PBB's Thousand Sons, Daemons and Chaos // Nurgle Knight

I havent been able to get in as much hobby time as I'd like due to silly things like children that wont sleep and children knocking their teeth out and children generally being life stealing selfish jer-... I mean bundles of joy.

Anyway... what HAVE I actually done. well I have the beginnings of my banner replacement...

gallery_106203_14654_43083.jpggallery_106203_14654_52606.jpg

I think I'm happy with the placement... I wanted it to be more out in the open but then realised that if the chains were any longer then while stationary it woul be dragging on the ground. My plan is to glue chains to the wires and then hopfully the wires wont be that noticable when the chain is painted and the wire isnt. I might double up on the chains to help with this.

Im also a lot happier with the Chain Cleaver after adding a couple more horns...

gallery_106203_14654_58605.jpg

Let me know what you think of those, any other ideas?

Replies... wow... okey doke...

@Elduderino

Thanks man! well as I said before I just looked at the forge world kit for reference and felt inspired by Aug's effort on his Armigers. Glad you like the Rune on the shoulder, I could have done the whole thing but I liked the idea of it pushing/burning its way through the armour and not having finished doing so.

@hushrong

Perfect man, I wanted it to look Bestial and Brutal so I cant ask for higher praise really!

@Charlo

Ha ha ha ha... MAIM, KILL, BURN! :devil:

@Augustus B'rass

Holy crap man... Thank you so much! honestly i thought you had been here already until you said. I'm glad you enjoyed what I've put up. I have more ideas than I have time so I shouldn't be slowing down any time soon on the content. You have been one of the huge inspirations to me here so you partly to thank for the quality of the work and me trying to push myself a little harder. drop by any time with your feedback, ideas or plagerism! if you want to steal my ideas... is there any higher compliment here? Also, thanks for asking about the thread, I'm pretty sure that its thanks to that, the activity on my thread seemed to explode. I could always do with more helpful eyes and scrutiny for my projects.

@Chazzmos

Dynamic is another important keyword im thankful to hear. My friend runs a fully Khornate Chaos army and enjoys playing aggressively (on more than one occasion pointlessly ramming rhinos into stuff back in the day), so I felt like the standard fixed Knight pose wasn't aggressive enough. Also if i can help encourage/inspire someone to push themselves by showing them my process, that would give me such a kick. Really glad you like how its looking, thanks!

@Mechanist

Steal away man, I love the idea of us all banding together and helping each other out. I was aiming for the same aesthetic as the Forgeworld resin upgrade armour for the Renegade Knights. while my emulation of them didn't come off as well as I'd like I'm really happy with the results I HAVE got. Also the pilot... Yeah, Augustus and Kraut we're doing these wicked conversions with the Pilots inside the cock pits, so I felt inspired, but didn't have the bits to creat a cockpit with a reaosnable amount of effort. Then I got thinking... What of a berzerkers was in one of these things... Would he be satisfied looking at the destruction through a screen, would he willingly stay in there? Thus... This guy was born. I don't have a name for him yet.

Thanks so much guys for being so encouraging and coming to visit, i really appreciate it! Pop by any time if you have ideas and please don't be afraid point out anything your not sure about, i like the honest feedback I get here.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

I havent been able to get in as much hobby time as I'd like due to silly things like children that wont sleep and children knocking their teeth out and children generally being life stealing selfish jer-... I mean bundles of joy.

Amen to that... Also I get the joy of a 4k word assignment due December the 12th around full time work and decorating the lounge so I've done nothing in weeks. 

@Mechanist

Steal away man, I love the idea of us all banding together and helping each other out. I was aiming for the same aesthetic as the Forgeworld resin upgrade armour for the Renegade Knights. while my emulation of them didn't come off as well as I'd like I'm really happy with the results I HAVE got. Also the pilot... Yeah, Augustus and Kraut we're doing these wicked conversions with the Pilots inside the cock pits, so I felt inspired, but didn't have the bits to creat a cockpit with a reaosnable amount of effort. Then I got thinking... What of a berzerkers was in one of these things... Would he be satisfied looking at the destruction through a screen, would he willingly stay in there? Thus... This guy was born. I don't have a name for him yet.

I think it looks ace and something to be proud of, the horns are really nice. I would love to see a couple of step by step pics to see how you start them. 

I've currently got my Daemon Knight on the desk waiting for some time and then 2 Armiger Warglaives and 3 more full knights on sprue so I'm constantly on the lookout for some real chaos pilots and pilot interfaces.

I think this is one of the first clearly human Pilots but with a true dark mechanicum connection to his ride I've seen, good work.

