DarkVen's Octavia Obscura [30.04.2017]

DarkVen

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gents!

Wow, it's been always a month. And I still haven't got anything finished. Hm... well then, I'll take from the shadows I've kept something for a rainy day like this.

Chosen_ThroughShot_CNP_2.jpg

Chosen_Zenith_CNP_3.jpg

You've seen these chosen concepts already, but now these guys are ready to start the assembly.

Hopefully I will return soon enough.

Have a good day,

Cheers,

DV

That latest concept artwork is absolutely sick, mate! I do so look forward to these guys taking shape over the next...weeks, hopefully?! msn-wink.gif

You might want to consider switching your blog over to English at some point, by the way: Given the quality of your work, I am pretty sure that expanding the size of your possible target audience that way would make the blog go through the roof.

• 3 weeks later...

KrautScientist

Weeks it will be, mate! yes.gif Quite a few actually, but nevertheless msn-wink.gif I know you're waiting for something to come with it, but fear not - I'm getting there.

OK, guys, first of all:

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen!

First and foremost I must say that I am working on a few projects simultaneously right now, all of which require a great chunk of my time, my effort and my skill to accomplish. These are:

- my Night Lords army: currently I'm painting the last terminators for my terminator squad;

- my Lizardmen army for WHFB (because I have a great living community out here and I absolutely adore the setting and the rules);

- my master thesis - no comments on that;

- few personal commisions, but a bit later on that.

As you can see, I have a thing or two to attend to, which is not contributing to my efficiency at all. Yet I'm working on stuff.

So, I expect you to wait for some new stuff coming from me? OK, I have a few things up my sleeve. Not much, but at least something before I can present you something worth of a decent update. For starters, I thought I could share with you some additional concepts for other members of my upcoming chosen squad:

Chosen_MadMan_CNP_1.jpg

And here's something you have already seen, Kraut whistling.gif

Chosen_Grin_CNP_1.jpg

Again, these are just rough sketches and I will update them further, but the basic idea is there.

Now that the Shadow War is out and I really liked what I've read, these might actually develop into a fowm of a proper kill-team. I would really love to play some form of a narrative campaign with these guys as I build them, but sadly that has to wait for some time.

Now, maybe you want to see something painted? Then I have something for you. It's not for my Night Lords, but rather a sort of comission I've made in exchange for a suitable addition to my collection. So, here it is - a vanguard veteran of Blood Ravens:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Now I step back into the shadows to paint some new stuff and hopefully present to you something new within upcoming two weeks. Until then,

Cheers,

DV

Thank you guys! :) With these I try to stay close to what 40k was when I entered the setting, which was early 5th edition if I remember correctly - still grim, eclectic and somewhat "narrow".

Isengrin

Many thanks! I wish I could develop my skills further and illustrate the background of my warband with something better than blurry photoshop pictures one day though...

Xenith

Thank you :) soon there will be some new stuff, so keep an eye out for further updates ;)

Nemac Vradon

It is actually a part of a mutual comission me and my friend have painted together. I've painted a vanguard veteran for his collection, and he painted a raptor champion for me. I will post some pictures of it later on, as I get the miniature from him :)

• 4 weeks later...

There you have it guys msn-wink.gif

AVE DOMINUS NOX, ladies and gentlemen!

Atramentars_1_2.JPG

I've finished painting the last three terminators for my 10-men Atramentar squad. Here are some close-ups:

Atramentar_5_2_1.jpg

Atramentar_9_1.jpg

Atramentar_9_2.JPG

Atramentar_10.jpg

So now I have an entire unit of these mean gentlemen:

Atramentars_1_2.JPG

...and even with some variety to their load-outs, depending on using which codex/edition I'll be fielding them:

Atramentars_1_3.JPG

But of course, the unit would be incomplete without a proper timeless classic - 3-men melta-drop squad with a chainfist-champion:

Atramentars_1_5.JPG

This unit actually took me over 5,5 years to fully convert and paint. For me personally it is a good opportunity to look at the very first terminator painted/converted (which happened about 3,5 years ago) and the latest one I've finished just yesterday:

Atramentars_1_10.jpg

Apart from the obvious things - OSL and metallics - I think that my painting style got a bit tidier and cleaner than it was back in the day. Interestengly, some recipies and general principles of painting remained unchanged throught the years (blue armor, dark cloaks and bones to be exact). Yet it's the detailing that make the difference for me. As for the converting, the details again make all the difference. I grew to understand what makes the miniature look interesting and what creates some kind of vibe to it. The best comparison would be with the previous incerantion of the champ, but still, there are some noticeable improvements to my work.

Unfortunately I will have to put my csm army and this thread on hold for quite some time and there are a couple of reasons for doing so. One, I haven't played 40k for a few months now I believe, and I won't be playing it for at least another month because there aren't any 40k-players in my community currently. Two, I'm really discouraged with the upcoming 8th edition rules (yet the opportunity to run old editions is always at hand). Three, I'm working on another big project for Warhammer Fantasy (contrary to 40k, we have here big living and breathing community of WHFB players with a very decent amount of armies), which literally takes every chunk of my spare time and imagination to accomplish. And last (though not so significant) I have a decent collection of csm already, so painting new units is more of an opportunity for me to expand my army, not neccesity.

Yet I do not consider 100%-retirement, and I will be steadily painting and converting some stuff for my evil space guys, posting progress and updates here. I still owe you a few projects and promises, so expect that to happen next. Though I won't say anything about the terms apart from "when it's done".

Cheers,

DV

PS: if you'll be looking for my another project, you probably should search for the guy Chilipepa somewhere around Lustria online...

Loving the power weapons. Tried to pull off that look on my own choas blades, but I painted the areas in reverse to what you have(if you follow me?) . Basically didn't work very well, but these. very nice. The lightening affect on them are one of the best I've seen, good job sir, good job.

Think I'll nick, ...respectfully borrow the format in which you painted these.

What colours did you use please?

It's killing me how good you got at painting metallics, not to speak of everything else. I honestly think your lightning is at least on par with Forgeworld's (on the new stuff), which is quite excellent. And that Lord is just something else.

It's too bad that you're putting Chaos on the back burner, but your reasoning makes a lot of sense. So, let's hope someone tries their hand at building marines based on your concepts...."scurries away, downloading all those pics."

Archived