The Legion For You: Part Two, Electric Boogaloo!

Slips

Or, and this is what I planned to do at some point, is paint them up as Luna Wolves, use the SoH rules, and run Loken as your HQ. The SoH rules are perfectly fine for running a LW based army and that includes using the Warmaster and their special units imo.

Oh Loken, I'd love to but would be hard to find a suitable narrative to include him into where I'm going with my Wolves without making some serious continuity errors. :(

And for the Arch Traitor, nevah!  

That feel when both the legions you love are red.

You also can't picture any other Mechanicum than the glorious martian red.

And you like Custodes which have a lot of red too.

The burn out can be REAL.

What about the Cohort of the Vision Angelic? They're mostly black with red accents.

Heya guys so i've got 30 mk3 tav (from BoP) and i was wondering what to do with it .

I'm hesitating between UM (full breacher with power sword plus suzerain and some tacs) and IF (colour scheme and shields everywhere)

For the UM i particularly love the roman side of this legion but i dont know much of its lore and for IF i dont know much toi actually i Just like the way their models look.

Im having thaughts on deathguard too.

Do You think a little force of one of thèse légions could be fun to play without vehicles ?

And one last question , does the phalanx upgrade set fit on mk3?

Hey folks, 

So, I've been meaning to dive into the heresy for a little bit, bought some stuff to start an Imperial Fists army about 6 months ago and then life happened.

Anyway, I'm finally back at hobbying and wanting to commit to a legion. Some of the fluff I've read about the imperial fists have turned me off them a bit but they aren't off the table completely (basically when I started I was under the impression that they were basically yellow Ultramarines; I have some issues with most of the characters in the Legion, particularly with Sigismund and Dorn.)

So I'm looking to start a legion that is a mobile Infantry (aka not a gunline) and Tank focused with some flyer support. The key is that I really want a primarch that can wreck face in melee and was a loyalist. They don't necessarily have to have rules yet as from what I've seen FW have been fairly good at making the rules for them suit the fluff.

The legions I've been looking at so far include:

Imperial Fists: One of the legions that best fits my description, minus the kickass primarch. But someone convince me that Sigismund wasn't a coward when refusing to lead the fleet to Phall. Or that Dorn isn't a scornful prick

Blood angels: really like Sanguinius, but it seems to me like the tank part of this legion would be left at home.

Ultramarines: Also makes sense for my desires for a legion. However, while the blue looks fantastic on marines I find it dull on things like flyers and tanks. If there's anyway way to break it up I'm all ears.

Iron Hands: really like the idea of a implacable advance, and their no nonsense approach to battle but being a salty prick I'm not sure if I want to have everyone opponent I meet tell me that I need to magnetize Ferrus' head.

Last thing is I'm a sucker for the good guys, Loyalists only.

I'm open to other suggestions as well as I'm nowhere near as well versed in the fluff or rules of 30k as most of the folks here.

Input is hugely appreciated! 

Edited by OatFriend

iron hands are the best loyalist tank Legion but I dislike them for the same reason I want to use ferrus bit he'd be dead every actual game of the hersey.

Ultramarines can be broken up with large white regions which look but are a pain to paint cause white sucks. Also gold stuff defintely helps and fits in well.

Blood angels tanks are currently good cause asscannons but honestly day of revalations will be the fluffy way and that's flyers only though the angel will be a boss for sure.

Imperial fists are cool I actually like Sigsmund and Dorn and both are very good fighters especially after Dorn had unwieldy exchanged for reaping blow (I also like the idea of lots of shield terminators and templars)

I feel like you'd like ultramarines just using whites and gold to break up the solid blue (inverse world eaters scheme with shiny stuff) guilliman is a monster and you can even get scoring tanks if you want through him making it super viable to go double Sicaran or something of the sort.

In terms of the other loyalists

Raven Guard can run takes well but I don't really see them do that fluff wise.

Salamanders love tanks they get saves against melta bombs even and vulkan while he doesn't kill tons of models he smashes characters like no bodies business and good luck killing the monster.

The Wolves Russ is a monster probably the best loyalist in terms of combat prowess (sanguins lion khan unknown obviously). The Wolves can also run tanks in the same vein as standard legions.

Dark angles have a tank list the Ironwing which is a row about take armour so that defintely fits and I expect the lion to be no chump either.

The scars are more about bikes but they actually run vehicle support really well and the khan should be close to Loyalist fulgrim.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

Thanks Purge for the response, I've looked at Salamanders but my best bud is collecting them currently and the whole 'basically never going to sweep' thing is a huge deterrent. Really awesome fluff though. 

