Show Your Finished Kill Team Terrain

Dr_Ruminahui

Painted some more kill team terrain - this is half the stuff in the mechanicus killzone box (so, everything but the plasma conduits).

sW3jkyh.jpg

zKfUWxy.jpg

And some detail shots:

Dtxy3EY.jpg

f7oAGsD.jpg

Lzujnub.jpg

And here are some with some necromunda gangers:

HzgE5FO.jpg

U0RsedT.jpg

Cool thread.

Here’s a link to some RYZA ruins I made for Kill Team:

https://toadchapel.com/2018/12/29/crazy-bout-corrosion/

If you’re interested you can find a few WIP posts on the site, too.

Here is a link to a desert-themed board I built:

https://toadchapel.com/2019/03/09/secret-fronteris-kill-zone/

I built it on 3/4” MDF, which is perfect for such small projects, as it’s super sturdy but not heavy. There is laboratory flooring embedded in the board to suggest some disaster has overtaken an imperial research outpost, and a bunch of cultists & barrels to imply that the area has seen recent conflict.

I’m slowly building another board now but keep vacillating on the theme. I’ll probably do more of a Northern European grassy setting with stone ruins. I’m also planning to add topographical variation, which I omitted from the Sector Fronteris board for the sake of modular terrain flexibility.

Hope your terrain projects are going well!

• 2 weeks later...

I am personally in the process of sourcing, building, painting everything i need for up to a double arena sized killzone. And it has me thinking it would be great to see everybody's killzones, especially if youve made something unique or are particularly proud of it.

Or even if its just a bunch of terrain and the arrangment happened to be astheticaly pleasing and made for a good game. Or if you think a demonstration of a good set up is in order after witnessing some poor games due to to little or too much terrain, or a bad layout.

I wish i was better prepared to contribute to this visually, but perhaps ill pull off a miracle sunday!

This thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/350264-show-your-finished-kill-team-terrain/ may have some of what you are looking for.  But yeah, not a bad idea for people to show their terrain as it is actually used in games.

Also the kill team battle report thread - I added a few reports over there, all with lots of battlefield images. As a rule, the most interesting games have been the ones with lots of terrain (more than comes in the box), particularly because walls block movement as well as line-of-sight (unlike in 40k). So the big los-blocking facory in the middle of the board limits shooting, but also limits charges. Everyone has to work out ways around it.

Yeah, you should check out Rogue's battle reports - both the pictures and the reporting are top notch.  They are in this thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/349390-kill-team-%E2%80%A2-battle-reports/

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Your munitorium set looks really good - simple but very effective paint jobs.  Myself, I would have gone batty highlighting all those crates and barrels.

Thanks! The crates and barrels weren't that bad tbh. All these were drybrushed using GW's scenery and large dry brushes. Using brushes that big made painting terrain a breeze. :) I got my techniques from March issue of White Dwarf, which I highly recommend that for all its terrain painting tips.

Wait, that's all "just" drybrushed terrain? That looks pretty great to outstanding. Did you basecoat with rattlecan or airbrush?

How long did it take you to finishe the entire set?

I primed with GW rattlecans. For example, the crane is Jokaero Orange drybrushed over Chaos Black primer and then a lighter drybrush of Screaming Skull. Well, everything was given drybrush of Screaming Skull to tie them together and to have that dusty look. For rust I used Mournfang Brown mixed with Lahmian Medium. 

It's pretty difficult to say how much time for the entire set as I had longer breaks between sessions, but it was pretty fast. :) All the crates were done during a day, for example. Using GW scenery brush made all the difference. There's no going back to drybrushing with tiny brushes. :D

I managed to get a Sector Fronteris (At MSRP too, not for like $300 as they are on EBay now) - Any suggestions on how to paint it (And the unused Ryza ruins I've got laying around)? I'm thinking of painting it all green, and throwing on white numbers to denote that they're military buildings.

I think they look good in any single, muted colour.  The GW ones in Khorne red look good, mine are in Kantor blue and are pretty nice (I would show you pics but I don't have any and they are at my friend's place as that is where I game) and I image any subdued green (so, not warpstone glow or moot green) would look good as well.  Please post pics when you finish them.

I managed to get a Sector Fronteris (At MSRP too, not for like $300 as they are on EBay now) - Any suggestions on how to paint it (And the unused Ryza ruins I've got laying around)? I'm thinking of painting it all green, and throwing on white numbers to denote that they're military buildings.

I think Death Guard or Castellan Green would work for military colors. In the pictures I posted earlier, the green cargo containers are painted Death Guard Green. I agree with Dr_Ruminahui that any muted color should be fine, even something like sandstone, if you like the buildings to blend in with the board.

I'm thinking Castellan Green, as they'd also match my Raptors and Tempestus units too. I'll use weathering powders to add sand/dust effects around the bottom to blend it with the board as well I think.

I'll do one of the small walls first to see how it goes, and I'll post it.

Edited by Droz_64

Awesome terrain there I especially like the green statue.

How much of a pain was it taking out the wall at the back of the alcove with the door for the dice tower?

A few minutes with a dremel.  Wasn't too bad

I hope your models know not to try to take cover on that grating behind the low wall - it's a trap. :)

• 1 year later...

Finished my set of power conduits that came with the Mechanicum terrain bundle.

T4xuzBJ.jpg

Here is a closeup on one of the pipes:

LPLhdlo.jpg

Particularly happy about the recharge stations and power cores - I did 2 as being fully charged (and glowy) and 2 that were uncharged, in case I ever wanted to play a scenario where the objective was to charge some power cores.

Z40t4fv.jpg