Preamble

So I felt that I would do a blog on Bolter and Chainsword.

My reason for doing this is not only to act as motivation for myself, but also to gather advise and information on how to play (and hopefully win) with my Blood Angels as sadly I don't have the best record with them. So I will be posting painting updates, links to my army lists and I also aim to add some battle reports on the off chance I get to have a game, with C&C being welcome on all.

Feel free to post or ignore, but to start this blog off here's my favourite picture from a past Apocalypse game:

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

My Army

What follows is a list of what I have in my collection, with the options available to them where possible. This will get added to as I acquire new bits and bobs.

HQ

Dante

Mephiston

Captain Tycho

Terminator Captain
~ Power Sword and Storm Bolter

Captain
~ Power Axe

Librarian
~ Force Axe

Librarian
~ Force Sword

Honour Guard
~ Blood Champion
~ Sanguinary Novitae
~ Banner bearer with Power Fist
~ Power Sword x2

Elites

Sternguard
~ x10
~ Plasma Gun
~ Two Bolters
~ Flamer
~ The rest will be built with Combi Weapons
~ Sergeant with Power Fist

Furioso Dreadnought
~ All options
~ (Can also be ran as a Death Company Dreadnought or as a Librarian Dreadnought)

"Tactical" Terminators
~ x10
~ Assault Cannon x2
~ Heavy Flamer x2

~ Cyclone Missile Launcher

Assault Terminators

~ x6

~ Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield x1

~ Five with both LC and TH&SS options

Sanguinary Guard

~ x5

~ Three Glaive Encarmine Swords

~ Two Glaive Encarmine Axes

~ Banner optional

~ Power Fist optional

~ Plasma Pistol optional

~ Inferno Pistol optional

Sanguinary Priest
~ Corbulo
~ Power Sword x1

Techmarine
~ On foot, no harness

Chaplain

~ x2
~ Bolt Pistol x2

~ Jump Pack x1

Troops

Tactical Squad
~ Marines x50
~ Missile Launcher x4
~ Heavy Bolter
~ Plasma Gun
~ Flamer x4
~ Sergeants with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword

Assault Squad
~ Marines x10
~ No Jump Packs
~ Melta Gun
~ Flamer
~ Plasma Pistol x2
~ Sergeant with Plasma Pistol and Power Axe

Death Company
~ Lemartes
~ Marines x23
~ Jump Pack x13
~ Plasma Pistol (with Jump Pack) x2
~ Plasma Pistol (no Jump Pack) x2
~ Power Sword (with Jump Pack) x2
~ Power Sword (no Jump Pack) x2
~ Power fist and Bolter (removable Jump Pack)
~ Thunder Hammer and Bolter (removable Jump Pack)
~ Bolter

Scout Squad
~ Heavy Bolter
~ Bolter
~ Shot Gun
~ Sniper Rifle x8
~ Bolt Pistol and Combat Blade/Chainsword x8
~ Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Chainsword x2

Dedicated Transports

Rhino
~ x2

Razorback
~ Lascannon & Twin-linked Plasma Gun

Razorback

~ Twin-linked Lascannon or Twin-linked Heavy Botler options

Drop Pod
~ Exchangeable Storm Bolter and Deathwind Missile Launcher

Land Raider

Fast Attack

Bike Squadron
~ Marines x4
~ Plasma Gun
~ Melta Gun
~ Sergeant with Power Sword

Attack Bike Squadron
~ Marines x2
~ Exchangeable Heavy Bolter and Multi Melta

Land Speeder Squadron

~ x2
~ Typhoon Upgrade

~ All options upgrade

Heavy Support

"Tactical" Dreadnought
~ Missile Launcher, Assault Cannon, Twin-Linked Lascannon and Blood Fist options

Whirlwind

Predator
~ Annihilator pattern

Devastator Squad
~ Marines x10
~ Plasma Cannon
~ Missile Launcher
~ Heavy Bolter
~ Multi Melta
~ Sergeant with Bolt Pistol and Power Fist

Stormraven

Allies

Rarely used, but just on the off chance:

Codex Eldar
Farseer
Guardian Squad
Striking Scorpion Squad
Maugan Ra
War Walker

Codex: Grey Knights

Callidus Assassin
Vidicare Assassin

Edited by Jolemai

Within my group we can use models that have not been painted, however there is a price. The best performing model/unit of that battle is awarded the "Man of the Match" award and earns a paint job. This model/unit is now unavailable for all battles until it is painted up to at least "battle standard". This actually works quite well and has gotten those of us who slack to find the time to paint stuff.

