The Taurans
A Collaborative Chapter Creation Project (CCCP)

What is the Collaborative Chapter Creation Project?:
The Liber is an oddity in the B+C. Most forums on the board have a core community of posters who contribute to make the place more welcoming - somewhere you want to return to. The Liber is far more disparate. It serves as a melting pot of ideas that some frater dip into and then leave as soon as their urges are satisfied. This is even more the case since the fourth edition Codex: Space Marines. Sometimes it seems the Liber's function is to help people flimsily justify their killer trait combination with a smattering of fluff. But this shouldn't - must not - denigrate in any way the committed few who return to the Liber day in and day out for very selfless reasons - to help other people, to improve the sense of community here on the board.

The Liber is a very vital part of the B+C, a resource that cannot be matched on any 40k forum. Writing is an art that deserves to be cultivated here just as painting, converting and modelling are. Those of you who have been around the Liber for a while will remember the original Collaborative Chapter Creation project, spearheaded by Ferrata - this project culminated in the Imperial Castellans IA article, and showed just what the Liber can do as a community - and that's what this project is about; an attempt to foster a sense of community. Everyone can participate, from hardened Liberite veterans through to those just passing through.

So, what's the project about? Well, following the example set by Ferrata, the objective is to take a chapter named by GW. It's possible they may have a colour scheme; they may have a few short mentions in official GW publications. Equally, they may not. The Liber then works together, throwing ideas around to create an IA article of comparable quality and length to official GW literature. Something we can all be proud of.

What do I hope to achieve? Well, I hope to improve activity in the Liber, I hope to create something interesting that people are proud to participate in. Obviously the ideal situation would be if someone chose to collect an army of the chapter we create. It might also give some of the newer Liber-ites an insight into how experienced DIYers go about chapter creation.

Where can I find other CCCP projects?
- CCCP 1: Original Thread / IA: IMPERIAL CASTELLANS (c.2005-6)
- CCCP 2: IA: WAR BEARERS (c.2006)
- CCCP 3: IA: DARK SONS (c.2008)
- CCCP 4: Prior Discussion Thread (2017-)

How can I help?
Dive in and join the discussion! We're a friendly bunch, and we're in need of help! Anything is valuable, from discussion about background, to artwork or fluff! I look forward to seeing you contribute! Edited by Commissar Molotov

INDEX ASTARTES: THE TAURANS

"As upon the plains of Chogoris,
so unto the void eternal."
- Tauran Maxim

Origins
Taurans Marine of the 3rd Company'
In the centuries since the fortress-world of Cadia fell, the Dark King returned and the Great Rift split the Imperium of Man in twain, precious few have heard of the reclusive warriors known as the Taurans. Aloof and distant, the Chapter and its nomadic fleets ply the distant darkness of the Imperium Nihilus in a manner not that dissimilar to the ancestral tribes of Chogoris. They shun the glories that once enticed them and almost led to their destruction, keeping their eyes instead on the horizon instead. For the Taurans, there is always more battles to be fought and wars to be won to ensure that Mankind continues to endure.

It is known that the Taurans were founded in the early years of the Imperium, drawing upon the gene-legacies of Jaghatai Khan. By the end of M33, the Chapter had established itself as deserving successors of the Legion, worthy of standing alongside their brethren in Chapters such as the Marauders, Rampagers and Storm Lords. Its ranks were filled with warriors who had, since their initiation into the Chapter, been instilled with tales of glory and honour from an age long past; warriors whose twin hearts sang with joy that the prospect of equalling - or even exceeding - those deeds of legend. There may have been those who called such beliefs arrogant, but the Taurans' ferocious aspiration drove them relentlessly forward on a series of brutal crusades, claiming many worlds for the Imperium and leaving their enemies crushed at their feet.

Few, however, could have predicted that the tumultuous centuries of the so-called Nova Terra Interregnum would bring the Taurans to the brink of destruction and define them for the next six millennia.