The banner looks great like that, If you need more chains to hide the wire you can use a load of shorter ones with skulls on the end or ending lose.

If you want to do cool pilots in cockpits Mechanist, then Krautscientist and Augustus have been doing some awesome cockpit conversion. I think they have been using Sentinel parts.  Alterntatively you could go full Dark Mechanicum on your pilots and make them like the Princeps in the Chaos Titans... or you can go with what ever I've got going on and put the pilot on the outside :biggrin.:

I'll do what I can to show you how I've done the ones on my knight.

Krautscientist's blog was what got me to B&C and his build of the knight encouraged me to start mine even if mine stalled a year or so back, Augustus is using recast bits which makes me twitchy so I've been lurking without comment but they are very cool.

I had forgotten about those pictures of Crevette's, though I want to reserve the really daemonic for the 4(ish) specific daemon knights I plan for long term.

For my no daemon knights I want proper chaos cockpit with semi daemonic interface but at least looking like the pilot can get out if needed so I'm liking your setup and will be watching eagerly and as mentioned there isn't that many about where the pilot interface plays with the chaos nature but not so far as to be bound in permanently or nearly dead.

Hmm... well maybe try to come up with a concept for the pilot and how they drive the thing first. For example, the "Basic" human interface the others have involves electronic and mechanical controls ins a cockpit. I've gone with a sort of neural interface, there is not obvious way for my guy to unplug himself, but it looks like that isnt going to stop him without those chains on him. With the princeps its a step further of being permanently wired in and in the case of chaos, becoming part of the machine. if you want to stick with the concept of an unbound pilot who controls his machine in a way that reflects his chaotic allegiance, maybe sorcery or organic interface within the cockpit? there could just be a bowl of blood in the lap of a blindfolded pilot. maybe the inside of the cockpit is wet and like a mucus membrane? with bones instead of levers? Whats the theme of your army, how do you think they would see the world? That was the driving force behind this... if you put a devout follower of Khorne in the cockpit of a warmachine, how would he drive it?

... there could just be a bowl of blood in the lap of a blindfolded pilot.

Now i want a 40k version of bloodbowl and make a knight for it.

Great work on these latest updates, all that gs is superb. The chainaxe looks awesome.

Will there be anything occupying the space where the head used to be on the banner? Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing how the chains turns out. I tried drenching chains in superglue last night, needless to say it didn't turn out perfect haha.

Ok, so all I managed to do last night was get on with some basing and work on the Icon. My friend is using a load of bases he has bought for his world eaters army, ever since ebaying one that came with a base that he liked. To kep continuity within his army, I asked him to give me a big base (he gave me an 80mm base), and I chopped it up to spread some of the detail around what ever I will do...

gallery_106203_14654_38682.jpggallery_106203_14654_32507.jpg

The symbol of Khorne trailing behind it I added some chains onto so now I'll only know if my plan is going to work once I have painted it, so we have that to look forward to.

gallery_106203_14654_39768.jpggallery_106203_14654_9370.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it looks and it feels reasonably sturdy, not too bad.

@Mechanist

I'll see what I can do about showing how I have done the teeth on this. I've made a start so I should be able to give you an in depth break down of the pretty simple process either tonight or tomorrow. Since starting that I've started going though Brother Chaplain Kage's thread and I feel a little embarrassed to be trying to show you guys anything. I think we every demonstration of Green Stuff I do here, I should always be referencing his thread.

@Elduderino

when you say the space the head used to occupy on the banner do you mean where the Lord of Skulls' head would have been? I wasnt planning to, but maybe with some feedback that will change. I was planning on making it longer than it is but thought it would be dragging while on hanging freely and didn't like the idea of that. I hope the photos of the chains helps at all? I'm quite happy with how it turned out but I still have time to make adjustments if people have any feedback that makes me thin I should.

Thanks guys

Right then, as I had the day off and my children slept for a surprising length of time I was able to knock out this little tutorial (requested by Mechanist) faster than I anticipated. I've taken a bunch of pictures, some may seem obvious but I don't want them to seem condescending, hopefully this will be useful for someone of any level trying their hand at Green Stuff. I've also used used minimal tools assuming that those will be the easiest things for someone to find.

Claws/Teeth Growing out of Chaos Armour Trim

These are the two tools I used for this, they are the two I use the most of my metal tools

You can use a silicone shaper too if you have one, they are really good.

