The Brazen Spear - A Minotaurs Log

Halandaar

Well, I thought I might start myself a thread to keep my various musings in! I'm chipping away at a Minotaurs army, gradually adding things I don't need for the sole reason that I think they look cool. I'm not much of a painter but I enjoy a kitbash, many of which will probably scar this thread!

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0213_zpsttnmartq.jpg

This is the state of my forces at the moment. I'll try to add more individual unit pictures over time. Pretty much everything needs rebasing on to 32mm, and I'll take the opportunity to make a few touch ups here and there.

EDIT: Table of contents for picture posts:

HQ

TroopsElitesFast Attack
  • Land Speeder - WIP1 |
Heavy Support
  • Devastator Squads - WIP1 |

I was hoping to be able to keep the model largely intact, replacing shoulder pads and removing some of the more obvious Emperor's Children Iconography and swapping out the archaeotech pistol, but both arms (weapon, arm and shoulder pad) are single pieces so I'll need to do a bit more work. I imagine I'll magnetise at least the left wrist and backpack for more options.

In general it's a really nice model and would make a fitting power armoured chapter master for many! He's slightly taller than other Marines and his armour has a nice substantial look to it.

Ha Ha! I just got Eldolon for exactly the same reason! He's going to be my Minotaurs 3rd company captain (That way I can keep the 3 iconography on his armour) Doing a head swap with the fantasy Krell whos got a fantastic crested spartan helmet (just got to remove the skull and merge a marine helmet in) I look forward to seeing what you come up with though, its an amazing model to have a play with.

Great minds! I had the same thought about making him the 3rd Company Captain so I could keep the III's, but as I'm also using some of the Phoenix Terminators I need something that will work for them as well.

The Emperor's Children stuff really has a great aesthetic, the filigree on their armour plating matches really well with models like Hecaton Aiakos and Hamath Kraatos, and the faces in the Palatine Blades' armour really make me think of Greek style statues. I can see myself basing an honour guard squad on them.

Could we get some close-up shots of some of your marines?

I'm trying to figure out a brass scheme for some Khorne Daemonkin and would love to see how your Minotaurs look up close, for some inspiration.

I'll try to get a few at some point tomorrow. The scheme I used is very, very simple because painting is not something I'm especially good at (lack of patience I think). Combined with dodgy camera skills I'm not sure how good they'll be, but I'll have a go!

As requested, a few photos. Unfortunately they expose how I tend to skip over a quite a lot of details! Is there any easy way to reduce the size that photos display at without actually upload reduced-size photos?

Edit (9 March 2016): The above images were given of the models in my army prior to my work over the course of this thread. I'm largely considering these models to be worthy of selling, re-painting or re-purposing to better fit the scheme I've been working with since.

Returning to the Work-In-Progress nature of the log, I have an update on the progress of the Eidolon mini:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0022_zpsnktufyjo.jpg

Aside from the addition of a bit of Minotaurs brass-etch in a few places, I cut away the left shoulder and replaced it with a Minotaur pad. There's a small pin in the left wrist so I can swap the Grav Pistol out for other options if desired. I opted to just permanently fix the Jump Pack rather than magnetize. The head is a Sanguinary Guard helm with the surrounding crest cut away; i'm not entirely convinced I don't want to use the helm he comes with, but it looks pretty good like this I think.

As a bonus, I finished assembling a unit of Assault Terminators:

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0002_zpssn6iatj9.jpg

Components are:

FW Emperor's Children Phoenix Terminator Legs and Torsos

Blood Angel Terminator Thunder Hammers

Deathwing Knight Storm Shields with Minotaur Brass Etch icons

Command Squad Champion Helms

FW Minotaur Terminator Pads

Quite happy with how they've turned out!

The head is a Sanguinary Guard helm with the surrounding crest cut away; i'm not entirely convinced I don't want to use the helm he comes with, but it looks pretty good like this I think.

I cant help but wonder what Eidolon's head with a horsehair crest like on Ivanus Enkomi would look like (instead of the goofy topknot it has currently); maybe going so far as to replace the aquila with a minotaur bull head on it as well. 

I cant help but wonder what Eidolon's head with a horsehair crest like on Ivanus Enkomi would look like (instead of the goofy topknot it has currently); maybe going so far as to replace the aquila with a minotaur bull head on it as well.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that; I did consider using the crested Company Champion helm from the Ultramarines sprue but I might have the helmet crest from either the Centurion or Sternguard kit lying around somewhere to attempt this.

Wow, those assault terminators look fantastic!

Thanks! I'm pleased with how solid they look, like they'd be slowly striding forward rather than charging in.

I finally found the helm crest. I quite like the look of it, but I'm not sure if it will look out of place given that I haven't used crests anywhere else. Thoughts?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0034_zpsbxwbsdfl.jpg

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0036_zpsyi5vnulz.jpg

I finally found the helm crest. I quite like the look of it, but I'm not sure if it will look out of place given that I haven't used crests anywhere else. Thoughts?

Makes him all the more special and unique then IMO.  

He's the goddamn Batman boss. He can wear whatever he wants. Even a whoopsie cushion crown on his head like Joker in Where's the fun in that?.

Nice Minotaurs and nice use of the Eidolon mini too. Don't forget to put Eidolon's original unhelmeted head on a pike. For having such a horrible haircut. :P

His floppy hair would hang just nicely off of a pointy stick!

Also spent this morning starting an honour guard squad based on the Palatine Blades squad.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0037_zpseznvm7yu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't managed any more painting time, but got a bunch of building done!

First up is a Terminator Librarian; just a Blood Angel with the blood drops removed in favour of Minotaur brass etch, a FW shoulder guard and another Company Champion helm.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0079_zps1qqzzpkg.jpg

And 10 Devastators; I bought an extra set of legs and torsos from eBay so I could make use of more of the weapons in the kit. Think i'll grab a few more so I can build the missile launchers and a few Sergeants. It definitely makes the kit go a long way.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q797/halandaar/Warhammer/Space%20Marines/DSC_0076_zps7vgax3st.jpg

Archived