Homeworld
As of .M42, the fleets of the Taurans are nomadic and far-ranging, roaming across the darkness of the Imperium Nihilus in a manner not that dissimilar to the ancestral tribes of far Chogoris. Scattered reports exist of the Taurans taking eligible youths from the disparate worlds visited during their campaigns; children hardened by the crucible of war and the suffering they have witnessed. Children united by their furious desire to revisit that destruction upon the Emperor's foes.

The World-that-Was
The world of XXXXX was claimed by the Taurans early in their existence by ancestral right and force of arms. A small verdant planet, it appealed to the nascent Chapter due to its similarity to the White Scars' homeworld. The peoples of the world were nomadic, travelling untold distances with their livestock as they migrated from continent to continent. These were a proud and hardy people, living in harmony with their herds and giving thanks to the Emperor for each meal. When war broke out between the scattered tribes it would be ferocious and short-lived...

When the Taurans arrived upon XXXXX, the construction of their Fortress-Monastery began. Built at the foothills of the largest mountain range on XXXXX, it could be seen from many miles around, and the nomadic tribes would travel to trade with their new overlords. As time passed, temporary shanties around the monastery grew into a established settlements. The old nomadic ways were abandoned by many, who saw the value and wealth that the Astartes could bring. The Taurans, for their part, sought to reward the XXXXXians for their loyalty. Many were inducted into the Chapter as valued serfs and retainers. For many thousands of years, the Taurans served as benevolent overlords, uplifting the tribespeople and offering them the benefits of civilisation. But the people of XXXXX, primitive as they were, could have little conception of the war for the galaxy that raged above them.

To the wider Imperium, this was known as the war of the two Empires, the Nova Terra Interregnum, in which the Imperium was split in twain. Most of the Chapters of the Astartes carefully declared neutrality, their Chapter Masters choosing to avoid being caught up in the petty squabbles of men when they sought instead to protect Mankind. The Taurans, brash and emboldened with youthful impetuosity, took another path...

The World-that-Is
XXXXX wears the scars of its former wars still, even millennia after the Interregnum. The cities that once populated the globe are little more than scattered ruins, long since reclaimed by nature. The tribes of XXXXX, have long since returned to their nomadic state, distrusting cities and instead preferring to live close to the land that sustains them.

- Periodically, forces from the Taurans return to make offerings around their old Fortress Monastery. These offerings might be captured weapons and the bones of fallen enemies, totems and standards, even armoured vehicles, their metal skeletons slowly crumbling. A visual history of the Chapter's hard-fought victories and terrible losses, avenged.
- I think the Chapter might have a complicated relationship with its former homeworld - a place which many of the Chapter's warriors never knew, and yet a symbol of... what? Perhaps the futility of calling one place home, when their focus is the whole of the Imperium? A reminder never to rest, but rather to forge ahead relentlessly?
- I think the idea of the "elephant graveyard" is a good one, and it seems to speak to ideas of veneration and respect - hence your "no man left behind." - is this so that their spirits can rest easy, so they can know a homeworld (and a peace) they might not have had in their lives? Is it so that all the brothers of the Chapter can mingle together as one? There's a lot here that we could exploit and explore.
- If they return periodically to offer tribute at their old Fortress Monastery, than they obviously consider it an important site and would defend it if it was attacked. I think the idea is neat, but if they truly do not care for their old homeworld they wouldn't return to perform rituals with no strategic purpose. Perhaps it is a reminder of the past, and that people, chapters, and all things change and that the past and these changes are important. Or it could be part of a philosophy where the chapter considers that planet their home, but by maintaining this tie they "take their home with them" wherever they go, so to speak.
- I would like to see the Taurans in the Imperium Nihilus, but their homeworld in the main Imperium - I like the idea of them fording the Cicatrix Maledictum to reach their ancestral home, somewhat like bulls migrating.
-Spiritually important
-Not a strategic asset
- Every ___ years the Taurans rendezvous at a designated area in space and travel to the Chapter world for the Elephants' Graveyard ritual (somebody please come up with a better name than thiswacko.png). This ritual is all important and must be attended by every chapter member (Astartes and serfs alike). At the site of the fortress monastery, campaign trophies are laid down and the remains of fallen battle brothers (or a valued totem or piece of wargear if remains are not recovered) and serfs of note are laid to rest, their spirits set to guard the homeworld.* Librarians and Chaplains spread out among the trophies of past and present victories. Neophytes are gathered to these sites for the ritual of "The Telling". In this way, neophytes are bonded to the spirit of the Chapter and the Chapter wor

Relations with the Wider Imperium
- Chapter became estranged upon the conclusion of the Nova Terra Interregnum.

