Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

YoungWolf7's Meanderings

Star Phantoms Khorne Chaos Orks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

YoungWolf7

YoungWolf7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
  • Faction: Star Phantoms

It's been a long time away, but I have been lurking for years. I semi-officially "retired" from the hobby back in 2015, deciding to put my free time into video games as they were simpler and I could stay in touch with friends scattered across the US. The bug never left though, even through the myriad of sell-offs I undertook. I couldn't part with the massive SM collection I had amassed or my beloved Orks. I did part with my entire CSM Bits collection (a whopping 10 pounds worth) which I still regret. Ah well, the new CSM sculpts are light years better than the previous ones.

I've been reacquainting myself with my hobby tools, paints, brushes etc. Tossing out old paints that are no good, etc. My kids bought me an airbrush package a couple of Christmases ago, so I've broken that out and started that (steep) learning curve as well.

As an exercise, I pulled out a 3 man set of Primaris Intercessors and spent a couple of weeks with them. The first one I painted to "completion", not worrying about clean blends and niggling details, just the joy of painting again. It's always been my zen place. The place where I have lost thousands of hours over the last three decades. Also the first steps towards cementing a scheme for my massive army that I've never painted. The airbrush gives me hope. smile.png

Star-Phantom-Test1-1.jpgStar-Phantom-Test1-2.jpg

Pics are all from my iPhone. My light booth and camera setup are all still stuffed away, so it might be some time before I can get better images. This is all brush work, using P3 paints exclusively as I know exactly what they can and cannot do. It felt good to not only paint a model for the first time in 4 years, but actually allow myself to call it good enough. No worries about smooth blends and clean lines, just exploring the sculpt with the brush. I'm my own worst critic (as are many hobbyists) and I'm trying to put that aside in favor of enjoyment. Painting & converting at the professional levels sucked all of the joy away from the hobby which led in large part to my retirement.

With the first model wrapped up I mulled it over for a few days and went on to the second. I went for a lighter gray base color, wanting more of a "cool" white. A bit neater this time, playing more with the hard edges and recesses. The first one used green on the lenses, so I went with blue on this one to see the difference.

Star-Phantom-Test2-1.jpgStar-Phantom-Test2-2.jpg

I didn't bother finishing the base as these are not the bases the army will be standing on. A bit closer now, much smoother. Muscle memory starting to come back to me.

The third I focused entirely on the white, ignoring pretty much everything else. I'm not going to have any bare heads in the army, so no point in working on the head. Still working out whether or not to add a dark red to the helmets for sergeants. I've added a skull to the backpack of the sergeant to indicate rank and to make them easier to ID on sight. (Not that I play or anything.)

Star-Phantom-Test3-1.jpgStar-Phantom-Test3-2.jpg

The lighting in the pic almost makes it look unpainted, but the white is indeed painted and the smoothest white I've done in years. Trouble is, it was with the brush and if I want to finish the army some time in the next decade I will need to focus on the airbrush for the majority of the work. Fortunately power armor lends itself very well to that. smile.png

Edited by YoungWolf7, 27 September 2019 - 10:32 PM.

• Lexington, Grotsmasha, marcusc and 1 other like this

If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done.

YoungWolf7

YoungWolf7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

And now the Call of Chaos has me looking to my Khorne warband: the Blood Reavers. I've been playing around with a technique that I've used many moons ago. It involves painting a thin layer or two of Tamiya Clear Red over a metallic base. It's amazing when pulled off correctly. I didn't really pull that off with these test models. I was more concerned with which metallic to go with as I'm after a super deep red.

Blood-Reaver-Paint-Test1-1.jpg

The winner so far for me is number 3. Sadly though, it would be a tough technique to pull off well for an entire army. Into the stripping tub they go.

I did play around with crackle medium last night with a flat red over a metallic base. That wasn't even worth taking a picture of as it didn't work right at all...

• Sgt. Blank and Lexington like this

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,329 posts
  • Faction: The Aurora Chapter
Always glad to see you ‘round the old watering hole, YW7. :)

Loving the Marines. I’ve seen people doing similar tricks with the new Contrast paints over a metallic base, so you may want to give that a shot before giving up the idea entirely.
gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

YoungWolf7

YoungWolf7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

Always glad to see you ‘round the old watering hole, YW7. smile.png

Loving the Marines. I’ve seen people doing similar tricks with the new Contrast paints over a metallic base, so you may want to give that a shot before giving up the idea entirely.

Thanks Lex.

I've tried a few glazes of red ink, but it's just not the same. The Tamiya Clear series is like painting with alcohol based cough syrup. It make easy gems, lenses, etc. It was designed to replicate tail lights on scale model cars. Just paint it over a chrome part and it's magic. Granted my bottles are all over 10 years old, but they still work great. I'm letting the theme process in the background while I focus on the Star Phantoms + airbrush today. So far the results are great.

• Lexington likes this

marcusc

marcusc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 180 posts

I'm a fan of your take on star phantoms, the first has a lot to offer.  You will hear an audible chime when you get some black decals on those shoulder pads :)

gallery_45765_12908_1745.pnggallery_45765_12339_1383.pnggallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_1196.png

YoungWolf7

YoungWolf7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

I'm a fan of your take on star phantoms, the first has a lot to offer.  You will hear an audible chime when you get some black decals on those shoulder pads smile.png

Thanks mate! I guess I need to take pics from the side. All 3 have 3D printed chapter icons on them. smile.png

And here they are!

Star-Phantom-Test123-1.jpg

Edited by YoungWolf7, 29 September 2019 - 12:59 AM.

YoungWolf7

YoungWolf7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts

Here's the results of last night's and today's work. Both were airbrushed for the white armor and the brush for the rest. I tried a different green for the lenses, not sure what to think of it. The orange came out kinda cool. The "official" scheme uses red lenses, which just looks bad in the FW paintings.

Star-Phantom-Test4-1.jpg

Star-Phantom-Test4-2.jpg

Star-Phantom-Test4-3.jpg

Star-Phantom-Test4-4.jpg

Nothing like super close up pics to highlight your flaws in brushwork. rolleyesclean.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Phantoms, Khorne, Chaos, Orks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users