The Guilliman Heresy

Olis

See, this is a bit more believable than the BA turning to Papa Nurgle, but, I can't say I personally like what happened to my favorite Legion :wink:  

I think you're thinking of the Dornian Heresy, with the Nurglite BA. Ours is Khornate. However, if you think there's something you can suggest to make our story more believable, then please do speak up. :)

So then, onto Guilliman Heresy thoughts. I've been wondering about more visual representations of what we have so far. To that end I specifically have Lucernius (maps), Iron Hands Fanatic (FW-alike infantry and vehicle shots) and ColdWinter (possibly more maps and FW-alike page write-ups) in mind. I haven't yet approached any of them and I have yet to find out if they have the time to do requests, let alone have the inclination.

Examples:

Lucernius

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292767-the-liber-cluster/?p=3962047

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/292767-the-liber-cluster/?p=3963171

Iron Hands Fanatic:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/286821-ihfs-hh-designs-0101-cinder-born-thureos-transport/

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/295603-30k-vehicle-automata-concepts-phobos-vertex-combi-bolter/?p=3945930

ColdWinter

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/299830-forge-masters-sanctum/

Of course, ColdWinter is part of a group that does the items in his thread, so I think asking him would involve also asking his group too.

IHF I was familiar with already, and he's done some pretty wicked stuff. Hadn't seen ColdWinter's thread before, but instantly followed.

All three look like they could come up with something pretty good for the Guilliman Heresy, if they accept requests.

I know ColdWinter must, because he's doing something for Athrawes, but I don't know if it's a friendly request or a commission.

See, this is a bit more believable than the BA turning to Papa Nurgle, but, I can't say I personally like what happened to my favorite Legion :wink:  

I think you're thinking of the Dornian Heresy, with the Nurglite BA. Ours is Khornate. However, if you think there's something you can suggest to make our story more believable, then please do speak up. :smile.:

Signus Prime could be the turning point in the BA fall to Khorne. But what drew them there, en masse? 

-Use the 'Fear to Tread' storyline, with 'Warmaster' Rowbutt Girlyman at the reigns and IX Legion falling as predicted

-Red Thirst's pace quickens, eventually consming entire Legion, save for a few. Then you have a World Eaters' style of internal purge.

Just a couple ideas off the top of my head. I'm looking forward to more!

Az

The current idea is that, at Signus Prime, Sanguinius is put into a comatose situation. During this time, his Legion degenerates further and further into Khorne's grasp, though not willingly nor are they aware. Because of Sanguinius' close connection with his sons, through their blood, the corruption of the Legion seeps into Sanguinius during his most vulnerable time. So that when he wakes up, he is inevitably bound to Khorne, whatever his true feelings on the matter. And he does struggle against it, but once Khorne is in him, he is unable to escape.

One of the main reasons why we have Sanguinius go straight for Angron, and be so hell-bent on dueling the Emperor, is because he still has that, in the back of his mind, this resistance to what he has become. A resistance that does, eventually, get broken down. Or maybe it still exists, but is now externalized as the Sanguinor. Nobody knows.

The current idea is that, at Signus Prime, Sanguinius is put into a comatose situation. During this time, his Legion degenerates further and further into Khorne's grasp, though not willingly nor are they aware. Because of Sanguinius' close connection with his sons, through their blood, the corruption of the Legion seeps into Sanguinius during his most vulnerable time. So that when he wakes up, he is inevitably bound to Khorne, whatever his true feelings on the matter. And he does struggle against it, but once Khorne is in him, he is unable to escape.

One of the main reasons why we have Sanguinius go straight for Angron, and be so hell-bent on dueling the Emperor, is because he still has that, in the back of his mind, this resistance to what he has become. A resistance that does, eventually, get broken down. Or maybe it still exists, but is now externalized as the Sanguinor. Nobody knows.

But, what orders Sanguinius to Signus? When the IX Legion was sent, Horus had already fallen way into Chaos. What draws the X Legion to Tzeentch on Mars? 

Or will I have to wait for the IA? :wink:

Nope, my bad, had to refamiliarize myself with our own lore just now. Signus is not involved, because as you said, the players involved are not the same.