Organisation
- Tribal structure?
- Fluid, banding around strong leaders
- Brothers of the Snake (squad leaders able to commit their forces)
- Primaris seeking Leadership positions having to prove their worth?

Beliefs
- Self-reliance, a result of the Penitent Crusade?
- They are now somewhat distant and aloof from the Imperium as a whole, even as they fight to protect its citizens.
- The wisdom of experience yields greater rewards than the brash enthusiasm of youth.
- Naturally impatient, impulsive - the brothers work hard to centre themselves through meditation, warfare and the arts. (Poetry, Meditation?)

- Reconquering territory that has been lost to the Imperium.
-Disenchanted with the Imperium's politicking, estranged from the machinations of the Administratum, Mechanicus and Ecclesiarchy.
- They have seen their crusade through, have served their penance and are ready to be welcomed back. But they just never do. They remain distant and aloof, ever pushing onwards. Little interest in approval or validation from Imperial authorities.
-
The Carcharadon Astra are, I think, a predatory fleet, a pack of sharks that seem to swarm and predate. To me I think of the Taurans as more nomadic - not gradual, peaceful and stately - these are not proud or boastful warriors. But there is something that reveals these Marines as moving steadily across the Imperium, reconquering territory that has been lost to the Imperium.
- Heru raises the point that we can interpret the idea that the Taurans' fleets are "rarely seen" - perhaps they strike, then move on before the greater Imperial authorities can catch up with them. Or perhaps some of the focus is on the fact that the Taurans shun the glories of fame.

- Distrust with the Ecclesiarchy -
"The Taurans have a hard time fitting in with the Imperium as it exists. They undoubtedly are a force for good, but they just can't fit in. Any time they work closely with all but the most independent of Imperial organizations, friction inevitably builds until the Taurans eventually withdraw to avoid a repeat of their Diaspora. Only organization like the Rogue Traders or Explorator Fleets and barely established colonies are places where the Taruans are freely welcomed. Like Don Quixote or Massai migrant herders, the Taurans are struggling to hold on to a tradition or a code of ethics that no longer exists and may have never existed. At one time, they raged against this and struggled to MAKE the galaxy conform to their vision. Now with the wisdom of millennia on crusade, they realize they are unique and a fish out of water in the Imperium at large so they stick to the frontiers. Unlike old Terra, there is no shortage of frontier where the dispossed and the unwanted can go to find their fortune and etch their names in the stars. "
The Taurans are an aloof chapter, deeply suspicious of Imperial institutions and their political machinations. They seldom form alliances, but when they do, bonds are deep and lasting.* The chapter is especially leery of the Ecclesiarchy.

Although the chapter does not believe in the divinity of the Emperor and tensions are high with the Ecclesiarch, the Taurans are deeply spiritual. Their spirituality is anima/animus in nature. There is a strong tie in the collective consciousness of the chapter with the strong spirits of certain places and persons both past and present.*
Librarians engage in throwing bone to determine certain chapter actions (whether or not to engage in certain campaigns, answer a call for aid, etc.).*
Taurans engage in ritual combat duals to resolve conflicts and gain advancement ( for example: two equally qualified brothers fight for the right of squad sergeant) in "The Arena".*

Combat Doctrine
- Shock tactics

I see the White Scars and the Taurans diverging somewhat in their combat doctrines - whilst the White Scars are adept at striking fast and then falling back, I see the Tauran as a relentless, unstoppable force. I agree with the idea of constant motion - but not necessarily the idea of speed. Perhaps that's something that dovetails with the ideas from GW fluff that the Tauran are 'steady' - they're not Dwarven or like the Salamanders, but they are experts at placing the enemy under pressure, and slowly cranking up that pressure until they are inevitably crushed. Whilst my thoughts seem to suggest a troop-heavy approach like the Death Guard, I'm not sure I mean it that way - but certainly the idea of relentlessness - which to me is the watchword of the Taurans.