For lubricating my tools use oil or I just rub them on my face because you don't need much at all.

gallery_106203_14654_26121.jpg

1. I mixed an equal amount of yellow and blue by just smushing and rolling it between my thumb and finger.

it doesn't very long, probably less than a minute.

gallery_106203_14654_21387.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_3798.jpg

2. once its a uniform colour, I break of a little piece, mould it into a cone and then push it into place on the armour.

gallery_106203_14654_27164.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_4125.jpg

3. I use the tool with the flat tip to press the edges of the cone onto the surrounding plastic

This helps adhere the Green Stuff to the plastic with its larger surface area.

gallery_106203_14654_11270.jpg

4. Next I just lick my fingers and very gently pulled at the surface of the cone to get the desired Claw shape.

if you pulled too much, just push it back down and try to tease it back again by pulling on the surface, careful not to remove it accidentally.

gallery_106203_14654_28859.jpg

5. Next I used the pointed too to drag some shallow grooves into the claw.

Just be sure not to press too hard, you can always do another pass on the same groove.

gallery_106203_14654_27709.jpg

6. Finally, I very carefully used the too with the flat tip to get the curve and angle I wanted.

Then this stage is complete.

gallery_106203_14654_3495.jpg

LET THE GREEN STUFF CURE!

I can't stress this bit enough. Green Stuff dries like plastic so if you don't like how something looks you can cut it away. Its always a good idea to plan what you want to do and do it in passes, allowing the green stuff to cure in between. It is very tempting to do too much, maybe you're very eager or have some green stuff left over... but it's pretty harrowing if you have so far done a job your really happy with, only to accidentally press one of your thumbs into a bit of work that is still soft, or slip with a tool or something. I do the same with eyes as I have done here, but I just roll Green Stuff balls out of spare Green Stuff, cut them in half once cured and glue them on. sculpting eyelids around the eyes then means you wont damage the eyeball, just like sculpting the trim around these claws once they have cured.

LET THE GREEN STUFF CURE!

7. Next pass starts with mixing up more stuff and then I press a small triangle of it pointing away from the claw.

gallery_106203_14654_35143.jpg

8. Next, just like last time I start pressing the sides down to meet the plastic, and shape it around the claw.

gallery_106203_14654_22282.jpg

9. Next step i refined the shape using the flat tipped tool, trying to get a small step to match where the Trim meets the armour plate and a ridge down the middle.

(You can see some lines it it already because I forgot to take a photo so I had to do this bit twice)

gallery_106203_14654_32298.jpg

10. Lastly to complete the claw, I added some detail to this part of the claw. pushing the tip of the flat ended tool into the Green Stuff.

Then either gently dragging grooves out with the same tool or the pointed one. I also used the pointed too to get a sharper line where the trim meets the armour.

Then you're done!

gallery_106203_14654_30966.jpg

If that tutorial is of use to only one person, that's good enough for me. if you have any questions I can help with, feel free to ask. if you want some more advanced Green Stuff advice then check out Brother Chaplain Kage's Thread of Stuff.

Oh god, tell me about it... I really need to tidy up my first post so its a bit more useful, I dont really know what Im doing so I keep trying to do what I think is the best way of organising it and then it turns out to be a rubbish idea that I need to undo. Maybe I'll do some organising later tonight. Thanks for the suggestion!

Holy crap, that's an excellent tutorial! Thanks for sharing - it's what I've been doing, just with more structure in the process - and the way you make grooves in the horn/claw itself is new to me. So.... 

tenor.gif

...*joink*  stolen! :wink:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Yeah it seems like that space is just perfect for suspending some trophy other:) 

The chains look great, I can't see the wire at all! Does it seem sturdy enough? I'm stealing the crap out of that technique!

edit: i left the window open before posting and missed the great tutorial, thanks a bunch for that! I need to try that too, soooo many ideas here:)

Edited by ElDuderino

Woah, thanks guys! I... did not expect that tutorial to be so well received :happy.:

I'm glad at least some of you think that you might find it useful. I hadn't done one before and it did feel a bit weird being like "Hey everyone, listen up, I'm going to TEACH you something". I felt more comfortable once I started to say... "This is what I did, maybe you can use it somehow". If anyone likes anything else I've done or do in the future and would like to know more in depth how I did it so that you might try to use that information somehow, I'm happy to help however I can by answering questions or trying to write another tutorial if its requested.

Also... I have since noticed that there is actually a Tutorial thread, so should I move this over there and just provide a link?