As a full time slacker, my painting to do list is at follows:

"Fragioso" Dreadnought
Land Speeder Typhoon
Librarian (Axe model)
Razorback
Terminators (Sergeant, normal guys x3, Assault Cannon)
Whirlwind

Most of this was going to be my ETL vow, but sadly real life got well and truly in the way (moved house and I have a seven month old son) and thus I bear the Oath Breaker tag for the foreseeable future. Here is the WIP shot I had for it:

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

The current status of these is that they are awaiting highlights and detail and I will post more shots later when I find time to finish them... In the mean time, here are two photos of the last model I completed:

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=
=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Edited by Jolemai
=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

My main opposition in my group is as follows:

Orks

~ Not exactly a Mechanised force but he does love his vehicles. Could face a mix of greenskins or a "Kan list". Has the only Flyer in the group so far...

Eldar

~ Typical Biel Tan, as I often face 3-4 vehicles (Falcons & Wave Serpents) with a cargo of Aspect Warriors, usually a Guardian Squad lurking about and there's always a Farseer and an Autrach knocking around.

Imperial Guard

~ I'm yet to face this force but from what I gather it's currently a mixture of Guardsmen, Sentinels and a few tanks.

Vanilla Marines

~ Gunline of Tacticals, Devastators, Command Squad, Tanks and Dreadnoughts

Blood Angels

~ The most Vanilla Blood Angel force ever, as in Tacticals, Devastators, lots of Teminators and tanks. (Oddly no Priests, Librarians, Death Company and yet the list gets quite a few wins...)

Tyranids

~ Sadly I have yet to face this, but he has over 9k of bugs to choose from...

While I have no trouble picking a list if I know what army I'm facing, it does take me a while to do it. What this means is that I can't do pick up games with them so I have begun to try my hand at making some "all comer lists". So my I have a Death Company list ready at 1250 points and it's on the Army List Forum asking for pointers :)

Clicky

I have a 1500 point game coming up in a couple of weeks. This will be my first battle at this point level for this edition, so I would appreciate some pointers and things to look out for.

The list in question is here.

Thanks in advance :down:

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first attempt at a battle report, so any advice on the delivery or the photography would be much appreciated. Hope it doesn't bore you!

EDIT: It seems I don't really know how to use my partner's camera, so there's only the deployment picture. Sorry!

The Scene is Set...
Last weekend I used my 1500 points list in a

Edited by Jolemai
=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Small battle report to let you know about, this was fought on the 23/12/13 but I've been so busy it's taken ages to get this up. First time using this list and first time ever playing against Imperial Guard.

Blood Angels Force -

DC list in army list forum

Imperial Guard Force

Company Command squad with Commander, Master of Ordinance
and Medic.

Infantry Platoon including command squad with sniper and
Commissar, 2 Infantry squads with Autocannon and Grenade Launcher, and a Heavy
Weapon Team with 3 Autocannons.

Armoured sentinel with multi laser.

2 Leman Russ Battle Tanks

Deployment

Mission: Big guns never tire.

Five Objectives: one played in each deployment zone, the
other three pretty much in a line down the centre between the two forces.

BA get first turn.

BA deploy everything forward in the centre of the board.
Tanks at the forefront, Jumping Death company behind. The Tactical Squad is
split with the Sergeant and the Melta Gun squad in the Rhino, the Missile
Launcher squad on the right-hand side of the board into cover and on an
objective.

IG deploy all across their deployment zone. Platoons at the
front, Heavy Support next, Tanks at the back and in a central position. Command
squad start at the very back of the deployment zone.

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

First Turn

BA:

Pod drops in on the right hand flank, Dreadnought deploys in
the pod’s shadow. Tanks and DC move forward and all into cover.

Pod’s Storm Bolter kills a HS member with a snap shot, Dread
pops smoke, ML fails to penetrate a Leman Russ

IG:

No movement bar one tank getting a better firing position

Orbital Barrage hits the Black Rhino causing one HP and
claiming three jumping DC. Officer fluffs his lines for orders. Further
shooting pops the Black Rhino for First Blood. Despite the smoke the DC Dread
takes two HP and is immobilised.

BA 3:4 IG

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Second Turn

BA:

DC advance into the forest cover. Red Rhino advances along
with the DC jumpers who move into cover. Tactical squad get out of the Red
Rhino.

