Facing the Unknown II

Trokair

I, Custom Hero, Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Scout Company of the Knights of Lydda (Space Marine codex) with chapter traits Long Rang Marksmen and Duelists by 29 February 2020 by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will complete a task of my fellow contestants’ choosing.

Welcome Custom Hero and good luck.

For my initial vow I will start with 1 Captain in Phobos Armor, 2 lieutenants (1 of each load out) in Phobos armor, an infiltrator squad (Sgt., Helix Adept, and 4 Infiltrators), and 2 10 man scout sniper squads, 2 Reiver squads (5 man and a 6 man), 1 Landspeeder Storm, 1 “scout bike squad” (converted cavalry on horseback), 1 Eliminator Squad (3 man converted), and 2 Stormtalon Gunships.

I do not have the new Space Marine Codex so I might be wrong as to the unit slot but I think you have listed too many HQ or Elites depending on whether Lieutenants are HQ or support characters in the Elite section as by my count that is either 3 HQ or 4 Elites. Could you double check things from your side please.

For this challenge my short term goal is to complete a fleshed out and functioning Patrol Detachment complete with flyers. I have chosen to start with models I already own that need to be assembled, painted, and played. Plus it will earn me brownie points with my wife for getting them completed. Talk about a win/win!

My long term goal is to have a fully fleshed out Battalion Detachment for this company. My aim to to successfully play an all scout style army using both Primaris in Phobos armor and regular Space Marine Scouts.

I chose this army for two reasons. First, I love the idea of the scout company. The greenest marines getting blooded and becoming veterans in their own right is a great way to build stories and characters. As I am building my own chapter using only the Space Marine Codex, I thought it an apt choice to start some character building. Secondly, I was told I was insane for attempting it, that it was “an unplayable pipe dream that would never win”. I saw the gauntlet on the ground and have decided to pick it up and prove them wrong. Challenge accepted!

Sounds like you have a solid plan and theme there that has you inspired, so go for it. The army might not be competitive but for friendly games it looks fine. Infantry heavy forces can do surprisingly well in objective games.

Larkyn, I have to second Custom Hero, your wolf lord is looking good already. I assume that he will be a normal Wolf Lord and not the Primaris variant on account of the Jump Pack despite the base body.

Blackheart1223, I assume that you are referring to the FW version of Lugft Huron.

Slave to Darkness, just so you are aware the Death Korps of Krieg are a bit on the small and spindly side compared to plastic guard/storm troopers.

Trokair, 2 lieutenants can be fielded in one HQ slot in Codex: Space Marines. They are split when putting them on the table. To me it’s better than forcing a captain in immediately. As an extra incentive, i really need to learn to play each of them.

Thank you for the feedback brother. I am looking forward to this endeavor.

For my initial vow I will start with 1 Captain in Phobos Armor, 2 lieutenants (1 of each load out) in Phobos armor, an infiltrator squad (Sgt., Helix Adept, and 4 Infiltrators), and 2 10 man scout sniper squads, 2 Reiver squads (5 man and a 6 man), 1 Landspeeder Storm, 1 “scout bike squad” (converted cavalry on horseback), 1 Eliminator Squad (3 man converted), and 2 Stormtalon Gunships.

I do not have the new Space Marine Codex so I might be wrong as to the unit slot but I think you have listed too many HQ or Elites depending on whether Lieutenants are HQ or support characters in the Elite section as by my count that is either 3 HQ or 4 Elites. Could you double check things from your side please.

That's 2 HQ, 3 Troops, 2 Elites, 2 Fast Attack, 1 Heavy Support and a couple Flyers. 2 Lieutenants can take up a single HQ slot together if they're the same type, which they are.

Edit: Got sniped by Custom Hero. Oof.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

I edited my original post too to clarify the choices by slot. Thanks for the assist Zephaniah!

Only one fast attack though. The Landspeeder Storm is a transport option for scouts. I’ll have to revisit the codex to make sure I can combat squad them in order for the transport option to work.

Edited by Custom Hero

Trokair, 2 lieutenants can be fielded in one HQ slot in Codex: Space Marines. They are split when putting them on the table. To me it’s better than forcing a captain in immediately. As an extra incentive, i really need to learn to play each of them.

Thank you for the feedback brother. I am looking forward to this endeavor.

Fair enough, did not know that, learned something new right there.