What happens instead is a bit more heavy handed. With the trap at Signus going unsprung, the Blood God instead devastates an entire swathe of worlds around the Blood Angels Legion, trapping them and flooding them with an impossible army of daemons. When Sanguinius goes down, and after the Librarians are slaughtered by blood-crazed brothers, the Blood Angels' flaws are brought to the fore by the proximity of the Warp's corrupting touch. As the Blood Angels grow more and more Khornate, as they battle Khornate forces, the sleeping Sanguinius is in turn corrupted due to his empathetic link to his sons.

As for the Iron Hands: in canon, the Emperor's Children are a study in how a Legion that is not predisposed towards a particular Chaos God could still end up taken by such through the corruption of just one prominent member, Fulgrim and his sword.

Ferrus Manus is dead, and Gabriel Santar, last seen dragging his father's body to safety, is missing, along with the body. He does, eventually, return, likely with a believable tale of his escape from the massacres on Miral. But at this point, he has been taken by Tzeentch. Whatever happened to him on Miral, however he gained his freedom, he has been corrupted.

The Iron Hands are not aware of this, and welcome him back to their fold. No longer shattered, they can bind themselves back together under his command. Santar takes the Legion out of the war under the pretense of protecting what domains and allies remain to them, which at this point is perceived to be only Mars, Medusa, and affiliates. It is a Tzeentchian plot, to remove the Legion from the war as it slowly, insidiously corrupts itself and, in turn, affects the Mechanicum. Now, this plot doesn't come to full fruition until after the Heresy, but it inevitably does come to fruition.

With such an internal problem like that, it very well could keep them out of the Siege of Terra. Or, if it happened at just the right time, the BA appear to slaughter the populace of Terra.

Possibly when around the time of the Isstavan atrocity? Or, seeing as the XIII and the IX Legions didn't hate each other, the BA could pledge support during said massacre? However, they weren't exactly buddy-buddy.

This is a very interesting puzzle.

Az

How's this so far? Be honest.

Farewell to the King

Hrafn Mjornir stepped to the cliff edge amongst his pack brothers. Bar none wore their helms this day of all days. The sky was overcast and there was a whip to the air, pulling at pelts and hair and beards. All along the troubled waterline and the adjoining cliffs stood the Vlka Fenrika and their vassals. Interspersed at irregular intervals stood those not of the Wolf-kind. Sons of the Red Cyclops had come to pay their respects with their heads down in silence, despite their dire duties abroad, as had Lorgar’s children - Imperial Heralds knelt where they could be found.

Ocean spray framed the shores with spume, carried there on tides that no man could tame. The sound of waves on the rocks all but ignored by the grieving sons of the Sixth Legion, events unfolding on the shingle beach proving far more important.

Clad in full battle plate, the Wolf King lay on a ceremonial drakkar along with his personal arms and the body of Freki, dead since the Medusa Cull. Mountains of dead Iron Hands had accompanied the Great Wolf into death’s cold embrace, the floor slick with vital fluids and the mobile fortress he breathed his last upon wrecked.

It feels...stuttery is the best word I can come up with. Like you're stuck between poetry and prose, almost. I like where you've started from, truly, but it doesn't have the right flow yet.

I don't want to say much more, as I fear I'll come across as an ass while you're writing something that I very much want to read the entirety of.

If you'd like, I can draw something up on this.

How's this so far? Be honest.

Farewell to the King

Hrafn Mjornir stepped to the cliff edge amongst his pack brothers. Bar none wore their helms this day of all days. The sky was overcast and there was a whip to the air, pulling at pelts and hair and beards. All along the troubled waterline and the adjoining cliffs stood the Vlka Fenrika and their vassals. Interspersed at irregular intervals stood those not of the Wolf-kind. Sons of the Red Cyclops had come to pay their respects with their heads down in silence, despite their dire duties abroad, as had Lorgar’s children - Imperial Heralds knelt where they could be found.

Ocean spray framed the shores with spume, carried there on tides that no man could tame. The sound of waves on the rocks all but ignored by the grieving sons of the Sixth Legion, events unfolding on the shingle beach proving far more important.

Clad in full battle plate, the Wolf King lay on a ceremonial drakkar along with his personal arms and the body of Freki, dead since the Medusa Cull. Mountains of dead Iron Hands had accompanied the Great Wolf into death’s cold embrace, the floor slick with vital fluids and the mobile fortress he breathed his last upon wrecked.