Pod’s Storm Bolter claims another Guardsman while the DC
Dread kills three from the HS team. Red Rhino proceeds to move another 12”
resulting in a Tank Shock on an infantry unit, a HS team (who fail their morale
test) and initiates a ram on a Leman Russ. The resulting strength 10 hit
explodes the Leman Russ (obtaining a victory point from the mission, killing
the nearby Tech Priest and causing the Servitor to run off the board) for the
loss of the Red Rhino’s Storm Bolter. The Tactical squad miss the other Leman Russ
with both their Melta shots.

DC jumpers fail charge.

IG:

All reform and there’s no further movement.

Four orders are passed. This results in the DC being removed
along with the Tactical squad. The DC Dread is also wrecked this turn. The
remaining Leman Russ shoots the DC jumpers to remove some more of them.

BA 4:4 IG

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Third Turn

BA:

Red Rhino Tank Shocks a further two units, a move which
seems the Platoon Command fail it’s leadership test and the Commissar
performing a Summary Execution on the Sergeant. DC jumpers again move forward.

Red Rhino moves flat out again Tank Shocking another two
units and ramming the Sentinel. This time the rhino gets immobilised for no
damage on the Sentinel. Further shooting is minimal.

DC jumpers again fail their charge and loose two of their
numbers to Overwatch fire.

IG:

Once again everything regroups and there’s no movement.

Shooting kills all DC jumpers apart from Astorath.

BA 4:4 IG

Fourth Turn

BA:

With only Astorath left and a combat squad who are objective
sitting, there is nothing remaining to stop the Guard collecting the remaining
objectives, so the BA concede the game.

Post Match Analysis

Made a few blunders during the game. With hindsight I should have deployed to the right (my right) of the Bastion to get more cover and perhaps placed my Pod on the IGs leftmost (my far right) flank. I also should have been more careful with the DC jumpers and jumped them more often rather than walking and hoping for a decent Hammer of Wrath. Still, it was a learning curve.

For the list I will probably drop Lemartes to get in two attack bikes and another DC, but I'm also pondering dropping the Rhinos for Bolter/Flamerbacks seeing as I'm only using six spaces maximum in the tanks. I'm also going to persist with the DC Dreadnought. While I know that a Furioso would probably give me better results, (for now) this is the only time I would get to use my DC Dreadnought :whistling:

Happy to take on board any thoughts :smile.: Next battle report will be a 15k Apocalypse match fought this weekend (2nd & 3rd February). BA (two armies) and IG versus foul xenos scum (Orks, Dark Eldar) and treacherous scum (Chaos and Vanillas)

Edited by Jolemai

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my most recent WIP. That's as far as they go for the moment though as I'm on a painting break now whilst I'm doing up my house. The other night I was applying Skull White to the ceiling...

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Edited by Jolemai
=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Looking great so far! A great blog :D

Loving the 2nd edition look to some of your stuff, I'm a sucker for those old rhinos :D I'm actually saving up for the forgeworld kit to convert a new rhino into an old one :P

Did you en joy painting Azaroth? He's an interestinf figure!

I learnt to play and paint in the second edition, so it's easier to paint stuff in a similar vein as I can avoid going back and stripping everything. I even use a white undercoat for them... As for those old Rhinos, the worst part is painting the tracks and I've still got the good old paper banner to add :)

Astorath is certainly interesting to do. I used a similar technique on Mephiston so it's nice to repeat it, I just need to find the time to get it done now :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Army Lists- 1750 points

Blood Angels

1750 BA List

Chaos Space Marines

Chaos Lord in TDA with MoN and Chainfist
Teminators with MoN
Forgefiend
Helldrake
Two squads of Cultists
Level 3 Sorceror
Two squads of CSM
Havocs with Autocannons

Deployment

The Scouring,
Dawn of War deployment
Six objectives of the following value; marine objective: 2, D10: 1, large black die: 2, twig objective: 3, D4: 4, D20: 3
Central building is difficult terrain to move through and offers a 4+ save. There are six ruins around it that offer a 5+ save and count as difficult terrain inside their boundary.
BA gets first turn and deploy aggressively, but out of sight. The Scouts are left in reserve along with the Pod and the Tacticals and Scouts are split into Combat Squads. Tactical (1) has the special weapon and Sergeant, Tactical (2) has the heavy weapon. Scout (1) has the Sergeant, Scout (2) has the heavy weapons. Chaos deploy in ruin cover and quite deep on the battlefield with the Havocs, Forgefiend and Sorceror + CSM (1) on the short board edge, Cultists (1) in the centre and CSM (2) in the ruin on the long board edge. Terminators, Helldrake and Cultists (2) left in reserve.
Of note in the Warlord traits and psychic powers, Mephiston can score objectives and the Sorceror rolls Hallucinogen.

