A BnC event RETURNS
Like its first incarnation, Augustus' Arena is a Bolter & Chainsword event wherein Frater challenge each other in brotherly fashion. The August Arena II will see true 1vs1 challenges (a development after the first incarnation in 2015). A 'challenge' between two frater should be understood as a team-up of two frater, who promise each other to build and paint a similar unit or single miniature you they want to finish. Both challengers paint their miniatures to the best of their ability before a self-set deadline, with encouragement and positive, constructive feedback from their ‘rival’ challenger.
As such, the event is set up with two goals in mind: 1. to create a positive experience for the challengers, in which fraterpush frater to the best of their abilities, so that in the end of the event, they have a sublime miniature that reflects their utmost. 2. to create and/or strengthen bonds of cameraderie within the Bolter&Chainsword
The idea is to challenge fellow Frater to build, paint and base a single unit -be it a single miniature or a group of miniatures that together create a unit-, that is befitting their army, before one of two deadlines, and to stimulate and inspire your fellow Frater to build units they want to build.
Challengers act as sponsors to the Frater with whom they share a challenge, offering encouragement, praise, and constructive feedback on their progress and completion. To stimulate Frater to really think about what their brother Frater would like to paint, there is no penalty to declining a challenge. In effect, the challenger-challenged relationship is a kind of buddy system.
- Frater can issue or accept only a single challenge per round.
- There will be two ‘rounds’ in the Arena. Participants should find another frater to challenge in the second round.
- The first round of the challenge runs from July 1st to July 31st. First Round Challenges can be issued until July 9th.
- The second round of the challenge runs from August 1st to August 31st. Second Round Challenges can be issued until August 9th
- Challenges issued and accepted should be posted in this thread using below-mentioned formats.
- Challengers should agree on the unit category they wish their challenge to be about - see categories.
- Each participant shall post at least three pictures: one pre build, one final WIP, and one picture of their completed entry.
- If one of the challengers completes the challenge within the deadline, they are free to issue/accept further challenges
- There is no penalty to declining a challenge
- The event finishes on the date of the last deadline, namely midnight CET on August 31st 2017.
The units that challengers use should be of similar categories, and ideally (though this should not be applied too strictly) of the same points. Picture that the units you and your challenge buddy will complete during the event will duking it out when they’re finished. As such, a mutual challengers should pick a category from which to challenge. These are categories based on 7th edition rules, as I am as of yet not familiar enough with 8th's rules to make a clear categorization.
- Character on foot
- Mounted Character (bike, jetbike, steeds, cavalry, etc…)
- Unit of Infantry (Infantry, Jump infantry, Jet pack infantry, minimum unit size of 5, unless the minimum unit size determined by Codex/Index is less than 5, in which case the codex minimum applies)
- Unit of bikes, jetbikes, cavalry, steeds, beasts (minimum unit size 3)
- Monstrous Creatures (Flying Monstrous Creatures, Monstrous Creatures - but actual monsters, no mechanical constructs)
- Walkers (including mechanical constructs that were ruled to be Monstrous Creatures in 7th)
Challenges should be issued in this thread, in this format:
I, [name challenger], challenge [name challengee] to step into the Arena with me, where we shall both build, paint, and base a [general category unit]. I shall bring forth a [specific personal unit] before the deadline of [pick either July 31st or August 31st], 2017. If they accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they accept and fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.
Challenges should be accepted in this format:
I, [name challenged], accept the challenge set to me by [name challenger], and step into the Arena, where we shall build, paint and base a [general category unit]. I shall bring forth a [specific personal unit] before the deadline of [pick either July 31st or August 31st], 2017. If they complete their challenge, eternal glory will be theirs. If they fail, they shall wear the badge of shame until the end of 018M02.
Challenges shall be declined in whatever fashion the Frater deems fit. Note that if you fail to specify your deadline, I will record your challenge as aiming for the nearest deadline.
Participants who are in a challenge should wear the 'CHALLENGED' banner:
If you're interested in joining this event and wish to display your willingness to challenge and be challenged, and portray the timezone (30K or 40K) you wish your challenge to be in, as well as your faction) you can put one of the following banners in your siggy. Please mind the 990x100 pixel size restrictions for signatures.
Dark Imperium (Renegades and Imperials)
Horus Heresy (Traitors & Loyalists)
If you're already challenged, please put the following in your signature.
Dark Imperium (Renegades and Imperials)
Horus Heresy (Traitors & Loyalists)
It is possible to both issue and accept multiple challenges during the course of the event, under the following conditions:
- You have not been challenged or have not accepted a previous challenge in the event.
- You have finished your challenge and feel that you can finish another before the next deadline.
Of course, there are badges to be awarded. These will be awarded in the week after the second deadline, most likely in the weekend of September 2nd. When Frater complete both their challenges before the respective deadlines, they are awarded the ‘August Arena VICTOR badge’TM. Multiple completed challenges will earn extra pips on the VICTOR badge.
When Frater fail to complete their challenge before the respective deadline, they must wear the MEA CULPA badge until the end of 018M02 (2017).
In addition, I will be awarding two very subjective banners (and these will not be restricted to single frater):
- Most Supportive Challenger (for the challenger who is the best buddy to his challengee)
- Most Impressive Unit (for the most impressive unit(s) finished as part of this event)
Q: Can challenges be to finish models on which I have already started?
A: No, they cannot. While the event is meant to produce models from start (unbuilt) to completed (painted and based), I'll allow already built miniatures so long as both parties in a challenge agree their respective entries are on the same level of build.
Q: When I would like to be challenged, would it help if willing prospective challengees posted a list of what minis they have on their 'to do' pile?
A: Better not, as that would probably clot the the thread. Ask yourself "who would I like to challenge" and then contact the Frater beforehand by PM - to make sure they want to embark on the challenge and to see what kind of unit they want to take on. The aim is, after all, also to strengthen bonds between Frater.
Q: I'm a Black Templar/Chaos Space Marine/Space-Marines-with-special-challenge-rules player, can I challenge an entire forum?
A: Nope, that's the staple of the ETL. This event is aimed at challenges between individual Frater. Of course, no-one is stopping you from teaming up with your brothers and each of your team mates challenges a Frater from a rival team.
Q: Do units in the challenge have to be legal?
A: No! The intent is to finish cool, beautiful, based miniatures. You can accept anything: three plague marines with a heavy bolter, a weird command squad, anything. As long as they look and feel as a 'single unit' and comply with a category.
Q: In which Category does my (insert X miniature) fall?
A: If it isn't clear, PM me or ask in the this thread. I will update at least once every two days.
Q: Why do(es) the miniature(s) have to be based in order to count as completed?
A: Because the age-old hobbyist adage goes "a beautiful base completes a miniature". IN other words, a miniature isn't complete if you haven't completed the base. Also, I like based miniatures
Q: What happens if I am challenged by multiple Frater?
A: If Frater get two or more challenges, they must first decline the first to accept the second, etc.
Q: Who made those awesome banners and medallions?
A: It was ShVagYeR. He was very generous with his time and open to several revisions. Thanks ShVagYeR!
Q: Can Xenos play too?
A: Of course! If anything, it'd be awesome to see two mortal enemies facing off!
Q: I wish to build a Xenos miniature. Will there be banners for those too?
A: I have asked ShVagYer, but he is a busy man, and I am dependent on him.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND HAVE FUN!!!
Edited by Augustus b'Raass, 30 July 2017 - 01:54 PM.