It feels...stuttery is the best word I can come up with. Like you're stuck between poetry and prose, almost. I like where you've started from, truly, but it doesn't have the right flow yet.

I don't want to say much more, as I fear I'll come across as an ass while you're writing something that I very much want to read the entirety of.

If you'd like, I can draw something up on this.

Sure, take a crack at it brother. This is something that has fallen by the wayside when it wasn't intended to.

The first action of the Blood Angels following this event is at a world that will come to be known as Armageddon, a name it will earn on this day, when the Blood Angels go to war against the War Hounds and Angron.

Now the War Hounds are Loyalists, which effectively seals the Blood Angels as Traitors, but there is the possibility of there being more to this than that. Like I said, there is still some resistance to what Sanguinius has become. Maybe Sanguinius led an assault on the XII Legion because he was now the puppet-monster of Khorne.

Or maybe because there was that small part of him that believed, that hoped, that Angron would kill him.

But when it is over, as Sanguinius screams in pain as his shredded wings lie still upon bloodied rocks, as Angron kneels in cold, dead silence, impaled through by a brother's swords . . .

Resistances can be broken, and not even the Angel can resist the will of a God forever.

The first action of the Blood Angels following this event is at a world that will come to be known as Armageddon, a name it will earn on this day, when the Blood Angels go to war against the War Hounds and Angron.

Now the War Hounds are Loyalists, which effectively seals the Blood Angels as Traitors, but there is the possibility of there being more to this than that. Like I said, there is still some resistance to what Sanguinius has become. Maybe Sanguinius led an assault on the XII Legion because he was now the puppet-monster of Khorne.

Or maybe because there was that small part of him that believed, that hoped, that Angron would kill him.

But when it is over, as Sanguinius screams in pain as his shredded wings lie still upon bloodied rocks, as Angron kneels in cold, dead silence, impaled through by a brother's swords . . .

Resistances can be broken, and not even the Angel can resist the will of a God forever.

I like this, i can imagine that i'm there, when i read this thread. Maybe you could put a cynical last voicing for poor sanguinus. I have 1 idea.

as sanguinus is dying, he thinks that he'll be at peace but it's not do peace as a voice appears in his head." the god of blood and skulls can not be denied little angel, you belong to khorne, now RISE!" sanguinus's eyes snap open, with the maddened look, and he arises from where he fell. He's howling in hate and anguish that he cannot die, and that he has slain his brother.

I borrowed that idea of an angel defying a god. sounds like a reverse biblical tale of the fall of Lucifer.

• 2 years later...

I know the thread's died, but I just needed to drop in and say that The Guilliman Heresy has become my "THING" for just over a year now. I discovered it when I'd recently returned to the hobby after.... seven years. Having quit just after High School for many reasons, including GW prices going up and up in Australia. I came back after a local GW store opened up in town and got slowly sucked back in.  I found out about the Betrayal At Calth set and about Forge World (and that referring to The Horus Heresy era had arbitrarily become referring to "30k") and started saving up accordingly. Pre-Heresy or Heresy-era Marines is something I've always always always wanted to do. Let alone an entire ARMY.

But what could have been a phase, or something I grew weary of after a few years, is now set in stone. And it's entirely thanks to The Guilliman Heresy. Instead of being eternally depressed by 40k lore and it's seemingly unchanging nature, it means I can be a fan of something that isn't quite as grimdark and depressing. The Emperor is alive, my favourite Legions are still loyalists, and the Ultrasmurfs that GW always glorify as perfect and flawless beings, are the arch-traitors. Really, for my money the Ultramarines are the only other contender besides the SoH for that role.

So for the past year my main creative and hobby pursuits have been this, or my own particular take on it. Fleshing out one little thing at a time and working hard on it to make it feel as definitive and real as the canon timeline. It's the Prime Universe as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

I say my own take on it because some things are probably different from the original intention. And recently I decided that I really wanted the Raven Guard falling to Tzeentch, during the Heresy. Iron Hands still fall, but as Chaos Undivided, the flipside of Iron Warriors. I did my best to make it as clever and well-orchestrated as possible, like I was Tzeentch myself luring Corax at a point of absolute desperation. It just makes sense to me, and fits with the whole "avian" theme of Tzeentch. And the Raptors become basically the Gal Vorbak equivalent.