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T1

BA

All Tanks advance towards the centre building with most remaining out of sight of the Havocs and Forgefiend. Mephiston and the Furioso Librarian pass their Wings rolls to keep up. The Drop Pod lands next to the Sorceror and CSM (A) and unleashes the Death Company.
Shooting phase sees very little other than a traitor in CSM (2) melted by an Attack Bike’s Multi Melta.

CSM

The Sorceror casts Hallucinogen on the Death Company resulting in one death as the squad start beating each other up
The Sorceror and CSM (1) move towards the Death Company while Cultists (1) move toward the centre building. Everything else holds firm.
Four DC die to the combined firepower from the Havocs and CSM (1). The Furioso Librarian successfully uses Shield to nullify all shooting on the Tanks from CSM (2) and the Forgefiend.
Sorceror and CSM (1) charge the DC and kill four; however they lose five in return to lose the combat leaving the DC with the Power Weapon alive. CSM (1) then fails its leadership test and are run down by the DC thus awarding first blood to the BA!

BA 1: 0 CSM

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T2

BA

Again the Tanks of the BA advance up the board and they are accompanied by two Librarians propelled by Wings of psychic might. The Scouts enter the field with the Sniper Rifle-armed Scouts (2) entering on the short board edge next to the black objective and the combat Scouts (1) outflanking further up the field. Half of the Tactical Squad (2) disembark from the Black Rhino and head towards the central building.
The Predator explodes the Forgefiend while other shooting kills a Cultist and a Marine from CSM (2). Both the Scouts Squads (1&2) and Tactical Squad (2) run towards objectives.
The lone DC charges the Havocs managing to kill two. The Havocs pass their test and the fight goes on for another turn. Both Librarians attempt to charge CSM (2) with only the Furioso Librarian making it. Despite killing three the Aspiring Champion plants a Melta Bomb on the Dreadnoughts legs which manages to immobilise it.

CSM

Terminators teleport on behind the Tanks near to the objectives and turn their attentions towards Scouts (1). Cultists (2) enter on the long board edge and so does the Helldrake. However it fails to successfully vector strike the Red Rhino.
The Helldrakes’ Baleflamer spews forth killing an Attack Bike and putting a wound on Mephiston while the Terminators shred Scouts (1) with their firepower.
Combat sees the DC kill another Havoc which is enough to break the squad and run them down.

BA 1:0 CSM

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T3

BA

The Predator and Red continue to move up and surround the immobilised Librarian Dreadnought while the DC and Mephiston moved towards Cultists (2). Black Rhino heads towards Cultists (1).
Some pot shots were taken at the Helldrake but they failed to hit. Tactical (2) unloaded on the Terminators but they held firm. Other shooting sees a few Cultists in squad (2) perish and the Black Rhino performs a Tank Shock on Cultists (1) causing them to flee.
The DC and Mephiston charge Cultists (2) with the lone DC member perishing to overwatch fire. Once in combat their leader issues a challenge to Mephiston who accepts by removing the Cultist’s head with one blow. This causes Cultists (2) to break and they are run down.

CSM

Little movement other than the Helldrake arcing towards the long BA board edge and performing a tame vector strike on the Tactical squad (2) that afforded no kills. CSM (2) moved back into the ruin where the Librarian Dreadnought was.
Terminators kill two Marines from Tactical (2) prove to be the highlight of this shooting phase.
In combat CSM (2) wreck the Predator while the Terminators easily dispatch their Imperial opponents.

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T4

BA

Mephiston on the Attack Bike move towards CSM (2) in the long board edge ruin while Black Rhino heads into the CSM deployment zone and manages to immobilise itself on a barricade...
This round sees fire poured onto Cultists (1) and CSM (2) who respectively lose five models and their Aspiring Champion. The Terminators also take a wound from the RAS in Red Rhino.
In combat Mephiston easily dispatches CSM (2).

CSM

Terminators advance towards the Red Rhino and Mephiston while Cultists (1) head back towards their short board edge and the nearby objective. The Helldrake continues its flight path again arcing another 90 ° and heading towards the CSM deployment zone.
Little happened in the shooting phase other than Red Rhino losing its Stormbolter from Terminator fire – Shield stopped most of the damage once again.
The Terminators proceed to charge and wreck Red Rhino, with her passengers disembarking as far away from them as possible.

