on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory and failure will doom me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year-end.

gallery_103206_14222_959173.jpeg

It's only one model, I've got plenty of time.

Brothers... I admit a lack of faith, of zeal.  My primaris are nearly complete but it has taken me over three times the time I intended.  I was hoping to finish them today but lets just say my... indulgences in certain beverages has insured I lack a certain coordination required for painting.  Hopefully will have them done on the weekend.  I shall finish them and more.  Seems for once Angels of Death were looking like winning and now the sodding Horus Heresy chaps are looking at beating us again.  So brothers, Marshall your forces, gather your brushes and paint!  We will not fail again!  We will win this!

Second vow complete!

Pictures as promised, sorry for the delay in posting them.

Sadly I wont be able to do a 3rd vow. I have 15 more crusaders I need to paint but I had already started them when it came to ETL so they couldn't qualify. 

Good luck to all those that still have vows to complete, we are in the last proper week and all the ZEAL must be unleashed!

wnlWJX7.jpg
1f8zmUp.jpg
5H7GrZw.jpg
gnkoKdw.jpg

OK guys, the clock is ticking... Let's see some completions - especially for the first vows!

Second vow complete. Will add pictures when I get home to my computer, I can't figure out how to add pictures on mobile :tongue.:

I have already registered you as complete. When you get the pics please edit them in your post above. :)

UPDATED TO THIS POINT!

Actually, your stuff looks pretty good.

White shoulder pads...can be a very entertaining exercise.

1. Are you open to using non-GW paints? I use Vallejo and I would say the Vallejo Model Color  Offwhite would be very helpful.

2. Are you going for a warm white (base sand/tan/brown) or a cool white (base black/grey/blue)?

3. Are you looking  for a bright white shoulder  pad, or is  a contrast from your black enough?

So, something to think about. In the image below, you see typical white/black contrasts as used for Templar heraldry.

There isn't any white or black  used to accomplish this effort.

So when I ask what type of white  you are trying to get to, could you in fact, use a light grey to cover over your primer/basecoat, then use a light grey (with white added) to give  enough contrast and have it  look like white?

You'll get this, so stay patient, and see if an alternative method will get you there.

Cheers,

Sorry it took me a second to get back to you Honda, I am aiming to get a cool and bright white on my shoulder pads or wherever it would be otherwise. Definitely open to using non-GW paints and I am actually using the P3 Menoth Base to start my white. Essentially I go from primer gray, to the tan of tabards or parchment, to the white. I have thought of trying the technique they show in the WarhammerTV videos for doing "white" with their buildup from gray but haven't gotten around to that yet. I apologize for being stubborn in wanting my white to be actual white instead of just a light gray contrast, I enjoy the stark contrast and crisp look(bad painting aside) of white shoulder pads and black power armor. Should I think about investing in an airbrush since manual techniques seem to be beyond my skill? Thanks for the help!

Archived