I also decided to downplay the rivalry between Guilliman and the Lion a little bit, as the Lion is the Lorgar of the storyline, so he needs to keep his alleigance a secret and set the events of the Heresy in motion, with the help of Zahariel El'Zurias and Kor Phaeron (Phaeron lands on Caliban shortly after the destruction of Monarchia, and the two really hit it off) Tarik Torgaddon and Garviel Loken form a renegade warband called the Tourniquet who worship the Emperor as a God, but it quickly goes sour as half of them are corrupted by Malal, and the other half flee into what turns out to be Khan space (because I thought they deserved some good fortune).

I don't know if the setting for the Heresy being mid-M31 is intentional, but it didn't sit right with me, so instead it's mid-century, the first century of M31. About 50 years after the time frame of the Horus Heresy in canon, which means I have a lot of work to do filling in the gaps with even that amount of time, let alone 500 years.

So it's a mix of the basic plot outlines and whatever I could find from here, and my own ideas and fleshing out of various things. It's such an expansive project that a year is just me getting started. But it's ultimately my own version at this point, with most of the broad strokes of what happens being the same.

All of my artwork and lore for TGH can be found here:

http://guilliman-heretic.deviantart.com/gallery/59858771/The-Guilliman-Heresy-Artwork

http://guilliman-heretic.deviantart.com/gallery/63424110/The-Guilliman-Heresy-Lore

Plus an Emperor's Children army in there somewhere. I switched to Death Guard when Burning of Prospero came out, (Garro's Heroes of Calth) but at some point I'm going to be collecting Sons of Horus, with the idea being them as the posterboys, the Green Ultramarines. I'm thinking gold trim as much as possible, and white/gold Justaerin to commemorate Horus' armor when he died, and to exorcise the memory of Abaddon's savagery.

SPACE HULK JUSTAERIN would make a great game.

Edited by GuillimanHeretic

I am greatly humbled by your interest and continuing works within the GH alt-verse, brother. I have had the intention to create a third thread for a long time now, and yet Moderator duties and life in general compete with my other commitments on the board, hence the project sitting on the back-burner for far too long.

Indeed, there is even an official image for the GH that I commissioned a while ago that's deserving the light of day. I really must see about firing this up again. Preferably before Christmas. :tongue.:

Edited by Olis

You've done us a great honor, brother, to see how much of an impact our collective work has had with you. I look forward to checking out your artwork and reading your lore. It's nice to see that you've even taken the project in different directions, added your own personal touch and preferences. In fact, I kinda like the idea that the elite Sons of Horus would bear the colors of Horus's white and gold, for instance. You might see some of it incorporated. :wink:

As Olis mentions, the project has been on a long hiatus but never truly forgotten or discarded. The Guilliman Heresy will return.

Let us not forget that much has happened in canon in the years since we started this, and even since we put this on hiatus. Both in the 30k timeframe and the 40k one. There is much to talk about, consider and write. It has always been a long road. We knew this. It's just a matter of keeping on walking. ;)

Yeah, about that, I had a couple of ideas.

First one was long after the last of the Primarchs have died, and the Heirarchs as well. Fabius Bile (in his Dreadnought form) has gotten permission from the Emperor to create a clone of Horus. It'd be a time of great need, such as when the Imperium is beseiged by Necrons or Tyranids (probably Tyranids, they'd make even the Necrons look nice and probably force an alliance). Since the Emperor doesn't regard the Primarchs, even Horus, as his sons but as his creations. So pretty soon they have a clone Horus on their hands, with new weapons and armor.

The other thing I've been working on as a sketch is Guilliman in a massive suit of black/gold Terminator armor during the Heresy. (Based on the Tartaros pattern since Horus' was based on Cataphractii, and since Tartaros is probably more advanced, to show t ime has passed). My idea is that Belisarius Cawl (who was around during the Heresy) goes rogue and joins Guilliman's side. Though the Mechanicus is supposed to stay neutral during the Heresy there's always room for exceptions, and maybe he sows the seeds for the fracture that comes later, and the stubborn refusal of the Emperor's demands.

Cawl creates a suit of Terminator armor for Guilliman called the Armor of Destiny, which is supposedly able to protect him from death by holding him in a state of suspended animation in the suit, as long as the injury isn't too severe, and slowly heal over the millennia. Perhaps the Emperor isn't able to destroy him body and soul like with Horus, he's impaled by Drach'nyen and quickly surrounded by friends and foes before he can land the final blow, but by any mortal standards Guilliman should be dead.