BA 1: 0 CSM

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T5

BA

With the remaining Attack Bike heading towards an objective on a nearby board edge the RAS, their VIPs and Mephiston move towards the CSM short board edge and away from the Terminators. Tactical (1) disembark from Black Rhino to secure a nearby adjective and Scout (1) jump out of cover and head towards their nearby objective.
Little happens in the shooting phase other than Mephiston shooting dead a Terminator while combined Bolter fire purges the land of the remaining Cultists.

CSM

The Helldrake arcs once more towards the CSM long board edge and tries to vector strike the Drop Pod, however it only manages a glance. The Terminators advance towards the RAS.
Terminator shooting results in five RAS deaths and this is enough to break the squad, who flee to the long BA board edge.
The Terminators attempt a charge on the RAS which causes them to run again.

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T6

BA

The RAS rally and embark in the nearby Black Rhino for protection. Mephiston continues towards the short CSM board edge to secure an objective, while Tactical (1), the remaining Attack Bike and Scouts (1) do the same.
Tactical (1) spy the rear armour of the nearby Helldrake and with no other targets the open fire. The Sergeant decides to use his one melta round and with a roll of six this hits the Helldrake and causes it to be Vector locked.

CSM

The Helldrake flies off the board to award a mission victory point (FA units score and award VPs for destroyed ones). The Terminators head towards Scouts (1).
The final phase of the game sees the remaining Terminators perforate the Scouts to cleanse that objective.

Final Score – BA 10:0 CSM

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Edited by Jolemai
=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Army Lists

1250 points

Blood Angels

1250 DC List

Chaos Space Marines

Chaos Lord in TDA with MoN and Chainfist
Forgefiend
Helldrake
Level 3 Sorceror
Two squads of CSM
Havocs with Autocannons

Deployment

Emperor’s Will,
Dawn of War deployment
Two objectives, one placed in the courtyard of the central building, the other outside but near to the CSM corner.
Central Building offers a 4+ save and is difficult terrain. There are six ruins around the outside that offer a 5+ save and are difficult terrain inside their boundaries.
CSM deploy first and go first. The Havocs, Forgefiend and CSM (2) with the sorcerer deploy near the CSM short board edge. CSM (A) and the lord deploy aggressively targeting the far objective. The Helldrake starts in reserve. BA deploy in cover and again, aggressively with their tanks, DC jumpers and Attack Bikes. The Tactical Squad is split into Tactical (A) with the sergeant and the special weapon, while Tactical (2) contains the heavy weapon. Tactical (A) starts the game inside the Plaserback. The DC Dread starts in reserve along with half of the Tactical Squad (2).
Of note in the Warlord traits and psychic powers the Sorceror rolls Hallucinogen.

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T1

CSM

The Forgefiend moves into a better firing position while CSM (A) advance towards the courtyard objective.
No shooting so CSM (A) run towards the objective.
BA
The Drop Pod lands in the Courtyard between the objective and the encroaching CSM (A). The Tanks, and Attack Bikes move forward towards the backfield CSM forces. The DC jumpers move to reinforce the DD Dread.
The Forgefiend is immbolised following a volley from the Plaserback while two CSM in (A) die from combined Bolter fire.

CSM 1:0 BA

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T2

CSM

The Forgefiend recovers it’s HP and the Helldrake moves on from the long CSM board edge and makes a vector strike on the Attack Bikes, killing one. CSM (A) slowly moved through the central building.
The Forgefiend took a HP off the Plaserback while the Helldrake managed to kill one DC member and knock a HP off the Bolterback. With little in sight, the Havocs draw a bead on the Drop Pod and proceed to knock off a HP.
CSM (A) fail their charge on the DC Dreadnought.

BA

Tactical (2) move on from the long board edge, perpendicular to the Havocs but out of sight. The Razorbacks and the Attack Bike move towards the Forgefiend while the DC jumpers and the DC Dread enter the complex and move towards CSM (A).
The Plaserback explodes the Forgefiend (Firstblood) in an otherwise uneventful shooting phase.
The DC Dread and the DC enter combat with CSM (A) and the CSM Lord challenges Astorath to mortal combat. Astortath, with his Executioner’s Axe needs 3s to wound and will cause the CSM lord to re-roll his passed invulnerable saves, the CSM lord needs 2s to squish Astorath with his Chainfist and they both hit at the same time. Together the dice are rolled and the CSM lord fails his saves. Astorath however also fails his Rosarius save and they both perish in cinematic fashion. (1 VP each for Slay the Warlord) In the meantime, the DC have torn CSM (A) to pieces, for only one loss.

CSM 2-2 BA

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T3

CSM

The only movement is the Helldrake arcing around once move to face the long BA board edge.
The Helldrake then burns two DC, but there’s little other shooting.