I've spent the last couple of sessions concentrating on the base and its starting to really bring the thing to life I think. I know how if you have a bit that is just too plain it really brings you away from the model and doesn't like a real circumstance or character? ...wait every time I read that sentence it sounds weirder... anyway, I've been basing the Knight, I feel like I'm not THAT far away from painting it now, I was hoping to start before December so I think I'm on track.

gallery_106203_14654_15379.jpggallery_106203_14654_32042.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_51534.jpggallery_106203_14654_60307.jpg

gallery_106203_14654_27146.jpggallery_106203_14654_30446.jpg

Sorry, i know thats a lot of images, but when I took a couple I still couldn't really tell what was going on, so I thought Id do a bit of a turn around. In there you can see the 80mm resin base that I chopped into 3 pieces, to give this continuity with his other resin bases. He also gave me some loos bricks which I made the most of to try and help convey the momentum of the Knight, in addition to the dirt kicking up from the impact, which is just my normal basing material onto a wire form mesh covered in PVA. What do you guys think?

Something else I'd like to discuss... is the name! I keep calling it "My friends Khornate Knight", which is neither catchy, nor unique. So, I have a name for the Engine, but not the pilot, I also looked up some Houses and I think I have one of them...

House: Aerthegn

Knight: Mors Machina

Piliot: ???

If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!

@Augustus b'Raass

Steal away buddy, its the least I should do. :wink:

@Elduderino

Ill have a look and see whats knocking about, maybe I could put something in there. I'm glad you like how the chains look! I dont know how sturdy you want it to be, I mean there's a bit of give but I think its reasonably sturdy... I was able to hang one of the knights arms off it though without it breaking, it maybe bent about 5-10 mm and sprung back when I took it off.

gallery_106203_14654_144269.jpg

Let me know if I can help you with anything else buddy. :happy.:

@DuskRaider

Really glad you like it, I've been following it for a while and I've really valued your input! Dont worry if you mess it up, how many poeple would pass their driving test first time? my last claws look better than my first ones for sure!

@Sgt. Blank

My pleasure!

@Thousand Eyes

That's cool you found this, like I said, I dont have LOADS of stuff up so far, but I have put a lot of time into the bits in this thread. hopefully that will be a theme throughout my work, I have a few other plans. I WILL put the tutorial up on the blog but not yet, because this is a present for my friend and he follows the blog but doesnt come on bolter and has me muted on Twitter... so I have to wait before I can put anything about this Knight up on the blog. Its going to be quite a job condensing this project down to a blog post, this is easily the most photos I have taken for a single project before.

@Mechanist

No problem man, I hope its of some help to you. A lot of other people seem to think its going to be useful, so good idea!

Sweet, thanks man, I'll send a PM when I run into a problem:) And I've zoomed into every single pic trying to find the wire without success so the method seems pretty damn good!

About the tutorial, just copy it to the tutorial section and leave it here too, editing old post causes problem in the spacetime continuum for future readers. Wibbly wobbly:)

The base is coming along really well -- in fact, the entire model is quite the standout project. Excellent job!

Regarding the question of the pilot, I agree with Thousand Eyes that this seems to be a matter of what kind of story you want to tell with the pilot: Is he (still) an actual person, or rather more of an organic battery, so to speak, for the ancient Knight? Both ideas could be equally interesting: A pilot whose violent urges and lust for bloodshed have infected the Knight itself, twisting and reshaping its very form in sympathy with its pilot's deranged vision. Or an ancient, corrupted quasi-Daemon Engine that merely requires human vessels to be linked to its ancient mechanisms to provide a brief element of nourishment before quickly burning out and having to be replaced by the next sacrifice (in fact, there could even be an entire clan of tech-barbarians behind this all, considering their Knight as some kind of walking god, considering it an honour to serve as its nourishment).

Anyway, I'm rambling ;)

@Mechanist, Krautscientist

Yeah I really like the ideas. Now the bottom line is it's my friends Knight so he may have a preferred backstory for them... But I can look at it in terms of what my own concets and motivations were when building.

So... I know a little bit about the knights, and how after the pilots interface with the knights, although they control the Knight, the knights machine spirit also alters the personality of the Pilot right? I think for this pair my thinking was that this Knight was aquired from the aerthegn house and a Khornate champion interfaced with it. Maybe his psychotic furvour and bloodlust pleases Khorne and the Machine spirit is currupted by daemonic influence, leading to it's current physical state. This presense would then influence the pilot, further driving him into a murderous frenzy. So like asome sort of neural feedback loop of violence.

I do like the idea of them being an inseparable entity, although that was never the plan. Would separating the link kill them... You you separate them while they are separate beings, dobthey share the same mind as the difference between both are blurred beyond distinction. Maybe I should let him decide. What do you guys think, what do you think is the coolest way to imagine the dynamic between the pilot and Knight?

Glad you like the base Kraut, I really wanted to hammer home the momentum of this monster thundering towards the Enemy.

@Elduderino

When I'm not on my phone I'll sort out the Tutorial. And If you think I can help with anything man, you know where I am, no worries.