Oh yeah, Guilliman ends up with Drach'nyen which he uses in the final duel on Macragge. Not exactly sure how yet, or how it's been bound into a sword.

The Marines themselves are supposedly improved upon over time, so there's no real need for Primaris Marines in this timeline.

I'm still not sure who should be the new leader of the Omega Legion after the Heresy, Guilliman's own version of Abaddon. Maybe Marius Gage, but I had him assassinated in the lore.

Holy :censored: , I actually smiled seeing this topic again.....

I'm not a writer, but am happy to contribute however I can to the continued effort :tu

Appreciate the offer. :thumbsup:

The other thing I've been working on as a sketch is Guilliman in a massive suit of black/gold Terminator armor during the Heresy. (Based on the Tartaros pattern since Horus' was based on Cataphractii, and since Tartaros is probably more advanced, to show t ime has passed). My idea is that Belisarius Cawl (who was around during the Heresy) goes rogue and joins Guilliman's side. Though the Mechanicus is supposed to stay neutral during the Heresy there's always room for exceptions, and maybe he sows the seeds for the fracture that comes later, and the stubborn refusal of the Emperor's demands.

Cawl creates a suit of Terminator armor for Guilliman called the Armor of Destiny, which is supposedly able to protect him from death by holding him in a state of suspended animation in the suit, as long as the injury isn't too severe, and slowly heal over the millennia. Perhaps the Emperor isn't able to destroy him body and soul like with Horus, he's impaled by Drach'nyen and quickly surrounded by friends and foes before he can land the final blow, but by any mortal standards Guilliman should be dead.

I'd be very interested to see that art when finished.

The Marines themselves are supposedly improved upon over time, so there's no real need for Primaris Marines in this timeline.

Indeed. The Primaris would work as a perfect stand-in for our post-Heresy legionaries, what with the Raven Guard's success in rebuilding their Legion.

Indeed. The Primaris would work as a perfect stand-in for our post-Heresy legionaries, what with the Raven Guard's success in rebuilding their Legion.

I don't exactly have that advantage ^^; but eventually. Though when I finally get around to Primaris Marines they'll be for a canon idea I had, so it's neither here nor there. It'll probably take me centuries to get past M31 in the GH timeline, at this rate.

Edited by GuillimanHeretic

Holy :censored: , I actually smiled seeing this topic again.....

Aye, me too, brother. Time may roll on, but the flame here is still kindled. :thumbsup:

I'm not a writer, but am happy to contribute however I can to the continued effort :tu

Actually, I think that would be smashing. Movement of any variety is what is needed, I believe. So, what are your strengths? What would you fancy doing? I know you have a touch of experience with image editing, iirc. I'd love to see what you can bring to the party. :biggrin.:

First one was long after the last of the Primarchs have died, and the Heirarchs as well. Fabius Bile (in his Dreadnought form) has gotten permission from the Emperor to create a clone of Horus. It'd be a time of great need, such as when the Imperium is beseiged by Necrons or Tyranids (probably Tyranids, they'd make even the Necrons look nice and probably force an alliance). Since the Emperor doesn't regard the Primarchs, even Horus, as his sons but as his creations. So pretty soon they have a clone Horus on their hands, with new weapons and armor.

An interesting avenue, brother. Something that broadly mirrors the Indomitus Crusade and the revival of Guilliman. 

As I have spoken to Conn already, there could be a Genetor involved who I'm tentatively giving the name Flavius Aberaeron (find the inspiration for this name and you win an internet cookie). However, the topic in that chat was the speculated return of Guilliman (which doesn't work out thanks to the DA's and instead we see the rise of the Lion instead). Either way, the idea is out there.

Oh yeah, Guilliman ends up with Drach'nyen which he uses in the final duel on Macragge. Not exactly sure how yet, or how it's been bound into a sword.

This is an interesting thread of thought - Guilliman beholding Drach'nyen would be an interesting circumstance to bring about, especially since the advent of Master of Mankind. But, regardless, having him in a primarch-tartaros suit sounds really quite cool to me, not least of all because I love the babby-Contemptor look. :happy.: 

I will concur with that. Primaris as they are in canon will not exist in the GH 'verse. However, as pointed out already, we have an early version/cousin to that development with Corax's successful post-astartes warriors. These will obviously be the blueprint for astartes 2.0 after the heresy and will not see any revolutionary change until the time of the Heirarchs. 