BA

The tanks move towards the two remaining squads, with the DC and the Dreadnought doing the same. The DC jumpers are now only a few inches from CSM (2). The Attack Bike lines up a shot on the Helldrake by moving into short range...
The Attack Bike hits the Helldrake with its Multi Melta knocking off a hit point and causing it to be stunned. However the Daemonic possession nullifies this. The DC jumpers who are very close CSM (2) fire upon their enemies and also toss a Frag Grenade which actually manages to kill one CSM. The DC Dread uses its Smoke Launchers in case it fails it’s charge...
CSM (2) are sat on a mysterious objective that halves charge distance. This is used to good effect to halt the DC Dreadnought, but it’s not enough to stop the DC jumpers assaulting. Overwatch fire resulted in more CSM deaths as the Plasma Gun overheated and the DC themselves caused one casualty. However the CSM got their own back and wiped out they oppressors.

CSM 2:2 BA

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T4

CSM

The Helldrake arcs again and heads towards the short CSM board edge.
The Havocs fail to harm the DC Dreadnought while the Helldrake flames two Marines from Tactical (2).

BA

The tanks again move forward with the Plaserback becoming immobilised on the terrain. The second squad of DC hop out of the Bolterback and the Attack Bikes continues chasing the Helldrake. Tactical (2) moves towards the CSM deployment zone.
One CSM dies to combined fire while one Havoc dies to tank fire.
With nothing to stop it this time the DC Dreadnought enters the ruins to fight off the CSM there. Despite losing two HPs to Krak Grenades on the way in, the DC Dreadnought proceeds to wipe the squad and leave the Sorceror on one wound. However it then breaks and is run down beneath the rampaging Dreadnought.

CSM 1:2 BA

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T5

CSM

As dusk approaches and the night fight rules come into effect the Helldrake moves towards the CSM long board edge.
The Helldrake then fries one DC member while the Havocs destroy Tactical (2).

BA

Again, everything moves forward while Tactical (A) disembark onto an objective.
Everything shoots the Havocs, but only one dies.
DC Dreadnought fails to charge the Havocs.

CSM 1:3 BA

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

T6

CSM

Hell Drake moves around once more
The Havocs again fluff their lines but the Helldrake flames all the remaining Tactical Marines.

BA

Again, everything moves forward towards the Havocs
Following shooting only two Havocs remain alive.
The DC Dreadnought gets into combat but receives a Krak Grenade as it charges through cover, which ends its participation for the evening.

CSM 1:2BA

T7

CSM

The Helldrake recovers its HP before moving towards the Bolterback. It procedds to vector strike the Plaserback which wrecks it.
The shooting phase sees four DC die to the Helldrakes Baleflamer while the Bolterback is also destroyed.

BA

With very little left the remaining DC moves towards the Havocs
The Attack Bike kills a Havoc to leave two models left alive per side.

Final Score – CSM 1:2 BA

For the last two battle reports, please forgive the use of second edition card scenery and the carpets!

Edited by Jolemai
=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

• 3 weeks later...

Latest version of my DC list is now up for critique. Basically I'm trying to optimise the list as best I can as an "all comer list" so it's likely to go through a few versions...

Sadly painting-wise the only thing I've done of note is applying Skull White to a ceiling in my home. Really starting to crave painting something (especially as my Drop Pod needs starting and Plaserback need finishing) but I can never seem to find the time :sad.:

Edited by Jolemai

Got a Stormraven yesterday for a very good price, so obviously I have tweaked my lists to include it. Some C&C on my 1500 and 1750 lists would be much appreciated.

On the painting side, when I first joined B&C I saw someone do a really impressive interior for the Stormraven using Bleached Bone as the primary colour (think the inside of an Imperial Destroyer at the start of Star Wars: A New Hope). What is a good recipe for painting Bone on a large scale?

• 4 months later...

