Dark Metallic

Hey guys I was hoping to paint a my newcrons with an extremely dark metallic, essentially a metallic black. I got the Scale 75 Black Metal hoping it would be exactly that but the colour is barely different in shade from the Basilicanum Grey contrast. I was wondering whether anyone here has recommendations on a paint I could use and any photo’s for example’s.

Thanks,

Jay

Vallejo metal color has a number of dark metallic paints that are perfect for airbrushing or traditional brush painting-- colors like burnt iron, gunmetal, and exhaust manifold to name a few. The coverage on these paints is amazing- I can say the copper in particular has been life changing.

Hope that helps?

Edited by The_Chaplain

You definitely don't want to shade SC75 black metal with basilicanum. If you're using contrast, I'd be inclined to start with a lighter metallic and shade it with black templar, which will leave brighter areas on the raised detail as contrast paints are designed to. You can see an example of that in Juan Hidalgo's Iron Hands video

Another approach to metallic black is to start with black and add either metallic medium or a dark metallic colour (black metal has some blue in it, I believe iron warriors has a touch of brown, leadbelcher and TAP gunmetal are pretty neutral). If you were doing a whole army like this, you'd probably need to mix a whole pot of this.

If you can find it, there's an old WD article where they painted a Mordor troll's armour by starting out boltgun metal (TAP gunmetal) and shading it to near-black with multiple coats of... I don't remember what the old black wash was called, sorry. TAP dark tone ink is, famously, almost identical to it, though. They got a nice metallic black that way.

there is a chap on here whose name I forget, that did a Heresy-era Iron Hands force , making use of *graphite* - as in , actual graphite from pencils or somesuch - to add a metallic lustre to his black armoured Astartes. 

I believe that is Stix, who has a thread on the Age of Darkness forum.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/352715-wip-slow-advance-iron-hands-plog/

You definitely don't want to shade SC75 black metal with basilicanum. If you're using contrast, I'd be inclined to start with a lighter metallic and shade it with black templar, which will leave brighter areas on the raised detail as contrast paints are designed to. You can see an example of that in Juan Hidalgo's Iron Hands video

Another approach to metallic black is to start with black and add either metallic medium or a dark metallic colour (black metal has some blue in it, I believe iron warriors has a touch of brown, leadbelcher and TAP gunmetal are pretty neutral). If you were doing a whole army like this, you'd probably need to mix a whole pot of this.

If you can find it, there's an old WD article where they painted a Mordor troll's armour by starting out boltgun metal (TAP gunmetal) and shading it to near-black with multiple coats of... I don't remember what the old black wash was called, sorry. TAP dark tone ink is, famously, almost identical to it, though. They got a nice metallic black that way.

I didn't shade it with contrast. I painted it alongside an area of basilicanum over grey seer and the colours were the tone of the colours were nigh on identical. I tested because I wanted to run the base of my new necrons as basilicanum to get the depth to the joints etc and then paint the armour panels as a metallic black but there was just no difference between the two colours unfortunately.

Leadbelcher base, then black templar? Or even start with Iron Warriors.

Have you considered painting them black, and highlighting with leadbelcher? It sounds odd, but it really works - there's a few semi metallic DA horus heresy era armies that look amazing using this method. 

For anyone interested this is what I used for the base color, followed by wash

[snip]

Seconding this, or Burnt Iron from the same range. Folks need to be careful though, because there's also a regular vallejo range Gunmetal Grey metallic and it's not the same.

Hey guys I was hoping to paint a my newcrons with an extremely dark metallic, essentially a metallic black. I got the Scale 75 Black Metal hoping it would be exactly that but the colour is barely different in shade from the Basilicanum Grey contrast. I was wondering whether anyone here has recommendations on a paint I could use and any photo’s for example’s.

Thanks,

Jay

Hi Jay,

I can provide you with two or threw cool solutions, but all require an airbrush, a respirator and a booth. Let me know if that suits you.

Regards,

Enrique @TRFT

Edited by Lovecraft0110

Another vote for Vallejo's Metal Color line for the dark metallics.  They are brushable, too.

Or a some Alclad lacquers will do the same, if you've got the equipment to use it.

Just to be clear (because someone also mentioned beware which Vallejo gunmetal you buy), you can paint with the Vallejo gunmetal grey airbrush paint using a normal brush?

I really like Betrayer41's grey metal. Which wash did you use? Nuln oil?

Just to be clear (because someone also mentioned beware which Vallejo gunmetal you buy), you can paint with the Vallejo gunmetal grey airbrush paint using a normal brush?

I've not had a problem using a brush to apply any of the Game Air or Model Air line (including the silver metallics) - I actually use the Game Air metallics in preference to the Game Colour equivalent. :smile.:

I've never used Vallejo Metal Colour, but Vallejo state that it can be painted on with a brush on their site, and I've seen people on other forums say they've done it fine, so I don't imagine it'd be a problem (note that the metallic flake is aluminium, which will ruin brushes, though, so probably best not to use your best brush with it) ...

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Another vote for Vallejo's Metal Color line for the dark metallics. They are brushable, too.

Or a some Alclad lacquers will do the same, if you've got the equipment to use it.

I really like Betrayer41's grey metal. Which wash did you use? Nuln oil?

Yes, you can brush with all of the metal color paints just fine. I use them pretty frequently with a brush