Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

I am in the process of building a solar auxilia/tempestus scion force, but i don't think it could count towards this since i've already started it.

The only xenos that speak to me are orks, and i've already collected an army of them a couple of years ago.

I've also got some mechanicus in the works, so i don't think i could count them towards this either.

Mainly, if i manage to contribute towards this my goal would be to actually put together a fotce to actually play games with, since i haven't played since 5th? I think? Finished last three tournaments in a row...

EDIT: Chaos Cult using genestealer cult rules? Never tried that before...

Well, how far in to the proces are you with the solar/scion force? Are you still learning about how the army works? 

If you are not to far along then I can not see why you could not do that. You would not be able to use any finished models/units towards vows but thats about it. 

Reason i listed so many different marines is i haven't collected any "true" codex chapter, only dabbled a bit with blood angels 10 years ago.

Welp, Tempestus Scions/Solar Auxilia it is!

Won't be able to get any more models for 'em until the end of september, but i've got some stuff to get me started.

Too late to join?

If not, I am starting a new army alongside my brother, he is planning to do Admech while I plan to jump into the wonderful world of Primaris;

Learning Vow:

I, Oldest, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Primaris (Sons of the Phoenix chapter) by the end of the year by working on a Kill Team & Patrol Detachment Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate £25 to the B&C.  

Personal self imposed Limitation: Heavily converted with Primaris representing all models regardless of datasheet

My long term Goal is to collect and paint a Primaris "Son's of the Phoenix" army along with dedicated Kill Team 

-Why I chose the Son's of the Phoenix? Obviously they're perfect, the rumours and hints of them being a loyalist Chapter from Emperor's Children stock is too good to pass up.

~I am waiting on funds, either payday or when some of my model sales finally ding into my Paypal.

Lord Commander Eidolon, sounds like you have the right kind of project for this event, so go right ahead. As for using 30k style vehicles, seems perfectly legit as Chaos Marine would have continued what they had. Also with the Rubric, why not extend it to the crew of the vehicles, so that the entire vehicle became like the armour for normal Rubric Marines, hence why they are more pristine and still working compared to other chaos forces. Whatever works for you.

I don’t know this but I have heard that the Rubric marines are slightly taller than normal marine (similar to how Deathwatch are slightly taller). Now it could just be a more upright pose and their helmets that give them that look.

Thousand Sons are an army I always liked but have not yet gotten to collect so I would be very interested to see where the journey takes you.

Thanks! I've been toying with the idea since inferno dropped but as mentioned 'mini marines' and the rise of Primaris killed my love of marines a little, especially as my MK4s look tiny! I've extended my Heresy era EC with spacers but it's so much effort....

I knocked this test mini out recently - not quite finished yet, I'm not entirely taken on the red. It's Alclad clear red. Thought it'd be easier than thinning tamiya given the demise of Angron red... my shading seems to have dulled down the nice candy look. Perhaps varnish will improve it.

http://i65.tinypic.com/21n1j68.jpg

What do you guys think --- he's significantly taller than a regular marine. My only drama is the relative 'same-ness' of the Thousand Son kit compared to the Death Guard. I'm not sure how I'll be able to make 2 squads look that interesting!! Maybe clean up a few DG mk3s, hmmm.....

I'm pretty sure I can do a basic patrol detachment, which is the same as a crusade era force. I might just need to be a bit creative with troop choices once I'm on to the latter stages of battalion detachments - however if can use Heresy Era troops, I'll be able to build an assault squad which I'm keen to do!!

I'm thinking 2 units of rubrics/being a veteran tactical squad and support squad and a sorcerer who will be a named character from the Black Library models. The Magnus and some Terminators! Should be a nice little army!!

Welcome Oldest, there is still time, plenty of it. So welcome aboard.

Updated to this point- I think, please do check that your name is in the list of participants.

Thanks! I've been toying with the idea since inferno dropped but as mentioned 'mini marines' and the rise of Primaris killed my love of marines a little, especially as my MK4s look tiny! I've extended my Heresy era EC with spacers but it's so much effort....