Blood Angels Vs Eldar 2k

Army Lists
2000 points

Blood Angels
Mephiston
Librarian (Lv1) with Shield of Sanguinius and Fear of the Darkness
Furioso Dreadnought in “Fragioso” configuration with Drop Pod
Corbulo
Assault Squad (RAS) with Melta weaponry and Razorback with Heavy Bolter (Bolterback)
RAS with Plasma weaponry and Razorback with Lascannon * Twin-linked Plasma Gun (Plaserback)
Death Company with Land Raider
Scouts with Sniper Rifles and Heavy Bolter
2 x Attack Bike with Multi Melta
Land Speeder with two Heavy Bolters
Predator in “Autolas” configuration
Stormraven Gunship

Eldar
Farseer (Lv3)
Spirit Seer (Lv2)
Seer Council consisting of two Warlocks. One is sent to the Guardians, the remaining joins up with the Farseer.
Fire Dragons with Exarch
Howling Banshees with Exarch
Striking Scorpions with Exarch
2 x Dire Avengers with Exarch
Guardian Defenders with Scatter Laser
Wraithguard
Hemlock Wraithfighter
Falcon Grav tank
Wraithknight

Deployment
Big Guns Never Tire, Vanguard deployment, three objectives
Farseer rolls Doom, Guide and Mindwar
Spirit Seer rolls Destructor/Renewer and Conceal/Reveal
Both Guardians roll Conceal/Reveal
Both Warlord Traits are a waste of time

The Eldar deploy in a line with the Wraithguard quite central. To their left are the Banshees, Avengers (DA1) and the Wraithknight. To the right of the Wraithguard are Guardians, the Falcon containing the Fire dragons and the other Avenger squad (DA2). The Spirit Seer is with the Wraithguard while the Farseer and Warlock are just behind them.The Hemlock is in reserve. Once the Blood Angels have deployed the Striking Scorpions set up in the middle of the board. The Eldar are due to first turn...

In response the Blood Angels castle up behind the ruin with the Land Raider and the Predator at the forefront. Behind the Land Raider is the Bolterback that contains the Librarian and the Melta RAS (LRAS) while behind the Predator is the Plaserback that contains Corbulo and the Plasma RAS (CRAS). Mephiston is deployed in the middle of all four tanks while the Attack Bikes are just to the flank of the Plaserback. All are within 6” of the Bolterback and the Fragioso, Land Speeder and Stormraven (who is giving the Scouts a ride) are in reserve.

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn one
BA
~ Blood Angels steal the initiative! CRAS has Red Thirst.
~ The Drop Pod lands near DA1 and unloads the Fragioso. All tanks advance towards the central ruin while the bikes move up the BA right flank. Mephiston follows behind the tanks.
~ The Fragioso kills nine of DA1 with the Drop Pod killing the last for First Blood. The bikes turbo boost into the Eldar deployment zone whilst the remaining firepower knock two wounds off the Wraithknight.

Eldar
~ The Spirit Seer casts Renewer on the Wraithknight, restoring a wound, and then casts conceal on the Wraithguard. The Farseer casts Guide on the Wraithknight and both Warlocks cast Conceal.
~ All advance, with the Scorpions and Falcon heading towards the Land Raider and Bolterback.
~ Shield works however the Wraithknight knocks two wounds of Mephiston, the Falcon knocks a HP off the Fragioso and everything else runs. The Guardians are now sitting on an objective.
~ Scorpions fail a charge on the the Land Raider
VP – E:3, BA:1

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn Two
BA
~ Land Speeder Deep Strikes in behind the Falcon. The Death Company disembark from the Land Raider and advance towards the Scorpions. The Bikes and Fragioso continue to more along the Eldar deployment zone while Mephiston moves out of sight of the Wraithknight. No tanks move.
~ Three wounds are dealt on the Wraithknight, two Scorpions die to small arms fire and three Banshees also perish. The Land Speeder misses its six Heavy Bolter shots on the Falcon’s rear armour...
~ The Death Company butcher the Scorpions for one loss.

Eldar
~The Wraithknight regains another wound from the Sprit Seer’s Renewer and the Wraithguard are again concealed. The DC are Doomed while the Wraithguard are Guided and both Warlocks again use Conceal successfully.
~ The Fire Dragon’s disembark to swat the Land Speeder, the Wraithknight shuffles away from the oncoming Bikes while the Banshees and DA2 advance.
~ The Dragons explode the Land Speeder and the Falcon explodes the Fragioso. The Banshees kill two DC while the Wraithknight kills a further three.
~ The remaining DC are wiped in combat by the Banshees.
VP – E:3, BA:1

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn Three
BA
~ The Stormraven enters play and moves alongside the tanks on the right flank. All tanks move towards the left away from the Wraithguard while the Bikes continue towards the Wraithknight.
~ The Raven knocks a wound off the Wraithknight and kills three Banshees. The Raider explodes the Falcon (for one VP) which takes two dragons with it and knocks a wound off the Spirit Seer. The Predator leaves the Wraithknight on one wound while remaining fire removes a further three Banshees and three Guardians.

