Unit of the Week XV - Dominion Squads

Aqui

Well, I enjoy what I thought was the incredibly common tactic of 4 Meltaguns in an Immolator, coming in from Reserves with Outflank. That seems to be the best use.

In any case, the Dominions' meltaguns are the most reliable anti-tank our codex has, as far as I'm concerned. You could take Retributors with Multi-Meltas in a transport, but then you have to get them all the way across the board without their transport getting popped, since you lose out on Scout (and therefore Outflank).

Of course, the Storm Bolter option is of very little use, and the only time I could immagine using Dominions with Flamers would be against a Tyranid or Ork hoard, or IG. However, even in those cases, you may well be better served taking meltaguns, since they will most likely have some kind of armour/monsterous creature that is scary.

The think with outflank is that you do of course risk coming on the wrong side of the table. tongue.png

I have 1 squad of dominions, working on a second (all of this is unpainted as of yet, of course).

I can second the melta-minions tactic. they are an easy way to get back line pressure and dig out sturdy things in cover. You have a 2/3 chance of having them come in where you want them so more squads is better for reliability. I don't see any reason to bring flamers since you can bring heavy flamer retributors and have an AoF that actually helps you. There is a an easy case to make for putting them in a Repressor since they could most all shoot out of it with ease and still be relatively protected when they come in on the board edge. If you really just want to use them to get up the board fast as a distraction you can probably leave the special weapons at home (or not buy all melta).

I usually use 2 immolators worth. Also for some reason I seem to fail my AoF test more often than should be statistical so I never leave home without a Laud Hailer. 

Since we play objective games frequently in my local group the backline pressure/objective grabbing is invaluable and the potential to get a quick up to the middle of the table with scout is, in certain instances, a God Emperor-send.

I don't use them in Immolators, bailing to shoot sucks.  Repressor is my new found love for them.  Scouting with c.melta/4 melta and shooting is a ton of fun.  The AV 13 doesn't hurt either.  Flamers are better used on BSS squads because of the AoF.  which is where I sometimes use an Immolator.  Work great, flirting with a double CAD list to bring six squads, seems nasty but I haven't tried it yet.

I don't use them in Immolators, bailing to shoot sucks. Repressor is my new found love for them. Scouting with c.melta/4 melta and shooting is a ton of fun. The AV 13 doesn't hurt either. Flamers are better used on BSS squads because of the AoF. which is where I sometimes use an Immolator. Work great, flirting with a double CAD list to bring six squads, seems nasty but I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, it's just that I have 0 Repressors, and I love the Immolator on principal. tongue.png

And I would like to make sure Aquilanus knows that I (and others, I'm sure) really appreciate this series of threads, even if they don't get a ton of replies (can't remember if I already said something like this in a previous Unit of the Week thread).

I don't use them in Immolators, bailing to shoot sucks. Repressor is my new found love for them. Scouting with c.melta/4 melta and shooting is a ton of fun. The AV 13 doesn't hurt either. Flamers are better used on BSS squads because of the AoF. which is where I sometimes use an Immolator. Work great, flirting with a double CAD list to bring six squads, seems nasty but I haven't tried it yet.

Yeah, it's just that I have 0 Repressors, and I love the Immolator on principal. tongue.png

And I would like to make sure Aquilanus knows that I (and others, I'm sure) really appreciate this series of threads, even if they don't get a ton of replies (can't remember if I already said something like this in a previous Unit of the Week thread).

It's been very informative for me (and rather eye opening to see just how many Sisters players there actually are! laugh.png ) and a lot of fun actually. A pity that I've been late posting a few of them though. Still, two more to go after this one (Sororitas Rhino, which is actually different than the Marine one for a few reasons that I can see, but we'll get around to that soon enough msn-wink.gif and the Avenger fighter wub.png )

Yeah, it's just that I have 0 Repressors, and I love the Immolator on principal. :P

Its the lack of fire points that get me, the FAQ draft recently returned one or two did it not? Seem to remember seeing something like that.

Back to Dominions though. I prefer to scout them rather than outflank them unless my opponent has a null deploy army, pods and similar. The randomness of outflank and reserve rolls themselves are never very friendly to me and if I am not playing my Raven Guard I avoid them as much as possible.

I always play with at least three squads of Dominions at 1850 (I'm spoiled) and prefer to use them in mass to take out a chunk of my opponents forces rather than just three individual units spread down their line. It always seems more impressive (demoralizing) when you remove every unit within a full 24" of your opponents deployment zone on turn one.

I love to set up so that my Exorcists and/or Retributors are nicely placed to take care of any left overs in the area as well.

On several occasions I have combined my Dominions/Exorcists to roll forward on fully loaded transports turn one. Nuke the transports with one or the other and then tear up the cargo with the other. I am a big fan of focus firing units down and then just moving on to the next.

If a vehicle has cover (jink or terrain) Dominions get it and the Exorcist gets the troops. Vehicle is in the open near cover so the troops can deploy into it? Exo the transport and Dom AoF the troops. Vehicle in the open without nearby cover? Take your pick and save the AoF.

At any rate, the Doms are much better in a Repressor. They are a simple enough conversion, just add a pintle flamer to your Rhino cupola and magnet an extra icon on the front of your Rhino. SM predators have AV13 and they look just like Rhinos up front. Nobody should complain, and if the wysiwyg or FW elitists get crabby just remind them how muchthe Sisters inside the vehicle cost.