I'll have to have a look at project blogs for ultramarine armies. It's a good idea to break up the monotony of the blue with white and gold. 

I also already have the Sigismund model, which is really part of why the fists are still on the table. I also found a package of the black templar shields that forgeworld does. Only thing is that they are covered in purity seals, which I'm led to believe were not a thing in 30k at all. 

I'll have to look into the Dark Angels, but are they as 'keep it secret, keep it safe' nonsense in 30k as they are in 40k? I get that the Fallen don't exist yet, but I'm super unfamiliar with Heresy DA fluff.

Thanks Purge for the response, I've looked at Salamanders but my best bud is collecting them currently and the whole 'basically never going to sweep' thing is a huge deterrent. Really awesome fluff though.

I'll have to have a look at project blogs for ultramarine armies. It's a good idea to break up the monotony of the blue with white and gold.

I also already have the Sigismund model, which is really part of why the fists are still on the table. I also found a package of the black templar shields that forgeworld does. Only thing is that they are covered in purity seals, which I'm led to believe were not a thing in 30k at all.

I'll have to look into the Dark Angels, but are they as 'keep it secret, keep it safe' nonsense in 30k as they are in 40k? I get that the Fallen don't exist yet, but I'm super unfamiliar with Heresy DA fluff.

I haven't read to much DA stuff aside form when they work with the wolves but much less secretive over all but they also don't play the biggest role in the hersey but do have massive conflicts like the rangdan xenocide.

So with regards to this, FW managed to shoehorn the original genesis of the Black Templars into 30k as the Templar Brethren, who guard the Temple of Oaths aboard Phalanx, and while rules-wise they're not TDA-equipped, nothing stops you from having an army that's themed towards the Templars as a whole. At the same time, all the purity seals we know and love from 40k can just be used as their 30k equivalent, the oath of moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah my first ever post so be gentle with me brothers and sisters. I have a primary force of custodes and I am looking for some legion support, my force is based in the crusade era so everyone is loyal with the exception of maybe the wordbearers, so my question is which legion would complement my custodes the most?

Ah my first ever post so be gentle with me brothers and sisters. I have a primary force of custodes and I am looking for some legion support, my force is based in the crusade era so everyone is loyal with the exception of maybe the wordbearers, so my question is which legion would complement my custodes the most?

Luna Wolves.

Demonl, Luna Wolves are actualy one of the legions I am most taken with I love their colours and the extra BS at rapidfire range looks good in the crunch, I was also thinking of Imperial Fists and Emperors Children. The Fists for the crunch and also I could still use them later on in the heresy and Emps Children as I think purple would look great next to my golden bannanna boys, thoughts?

Whats the best army for Tanks? Iron hands its a given, but a friend already has them. 

Ran

Iron Warriors, probably. Not as mean as Iron Hands under Head of the Gorgon, but you score tons of points for fluff. You can make a mean mechanized Ironfire list, and Hammer of Olympia grants bonuses to tanks and an extra Heavy slot. You can also swap Heavy Bolters to Shrapnel ammo for pinning, which is nice on something like a Sicaran where you get a hull-mount heavy bolter and may as well take the option.

Otherwise, Dark Angels have an Ironwing Rite of War that's very armour-centric, and also buffs Dreadnoughts.

Ultramarines can do some mean things if you're running a lot of one type of tank and Guilliman...

Beyond that I'd just start naming Legions or parts of Legions that are known for armoured warfare (Alpha Legion, Word Bearer's Graven Star, etc), but receive no in-game benefits. There's a lot of that.

I have BA 40k with toys for 30k so I am set for BA...

Looking to spend the rest of the resign; I would like to get something different than BA 40/30k 

Atm moment I am toying with idea of going for WB (love the weird stuff) - SoH (love the evil side) - UM (cross 30/40k and the suzerian looks awesome)

Thank you,

~BT

Hi all

I'm quite new to  30k and I would like to receive advice from you on what legion to start

First of all forgive my bad english :(

Right now i have the following models:

-30 space marine MK3(love them)

-5 Tartaros Terminator

-Fellblade box

I'd like to buy also from Forgeworld The Thanatar Calix Siege Automata

Can i use all the above models?In which Legion?

Thank you

First of all welcome!

The first three things are usable for all legions.

I don't think it is possible to use the Thanatar in a Legion list without resorting to allies. If you want to include a allied mechanicum detachment in your army then you can use it with basically any legion.

So the important question is, what legions do you like? (considering fluff, modells etc.) Or what are you looking for in your legion?

