A relatively brief update today to cover some interim projects:
Fraterrus Sextus made his first kill at an Apocalypse game over the New Years Weekend. So far so good!
The new plastic Enginseer, next to the two classic metal models. The details are a lot closer to the new Skitarii kits but it's significantly larger. It's a very intricate kit and I had to paint it almost entirely unassembled to reach all of the areas. Most of the seams are hidden by the detail of the kit but the shoulders had very noticeable gaps. This required a lot of LGS work on a half-painted model, which is not good practice. The end result, though, is very nice.
Ossuary-Generatorum 871 supplies power and protection to nearby Mechanicus fortifications.
After my earlier Bastion and Plasma Obliterator projects, I swore that I was finished with fortifications. However, opportunity dropped this limited-run model into my lap. As the only Mechanicus-themed fortification, I was more-or-less honor bound to complete it.
Most examples I've seen have the globes resting upon the support pillars painted as plasma globes. I went a different route - the glowing white/blue effect aligns with the rest of my Skitarii, and was heavily influenced by a scene from Frank Herbert's Dune that has stuck with me. I'm not a huge fan of the current trend of putting skulls and skeletons on everything, but made the most of it. It doesn't help that the skulls aren't all to scale - I figure that the larger ones are from Ogryns or gene-enhanced servitors.
While the end product is a good addition to my collection, painting and assembling were tortuous. The design seems to be very lazy - it's evident that bits from existing kits were simply tacked onto the master model. The silver lining is that it matches many of my other projects. The stormcloud is that it looks like someone got bored with dowel rods, hot glue and a bits box.
Part of me really wants to build two more to yield a Void Relay Network for Apocalypse games. The rest of me wants to kick the out of that guy. I'll probably do it eventually, but will use other kits for the remaining generators.
I realized that the custom head that I'd built for Fraterrus Primus had long since lost its charm. In fact, I found that I'd been altering my lists to avoid taking it. That wouldn't do.
Fortunately, I had built it early on in this project and my glue joints were not as integral as they should have been. I simply pulled the entire head off, kept the hood, and painted up a replacement. Now he can lead the Fraterri into battle with pride, knowing that his buck teeth and lazy eye have been surgically corrected. I've also upgraded its carapace banner using parts from the High Elf Dragon Princes kit and a Cities of Death lamp post. It now tracks all of the major campaigns that the Fraterri have participated in.
Work continues on a number of items. I've made rather large bits purchases in the past week to prepare for two major conversion projects. In the meantime, I'm slowly completing the final two Assassins (Vindicare and Callidus) and adding a few more random servitors and tech priests to my expanding retinue. And there are always more servo-skulls...
Edited by CommodusXIII, 21 January 2016 - 04:43 PM.