Unit of the Week XIII - Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclave (EBC)

Aqui

No experience at all. At one point I planned to put 4 crusaders and 5 death cult assassins in a rhino with a priest. That sounded fun. The re-rollable 3++ in cc would be awesome.

It's a cheaper mirror of Assault Termis + Sanguinary Priest + Land Raider (which I DO have experience with). You WILL want those storm shields if you expect to get anywhere, and the assassins just look like they would be fun to have in cc (rules wise, I mean).

I can't imagine foot slogging these guys, but that might be the only option, what with our lack of assault transports.

However, unlike Repentia, the Crusaders give you a fighting chance at surviving long enough to assault after you disembark.

Oh, and it bothers me that Crusader models have GIANT INQUISITORIAL EMBLEMS on their shields. This is the biggest single reason I don't own any. I'd have to scrape those things off and use green stuff I guess.

In the last dex, these were my favourite unit. In the edex, that title is now held by Penitent Engines, but these are a close second.

Nothing in 40k hits as hard as a full-fledged Battle Conclave on the charge. As to the actual make-up of the unit, Priests are pretty much crucial for their benefits. You can build the conclave to suit your needs, for instance, 10 crusaders with a CC specced Canoness and the Cloak relic makes a relatively cheap, super durable killy unit, whilst a squad of Arcos is a super cheap, situational hard counter to certain units (for instance, Ork blobs).

Most people favour a mix of crusaders to death cult assassins, but my personal build is 2 priests and a full squad of DCA on foot. Running behind Seraphim or Rhino's going forward they are perfectly positioned to respond to any opportunity or threat.

Use this unit to wipe and demoralise your opponent! Watch out for Walkers though... some meltabombs on the priests goes a long way :p

In the last dex, these were my favourite unit. In the edex, that title is now held by Penitent Engines, but these are a close second.

Nothing in 40k hits as hard as a full-fledged Battle Conclave on the charge. As to the actual make-up of the unit, Priests are pretty much crucial for their benefits. You can build the conclave to suit your needs, for instance, 10 crusaders with a CC specced Canoness and the Cloak relic makes a relatively cheap, super durable killy unit, whilst a squad of Arcos is a super cheap, situational hard counter to certain units (for instance, Ork blobs).

Most people favour a mix of crusaders to death cult assassins, but my personal build is 2 priests and a full squad of DCA on foot. Running behind Seraphim or Rhino's going forward they are perfectly positioned to respond to any opportunity or threat.

Use this unit to wipe and demoralise your opponent! Watch out for Walkers though... some meltabombs on the priests goes a long way tongue.png

I can't help but think of that small Apoc game I played (with BA) against Chaos. My fully kitted vanguard vets where doing fine hiding behind a land raider, until a Daemon Prince manifested Halucination on them two turns in a row, both times rolling the one where they start smacking each other. Not pretty when half of them have thunder hammers and the other half have lightning claws.

About the EBC: I'm not sure how to fluff out the assassins for use with my order. I guess there could be a death cult on a nearby world, but do Sisters really tolerate that kind of thing? I guess they must be ok with the "cut them to ribbons for the Emperor!" kind of death cult mentioned in the codex entry.

For my own fluff, I have built my own DCA's which are actually supposed to be a branch of the order itself how are the most skilled in close combat and particularly zealous (where else would they go? :p ), they even use Xenos weapons from an ancient, forgotten stockpile (though of course, they don't know that's what they are, and are told they are holy relics).

For my own fluff, I have built my own DCA's which are actually supposed to be a branch of the order itself how are the most skilled in close combat and particularly zealous (where else would they go? tongue.png ), they even use Xenos weapons from an ancient, forgotten stockpile (though of course, they don't know that's what they are, and are told they are holy relics).

I can't even. Does the leadership of the order know? If they don't, it's their fault for not having the Mechanicus check. They deserve to burn.

Oh, and having them be part of the order is a good ides, and I don't even have to change my order's fluff! They already like cc and have somewhat bloodthirsty tendencies.

Always wanted to use these but was never able to find a good female crusader model out of the GW line. I'd prefer to keep it to GW and am open to suggestions. One of the considerations was Sisters of Avelorn with Storm Shields and sororitas heads from Immolator kits.

As for the DCA, they're great! I use em out of the Inquisition dex though so an Assault transport is there.

I love this unit.  I run an assault heavy army, so they fit in very well with both durability and killing potential.  I kit them out with 5 crusaders, 5 death cult, and 1 priest with litanies of faith for the guaranteed war hymns.  I use the unit to counter other death stars, crusaders can tank attacks and the high initiative assassins kill a surprising amount of elite models before they get to swing.  Sure I have to foot slog them, but running tends to get them where they need to go, and they are cheap enough to not care if they get blasted off the board.  If you run a shooting sisters army though, I would give them a pass.  One CC unit in an army of guns wont add up to much in most cases.

I had some success converting crusaders out of retributor models and a couple of canoness bits paired with an old metal bretonnian shield. They arent anywhere near the painting stage, and im currently on vacation so i cant snag some pics. Canoness arm with bracer replaces the left arm at the robe to hold the shield, the sword arm worked well with the blade parallel to the deck point near the shield.

Helmed retributor looked nice, the one with the halo as well. If i remember right, i did one with the repentia mistress flame hat as well.

Front row: Crusaders to tank wounds

Second row: DCA to dispense wounds

Third row: Priests to make everyone crazy for blood. I mean sing hymns.

I recently bought a Landraider Crusader for larger games for this unit to commandeer. It worked well in the one game I tried it so far; smashed through a Cult Mechanicus formation with it with next to no casualties of my own.

I know I need to get with the times, but I am a super big fan of the Arco-Flagellents from the witch hunter codex, and had a lot of success with them.

And I love the models... I posed each of them in a different step of one of the weapon katas I know.

I just don't feel that the current stat line does them justice.

I would be happy to go back to the old points level to get the old rules.

Archived