Thank you for the reply!

Considering the fluff i like in the same way 3 legion

-Imperial Fist

-Iron Hands

-Blackshield(they are not a real legion right?love the bg of this guys)

May i take Domitar/Castellax or they require also an allied mechanicum detachment?

Edit:i also have a Contemptor Dread

Edited by mechanicus88

Alright so I'm a heresy vet and I'm coming here to ask for where I should go next.

I already have a sizable iron hands force. A little over 4000 points. The problem is I don't have much diversity in the army and I usually have to run similar lists every time I play.

At the same time, a few other armies have caught my eye: Dark Angels, Thousand Sons, and Solar Auxilia.

So my question is, do I:

1.) Expand my IH to make them more diverse? I'm not really feeling this option but maybe expanding them will help me enjoy playing just one legion more?

2.) Get Dark Angels. I absolutely love their fluff and the knight theme. Downsides are I'm not really excited to paint more black, and the legion lacks any special units or characters as of now. Also if I were to do DA I'd prefer them to be Mk.II, which is more expensive than the two plastic ones we have available to us.

3.) Get thousand sons. I don't know too much but I'd like to know more about them. As of now I want them more for a gaming aspect. Their rules seem very strong and I'd like to model them in plastic Mk.4 which is cheaper. Also painting something other than black would be nice.

4.) Get Solar Auxilia. They're something completely different that I've never done before. Ive always played marines so I dont know if I'd like the change. Their rules look fun and the models are beautiful. I'm sure I'd enjoy modeling and painting them but its risky.

THERE'S SO MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE!

Edited by ShadowCore67

• 2 weeks later...

ShadowCore67 if you go for Solar Auxilia you could play them as the chain veil alongside your Iron Hands, just a thought.

I could use some advice the only colour I can paint to a standard that I am really happy with is black, so I am looking to start a black legion (not that one). So that gives me Raven Guard who's fluff I don't realy like (and eurgh Corax), Iron Hands who I love, but I would always be comparing mine to Apologist or Luna707 's with envy in my Eyes and an emptyness in my soul knowing I will never be up to their standard:biggrin.: . Which leaves  the Dark Angels I love their mystery, I love the Lion and geewhiz that Dreadwing wowzers, but as of yet no rules for dreadwing:sad.:. I need advice should I wait for Dreadwing rules? Or go with another legion, do you think they will get rules and if so will they be good (not OP just fluffy) I would want to see access to loads of CHOOM, rad, chem munitions and phospherex comming out the wazzoo. Am I just wish listing or could this happen. You could of course take away my pain by selling me on one of the other 2 legions mentioned. Thanks' brothers and sisters.

Edited by choppyred

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

this time I have a real uncommon Question for you,

Because I am looking what legion to choose, in my heart there are already 3 but I cant really decide :(

I have booth Heresy Boxes, an Rhino, an RG Contemptor ( liked the studs ^^ ) 2 laser Rapier Vindicators, an Leviathan and a Land Raider, so thats not really a prob.

But know my thinkings questions and so, I wanna try to play the Legion, or parts from it in 40k too.

Normally I like the bad guys, and ever played them, World eaters, Word Bearers, ( booth sold -.-) but then I read some HH Novels and because of that I really like the Fluff from the Dark Angels, especially Luthor.

But then there is the Iron Hands, I love Bionics, and for sure, Ferrus Mannus and his Gorgons and Immortals

But this booth Legions are black, and I am not a quiet good painter ( till now i just painted and then I used the Army Painter Shade) which I cant use with Black -.-

So Last but not least, the Death Guard easy paint scheme, and a cool Primarch also the Grave Wardens.

But in 40k I dont like their mutated blurried style, and i am afraid of the Death Guard Hypetrain which will start with the new 8.th Edition Box.

So I hope you can help me guys, or give me a little push to an destintaion.

I like big Contemptors, I like Terminators, and all of them have them ( ok DA except the Terminators ;) )

Greetings

I don't know if black is really completely out of reach: there are several good tutorials out there, and it's not really much more difficult then white (which you'd need for Death Guard)

Bionics can be seen in any legion, so I wouldn't worry about that.

You seem to like quite a few different Legion Unique Units. Also, I'm guessing you like the idea of the secrecy and "not being sure if they're loyal" side of Luther's Dark Angels? If so, have you looked into Alpha Legion? They aren't black, so you may find them easier to paint, plus they can use different Legion's unique units (only one per battle I believe) - when you combine that with their unsure loyalties, they could be a good fit?