What exactly is the Emperor? [SPOILERS]

Spyros

I figure that loss of humanity was the price for his foresight.

Not so much loss really, more His attention was split between time.

Malcador says something to one of the Primarchs, mightve been the Khan, when they complain that He is always busy and distant.

Malcador replies that you should be happy he can have a conversation with you at all, as his sight is set far from here, or some such.

The bigger your perspective, the more likely you are to lose sight of the small details

And when your perspective is potentially all of time and space while trying to prevent the utter extinction of your species and save reality, well...

Also, the thousands of Psykers being consumed isn't feeding the Emperor directly, its what fuels the Astronomicon. Now, whether the Throne could keep Emps *alive* without them is unknown.

Whats also kinda crazy, the Thrones function is not just to control the largest psychic manifestation in the galaxy, it was designed to rebuild and maintain the Webway and allow Humanity to use it safely, with Magnus being custom built for that purpose.

*Spoilers for HH Path of Heaven*

Yesugei finds a dark mirror of the Throne, hidden in the middle of nowhere on a space station, with its foundations, a huge psychically active rod, buried in the Immaterium through a stable warp portal.

Yesugei sits on the throne, and manages to open up a new web way gate that sends the Scars fleet across the whole galaxy and drops them right at the doorstep of our the Terran system.

The Scars find a log from the previous master of the station, long dead along with everyone else on board the research station, and the log heavily implies that Magnus remains the only being other than Him who could use the Throne successfully, but the master of the station is going to try anyway, as the station has a saboteur aboard and everyone is dying.

And then Yesugei finds burned skeletal remains on the throne and takes his place.

The Throne is described by Yesugei as a massive pain engine, that massively augments psychic power, so much power it burns him out in literal seconds, he has just enough time to say goodbye to a few folks psychically, open the door, and then burns.

Really cool sequence.

In the latest white dwarf there are a series of in-world snippets that describe what seem to be manifestations of 'daemons of the emperor'. A battleship lost with all hands that keeps on reappearing and laying waste to enemies and the legion of the damned. Which suggests that the power of the emperor is in resurgence.

I think the reason that emps didn't ask guilliman to turn off the throne may be as simple as he is not entirely sure what will happen. We've seen that he is not infalliable.

There's also the suggestion from the Cawl novel and the AC short story Ancient History that DAoT sentiences can transfer their consciousness/abilities to a new host and survive more or less indefinitely, in which case the Emperor, shackled to the throne, may not be able to move to a new host and is stuck in a catch 22 situation where he is unable to escape/evolve. That's if he is some kind of DAoT psychic weapon.

did they indeed mention the legion of the damned? thats curious as i expected them to be removed from the setting slowly but surely as they already left the codex marines for a lousy place in the legends

My headcanon is this:

The Emperor is a DAoT superweapon (as suggested in MoM).

The Neolithic Anatolian origin is a purposeful fabrication.

The Emperor was created during the DAoT, but not by humans. The Men of Iron were programmed to preserve the human species, and they sensed the danger brewing in the Warp.

Some Men of Iron concluded that the best way would be to cull all human carriers of the psyker gene (whether recessive or dominant). Other Men of Iron concluded that humanity's ultimate preservation would best be achieved through the creation of a super-being to lead and unite the species. These latter Men of Iron were fewer in number but managed to help humanity defeat the former Men of Iron, and secretly created the Emperor during this time. They then deactivated or destroyed themselves (or went into exile) in recognition of their inability to guarantee that they would never become hostile to humanity in the future.

The Emperor is the genetically perfect psychic human created by machines created by humans. He completes the circle.

Alternatively, he is the ultimate evolution of the Men of Iron, a Man of Iron construct with a soul, capable of macro-scale (or incredibly precise) manipulation of the Warp through the technological equivalent of the psyker gene. He was designed to be mankind's ultimate sheperd, and the culmination of the loyalist Iron Men's mission to protect humanity.

Other ideas here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/351103-your-favourite-emperor-origin-ideas/

Well, there is no answer to the question of this thread...until, I suppose, Saturnine

Apparently he is the greatest of the Perpetuals met by Erda even during the Sumerian age

So I guess that is that

I'm a big fan of the "weapon from Dark Age of Technology" theory. But in my mind there is no concrete answer to his origins, nor should there be

My personal theory is yes he's a weapon from the dark age but eventually he will ascend to actual godhood at which point time is nolonger a issue hence all the legend of him pre DAOT