Rapid Fire Challenge: Portent - April 2021

Race Bannon

Prompt: Portent

Maximum length: 500 words

Deadline: 30 April 2021

Where to post submissions: In this thread

Note - please make sure all submissions adhere to the forum rules. Any entry that breaks one or more rules shall be removed.

Vijin Kwest

Vision was something that most orks lacked. Not Dok Toofrow.

He was elbow deep in the guts of his latest patient and trying to puzzle out how to fit all the bits he’d taken out back inside when he was struck by sudden inspiration. The way that the unfortunate ork’s innards sat just so inside its ribcage spoke to the Painboy in a very special way. Speed Freaks might see visions in the smoke, and Weirdboyz could talk direct with Gork and Mork, but Toofrow was clever in a different way.  He saw stories in the guts of his patients. And when he moved things around just right, they told him things that were very important.

“Eureka!” he bellowed, knocking a grot disorderly on its fundament with one of his extra arms. Toofrow didn’t know what that meant but it had felt right to yell it just then. He shrugged it off and went on his way, leaving the still-conscious ork on his operating table staring after him in bemusement.

Toofrow snatched the sticky gloves off his big hands with the weedy arms grafted to his waist. The grot they used to belong to didn’t need them anymore after he’d used it as practice for his latest surgikal in’avations. “Boss?” his disorderly called, scrambling after him as he pushed past squig-hide curtains. Toofrow paid it no mind and bulldozed his way through fire pits and lean-tos on his way to the spawning fields. Ork boyz growled and bellowed in anger but fell short of open challenge. Toofrow was big for a Painboy and made even bigger by the extra body parts he liked to harvest from patients and challengers alike.

By the time Dok Toofrow made it to the fungal fields where newborn orks and other squiggly beasts grew into maturity, his disorderly was panting and wheezing at his heals.

“What’re we doin’ here, boss?”

A backhand knocked some silence into the grot while Toofrow looked around. He was fixing to find the one he’d seen in his vision: a newly spawned ork that would become the next great Warboss, rising high over the bodies of its challengers as it dragged the Painboy into glory alongside it.

“Wot’z dis?”

The Runtherd nursemaid that tended the fields was short in stature with a temper to match. It came barreling up, puffing out its broad chest and smacking a wooden club against one meaty palm. Toofrow didn’t have time for niceties. He grabbed the other ork by its wrists, using his superior size to bend the joints painfully and force the runt to its haunches, while his weedy arms cut into it just right with a pair of skalpels. The Runtherd went limp and collapsed like a string-cut marionette. “Hide dat,” Toofrow commanded and his disorderly scrambled to obey.

He found the newborn he was looking for and picked it up in all four arms. Toofrow grinned.

“We’z goin’ placez,” he told it, ignoring the teef biting into his shoulder.

THE END

Edited by Dumah

I was going to do an Ork one myself but having just read Dumah’s there is no way I can top that. Excellent, excellent work!

It reminded me so much of the fluff pieces in Waaargh Da Orks, ‘Ere We Go and Freebooterz. :tu:

Great descriptions and so original!

You're too kind sir, thank you! It's always a real joy to write orks. That being said, I'd really love to read your ork story so please indulge us!

I was going to do an Ork one myself but having just read Dumah’s there is no way I can top that. Excellent, excellent work!

It reminded me so much of the fluff pieces in Waaargh Da Orks, ‘Ere We Go and Freebooterz. :tu:

Great descriptions and so original!

You're too kind sir, thank you! It's always a real joy to write orks. That being said, I'd really love to read your ork story so please indulge us!

It was more of a “I’ll see if anyone’s posted any stories yet, maybe I’ll think something up. Greenskins represent!”

Then I got into the thread and read your entry...

“Nope, I’m not needed here!” :D