I knocked this test mini out recently - not quite finished yet, I'm not entirely taken on the red. It's Alclad clear red. Thought it'd be easier than thinning tamiya given the demise of Angron red... my shading seems to have dulled down the nice candy look. Perhaps varnish will improve it.

What do you guys think --- he's significantly taller than a regular marine. My only drama is the relative 'same-ness' of the Thousand Son kit compared to the Death Guard. I'm not sure how I'll be able to make 2 squads look that interesting!! Maybe clean up a few DG mk3s, hmmm.....

I'm pretty sure I can do a basic patrol detachment, which is the same as a crusade era force. I might just need to be a bit creative with troop choices once I'm on to the latter stages of battalion detachments - however if can use Heresy Era troops, I'll be able to build an assault squad which I'm keen to do!!

I'm thinking 2 units of rubrics/being a veteran tactical squad and support squad and a sorcerer who will be a named character from the Black Library models. The Magnus and some Terminators! Should be a nice little army!!

Might be my end but I do not see the test model.

I know this is not supported by the fluff but what about having the armour undergoing a partial Rubric effect. With the nature of time and the Warp I would see it as plausible if the Rubric Spell propagated back in time for some individuals, but as it was before the full fall to Tzeentch it is overtaking them slowly, with the Maries fully aware that something is befalling them.

Then you could mix red and blue armour, less chaosy and more chaosy parts and so on.

Hello  !

MrBadweed, nice Farseer. I can’t quite tell from the picture but I assume you filled in the sunken part of the helmet rather than shaving of the raised part.

If it helps for future, when I converted my spirit seers I used the blank helmets from the Hemlock kit. Also that Start Collecting kit is such good value!

Thanks ! I did both. I removed the ridges ornaments by scraping away with a hobby knife ( new blade helps but beware cuts). Then filled in the sunken parts. I'l be doing this on all helms to unify my force. Same with the eyes on barheaded dudes, i'l be filling those in or use Namarti heads. Spooky.

That was fast! And it looks terrific! :thumbsup:

Goodness, I'm loving those Eldar models. The Farseer looks better without the second magic thingy. The contrast between the two Wraithlords is great, the one trying to eat cadaver flesh is particularly creepy. Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Dosjetka ! Looking forward to your zealous zealmongering zealots. :teehee:

Looking great, I will have to do some side research into Eldar. I plan to assemble some stuff for picts tomorrow for my vow.

Join the Eldar race Brother, let the Mon-Keigh squabble in the ruins of our demise.

GAAAH!

This is such a good idea, and i want to join in, but i can't decide what army to build!

Minotaurs? Awesome paint scheme, i love their background and i would base 'em upon the deathwatch models(mk.8, y'know)

My vote's on them. mixing MK8, Mk3 and the resin shoulderpads with an aged bronze finish :wub: .

MrBadweed, Those Wraiths are looking good. Slightly worried about the second one as Wraith Constructs don’t eat. What derangement does the spirit that is animating it suffer?

What paint scheme do you have in mind for these?

Thanks ! The idea is to have him be subject to the Flayer's curse

" Flayed Ones are victims of a terrible madness, a curse bestowed upon them by the C'tan known as Llandu'gor the Flayer. When the Necrons finally turned against the C'tan in the last days of the War in Heaven, the Flayer was destroyed by the Necrons; not simply splintered as were his brothers, but utterly obliterated. In his dying moments, the Star God inflicted a terrible curse upon the Necrons, tainting them with an echo of the fathomless hunger of its essence.

For aeons the Flayer's curse went unnoticed and unseen. By the time the true madness of the condition began to manifest, the afflicted Necrons had travelled far and wide, unwittingly spreading the disease to a thousand worlds. A Necron of whom the Flayer Curse has taken hold undergoes a slow and tortuous erosion of its sanity. Despite being a soulless machine, it begins to revel in the bloody ruin of fleshy foes, driven to take trophies of skin, sinew and bone. As the Flayer madness intensifies, its victim is compelled by the uncontrollable desire to consume the flesh of its enemies. As a robotic construct, it cannot digest flesh in any sense, but is still driven to gorge itself in a doomed attempt to sate an unquenchable lust. Physical changes occur shortly thereafter: their metallic forms become stooped, their fingers extend to long, razor-sharp flensing talons. The Necron's living metal shape warps into what is recognisable as the corrupt and grotesque form of a Flayed One. Ultimately, this accursed Necron disappears, drawn by an unknown instinct into a pocket dimension of their own, to dwell forever amidst the charnel palaces of the Flayed Ones. Source 40k wiki "