-noble, but savage, nomadic warrior philosophers of the steppes

Geneseed
The Taurans proudly acknowledge the genetic gifts given to them by Jaghatai Khan, and the Chapter has never been reported to have had any statistically significant aberrations or mutations. Whilst there are those who consider the gene-seed of the White Scars to be associated with savagery and bloodthirstiness, the Taurans do not demonstrate this. Still, they are worthy sons of the Khan.

"savagery can be something that the Tauran work to tame, a thirst for war can be a hunger to reclaim the Imperium, and ferociousness can be an unrelenting and merciless campaign against their enemies." Edited by Commissar Molotov

Collation of Previous Thread

Official GW background on the Tauran:

"The Taurans have long been cloaked in mystery, their crusading fleets appearing only rarely in Imperial histories. Still they honour the tithe, sending staunch Veterans to stand that Long Vigil amid the Deathwatch's ranks. Brother Dronthus is typical of his Chapter's steady character." - Codex: Deathwatch (Limited Edition Supplement)

Summation of Previous Discussion:

• "Bullish" / "Stubborn" / "Head-headed"
  • "Knightly"
  • Duelling to resolve issues
  • Meritocracy - rank through "force of arms"
  • "Strength through Strife"
  • The Tyranids as a "true, implacable enemy"
  • Klingon Space Marines
  • African influences (Shaka's "Horned Bull" tactics
  • Blood Rituals
  • Hunting as a Pack
  • Simple and Direct / Overwhelming Force / "A Chapter that hits HARD"
  • Barely above Half Strength
  • Spanish and/or Hispanic Themes / "A modern Carthage"
  • Culling
  • Blood Sacrifice
  • Burning Bones for Readings of the Future
  • Crusading Chapter / Links to Conquistador
  • Influence from "El Cid" - exiled and recalled
Edited by Commissar Molotov

Credits

Posting within the Liber Astartes can be a hard thing to do, but it is incredibly encouraging and rewarding. In participating in the CCCP, you are helping to uphold a Liber tradition that has existed since 2005 - perhaps since before some B&C users were born!

Thank you for your contributions to CCCP4!

Brother Lunkhead Zhiv Black Cohort Brother Cambrius Kelborn
Sun Reaver Woe to the Vanquished Zebulon Draakur Conn Eremon
Heru Doctor Perils Servant of Dante Minigiant Olis
ToyShip Qkhitai Lysimachus Nomus Sardauk Sete
Wargamer Beta Galactosidase Reyner deathspectersgt7 Dredgen Yor
Machine God Felix Antipodes Chaplain Dosjetka Jagus Kumkani Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
RikuEru Claws and Effect Cpt_Reaper Bjorn Firewalker

Hi all,

I have spent today collating the key aspects of discussion from the previous thread in an effort to push CCCP4 to its conclusion. The Taurans were selected by the Liber in November of 2017, so we have a lot to get caught up with!

I would love to hear your feedback regarding any aspects of the Chapter.

Thanks hugely in advance,

Mol.

To begin with, I have started writing the origins section of the IA. My intention is to try to capture a sort of mythological tone, as though this were somewhat like an oral tale or recounting of the Chapter. Balancing that with the more formal and analytical style of the Index Astartes can be difficult, but I think it helps to make the tale of the Taurans that little bit grander. I took a great deal of inspiration from Woe to the Vanquished's posts in the original thread, as I felt they captured a lot of that tone.

This is also the first IA article I've written set definitively in the M42 timeline, which is exciting!

Origins

In the centuries since the fortress-world of Cadia fell, the Dark King returned and the Great Rift split the Imperium of Man in twain, precious few have heard of the reclusive warriors known as the Taurans. Aloof and distant, the Chapter and its nomadic fleets ply the distant darkness of the Imperium Nihilus in a manner not that dissimilar to the ancestral tribes of Chogoris. They shun the glories that once enticed them and almost led to their destruction, keeping their eyes instead on the horizon instead. For the Taurans, there is always more battles to be fought and wars to be won to ensure that Mankind continues to endure.

