+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

Kierdale, buddy: unfortunately a single CSM is not a legal unit and therefore not a legal entry... sad.png

Actually, we have a rule for this case:

There is one exception to this rule for the people who just want to join in for a bit of fun without painting masses of models:

You can vow a single, infantry-sized model (in power armour and variants or Terminator armour) of your choice as your first vow. No other units can be pledged in this first vow and you can only make such a vow once during the whole event. Whatever the wargear choice, model in game terms, etc. this entry will always have a fixed value of 50 points. This is to give people the opportunity to model and paint a one-off model of their choice while also allowing them to contribute to the overall effort.

Great to have you all with us guys :tu:

med_gallery_78067_11287_42594.jpg

I live, I breathe. I am the Iron Tyrant's will.

I am no man. I have not been for centuries. The Emperor took me and reforged me into a monster, a living weapon, a being capable of infinite destruction. I marched to war with thousands of my brothers, many of whom now lie dead in some long-forgotten ditch somewhere, at his word. He didn't care about us, we were simply tools to be used and then discarded when we were no longer effective. We were overlooked, in favor of his prized VII Legion, first at Roma but many times afterwards. We were never acknowledged for our works, simply ignored. When he had no more use for us, he gave us to one of his Sons to use.

I hate him. I have always hated him for this. When the Lord of Iron made the choice to stand with his brother the Warmaster in war against the Emperor, I followed willingly. Not simply because he was my father and my Tyrant, but because he allowed us our vengeance. He let us slaughter those fools who were still loyal to the Emperor, and promised us that we would break his power holds. We leapt at this opportunity.

Now here, seven years after the Massacre at the Dropsites of Isstvan, we are afforded this final release of hatred. In the mud and trenches of Terra, we face the precious VII Legion, the Emperor's Praetorians: his Imperial Fists. We will break them here. After we break his chosen Legion, we will tear into the ripe shell that he names a "palace" and tear him down from his throne. Not so that the Warmaster Lupercal can ascend to the Imperium's rule, or for any sort of petty political machination, but for good, simple, old fashioned hatred, and revenge.

It is my Tyrant's will, and I will fulfill. I live, I breath. I will forge his war.

I am Iron Within. I am Iron Without.

+++

I, The Psycho, come here a simple Warrior, and in the name of the IV Legion make a vow, that before December Third Anno Domini Two Thousand and Sixteen, I will present before this court, in miniature form, a single Warsmith of the Iron Warriors for a total of 165 points. I will provide a single picture to begin my work and a single picture following his completion before that date. Though this will necessarily be out of competition, I swear to complete this vow as part of my atonement for the E Tenebrae Lux. For the Iron Tyrant. Iron Within. Iron Without.

med_gallery_78067_12433_327902.jpg

When the Imperial Fists start teasing and flinging taunts at the Iron Warriors...

giphy.gif

... tongue.png

That's funny, I'd just posted that very same GIF up on Facebook :P But I think you'll find it's the biker-trooper who's the "Imperial" here ;)

^^YEah, I was going to say that too. The Trooper is the defender in this example, plus he dies in the end. Sounds more like the Imperial position to me. ;)

* notice how I'm desperately trying to uphold a facade of Chaoticness, while vowing for the Imperial Fists. ;) 

Stuff to do with the Skull Mask or Hazard Stripes would both work - if done right, even some amount of gunmetal or silver could work: if you have an idea in mind, post it up, and we can see smile.png

Honestly, still debating if I want to paint them as 30K Dark Brotherhood blackshields to join Nemean or use converted Death Watch pads as Malcador sign and make Knight Errant squad. Hmm.

