Black Legion Heldrake (Call of Chaos VII)

Fatespinner

This is just the beginning of my vow for this year's "Call of Chaos".  It will be the WIP thread for the Black Legion Heldrake I have vowed.  For now, said Heldrake is still in a box:

Black Legion Heldrake (Box Edition)

More to come!  I plan to get started on this project probably later next week.  You can see my previous work here.  This will be my SECOND unit to finally get painted for my growing Black Legion army.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, my first full day home with no work since my last update, so now I can finally get down to business.  Today I began the assembly and painting of my Chaos Marine Heldrake and so far I'm pretty happy with my results.  It's a long, arduous build and I expect it'll take me several more marathon sessions to finish it but today is a strong start!

Stage One Chassis Assembly Rear

Stage One Chassis Assembly Front

Stage One Chassis Assembly Side

Stage One of the build was to simply assemble the chassis itself and get the paint scheme nailed down.  I primed with Citadel Chaos Black Primer, base coated in Abaddon Black, then applied Runelord Brass to the details on the metal edges.  The Legion insignia built into the shoulder plates of the model were done in Sun Yellow (from Reaper Core Colors) while the "fleshy parts" are a combination of basecoated Naggaroth Nightshade and Genestealer Purple.  The spine (which I'm particularly proud of) was base coated in White Scar, layered over with Kislev Flesh, and highlighted further with a bit more White Scar before getting a Agrax Earthshade wash.

Stage Two Head/Neck Assembly Wide Angle

Stage Two Head/Neck Assembly Left

Stage Two Head/Neck Assembly Right

Stage Two was the assembly of the head and neck.  This part was actually much trickier than I thought it would be given there are only five pieces involved.  I decided to go with the Baleflamer on this model because it provided more interesting color opportunities.  The cables conducting the prometheum fuel into the drake's head are painted in distinctive Mephiston Red while the other cables are brushed with Runefang Steel.  The base metal, of course, is more Abaddon Black and Runelord Brass while the fleshy coverings and the inside of the mouth are Naggaroth and Genestealer for highlights.

This took me about 8 hours of near-continuous work (I did stop for about an hour to eat in there somewhere) but I'm ready to call it a day for now.  Hopefully I'll get more time to work on it this week.  Stay tuned!

• 5 months later...

Heeeeeyyyyyyy!!! I totally forgot about this thread.  So... about two months ago, I finally finished this guy (too late for the CoC VII deadline, I know) and here's the completed pics:

Completed Side

Completed Top

This was easily one of the most difficult (and most rewarding) paint jobs I've ever done.  I think the final result looks great!

Archived