It is known that the Taurans were founded in the early years of the Imperium, drawing upon the gene-legacies of Jaghatai Khan. By the end of M33, the Chapter had established itself as deserving successors of the Legion, worthy of standing alongside their brethren in Chapters such as the Marauders, Rampagers and Storm Lords. Like the bull from which they took their sigil, the Taurans were unwavering and steadfast when defending ground, and aggressive and relentless during assaults. Their ranks were filled with warriors who had, since their initiation into the Chapter, been instilled with tales of glory and honour from an age long past; warriors whose twin hearts sang with joy that the prospect of equalling - or even exceeding - those deeds of legend. There may have been those who called such beliefs arrogant, but the Taurans' ferocious aspiration drove them ever onward on a series of brutal crusades, claiming many worlds for the Imperium and leaving their enemies crushed at their feet.

Few, however, could have predicted that the tumultuous centuries of the so-called Nova Terra Interregnum would bring the Taurans to the brink of destruction and define them for the next six millennia.

EDIT: I have stolen some words and phrases from other sections of the IA as I feel they fit better here; there might be some duplication in the IA above.

As a minor addition; I’d just note that the elephants’ graveyard idea is a very evocative one. In particular, it really echoes the very 40k idea that everything is degraded and poorly-understood. Perhaps returning to the Chapter homeworld could be a pilgrimage of sorts? Perhaps akin the hajj - something every Tauran feels they ought to do at least once, but not a constant presence on their everyday existence.

A good secret might be that the homeworld is not the original one - that it (and a dozen others) have been lost over the millennia, but the Chapter continues to honour the tradition. The signal divorced from the sign, so to speak.

Taking the concept further, each Company/officer might have a pile/hoard of treasure that they gather through the course of their duties. This hoard is jealously guarded (with a 40k equivalent of a labyrinth/cursus). Worthy efforts are rewarded by the chance to ‘try the labyrinth’; honour-combat to to win a treasure ago take on the pilgrimage.

Without going too heavy on the Minotaur imagery, I like the idea that the fleet returns with white or black signals to indicate their success/failure - and that their Captains/officers vie with each other for the greatest treasures/tales.

Hi Apologist; thanks for the response!

Regarding the pilgrimage, that was certainly something I'd thought to be an interesting idea, especially if the Chapter doesn't recruit (or rarely recruits) from the original world. I liked the idea of a "stirring of the blood."

"I was not born here. I have stood on these blasted plains only twice in my life. And yet in my blood, I know it is home."

- Tauran Maxim

With the Cicatrix Maledictum and the rift dividing the Imperium, I had thought that an evocative image might be to have the Taurans having to ford the rift to return home, as that seems to speak of ideas of grand migrations and cattle fording rivers whilst being attacked by alligators!

I like the idea of the smoke signals - perhaps pillars of smoke shroud the Fortress Monastery when the Chapter temporarily returns to take residence, alerting the world's residents?

One of my thoughts (based on Dan Abnett's Emperor's Snakes novels was the idea of individual squads pledging themselves to those leaders who have proven themselves to their men. This in a way I thought could be different from Chapters like the Space Wolves, who are focused around the idea of the Legendary Hero - instead, the Taurans are a meritocracy, both within their squads and within their ad-hoc Company formations, which can swell or wane throughout history.

As a minor addition; I’d just note that the elephants’ graveyard idea is a very evocative one. In particular, it really echoes the very 40k idea that everything is degraded and poorly-understood. Perhaps returning to the Chapter homeworld could be a pilgrimage of sorts? Perhaps akin the hajj - something every Tauran feels they ought to do at least once, but not a constant presence on their everyday existence.

This is a valid idea, to which I wish to add the notion this pilgrimage will end with the Iron Taurans renewing their oaths of loyalty to the Primarch, the Emperor, and the Imperium They built. I also think the oaths the Jem'Hadar swear in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, can be used after some rewriting:

Before each battle, the following ritual was observed by the Jem'Hadar:

First: "I am [Rank] [Name], and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This, we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember – victory is life."