I as well enjoy these tactics threads, would like to see some additional ones (not just units) that focus on other facets of playing Sisters.

Unit synergies, dealing with specific meta dominant armies, tactics for specific scenarios, death star counters and the like. I try to contribute when I have some knowledge on the subject and hope to learn something from those who have experience where I don't. My ETL vow work is the basis of an army that will focus on Repentia and PenEngines, should be fun to see how it works.

Its the lack of fire points that get me, the FAQ draft recently returned one or two did it not? Seem to remember seeing something like that.

Back to Dominions though. I prefer to scout them rather than outflank them unless my opponent has a null deploy army, pods and similar. The randomness of outflank and reserve rolls themselves are never very friendly to me and if I am not playing my Raven Guard I avoid them as much as possible.

I always play with at least three squads of Dominions at 1850 (I'm spoiled) and prefer to use them in mass to take out a chunk of my opponents forces rather than just three individual units spread down their line. It always seems more impressive (demoralizing) when you remove every unit within a full 24" of your opponents deployment zone on turn one.

I love to set up so that my Exorcists and/or Retributors are nicely placed to take care of any left overs in the area as well.

On several occasions I have combined my Dominions/Exorcists to roll forward on fully loaded transports turn one. Nuke the transports with one or the other and then tear up the cargo with the other. I am a big fan of focus firing units down and then just moving on to the next.

If a vehicle has cover (jink or terrain) Dominions get it and the Exorcist gets the troops. Vehicle is in the open near cover so the troops can deploy into it? Exo the transport and Dom AoF the troops. Vehicle in the open without nearby cover? Take your pick and save the AoF.

At any rate, the Doms are much better in a Repressor. They are a simple enough conversion, just add a pintle flamer to your Rhino cupola and magnet an extra icon on the front of your Rhino. SM predators have AV13 and they look just like Rhinos up front. Nobody should complain, and if the wysiwyg or FW elitists get crabby just remind them how muchthe Sisters inside the vehicle cost.

I as well enjoy these tactics threads, would like to see some additional ones (not just units) that focus on other facets of playing Sisters.

Unit synergies, dealing with specific meta dominant armies, tactics for specific scenarios, death star counters and the like. I try to contribute when I have some knowledge on the subject and hope to learn something from those who have experience where I don't. My ETL vow work is the basis of an army that will focus on Repentia and PenEngines, should be fun to see how it works.

Link maybe "dealing with vehicles" or "killing knights" or a specific army. In that case I would prefer to have such discussions stay on pure sisters (no allies).

The basic is four meltaguns - we're all in agreement there. Repressor, I don't think I would use that as it comes with heavy flamers that can't be changed (if I recall correctly). So, Scout or Outflank is an easy call as we see it, which leaves the only question for me (and I feel for our lovely FA ladies with melta):

Do you put dozer blades or laud hailers on your immolator? I usually spring for laud hailers. Also, combi-plasma for the superior after melta bombs, which are mando for me.

The basic is four meltaguns - we're all in agreement there. Repressor, I don't think I would use that as it comes with heavy flamers that can't be changed (if I recall correctly). So, Scout or Outflank is an easy call as we see it, which leaves the only question for me (and I feel for our lovely FA ladies with melta): Do you put dozer blades or laud hailers on your immolator? I usually spring for laud hailers. Also, combi-plasma for the superior after melta bombs, which are mando for me.

Hum. I haven't really thought about any upgrades past the MGs. I consider anything they do after the turn they come in a pleasant surprise (so I'm probably not going to by Meltabombs). Unless the terrain is super heavy, you can probably do without dozer blades, right?

The Laud Hailer may be useful, but I don't usually have the points for it, and many times you'll be able to come in from their backs and avoid their cover, but if they are parked in a forest, the laud hailer could save your butt.

The basic is four meltaguns - we're all in agreement there. Repressor, I don't think I would use that as it comes with heavy flamers that can't be changed (if I recall correctly). So, Scout or Outflank is an easy call as we see it, which leaves the only question for me (and I feel for our lovely FA ladies with melta):

Do you put dozer blades or laud hailers on your immolator? I usually spring for laud hailers. Also, combi-plasma for the superior after melta bombs, which are mando for me.

If your looking to use the meltaguns inside to full benefit, what is the hurt of having a heavy flamer on the top? AV13 and all the extra fire points? Im always hoping to get another round of shooting out of my Dominions. If they bail they are usually targeted at the first opportunity, the Rhino is better there than the Immo and if you have them, the Repressor is much better than the Rhino.

I dont mind the Immo on small ObSec BSS squads, but I never use them with my Dominions.

If your looking to use the meltaguns inside to full benefit, what is the hurt of having a heavy flamer on the top? AV13 and all the extra fire points? Im always hoping to get another round of shooting out of my Dominions. If they bail they are usually targeted at the first opportunity, the Rhino is better there than the Immo and if you have them, the Repressor is much better than the Rhino.

I dont mind the Immo on small ObSec BSS squads, but I never use them with my Dominions.

Good point on the heavy flamer on top. I include the laud hailer as there are enough jinkers that I want to kill that missing my AoF is not an option. The melta bombs are pretty stat for me as well, as I have a lot of IK in my area and if I fail to kill one with shooting, when it turns and runs to wreck me, I need that last chance. Which for the points has more than paid off many times.

Archived