Or maybe I should just go and make Death Watch-like heraldry Iron Warrior kill squad as per Beast Rises series, still using 30K rules, but that might be going kind of too far outside allowed paint schemes >_<

I, Beachymike123, vow on the honour of The Siege Makers of the Iron Warriors Legion to fully paint at least

• 1 Chaos Sorceror with Sigil of Corruption 85pts
  • 1 Chaos Lord with Mark of Slaanesh, Power Sword, Sigil of Corruption, Veteran of the Long War 125ps
  • 7 Plague Marines with X2 Plasma Guns, Icon of Despair, Veterans of the Long War and Champion with Power Fist 233pts
  • 6 Noise Marines with Bolters, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, Blast Master, Icon of Excess, Veterans of the Long War and Champion with Power Sword, Doom Siren and Meltabombs 219pts

from Codex:Chaos Space Marines by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

I will edit in pictures but I'm also waiting for the new Session of Gilgamesh to start as well which is 1st September. Once that's started I'll edit in my starting pictures into this post. 

Stuff to do with the Skull Mask or Hazard Stripes would both work - if done right, even some amount of gunmetal or silver could work: if you have an idea in mind, post it up, and we can see smile.png

Honestly, still debating if I want to paint them as 30K Dark Brotherhood blackshields to join Nemean or use converted Death Watch pads as Malcador sign and make Knight Errant squad. Hmm.

Or maybe I should just go and make Death Watch-like heraldry Iron Warrior kill squad as per Beast Rises series, still using 30K rules, but that might be going kind of too far outside allowed paint schemes >_<

Unfortunately, the Dark Brotherhood aren't explicitely an old part of the Iron Warriors (I can't remember their fluff but they're rather heterogeneous iirc) so I don't think we can go as far as to allow that. I'm also not sure that the Knights Errant can really be qualified as ex-Iron Warriors, more proto-Grey Knights.

Don't get me wrong, I'd really love for you to join, and I'm open to DIY blackshield forces and splinter warbands, but these canon examples seem a bit far outside of the IVth Legion and the Iron Warriors.

I'll be updating this evening :)

Unfortunately, the Dark Brotherhood aren't explicitely an old part of the Iron Warriors (I can't remember their fluff but they're rather heterogeneous iirc) so I don't think we can go as far as to allow that. I'm also not sure that the Knights Errant can really be qualified as ex-Iron Warriors, more proto-Grey Knights.

Oh, okay, fair enough. I can see why this is an issue, though in this case, 'warband' should be understood in 30K sense, still original colours, not 40K 'paint anything you want' Chaos, correct?

As for Dark Brotherhood, I picked because they were drawn from multiple Legions, diverse enough to start shooting civil war inside when the question who to help in HH was raised. It was the other Blackshield bands who were heterogeneous. Ditto for Knights Errant, they were proto-Inquisition, not Grey Knights, for one we have origins of GK and they have nothing to do with KE, and second, vast majority of Knights Errant had zero psychic abilities which doesn't fit GK. I considered them as they were recruiting everyone, including Blackshields (from Dark Brotherhood) and loyal members of traitors, if they had World Eater Iron Warrior would definitely fit. Still, sure, back to drawing board.

Out of curiosity, would the one off model (the one worth 50 pts) Iron Warrior mini also need to follow the above rules?

Waiting for "official" so I can start painting (also I may need to buy a new pot of gunmetal colored paint haha)

Get the lead belcher spray from GW, it speeds up the process no end smile.png

Oh, okay, fair enough. I can see why this is an issue, though in this case, 'warband' should be understood in 30K sense, still original colours, not 40K 'paint anything you want' Chaos, correct?

As for Dark Brotherhood, I picked because they were drawn from multiple Legions, diverse enough to start shooting civil war inside when the question who to help in HH was raised. It was the other Blackshield bands who were heterogeneous. Ditto for Knights Errant, they were proto-Inquisition, not Grey Knights, for one we have origins of GK and they have nothing to do with KE, and second, vast majority of Knights Errant had zero psychic abilities which doesn't fit GK. I considered them as they were recruiting everyone, including Blackshields (from Dark Brotherhood) and loyal members of traitors, if they had World Eater Iron Warrior would definitely fit. Still, sure, back to drawing board.