Jem'Hadar: "Victory is life."

A similar exchange stated, "Obedience brings victory, and victory is life."

When ketracel-white was dispensed, the following ritual exchange usually took place between the Vorta overseer and the ranking Jem'Hadar:

Vorta: "[Rank] [Name], can you vouch for the loyalty of your men?"

First (or ranking Jem'Hadar): "We pledge our loyalty to the Founders from now until death."

Vorta: "Then receive this reward from the Founders. May it keep you strong."

The last can be rewritten into a ritual exchange between a Chaplain and an Initiate, as the latter receives his gene-seed:

Chaplain: "Initiate [Name], will you serve the Emperor and His Imperium with loyalty?

Initiate (fighting pain, as his chest is cut open to receive gene-seed): "I, [Name], pledge my loyalty to the Emperor and His Imperium, from now until death."

Chaplain (nodding to an Apothecary, silently ordering the latter to proceed with implanting the Initiate's gene-seed): "Then receive this gift from the Primarch, on the Emperor's behalf. May it make you strong."

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Suggested names for the graveyard: "Grave of Blades" or "Cemetery of Swords", where notable battles are commemorated; fallen comrades are honored; the Iron Taurans are reminded of enemies of the Imperium and the crimes they committed, strengthening the hatred with which they will fuel crusades of vengeance; and oaths of loyalty are renewed. (I'm taking inspiration from rooms where mighty warlords display weapons taken as trophies from their now-dead enemies, in the films The Storm Riders and The Assassins.)

Thanks for the input, Bjorn. "Klingon Marines" was one of the first things I'd suggested about the Taurans, so to see you talking about the Jem'Hadar is a pleasant surprise. The idea of "strength through strife" was inspired by "Victory is life," so that's a nice element of full-circle synchronicity!

With the origins section settled for now, I'm turning my attention to the "Homeworld" section of the IA article.

As it stands, we have spoken about the Taurans having had a world which was then abandoned after the Taurans' actions during the Nova Terra Interregnum and their penance crusade. My thoughts (as mentioned above) centre around the idea that during the Taurans' stewardship of the world, its people saw many advances, moving from nomadic tribalism to city-based industrialism - but that with the Taurans gone, the cityfolk have returned back to their nomadic ways, shunning the cities in a way similar to the Taurans shunning the wider Imperium as a whole.

A first draft from this morning's writing:

HOMEWORLD

As of .M42, the fleets of the Taurans are nomadic and far-ranging, roaming across the darkness of the Imperium Nihilus in a manner not that dissimilar to the ancestral tribes of far Chogoris. Scattered reports exist of the Taurans taking eligible youths from the disparate worlds visited during their campaigns; children hardened by the crucible of war and the suffering they have witnessed. Children united by their furious desire to revisit that destruction upon the Emperor's foes.

The World-that-Was

The world of XXXXX was claimed by the Taurans early in their existence by ancestral right and force of arms. A small verdant planet, it appealed to the nascent Chapter due to its similarity to the White Scars' homeworld. The peoples of the world were nomadic, travelling untold distances with their livestock as they migrated from continent to continent. These were a proud and hardy people, living in harmony with their herds and giving thanks to the Emperor for each meal. When war broke out between the scattered tribes it would be ferocious and short-lived...

When the Taurans arrived upon XXXXX, the construction of their Fortress-Monastery began. Built at the foothills of the largest mountain range on XXXXX, it could be seen from many miles around, and the nomadic tribes would travel to trade with their new overlords. As time passed, temporary shanties around the monastery grew into a established settlements. The old nomadic ways were abandoned by many, who saw the value and wealth that the Astartes could bring. The Taurans, for their part, sought to reward the XXXXXians for their loyalty. Many were inducted into the Chapter as valued serfs and retainers.

• 4 weeks later...