Now as to How/when/who brought the curse upon it, im still figuring it out :happy.:

This is so cool if only for the collaboration and community spirit we are building.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

On another note, should we keep posting updates/etc in this Thread ? or start up a Thread with a [ Facing the Unknown Tag ] and update there with significant advances being updated here ?

http://i65.tinypic.com/21n1j68.jpg

Great start !

i remember seeing great recipes for a bright candy red here : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/318086-the-red-sorcerers-of-prospero-exiles-of-osiris/ and here  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317970-flints-tiny-tutes-4-the-blood-of-loyalist-lapdogs/

The second link showcases Minitaire Ghost Ink which might be a good alternative to Angron Red or tamiya clear red.

Edit : my bad for the double post :sad.:

Might be my end but I do not see the test model.

I know this is not supported by the fluff but what about having the armour undergoing a partial Rubric effect. With the nature of time and the Warp I would see it as plausible if the Rubric Spell propagated back in time for some individuals, but as it was before the full fall to Tzeentch it is overtaking them slowly, with the Maries fully aware that something is befalling them.

Then you could mix red and blue armour, less chaosy and more chaosy parts and so on.

I've sorted the link out, so the pic should be showing now.

I think the best way to proceed is to use the rubrics as tac/ vet tac squads in 30k and as general rubrics in 40k. I might then use the warp flamers/cannon things as flamers and auto canons allowing me to double them as support/heavy support squads in 30k. They can just be special weapons dudes in 40k or potentially allied havocs if I want to do that. That should cover the 'troop' choices I'll need to do.

Once that is out of the way I can concentrate on elites and fun stuff - which will be Sekhmet termies and of course Daemon Magnus. Contemptors and vehicles should help bulk up the army. Then I can do my Assault Squad/`Raptors that match the artwork in the Sabretooth Card game! A small army, but and army none the less!

Great start !

i remember seeing great recipes for a bright candy red here : http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/318086-the-red-sorcerers-of-prospero-exiles-of-osiris/ and here  http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317970-flints-tiny-tutes-4-the-blood-of-loyalist-lapdogs/

The second link showcases Minitaire Ghost Ink which might be a good alternative to Angron Red or tamiya clear red.

Edit : my bad for the double post :sad.:

Thanks! I really would like to emulate Athrawes army - with my own unique twist, they are pretty special! Looking at the guides perhaps me using a gold base is where its going wrong. I'll use a couple of old models to test out a few colour choices with silver base, to see if that makes a difference!

If this goes well, we should have a vow in the offing.....

I'd love to do this, but I'm in a buying freeze until January, also with my large collection I'm not sure what I can do. 

I have the small makings of an ad mech force and haven't started nor played, but I've played just about every army out there. Other options might be Iyendan (I've done eldar but it's been Saim hann) or Necrons, but the xenos are down due to the purchase freeze.

Good luck to those participating and I'm going to see what I can do as it will be a nice side project since I finished my knights (for now). 

Trokair, what an awesome idea! I’m totally onboard, and perfect timing for me too

Learning Vow:

I, Greenz, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Death Guard by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will donate $40CA to the B&C.

My long term goal is to have a playable 2000pt army by year end. Knowing my track record, that’s pushing it, but then again that’s what events like this are about!

This army has been bouncing around in my head for a while, and I’m excited to finally get cracking on it. The Blighted Devourers are a DG warband created by Mortarion experimenting with Blood Angels geneseed. I’m going for a vampiric, fear inspiring Nurgle army here, with lots of conversions. This will be the first half of my long term plan, and will focus on the bloated DG aspect of the army. The second half will be next year, and that’ll be based off Night Lords. It will be more the outcasts of the army, and will feature more gaunt and ramshackle marines

Pics will get edited in shortly

On another note...

@Grieux: those wolves of yours are just insane! I’ve always loved the fluff behind SW, but found the official paint scheme and a lot of the models lacking. Yours really fit the image in my head. Awesome work!

