The Iron Gauntlet DIY Challenge - 2010

Brother Argent

An ancient space marine emerges from the darkness, his Legio armour battered and worn, yet still lovingly cared for through a thousand years of battle. Service studs dot his forehead and his face is a criss cross of ancient scars. The grizzled veteran looks you up and down critically, as if his gaze can see your soul. After a few seconds he grunts, clearly not impressed. Still staring at you coldly he removes one of his ceramite gauntlets. There is a hiss of pressurised air as he disconnects the ancient piece from his armour. Without a change in expression he throws the glove onto the hard ground.

" Think your Chapter is worthy, whelp? Prove it to me! Take up my challenge. See if you are as worthy as you think!" he snarls, his voice gravelly and full of contempt. You slowly reach down. With your hand inches away from the gaunlet. As your hand closes around the ceramite armour you glance up at the veterans face. There is a gleam in his one remaining human eye and a crooked msile on his lips.

Its here, ladies and gentlemen. The inaugural Iron Gauntlet DIY Challenge. For those whom weren't following the ideas thread for this I explain what this is. I set a personal goal for 2010 to develop a new DIY Chapter, in models, fluff and an IA article. I then decided, to make things interesting, I was going to challenge people to do the same. Thus I'm throwing down the gauntlet.

The Iron Gauntlet will consist of FIVE challenges that I will announce as we come to their start. These challenges will range from devolping an IA to painting modesl etc. By the end of the challenges a participant whom has completed all the challenges will have a fully devloped and ready to play DIY Chapter army. Note that Challengers DO NOT have to take part in all Five Challenges, but may chose what ones suit their fancy.

Completion of any of the Challenges will result in the challenger recieving a signature image. As a player completes each Challenge an image is added to their signature to show their achievements. Completion of a number of challenges results in a reward signature for being a good sport. Each Challenge has a number of criteria that will result in the Challenger gaining one of four ranks: Failure, Bronze, Silver and Gold. What rank a Challenger achieved is represented in their signture. Completion of gold level in all five challenges results in a special signature.

Challengers may dispute their ranking on each challenge via PM to me and I will investigate any dispute fairly and thorougly or, if I feel I need to, will consult the Mods. Bear in mind that once you have appealed a ranking and a result has been decided, that result is final. There are no second appeals etc.

Because this is a inaugural Iron Gauntlet some rules may be required to change as we go, however they WILL NOT Change during a challenge.

The Chapter you enter can be a Chapter either under development in the Liber Astartes or a Chapter you have not yet started writing. Whilst someone may enter a Chapter already in the Librarium it is prefered if the Chapter hasn't yet reached Librarium status and if you do enter such a Chapter you obviously can't participate in the First Challenge (see below). Chapters can be Loyalist, Renegade, Traitor or anything else.

Challengers can enter challenges with different Chapters (As long as their all your DIYs). This, of course, isn't as cool as completing every challenge with the same Chapter.

For any further questions do not hesitate to PM me and I'll update this post accordingly.

Challenge the Second

Challenge the Second WIP Thread

Challengers whom have accepted the gauntlet:

- Solomon de Gravier - The Broken Wings: IA

- Ferrata - TBA:

- Silver Phoenix - Star Wardens: IA

- Sigismund Himself - TBA

- Starblayde - Angels Eternal : IA

- Ace Debonair - The Stonebound IA

- space wolf - Sons of Anubis IA

- Ghost Legion - Shadow Lords

- Captain Josef - TBA

- Octavulg - Bronze Prophets

- Lucius Raziel - Astral Dragons IA

- Nephilim - The Nephilim IA

- Ultimate Jake - War Saints IA

- Brother Cambrius - Death Riders

- Dark Uncle2003 - Emerald Lament

- Neophyte of Slaneesh - Manticore Brethren

- Reyner - Ghost Dragons IA

- Ferrus Manus - Mourning Souls IA

- The Unborn IA

- Strike Commander Lysiachus - Iron Gods

- Brother Alucard - Brotherhood of Dorn

- Destaro - Ashen Guard

- Hubernator - Phantoms

- Argon - Oblivion Knights IA

- Landmine Marathon - Sons of Calidon

- Dark Apostle Thirst - Lords of Shadow

- Dark Apostle Thirst - Vengence of Corax

- Viva La Jade - Sons of Volturi

- Plague Angel - TBA

- Adeptus Davidus - Blackfeather Raiders

- Mordray - Void Reavers

- Captain Nightengel - Shadow Knights

- Sgt Cotys - Bears Rampant/ Brotherhood of Ash

- KingHongKong - Death Heads

- InquisitorHayn - Fenian Wraiths

- Battle-Brother Ludovic - White Ravens IA

- Curator - Favoured Souls

- Hasaroth - Reavers

- King Willy - Chosen of Mallius IA

- Lt. Smash - Penitent Devils

- Modis - Shadow Riders

- Maleagant - Arch Angels Chapter

- Jonas Stormclaw - Swords of Dorn

- Emperors Chosen - Storm Falcons

- Master Exorcist - Dragon Claws

- Angelfire - Stormguard

- RagingGriffon - Dynasty of Blood IA

- Metal Slime - Wasted Youth

- Grimdarkness - Knights Charon

- Brother Captain Alecto - Twilights's Hand IA

- captainawsm - Templars Furioso

- AngelsofRedemption - Angels of Redemption

- pvt. parts - Black Knights

- Gil Galed - Night ScorpionsIA

- Marshal Renatus - Ghost Falcons

- Hevra - Lions of Taliskar

- War Angel - Eagles Eternal - IA

- Firefist - Promethean Fists - IA

- Rabidus- Steel Raptors - IA

- Axlbush - Scythes of Dorn IA

- Captain_Roane - White Templars

- Brother_Kaelgrim - The Frost WyrmsIA

- Tasche - Strike Wyverns

- Hasdurbal - Pandora Chapter IA

- Thoughtweaver- Sons of the Dragon

- 689 - Heralds of the Storm

- David the Despoiler - Burning Eclipse IA

- Inquisitor Xenthor - Celestial Phantoms IA

- Legoss - Fallen Sons

- Kadris - Storm Scars

- eldarranger - Seekers of the Raven

- Oelber - Bronze Weasils

- Madolf Shadowmane - Hounds of the Hunt IA

- Perry T - Wolverines

- Daer'dd - Stalking Bears

- Capitano - Ultra-Templars

- Jorgen Tagg - Black Razors IA

- Yogi - Ravagers

- dangerousdan73 - Jade Warlords - IA

- Hrvat - Sons of Amit IA

- VENGEANCE - Vengeful Angels

- eleventh marine - Devoted Sons

- The Weeping Magician - Apostels of Redemption

- Captain Myr - Dragoons

- Brother Alextos - Angels Encarmine

- Hobo Willie - Celestial Swords

- Chapter Master Killian - Deathclaws

Challenge the First

The first Challenge of the inaugural Iron Gauntlet DIY Challenge is this:

Complete to Librarium quality an IA for your DIY Chapter.

Makes sense, I suppose. If you want to have a DIY Challenge Chapter you have to have an IA to tell us all what its all about. There army many guides and links of the B&C here, both for writing an IA as well as getting articles ready for Librarium status. There are also a wealthy of people here in the Liber whom have already achieved such a glorious feat. This challenge, whilst seemingly the easiest is probably the hardest and most certainly the most important. So dont pull any punches and get writing.

The three ranks for this challenge are as follows:

Bronze Quill - Write and submit an IA for your DIY Chapter

Silver Quill - Write and submit an IA for your Chapter. Also make at least ten constructive comments on other IAs

Gold Quill - Write and submit an IA for your Chapter. Also make 20+ constructive comments on other IAs.

NOTE: Constructive comments means any comment that helps the writer improve thei article, or comments that offer sensible advice. Not comments like: " Wow, great!" or "It sucks." People making such comments will be looked upon disfavouraly and may have points taken off their post count.

The Deadline for this first challenge is the 7th May 2010. This gives you four months.

Challengers' IAs will be linked from the first post on this page so sign up and get writing, reading and commenting.

To register for this Challenge or any others make the following statement:

I, ,your name>, of the <Chapter name> take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor (or Dark Gods) curse me if I fail. Please leave or PM me a link to your Chapter so I can update the first post.

EDIT: Wow, people accepting the first challenge before I even laid it down...

I'm sorry for the interuption, but I have taken the moderation decision to alter this challenge. I have removed the requirement for the IAs to be part of the challange as I do not want all the most activer feedbackers to be locked on only doing these chapters. In fact, I would suggest if SP wishes so, that a number of the feedback posts should be to chapters outside of the challenge - Ferrata

I,Silver Phoenix , of the Star Wardens take up MY Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fello challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor (or Dark Gods) curse me if I fail

I, Sigismund Himself, of the Librarium take up the DIY Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor curse me if I fail.

Hopefully the IA should be up in public around the 30th, I still want to rub off the rough corners before I release it.

++Edit++ SP, my chapter is TBA, rather than the Librarium . Apologies for the confusion.

In the finest purple-painted ceraminte, the Astartes stands proud before the member of the Legio. The gauntlet, cast onto the floor, lies as a testament to the will of the mighty Space Marines, famed across the galaxy as the Emperor's finest. Many have gone before, across the centuries, to write their names on the walls of glory, forever to remain. From now until eternity.

Eternity.

The Astartes crouches down, his own white gauntlets clasping around that thrown down before him. He stands, holding the armoured fist out before him. Undaunted he speaks, blurring the lines between IC and OOC as, in the distance, the Fourth Wall shatters, sending shards of razor-sharp glass scattering across untold keyboards.

"I, Starblayde, of the Angels Eternal take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor curse me if I fail."

Random notes: the current WIP IA article for the Angels Eternal will be posted anew with a refresh, so as not to give readers 3 pages of comments and ideas to read through first. My personal goal in this first challenge is to take what I already have to make it Librarium quality, as well as a more general one of being more involved in this community.

I, Solomon de Gravier, of the venerable chapter of the Broken Wing take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the Legio to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor and Sanguinius curse me and all of my kin if we fail.