For many thousands of years, the Taurans served as benevolent overlords, uplifting the tribespeople and offering them the benefits of civilisation. But the people of XXXXX, primitive as they were, could have little conception of the war for the galaxy that raged above them. To the wider Imperium, this was known as the war of the two Empires, the Nova Terra Interregnum, in which the Imperium was split in twain. Most of the Chapters of the Astartes carefully declared neutrality, their Chapter Masters choosing to avoid being caught up in the petty squabbles of men when they sought instead to protect Mankind.

The Taurans, brash and emboldened with youthful impetuosity, took another path...

But what was their path?

We have to assume that they chose the "wrong side" - siding with the Ur-Council of Nova Terra. This means that when the Interregnum ends, they are on the wrong side of history and are punished. I don't think it benefits the article to spend a great deal of time dwelling on this - I don't want to get into obsessive detail about who said what, as these events are 5 millennia old at this point, and they simply serve a purpose - but I am curious if anyone has any input on this.

Thanks hugely in advance,

Mol.

CM, I think you're doing great work with this, I'm using it as a rough outline where I want to get the Dragons of Caliban too... still have to get around to putting up my rough outline of them still...

As for your question about deep details, I think glossing over it for now is a solid idea, since you can always go back later if you want too.

Perhaps a blood debt owed to one of the great houses of the Ur-Council compels the Taurans to choose sides

This is a good explanation. Details will be required regarding WHAT the Ur-Council did to make an Astartes Chapter feel it owed the former a blood debt. Maybe the Taurens suffered heavy casualties in a campaign, and the Ur-Council supplied the Chapter with a large number of slave-boys with which to rebuild- boys that grew up to become servitors, Chapter serfs, and Marines, meaning many Taurens identify with the Nova Terra Interregnum instead of Holy Terra?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Perhaps a blood debt owed to one of the great houses of the Ur-Council compels the Taurans to choose sides

This is a good explanation. Details will be required regarding WHAT the Ur-Council did to make an Astartes Chapter feel it owed the former a blood debt. Maybe the Taurens suffered heavy casualties in a campaign, and the Ur-Council supplied the Chapter with a large number of slave-boys with which to rebuild- boys that grew up to become servitors, Chapter serfs, and Marines, meaning many Taurens identify with the Nova Terra Interregnum instead of Holy Terra?

I think you've hit on a good idea. Providing the Taurans the resources necessary to rebuild would be just the thing to bind them in debt to one or more houses of the Ur-Council. Although I think they could draw needed man-power from their homeworld. Technical and material support would however be equally needed and welcomed.

On the whole the Nova Terra Interregnum is an interesting (and very open) piece of Imperial lore. This was not just a power grab by the Ur-Council, but a genuine reaction to the corruption and in-fighting that plagued the Imperium at this time. The Taurans were idealistic enough to have more sympathy for the Ur-Council than the High Lords of Terra. But I don't think they would be so foolish as to declare open support of the Ur-Council. They would try to maintain a degree of neutrality, while protecting their sphere of influence from unwarranted aggression.

• 1 month later...

The big appeal to me about the Nova Terra Interregnum is that it's morally very grey – more like Badab than the Horus Heresy – and also that it is tied up with and immediately followed by the rise of the Ecclesiarchy over the Administratum. The implication I took from that is that it becomes clear the colourless nature of the munitorum is no longer sustenance enough for humankind; that the Imperium must have symbols and faith to cling to, rather than data.

Secondly, the twin Imperiums are eventually reconciled. It would be interesting to see that happen with a bit more external influence – i.e. both sides still believe they're right, but they don't have the strength to stand individually. Such a result for the Taurans might see them censured but unpunished – purely because neither side has the wherewithal to enforce the punishiment. That could feed into a contempt for the new united Imperium; a bridling sense of indiginity that's held in check by stubborn duty rather than true belief in the Imperium's laws.

While these are quite high level concepts for an in-universe force, it would be interesting to see the Tauran's reasons for getting involved – but I rather like the idea that they are trying to do the right thing – that they follow the rules and are disillusioned. That's a very 40k idea.

Perhaps the Chapter Master rather naively gets involved in a dispute that escalates beyond his ability to contain it?