@MrBadWeed: that is a very disturbing take on that Wraithlord! I’m dying to see what you come up with next!

Amendments to the rules 9th August

I am making the following amendment to the rules. This is as the logical extension of the spirit of the event and I really should have included the option from the start.

So, just to explain, as an army not work out for a participant they should not fail because of it as they tried to learn about the new army. This is why you cannot fail the event if you only completed a Learning Vow and did no more or did not even get that far.

The logical extension is that a participant should then be allowed to try again with a different new army. I did not think of this inittialy as I did not think anybody would get that far.

However, just in case the situation arises, and within the spirit of the event I have added the following to the rules:

An army not for you

If after completing your Learning Vow you find that the army does not work for you, then you may make a new Learning Vow for a new army. However, to do so you should, to the best of your ability, share what you have learned about the first army and explain why it did not work out for you.

I would ask that if you want to evoke this rule a second time (so you have already restarted once and want to restart a second time) that you have a long think about why multiple armies are not working out for you. We are all here to help each other.

EDIT: Had time to see what has been posted while I was at work.

Thanks ! The idea is to have him be subject to the Flayer's curse

...snip... 

Now as to How/when/who brought the curse upon it, im still figuring it out :happy.:

Things to run away from very very fast!

Flayer virus infected Wraithlord!

On another note, should we keep posting updates/etc in this Thread ? or start up a Thread with a [ Facing the Unknown Tag ] and update there with significant advances being updated here ?

All vows and completion of vows should be made in this thread.

I think we should stick to this thread in general. I would not want to clutter up/flood the rest of the forum.

That said you are free to have your own project thread if you so wish.

I'd love to do this, but I'm in a buying freeze until January, also with my large collection I'm not sure what I can do. 

I have the small makings of an ad mech force and haven't started nor played, but I've played just about every army out there. Other options might be Iyendan (I've done eldar but it's been Saim hann) or Necrons, but the xenos are down due to the purchase freeze.

Good luck to those participating and I'm going to see what I can do as it will be a nice side project since I finished my knights (for now).

Feel free to join in whenever you are ready.

Welcome Greenz

Did you ever read the Dornian Heresy? It was an alternate history project that several members here on the B&C created some years ago. In their alternate timeline they had the Blood Angles fall to Nurgle. If you have not I suggest you go and have a look, it might give you some inspiration.

Thanks for the tip Trokair. I have read up a few bits here and there about the Dornian Heresy, but not much. I did stumble across the BA backstory a little while back when looking for colour scheme ideas, and had a good chuckle about it. I’d always assumed BA would be portrayed as Khorne or Slaanesh followers. I found it funny someone else wanted to put a Nurgle spin on them

The Dornian BA definitely inspired the second half of this army. They’ll be the ones who have succumbed to the Nurgle version of the Red Thirst, and so are viewed as mongrels to the rest of the warband

Managed to make a little progress tonight, I converted one of the Dark Imperium Lieutenants into a Primaris Captain with Plasma Pistol and Powerfist. The photo from the front did not come out to well as it is out of focus, sorry.

gallery_29932_13153_60112.jpg

The head and backpack are from the normal Primaris captain, got them form a bits box. The Pistol arm is from the Hellblaster kit while the powerfist is from the Scion kit. The powerfist is a bit smaller than the typical Marine powerfist but I thought it would fit well.

So I technically now have enough models for a Patrol Detachment I am going to build some more units before I think about painting anything. In part as I still need to work out a colour scheme.

After having failed in my ETL vow by about 12 hours, haha, I need to make it up to myself!

I've been slowly gathering the minis needed to build out a 2500 point Emperor's Children army and this looks like the perfect opportunity to finish it.  I've always been an Inquisition girl, but everyone gets tempted sometime, right? ;)

Learning Vow:

I, TheBlackPumpkin, Vow to face the unknown and will learn about the Emperor's Children by the end of the year by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will build and paint a patrol detachment of World Eaters.  As a true believer of Slaanesh, I find Khorne to be simple, undesirable, and unfit for my hobby time.