Hey Trokair, would it be allowed for me to switch my plans from Black Templars to Night Lords? Asking because I'm currently in the process of starting both armies, but I've actually GOT the models to build Night Lords, whereas I need to purchase a bunch of stuff for the Black Templars :laugh.:

Edited by Gederas

Hey Trokair, would it be allowed for me to switch my plans from Black Templars to Night Lords? Asking because I'm currently in the process of starting both armies, but I've actually GOT the models to build Night Lords, whereas I need to purchase a bunch of stuff for the Black Templars :laugh.:

Well, technically not, unless you wanted to invoke the ‘Army not for you’ rule but as the event officially starts on the 1st November and it is still October where I am it has technically not started yet. So, better be quick about it. Before I officially notice ;)

So as to be fair the same goes for anybody else who has vowed before the event officially starts, if you want to change be quick. Once the official start is here you are locked in until you have completed your detachment (and use the Army not for you rule)

Well, technically not, unless you wanted to invoke the

Edited by Gederas

I, Heckus, Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Genestealer Cult by 29 February 2020 by working on a Outrider Detachment.

I don’t have any assembled non-Imperial armies at the moment but the recent GSC stuff (bikes and buggies) look like they’d be fun to paint and assemble. Also, the “deployment via blips” looks like fun. I should probably have started with Troops and big mutants but this is how i’m doin’ it. I’ve assembled the bike boss-sniper and a few bikes. I also have 2 buggies to unbox.

I’m not sure what to pledge as a “forfeit” and didn’t see many examples so I just won’t fail.

Well, technically not, unless you wanted to invoke the ‘Army not for you’ rule but as the event officially starts on the 1st November and it is still October where I am it has technically not started yet. So, better be quick about it. Before I officially notice :wink:

So as to be fair the same goes for anybody else who has vowed before the event officially starts, if you want to change be quick. Once the official start is here you are locked in until you have completed your detachment (and use the Army not for you rule)

What Black Templars? :tongue.:

I also completely forgot it starts November 1st :laugh.:

But Night Lords can't take Primaris...!

Slave to Darkness, just so you are aware the Death Korps of Krieg are a bit on the small and spindly side compared to plastic guard/storm troopers.

Yep,  they are tiiiny!! But the scale doesnt bother me as I still use 1st Ed Greater Daemons alongside the newer sculpts, hell a Great Unclean One is the same height as a Terminator :lol:

I just LOVE the Krieg look. MMMmmmmmmmmm Gasmasks and artillery!! :wub:

I, Heckus, Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Genestealer Cult by 29 February 2020 by working on a Outrider Detachment.

I don’t have any assembled non-Imperial armies at the moment but the recent GSC stuff (bikes and buggies) look like they’d be fun to paint and assemble. Also, the “deployment via blips” looks like fun. I should probably have started with Troops and big mutants but this is how i’m doin’ it. I’ve assembled the bike boss-sniper and a few bikes. I also have 2 buggies to unbox.

I’m not sure what to pledge as a “forfeit” and didn’t see many examples so I just won’t fail.

Welcome, forfeits are not required, so no worries there.

Start with whatever inspires you, and the bikes, quad and buggies certainly look great.

Well, technically not, unless you wanted to invoke the ‘Army not for you’ rule but as the event officially starts on the 1st November and it is still October where I am it has technically not started yet. So, better be quick about it. Before I officially notice :wink:

What Black Templars? :tongue.:

I also completely forgot it starts November 1st :laugh.:

But Night Lords can't take Primaris...!

That you know of :ph34r.:

In any case, whoops! Good catch :laugh.:

Also, the Patrol Detachment will be the Chaos Lord with Jump Pack & Dual Lightning Claws and the other 6-man squad I vowed for Call of Chaos. ..... And I just realized I forgot to take a picture of the other squad. GG me :laugh.:

Will do that tonight

Edit: Okay, took the picture of the other squad

MprSDyV.jpg

ou0HaC2.jpg

Edited by Gederas

The 1st of November is here this event has now started. Good luck to all.

Opening Summary

So far we have 10 Participants; 5 Imperial, 4 Xenos and 1 Chaos. As expected most of the detachment vowed are Patrol, but three brave participants have vowed otherwise, 1 Vanguard, 1 Outrider and 1 Super Heavy Auxiliary!

---

As November is here I better make my own vow. Here goes nothing:

I, Trokair, by the grace of the Omnissiah, Vow to face the Unknown and will learn about the Adepta Soroitas* by 29 February 2020 by working on a Patrol Detachment. Failure is not acceptable, but should I suffer it I will owe a debt of honour to my fellow participants and I will build/convert and paint a model suitable for each other participants’ army!

*I will add that this is entirely depended on acquiring the sister box when it comes out. If I cannot get hold of one by late December I will have to change the army I vowed to Tau as I restarted tau this autumn and have build but not painted around a 1000p. Let’s hope it does not come to that.

I always liked the idea of a Sister of Battle army, but in my younger days an all metal army was just not feasible, as such I have patiently awaited a plastic release.  My goal for this army is to aim and build an army of around 1000p. I am of course intending to do plenty of conversion so as to add my own theme and twist to the army.  

