Modelling: Doghouse pattern "Gothic Marines"

As this thread is about to reach the 40,000 views point I've decided that I will finish and post my step by step tutorial for the other truescale marines I created using terminator legs that I get asked for the most.

This doesn't mean that I'm back in the hobby though, it's a one off.

Thanks doghouse! Great to hear you're going to finish that tutorial doghouse! I would love to learn to make a huge marshal to lead my templars!

And to show anyone who's contemplating doing some of these, I've got a small update. I did 6 guys over the course of two nights and much of it was drying time. It just goes to show you that with a great tutorial, even the most inexperienced GSers can create something that looks pretty decent:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/swordbrethrenWIP1.jpg

I was just wonder how well this guys would mesh with a normal Marine army? Is it better to make one squad, spread them out amongst the squads, or save it for the important peoples?

If I may answer this question, I've found that the chaos warrior style truescale marines are about a head taller than the average marine. I personally, was planning on using them for an elite squad (Black Templar Sword Brethren) but honestly with a little patience, it wouldn't be too hard to do up a small army of these guys (and then you can use the termi-leg tutorial for the elites :)) So yes, my answer to your question would be to do them in squads for for your veterans.

As for how they fit with the rest of the army, I know doghouse already has a scale comparison, but his marine was standing on a sculpted base. I hope you don't mind if I post a scale comparison on flat bases:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j232/ultramarines/Black%20Templars/swordbrethren_scale.jpg

so the god has returned for a short while - its nice to hear form you, Doghouse - words annot explain how happy i am to see your with us again :)

on a happy note, i love your tut! ive made 12 so far, and love them all - the Sarge is even called Doghouse in honour of you :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Epic contribution to the hobby man, it is a loss for all the gamers and hobbyists that you finally decided to retire.

This thread has been dead for almost 3 years, and he isn't retired. Head over to the Horus Heresy section, he started up an Iron Warriors blog.

• 1 year later...
Anyone who has experience with this technique what tools and tips would you reccommend? I have Xacto blades of all kind and four purpose built modeling/carving/scultping tools and four dental style modeling picks.

Archived