Eldar
~ Renewer again restores a wound on the Wraithknight but at the expense of the Seer’s remaining wound (Perils of the Warp). Doom fails but Guide is again placed on the Wraithguard and the Warlocks cast Conceal once more.
~ The Hemlock enters and heads towards the BA tanks while the Dragons and Wraithguard head towards the Bikes. The Banshees move toward Mephiston while DA2 continue their advance.
~ The Bike is killed by the Wraithguard and Mephiston is sucked into the warp by the Hemlock’s Heavy D-Scythe for Kill the Warlord. Combined fire wrecks the Bolterback while everything else runs, all this despite Shield working.
VP – E:4, BA:2

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn Four
BA
~As the Raven advances towards the Wraithknight, the Scouts jump out and head towards a nearby objective. LRAS embark inside the Raider and all tanks advance again.
~ Combined fire finally kills the Wraithknight (1 VP), on Wraithguard is destroyed whilst the Farseer goes to ground. The Scouts run onto their objective.

Eldar
~ Both Guardians cast Conceal while the Farseer Guides the Wraithguard once more. Both the Wraithguard and the Dragons head towards the BA tanks.
~ Shield fails to cast. Combined fire from the Dragons and the Wraithguard explode the Predator (1VP).
VP – E:5, BA:6

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

Turn Five
BA
~ LRAS exit the Raider while the Plaserback heads towards the third objective and CRAS disembark. The Raven heads towards the remaining Eldar blob.
~ The Raven kills six from DA2 and one Guardian while the remaining firepower kill three Wraithguard and four Dragons

Eldar
~ LRAS is Doomed and both Guardians successfully cast Conceal again.
~ DA2 and the Guardians tuck more into cover around their objective. The remaining Banshee moves towards the Scout’s objective while the Hemlock and Wraithguard advance on CRAS.
~ Banshee runs into range to contest the Scout objective, DA2 run towards LRAS and following Shield failing to cast, four die to Shurikan fire from both DA2 and the Farseer. The Hemlock takes out one from CRAS while the Wraithguard snipe Corbulo.
VP – E:5, BA:6

=][= IMAGE REDACTED =][=

However it should have been different as the Eldar player thought contesting was 6” so we called it a draw...

Edited by Jolemai

So, mistakes from being rusty:

~ Drop Pod firing at full BS on the turn it arrives

~ Having a moment where I confused template with blast for cover saves

~ Forgetting about Corbulo's re-roll when that Heavy D-scythe rolled a 6 to wound on Mephiston!

~ Playing far too defensively. Basically I showed too much respect to the Wraithknight and Wraithguard and cowered when I should have pressed forward. I basically wasted Mephiston's points

~ Probably should have put the Pod on the other side but was influenced by the Fire Dragons in the Falcon. This meant the Fragioso was quickly cut off after doing it's job.

~ While I kept the Scouts alive by dropping them in late to collect an objective, they didn't really shoot or do anything else. Maybe I should have started them?

~ Far too cheeky with the Land Speeder!

Thanks for posting. I hadn't realized how much I missed your battle reports until reading another one. Almost makes me missed that days I used to play BA over my precious IG (more big guns, what can I say?)

Question: Do you feel that Mephiston is still competitive in the current environment with his force weapon being AP3?

Thanks for your reply, it's nice to know that at least someone is reading this :teehee:

As for Mephiston, I certainly do believe that he still has what it takes. He just needs a bit more support now than he used to - especially if he has to go against 2+ armies (in which case stick him in a challenge and let his support chew away at the unit). Don't forget to fire his Plasma Pistol either!

Terminators and their ilk are best brought down by, imo, weight of numbers and if you get enough attacks in they will fail that save eventually. This is why I still like Chaplains/Lemartes as they can still do damage when needed - it's just a pity that many of my lists have moved away from them as I try other things.

Edited by Jolemai

As of September 1st this is my current painting todo list:

The following need to be battle ready:

1 x Razorback *

1 x Death Company Dreadnought *

1 x Stormraven *

1 x Terminator Squad *

1 x Scout Squad *

The following need to be completed:

1 x Razorback *

2 x Librarian

1 x Astorath

1 x Furioso Dreadnought

1 x Land Speeder

1 x Drop Pod

1 x Death Company squad

1 x Scout Squad

1 x Whirlwind

... where an asterisk denotes what needs to be done before I can field them next, as part of my group's rules. Of course, this is before I consider the stuff that's not been started yet. Looks like I've got a busy few months of painting before my regular winter Apocalypse where we have decided that we can only use painted stuff to keep the points down!

Edited by Jolemai