Personal self imposed Limitation:  I'm trying to keep this army fairly fluffy, with only those choices I feel fit right.  Also, anything I just don't like the model of is right out, no matter how good it might be (Slaanesh Obliterators...).  So the goal is be less full-on competitive and more a nice collection of miniatures.

My long term Goal is to collect and paint a 2500 point Emperor's Children army, using Lucius the Eternal as the warlord, and adding other elements as I see fit.  Probably lots of cultists and Noise Marines, as those are great fluff choices.

Starting picture to follow.

The Blighted Devourers are a DG warband created by Mortarion experimenting with Blood Angels geneseed. I’m going for a vampiric, fear inspiring Nurgle army here, with lots of conversions. This will be the first half of my long term plan, and will focus on the bloated DG aspect of the army. The second half will be next year, and that’ll be based off Night Lords. It will be more the outcasts of the army, and will feature more gaunt and ramshackle marines

I hope you understand I will be stealing those ideas with the Nurgle Blood Angels, just be aware of that :lol:

I've been thinking of doing things to add more horror to my Death Guard, and the Nurgle Renegades that'll work with them. Tainted Space Nosferatu? Yes please :lol:

Question: Will you be going with a red colour scheme? Because I get the feeling the current Death Guard Range would look AMAZING in a dirty, corrupted red.

+ Update +

Right, I've settled on what to paint for my Black Templars:

• Emperor's Champion (HQ, kitbashed);
  • Crusader Squad (Troops, 5 Initiates and 1 Neophyte, kitbashed).

Pictures to follow. :tu:

gallery_29932_13153_60112.jpg

The head and backpack are from the normal Primaris captain, got them form a bits box. The Pistol arm is from the Hellblaster kit while the powerfist is from the Scion kit. The powerfist is a bit smaller than the typical Marine powerfist but I thought it would fit well.

I really like the smaller, more utilitarian/specialized fist, very Deathwatchy. But i think that, as it is now, the right arm is too long, and it unbalances the model. I would advocate for removing half the fore-arm and glue the fist a little higher up.

Amputating just before the vambrace with all the little buttons and gluing the fist there seems like a good bet.

+ Update +

Right, I've settled on what to paint for my Black Templars:

• Emperor's Champion (HQ, kitbashed);
  • Crusader Squad (Troops, 5 Initiates and 1 Neophyte, kitbashed).

Pictures to follow. :thumbsup:

When in answer to that I shall vow:

1 Farseer (slightly kitsashed HQ)

5 Dire Avengers

10 Guardians with Heavy Weapon

Pics also to follow...

The Blighted Devourers are a DG warband created by Mortarion experimenting with Blood Angels geneseed. I’m going for a vampiric, fear inspiring Nurgle army here, with lots of conversions. This will be the first half of my long term plan, and will focus on the bloated DG aspect of the army. The second half will be next year, and that’ll be based off Night Lords. It will be more the outcasts of the army, and will feature more gaunt and ramshackle marines

I hope you understand I will be stealing those ideas with the Nurgle Blood Angels, just be aware of that :lol:

I've been thinking of doing things to add more horror to my Death Guard, and the Nurgle Renegades that'll work with them. Tainted Space Nosferatu? Yes please :lol:

Question: Will you be going with a red colour scheme? Because I get the feeling the current Death Guard Range would look AMAZING in a dirty, corrupted red.

Hahaha steal away brother! That’s what I love about this community, all the sharing/ stealing. It’s a wonderful thing :D

I haven’t fully decided on a colour scheme yet, but it definitely will be predominantly red, with brass accents. Flesh will be grey, organs and such black/ purple. For the armour, I’m debating between red base, working up to a flesh colour around the damage, pustules, etc. Or the reverse, a flesh coloured base built up to an angry red, like an infection.

I, Skidman, vow to face the unknown and will learn about the heresy era iron warriors by the end of the year working on a vanguard detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honor to my fellow participants and I will donate $25 to B&C. Long term goal is to paint up what in my mind is the 15 grand company of the iron warriors who still use the corpse grinders as their unofficial nickname. I have never actually played a game of 40k I usually just collect models so this is all new to me.

For my learning vow I will build and paint

1 siege breaker

3 x 10 marines and their rhino

3 x quad mortars

Archived