[DW] Blackthorn/Swordhand Episode III: Recruitment Thread

Commissar Molotov

Wow, so many new faces!

I know a warm welcome has been rolled out between the denizens of the RPG Nook, but let me extend mine to those people fresh to the board and new to the RPG Subforum.

Just a couple of housekeeping points and I'll let you get to GKD (That's Guns, Killing and Death).

If you haven't already, anyone just registered please take a quick look at the board rules (I'm sorry to be that guy, and I know you probably know the drill from other places, but it never hurts, plus I'm a retired Moderator ;p )

If you'd like to introduce yourself to all the other members of the forum, please consider posting a greeting here, where no doubt you can find direction to expand your horizons should you be as nuts on 40k as everyone else!

That's all from me - looking forward to seeing you around the forum!

MR.

Hi Boyadventurer, whilst it's true that I've had a lot of interest (much more than I could've reasonably expected!) I'm still keen to get a range of applications. What sort of characters/chapters would you be interested in?

@All: I will say I would like to see more Ultramarines successors - it really saddens me that people think they are "boring" or "default"! :(

It's not that they are boring, it's that they get the spot light, a lot. And it's hard to really make stand out characters for them that don't break from the codex. By that I mean look at the Ventris novels, he openly defies the codex at least once, his predecessor did it too and the player character from Space Marine does it as well.

For me, I never clicked with their lore, I found it to be a bit of "We are the best, because we just are!", they lacked the ambiguity of what first drew my to the First. Since then, well I've grown to really love the First and all the new information about them makes me love the crusade era First even more.

I mean my #1 top pick would be an Imperial Fist tactical marine, since it was my Sternguard-heavy IF army that then got me into DW when their codex first dropped in 7ed. But I could maybe go for a Novamarine or Silver Skull to help fill out the successor chapters. Is it just the core classes that are available or are things like Black Shields in the mix (or are those more like prestige classes? Its been a while since I poked around in the books).

I can flip through the books again in a couple hours when I'm off work and see what really strikes my fancy!

Hi there! I'm one of the folks that contacted you over on Reddit. If there are still spots available I would like to apply to play! I was thinking of playing a Lamenter, but since they were involved in the Badab War they won't be option. I'm down to make a custom chapter though and have the Rites of Battle book so that I can do the random generation. 

I think its not people against Ultramarines and successors per se, I just think that there are so many chapters with such rich histories that it is hard to chose really. With such exciting options with each chapter being so unique and appealing to certain people its hard to see people just liking ultramarines and their line. Every chapter has a niche that speaks to someone.

I have to agree with what others have said about the spotlight/poster boy effect and the overly strict adherence to the Codex plus the now overplayed "rebellious" Captain for daring not follow the Codex to the letter. And at least in my case this is a 40k only thing. If I look at 30k, Ultramarines are my number three after Raven Guard and Alpha Legion (tied for number one) because they're actually really cool in the Horus Heresy. Whether its the books like Fear to Tread or short stories like Censure or Rules of War, the Ultramarines and Guilliman are crazy cool. I really like their theoretical/practical thinking process and how it plays out in the stories but it feels like that just doesn't carry over to 40k. It feels like the difference between being strict and disciplined versus being dogmatic. 

Hey Commissar, first time poster, long-time lurker on B&C here!

I discovered your PBP LFP post on Reddit, and I'm a great lover of FFG's RPG systems. I'd like to throw my hat into the ring for playing either a Black Shield librarian, with the full librarian progression track, or a tac marine who would eventually progress into the chaplain track. Have a rough character background already in mind, with a lesser used/known chapter. Can go either way depending on what is needed or wanted. I have a good amount of experience playing a battle psyker in Black Crusade and really enjoy the divination and nuking playstyle.

Cheers!

Finally got approved and had the chance to post after some busy days with work!

I also contacted you on Reddit, CommissarMolotov. 

I'm pretty flexible with the specific role I'd be playing but my first instinct is towards Tactical, or maybe Apothecary.

I am an admitted fanboy for the Ultramarines, primarily based on their 30k concept and because I enjoy studying Roman history. However, since we're trying to avoid some of the First Founding spotlights, I'd be very interested to run a Marine from the Guardians of the Covenant.