Hmm? Oh, it's going now?

Right then. Ahem.

I, Ace Debonair, take up your Challenges. I vow before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete a brand new IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor get out of bed and kick me in the nuts if I fail.

IA: The Stonebound

Here we are. Judge my work whenever you like.

I, the mighty Space Wolf, the Lord of storm and sky;

the Ferox Imperceptus, I hold my Frostblade high.

I accept you challenge, with a hearty laugh;

the battle is almost nigh.

The Sons of Anubis will win this contest;

and mine legend will never die.

++Edit++ apparently I don't follow directions well :tu:

I, space wolf, of the Sons of Anubis take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor curse me if I fail.

heh.

Ghostlegion and the Shadow Lords accept the challenge. I will complete the IA: Shadow Lords, accepting thoughtfully all comments and inputs past, present and future. I will turn my eyes on the submissions of all others accepting the challenge and attempt to assist my fellows in their endeavour (and yes, some of you know what that means :tu: ). And I will accept the mocking and banner of shame should I fail in this challenge.

This being said, the usual suspects may expect a revised version of the Shadow Lords to appear in the coming days...too much time and effort on my (and other's) part has gone into this for it not to be completed this year!

I, Brother Captain Josef, of the chapter TBA take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor (or Dark Gods) curse me if I fail.

I was going to go with Angels of Deliverence chapter name but I do remember seeing somewhere that someone on this forum already has is?! Should be a good bit of fun though.

Best of luck everyone!

Just because you guys seem to be doing colourful entries...

I, Ferrata, Veteran Brother of the Wings of Death, sons of the Lions Sanguine, Plague of the Aetherius Stars, Executioner of Those Who Shall Not Be Named, First of Ynsoldea, Loyal Servants on the Bleeding Goddess, pledge my scribed heart to the challenge. By the eve of seventh night of the fifth month I shall have put forth my sacrifice to the alter of Liber and asked those who stare down upon it to give their judgement. In doing so, I will let no brother falter, even if he follows the rotting corpse of The God-Emperor, no brother shall fail in their challenge and all shall be equal in the eyes of the Broken Saviour. This is what I pledged, and neither my pride nor my body shall be found lacking.

firstly, how do you create an IA article?

i'm a real noob so that's why i ask... :tu:

secondly, i thought of creating a chapter with the name of Iron Fists, but they already exit...can i do it anyway?

thanks

BB Ludovic

To answer your questions;

To create an IA article, create a post and write. Most people will write them in Word first (to remove spelling mistakes) and also use the BBcode to create the banners you see in the Librarium.

Can you use the name Iron Fists? If it is another DIY chapter then yes, there is nothing stopping you. If it is a GW chapter, then you should follow any background there is out there for that chapter but besides that you can run with it.

To answer your questions;

To create an IA article, create a post and write. Most people will write them in Word first (to remove spelling mistakes) and also use the BBcode to create the banners you see in the Librarium.

Can you use the name Iron Fists? If it is another DIY chapter then yes, there is nothing stopping you. If it is a GW chapter, then you should follow any background there is out there for that chapter but besides that you can run with it.

ok thank you,

it is a GW chapter but there is no fluff or info about them...only a colour scheme that i don't really like...oh well...i'll have to find something else...

what is this BBcode banner thingy?

BB Ludovic

I, Octavulg, of the Bronze Prophets (among other things) take up the DIY Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor curse me if I fail.

Oh - two questions.

Later on, when we get to the army stage, I was hoping to paint an army for Epic rather than for 40K. Is that OK?

And is there going to be massed objection to using the Bronze Prophets? They're only on their second draft.

I, Lucas Raziel of the Astral Dragons take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fello challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor (or Dark Gods) curse me if I fail.

off to work n my pantheon then ;)

I doubt anyone will object.

I hope no one objects. If someone does (well, someone whose opinion I care about :D), then I've got to paint Steel Dogs (for 40K - the Epic army is too far along). Considering the whole point of the Steel Dogs is to cut up and reassemble RT-era beakies so they don't look like they have some horrible bone disease, I don't want to do that. I'm not sure I ever want to.

Or I could finish the Stone Hearts, but I don't really feel like it. ;) It also doesn't line up with my immediate gaming plans quite so neatly.

Also, Ace - there's no reason you shouldn't use the Infinity Knights (or the Red Lords or one of the others). Indeed, I'd recommend it on some levels.

We, the Nephilim, splintered warband of the Emperor's Children take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Dark Prince curse me if I fail.

Here's my Index Traitoris: The Nephilim.

I, Brother Cambrius, of the Death Riders take up your Challenges. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete an IA article and submit it to the Librarium before the 7th May 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IAs to the best of my ability. May the Emperor curse me if I fail.

Cambrius

I DarkUncle2003, guiding hand of the Emerald Lamenters, vow before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete a brand new IA article and submit it to the Librarium before 7th May, 2010. I vow to support my fellow challengers with their IA's to the best of my abilities. May the Emperor Protect us in our time of trial! May the Dark Gods curse me if I fail.

Archived