Edited by Trokair

No pics yet but the first 10 kabalites are built, sprayed, base coated and washed with contrast. (Talassar over leadbelcher seems to work well). I'll not be highlighting as from a distance they look fine and will mostly be in venoms anyways!

Need to do weapons, details, eyes and flayed skin.

Hopefully get them done by the end of the weekend/ Monday...

Slightly off topic but as it kinda relates to my new army Im gonna ask anyway, where the hell do I get Track Guards, Dozer Blades and Heavy Stubbers etc?? How am I supposed to make kick ass gargantuan metal vehicles of war if the bits dont come in the kit?

Not of topic at all. It is a valid question and we are here to help. 

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Imperial-Guard-Tank-Accessories

Though I have to say I am surprised that the sprue is now a separate thing. I am sure that my Chimeras had all the options in the box when I got them many a year ago.  

Thinking about it I am sure that the old Lemon Russ also had the options in the box but I guess the two updated kits from 6th edition (or thereabouts) do not.

As you can see, I dug out a few things. Sorry for the picture quality, but you get the idea.

CBEEE4-CA-3-F60-44-B2-B3-D0-262-A3850-C7

Pictured are

1 Captain in Phobos Armor

2 Lieutenants in Phobos Armor

1 Infiltrator Squad (5 man converted)

2 Scout Squads (10 man converted)

1 Reiver Squad (5 man)

1 Reiver Squad (6 man under construction)

1 Landspeeder Storm (in box)

1 Storm Talon Gunship (in box)

1 Storm Talon Gunship (under construction)

1 Eliminator Squad (3 man converted)

I have most of the parts for the scout “biker squad” cavalry conversions, but it was a little much to lay out. I’ll post that one when I get to constructing it.

I put together the Captain and Lieutenants over the last two days and will post pics with the completion of each model and/or squad as I walk through the components of my vow.

So far I have learned that a scouting army, now that they have seen my seriousness about the subject, actually unsettles a lot of my local players when they look up each squads special rules.That makes me a little warm and fuzzy inside.

Till next time!

Tempted to pick up the other Phobos Lieutenant around Christmastime, to represent the other Lieutenant of the Third Company. Anyone here ever run modern Raven Guard or Phobos stuff who might be able to offer some insight as to what sorts of play styles Shadowspear plus an extra unit of Eliminators, a unit of Reivers and a Shrike open up? By the way, I've finished up my Eliminators and Reivers, minus decals I don't have yet. Pics to come of both the lads post-strip and after finishing their paint jobs.

No pics yet but the first 10 kabalites are built, sprayed, base coated and washed with contrast. (Talassar over leadbelcher seems to work well). I'll not be highlighting as from a distance they look fine and will mostly be in venoms anyways!

Need to do weapons, details, eyes and flayed skin.

Hopefully get them done by the end of the weekend/ Monday...

Very interested to see this. Drukhari are under consideration for me as far as putting together a Kill Team.

Here we go. I have typed this once but used the wrong image extension/ otherwise and lost the post... Posting pics here is faffy! :biggrin.:

Anyways. Obligatory box pics as well as the [imo] nearly finished squads. 2, 5 person kabalite warrior squads. They will be distinguised by items on the belts [cylinders and pouches] and I'll do this with other squads too.

I aimed for 5th ed cover art as the insipiration and although it's not as dark as the art, I'm happy with how these are turning out. I'm not aiming for golden demon winning, simply an army that looks good on the table. I will do a skin highlight before they're declared 'done' I'll do basing as a batch at "the end"... [need to tidy up the armour in some places too - shouldn't take too long]

Thoughts and comments welcome. I'll be on with a pair of venoms next and painting those with contrast may be a challenge due to flat surface area. I'll be using a huge amount of medium and try to use repeated coats and see how that goes. Wish me luck...

I've also included a pic from my first DE project from many, many years ago. Thankfully my painting has improved!

PS - any better hosting sites than Photobucket? It seems so slow and buggy :sad.: It drives me insane... [sorting these pics took over 40 minutes. That's painting time!!!]

My first ever archon on skyboard :smile.:

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DSCF2693.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DE%20Proj%20log%202019/SC%20boxes_zpsz3eh1ipo.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DE%20Proj%20log%202019/botp_zpsldhfrrzs.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DE%20Proj%20log%202019/vr_zpsoaw60cij.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DE%20Proj%20log%202019/rav%20rw%20bxes_zpsz1enlwwi.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DE%20Proj%20log%202019/de%203_zpsg0fx943o.jpg

https://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g392/rtb01/DE%20Proj%20log%202019/de%202_zps8tbxbdd6.jpg

Edited by 01RTB01