Edited by Praetorian86

Ay up lads. I too have come here from dark, far off lands and am also interested in desecrating these halls by joining in on all the fun. I've been thumbing through some of the pages of the IC thread at random, reading some of the back and forth, and mulling over the Deathwatch RPG system itself and I have to say it's all bringing me back to a part of my edgy teenage youth where I chose free-form roleplay on obscure internet forums to be my outlet. So many wasted hours clapping on the keyboard describing how my power fantasy was a cut-above that of my peers - all while misspelling things and eschewing basic grammar because rules are for dorks. Better times? Maybe. Certainly less well-written times, that's for sure. And certainly a lot of fun.

On to the character proposals, I've a few in mind. One is a Doom Eagles Librarian, which I thought would be quite interesting. The chapter's obsession with death and unique outlook are already stirring up ideas in my head as to how he would present himself to his fellow astartes, and I can't help but feel their morbid nature would underlie a sense of gallows humour mixed with some darker nuance. Plus if I play to the chapter's theme the character is basically a death metal wizard with a jetpack so yeah. I'm also eager to explore a concept I've since dubbed unironic ironic doomerposting but don't ask me about to explain it because I can't.

Another is a Consecrators tactical marine. I've always enjoyed the Dark Angels for their knightly theme and while the overly paranoid, secretive "who's backstabbing who", can get grating at times there's more water to draw from the well of The First - the Consecrators are a good example of it. Relics, secrets, histories and knightly bonds abound I think with this one. The chapter's history is also quite cool, with being tied up in the original Legio I's Firewing. Lots of prestige, lots of a pride, lots of potential politicking - it's a pre-build lion in a box innit?

A sweet and sour idea is something I'm not sure would even be allowed, but the idea of playing a Blackshield comes with a certain allure baked into the package so I'm compelled to at least float the notion. Now you might say the whole idea behind a Blackshield removes some of the fun - the inter-chapter rivalries and interactions - which is true, but I didn't call this one sweet and sour for nothing. I have a plan. If nothing else it can offer some interesting character conflicts both in and around the marine himself and I'm positive there is more to the Blackshield than brooding in the corner and being the most super special marine in a room of super special marines.

I suppose we'll see won't we! I'll drop a pre-emptive thanks for any people who will welcome me to this forum; you all seem very sincere and eager for new blood like a den of hungry wolves. : )

Hi all,

I can only express once again how extremely gratified I am to have received so many expressions of interest from so many passionate gamers and hobbyists. That so many people would put their trust and faith in me I think speaks to the fantastic work my players have done in making the adventures of Blackthorn and Swordhand such an engrossing read. I would really encourage you - whatever happens - to read through the thread, as there are some amazing posts in there that could stand up to anything the Black Library produces.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of potential applicants and I've now received twenty-four, which is obviously more than I can sustain on my own. This is a good thing - as it makes it very clear there is a huge appetite for play-by-posting roleplaying, and I would encourage you to go and post in the play by post player register thread I created this morning. We clearly need some more games going in this sub-forum to accommodate you all!

If you are still someone reading this post who desperately wants to express your interest in joining: please do so! This thread was never designed to be first-come-first-served; I am looking for people who I think will be a good match over (potentially years!) the length of our game, and whose character concepts will not clash with those already in the game.

I have received email confirmations from most of my players, so I will be firming up my ideas of what I can accommodate over today and tomorrow.

I to would be interested in participating.

Following a tangent (that was spun off as its own thread) in a discussion in the Liber I have been increasingly thinking about taking part in such a game. However my complete lack of rules knowledge has always seemed a hurdle, hence why the discussion in the Liber of a narrative heavy rules light game appealed.

So as long as rules knowledge is not essential and someone can guide us in that regard I would like to take part.

I can assure you Commissar Molotov overestimates my rules knowledge. I know absolutely next to nothing about the rules set and all I have to do is tell him what I want to do, and he tells me what I need to roll.

I’m in this for the story writing element!

Hey, we messaged on Reddit about the campaign, but my account got verified so I can finally use the forum. I'm really interested in joining, and I'm thinking about a Doom Eagle Silver Skulls character, if possible? Accidentally put in Doom Eagle after misreading Honour the Chapter, apologies...

Edited by Komrade_Atomic

Adesro, feel free to pm me to bounce ideas around.

I started a liber astartes post I’ve linked elsewhere in the thread. It’s turning out to be a good discussion about it if you are interested.

Adesro, feel free to pm me to bounce ideas around.

I started a liber astartes post I’ve linked elsewhere in the thread. It’s turning out to be a good discussion about it if you are interested.