I'm still not sure who should be the new leader of the Omega Legion after the Heresy, Guilliman's own version of Abaddon. Maybe Marius Gage, but I had him assassinated in the lore.

Well... Gage has always been the go-to option for at least the early Omega Legion figurehead. What else we do with the idea is up in the air for now, I think. ^_^

I was thinking of maybe having Guilliman order Kor Phaeron and Zaharaiel to resurrect Gage, using a daemon to inhabit his body. like Tormageddon in canon. The process works, and even merges the remains of Gage's consciousness with the daemon, creating a new entity who calls himself the Lord Omega. He blackens his armor, inspiring other Ultramarines under his command to do the same. Eventually after Guilliman is slain by the Emperor and his dying body is put in stasis, the Omega Lord takes command and renames the Ultramarines the Omega Legion. Or something to that effect.

I'm not very good with names though, the only other name I could think of was Omegage, which sounds kinda silly...

Terminator-armored Guilliman is done. Keep in mind it's only a sketch, though.

http://i.imgur.com/BVfpgcA.jpg

http://guilliman-heretic.deviantart.com/art/The-Armor-of-Destiny-696522646

Despite proving themselves in battle, the Warmaster's impressive panoply of war became obsolete when faced with the monumental task of leading a rebellion against the Emperor. As the Heresy wore on, the improvements to Guilliman's armor reached its limit, and yet it was still flawed. As a master tactician, he sought as many advantages as possible, and with the help of the occult, his combat prowess increased many times over.

A rogue band of Adeptus Mechannicus adepts and warsmiths under the Magos Belisarius Cawl, began work on a secret project. As a token of their devotion to his cause, they created an intimidating suit of black Terminator armor for the Primarch, based on the highly successful Tartaros pattern. Incorporating the heraldry of the Thirteenth Legion and imbued with the powers of Chaos, it was given the blessings of all four of the Dark Gods themselves. The wrathful nature of Khorne, the excesses of Slaanesh, the corruption of Nurgle and the twisted sorcery of Tzeentch, all focused on a single suit of armor.

Adding to this, were Cawl's claim that the suit would protect the Warmaster from death itself. In the event of his demise, the suit itself would freeze him in suspended animation, protecting his body and soul and allowing his body to slowly heal over time. As Guilliman bargained for power from the Dark Gods, his ultimate goal was to dethrone Terra, which inevitably meant a final personal duel with the Emperor. To survive and crush the Emperor, the Warmaster needed the most potent tools of the Chaos pantheon at his disposal.

The Talon of Ultramar - A massive lightning claw, based on Guilliman's old power fist called the Hand of Dominion. Fitted with an underslung heavy bolter that could annihalate even the toughest of opponents, and with clawed fingers that tore through armor like it were made of paper, it had no equal even among the traitor forces. The Talon was built by Belisarius Cawl and his Dark Mechanicum followers as a companion to the Armor of Destiny itself, with the armor and the Talon designed to operate with perfect synthesis.

Drach'nyen -  An unweildy daemon sword of devastating power and speed. Due to its reality-bending nature, its weight was practically nonexistent, allowing the Warmaster to weild it freely in one and two handed form. Chaotic legends tell of how the Emperor personally bound the daemon to a sword, while knowing that the sword would spell the end of his physical body. Those same legends also spoke of how the daemon was born of the first killing performed by one human onto another in Terra's distant past. However the daemon has been known to take other forms, and the exact time and place this was supposed to have happened is unclear. 

All that is known is Guilliman's arduous journey to the Tower of Silence on Uralan, where the Chaos Gods themselves lock away their secrets. The Warmaster ventured alone into the Tower and emerged having discarded his old Gladius Incandor sword, which had already been warped and twisted almost beyond recognition. Weilding Drach'nyen, the Echo of the First Murder, the sword became an inspirational symbol of the rebellion. Striking fear and dread into the hearts of even the Emperor's most stalwart of soldiers and commanders, the sword symbolized the Emperor's possible death, for only Drach'nyen could totally destroy him in both body and soul.