=][= Chimera Variant Challenge =][=

duz_

Not Bradley, not BMP. It's the less known Russian MT-LB, almost exact copy of it down to the gun ports.

Lesser known indeed since I've never come across it before.

Yeah, mostly used in northern regions of Russia if I remember correctly. Sweden bought a few and named them PBV 401 that's why I know of them.

Got some more done last night and this morning. 

zfq03vY.png

The blisters on the lower glacis plate for the drive wheel mechanism seemed like a good idea when I was just holding the bits in place with my hands, but now that they're both attached and I've had a little time away and looked at the model again, I'm not so sure they work at that well. They look too big and out of place. I could maybe shift the track sections forward, but... ugh, it would take so much more work to fix everything else from doing that. 

From the front and oblique it looks good side on its a bit odd

Have you tried fitting the tracks around that section to see how it looks like completed? I'm undecided myself

tbh, I think they look fine as-is. A little large, perhaps [particularly, for some odd reason, the size of the headlights themselves mounted therein], but nothing to lose sleep over. As others have said, from the side they'll look smaller once tracks are on, in any case; but I also think that contingent upon what you use for a turret, they'll further fade into the background. In fact - that'll be your next major headache/design choice, as I'm wondering whether the standard-sized Chimera turret might look a little small. Particularly in terms of the Bradley aesthetic you're going for .

It's an interesting design-choice, as well, the driver's position. I get that it's mimicking the equivalent on the Bradley, although unless the hatch also includes the vision-blocks (i.e. rather than just the part-dome), it may be a bit of a tight squeeze. 

Still, looks pretty great all up - well done. 

I have a similar idea. I wanted a slightly more heavy duty chimera for my city-fighters so i came up with the "Juggernaut-Pattern Breaching Chimera". It's main features are a turret mounted lascannon for door-busting, modified heavy flamer for zone clearance, and track guard/dozer blades (not shown) for getting through rumble.

med_gallery_69131_9372_419265.jpg sml_gallery_69131_9372_959872.jpg

Why,Yes, is just a chimera with a baneblade sponson on it, but I think that particular piece has a nice compact "heavy duty" feel to it over the original. Also, i didn't have any un-built chimeras or plasticard lying around and this is something fits my current army project.

Wooooould that be an acceptable entry?

Edited by Cap'm Heckus

I have a similar idea. I wanted a slightly more heavy duty chimera for my city-fighters so i came up with the "Juggernaut-Pattern Breaching Chimera". It's main features are a turret mounted lascannon for door-busting, modified heavy flamer for zone clearance, and track guard/dozer blades (not shown) for getting through rumble.

med_gallery_69131_9372_419265.jpgsml_gallery_69131_9372_959872.jpg

Why,Yes, is just a chimera with a baneblade sponson on it, but I think that particular piece has a nice compact "heavy duty" feel to it over the original. Also, i didn't have any un-built chimeras or plasticard lying around and this is something fits my current army project.

Wooooould that be an acceptable entry?

The chassis variant would be

But its a build and paint challenge... You've already built it :huh.:

I will have to open this up to the general staff command Council and see what they say

Fellow participants and active observers what are you thoughts?

Edited by duz_

A similar build that look very nice is using the mini-turret from the baneblade to built a twin heavy bolter turret for the chimera. It fits perfectly and, if you built a shadowsword, then you've got a spare.

I actually got this bit from a mostly used sprue that I found in the basement of my FLGS. The one Las-turret was the only thing I could piece together. Someday I'll get the big kit...

What i did was add a lascannon battery from a heavy weapon team to fill it out a bit..

sml_gallery_69131_9372_179277.jpg

...and then I found a cap from an old dead marker that was the exact right size for the hole on the top of the tank.

sml_gallery_69131_9372_590159.jpg

This way the turret can still rotate.

EDIT: These buildy-bits (including turret assembly and heavy flamer modification) I did today. The hull WAS already built however.

Edited by Cap'm Heckus

The chassis variant would be

But its a build and paint challenge... You've already built it :huh.:

I will have to open this up to the general staff command Council and see what they say

Fellow participants and active observers what are you thoughts?

No.  you're correct.  I should have taken pictures of the unassembled turret and extra bits and posted them first, and the hull WAS pre-assembled. 

I will take her back over to my own thread where she will be painted and loved and photographed running over fleeing Mordians.... :wink:.

Edited by Cap'm Heckus

Participant list updated! Please let me know if I missed anything.

I have discrepant paperwork from the following Commanders:

• Rune Priest Ridcully: Chapelmera [Need before picture]
  • Brother Chaplain Kage: [Official Vow Pending]
  • Cap'm Heckus: [Official Vow Pending]

BCK, although we see progress you have not communicated to the Munitorum and therefore the vehicle cannot be tracked. Please resubmit paper work.

Cap'm Heckus, after further review and the Munitorum has decided to approve your contribution, please submit appropriate paper work including below images for your vow to be approved.

med_gallery_69131_9372_419265.jpg

sml_gallery_69131_9372_179277.jpg

Oh dang, I completely forgot about the vow and just kinda jumped in here. Oops. 

I, BCK, being of questionably sound mind, do hereby pledge to do way more work than is mentally healthy or necessary for my Necromundan Chimera variant.

CoMSZcj.png

Edited by duz_
Before picture added for completeness

Hi guys been away for a while and haven't had a chance to work on my Salamander until this morning. Here's an update I need to make some armour plates on each side of the flamethrower.

Salamanderwip2

Salamanderwip1

When i get this painted i'll need to make scorch marks by the hatch which i imaging would irk the driver a bit. :tongue.:

Excellent models here.

I have a newly arrived Chimera kit on my desk right now, and I'm measuring it up for some modifications, so I'd like to get in on this. The problem is that, due to logistical issues, I'm not sure I'll be able to even start painting it within the timeframe, and I don't know I should enter a build and paint event with such a big question mark hanging over the 'and paint' half.

++vox incoming:callsign dangerous++

++schematics downloading++
++Vow complete++

Introducing the Chimera variant, The Hellhound Panzer Whopper...

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/9b425126-c97b-4360-a38e-a62d950d2d04-jpeg.112010/

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/f904d66c-738c-44f2-9c18-94c068f1c6fd-jpeg.112011/

“would you like fries with that?”

battlecry of the Hive Guys Franchise Recon Corp, The 247th

++vox incoming:callsign dangerous++

++schematics downloading++

++Vow complete++

Introducing the Chimera variant, The Hellhound Panzer Whopper...

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/9b425126-c97b-4360-a38e-a62d950d2d04-jpeg.112010/

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/f904d66c-738c-44f2-9c18-94c068f1c6fd-jpeg.112011/

“would you like fries with that?”

battlecry of the Hive Guys Franchise Recon Corp, The 247th

Not quite a Panzer Flamingo :P 

Introducing the Juggernaut Pattern Breaching Chimera. The Imperial Guard's new favorite way to say "Knock knock". Now with reinforced tracks and turret armor,...

sml_gallery_69131_9372_665154.jpg sml_gallery_69131_9372_257120.jpg

.. turret-mounted "Door Buster" Lascannon,...

med_gallery_69131_9372_593515.jpg

...hull-mounted "Surprise party"-pattern heavy flamer...

med_gallery_69131_9372_969397.jpg

...and still has room for 12 of the Emperor's finest!