Out of curiosity, would the one off model (the one worth 50 pts) Iron Warrior mini also need to follow the above rules?

I think there's some leeway for the colour schemes (like the Steel Brethren), as the Imperial Fists get access to successor chapters. However, it shouldn't be a colour scheme belonging to a canon warband/chapter that is explicitly not of the Iron Warriors: we want something here that is (or was) explicitly of the legion => For that reason, I didn't make any special case allowing people to paint Minotaurs or Silver Skulls, as they aren't explicitly successors of the Iron Warriors.

Of course, Blackshields and Knights Errant are a bit of a special case: they don't necessarily deny that they were once part of a specific legion, but they don't identify themselves as part of their legion any more.

If it can help, those Astartes that identify themselves as Sons of Perturabo are fair game: for instance, Honsou has part Imperial Fists gene-seed, but identifies himself as a Son of Perturabo - he is authorised; the Minotaurs are (probably) truly gene-sons of Perturabo, but don't identify themselves as such - they are not authorised.

Creating a DIY warband is not only authorised, but encouraged - however, in this case, they should identify themselves as Sons of Perturabo (which can bring a host of problems if they aren't under his authority in fluff - seeing how you get around this restriction would be very interesting), they should have something in the colour scheme that is reminiscent of the Iron Warriors or the IVth Legion before Perturabo, and this colour scheme should be as little reminiscent as possible to well known canon examples that aren't Sons of Perturabo (ie, it shouldn't be mainly yellow, despite having hazard stripes on their weapons) - as this is rather subjective, post up an example colour scheme using the Bolter and Chainsword painters, and Dosjetka and I will deliberate smile.png

EDIT: the test-mini should try to satisfy these rules too - I'm sorry if they seem to be a bit restrictive, but as :

• there aren't many canon examples of Iron Warriors warbands/blackshields,
  • we want to have a specifically Iron Warriors event,
  • this is the first time this event has been put in place

we have to lay some boundaries somewhere.

I hope this answer helps smile.png

OK question for the 30K guys out there who may know a little better..

Can a  Minotaur Artillery Tank be taken as a LOW by the Iron Warriors in 30K? I have one thats going to be by big gun Iron Warriors Army on Parade display and I would love to be able to vow it on this as well.. 

Can a  Minotaur Artillery Tank be taken as a LOW by the Iron Warriors in 30K? I have one thats going to be by big gun Iron Warriors Army on Parade display and I would love to be able to vow it on this as well.. 

Yup. It's one of the super-heavies available under the "Engine of Destruction" classification as an LoW in the Age of Darkness Army List.

Yup. It's one of the super-heavies available under the "Engine of Destruction" classification as an LoW in the Age of Darkness Army List.

Fantastic.. 

I will be Vowing this at the weekend... will base the points of IA:13 

IRON WITHOUT first update
Member Vow 1 Vow 2 Vow 3 Vow 4 Vow 5 Vow 6 Vow 7
Beachymike123 662
Brightstar 550
Brother Kortmer 50
Celtic_cauldron 195
Insane Psychopath 580
Iron Skull Mask 321
Kierdale 50
Lord Commander Eidolon Vow
MindOfMetal 320
Ninjaman 712
Wayniac 137

I think we already have a pretty good participation rate with 13 vows made, or on the cusp of being made (14 with me msn-wink.gif ) However, could those of you who have "Vow" written in place of a number give me the points value of their vow? When you get to it, adding the first picture would be good too smile.png

Anyway, I'm going to get a macro organised for my excel file so it won't take as long to organise next update tongue.png

EDIT: with Augustus and Psycho actually making OOC vows, we have a few less In Competition participants sad.png

Is this acceptable to vow? It has a plate mail metal basecoat, along with a nuln oil wash. No further details ar done.

I'd be inclined to say it's okay, but I've asked Dosjetka what he thinks about it - we have to leave the fists every advantage we can after all ;)

Archived