=][= Chimera Variant Challenge =][=

duz_

gallery_30308_9518_44407.jpg

Introduction

After the rousing success of the Chalnath Expanse Liberation raising and the discovery of several new STC designs for the Chimera chassis, the High Command has requested additional support of these new vehicles. It is expected each commander shall deliver at least one of these vehicles to support the Regiments currently deployed. Given the relatively new nature of the STC's High Command has provided some leniency in their development.

Participation

The goal of the event is to build and paint a Chimera variant that does not come in the standard kit.

Eg.

• Battle Cannon Variant
  • Command Variant
  • Missile Variant
  • Scout Variant
  • Recovery Vehicle
  • Alternative layouts of existing variants will also be acceptable
The possibilities are only limited by the STC you have on hand :wink:

Event Period

Given the complexity of the challenge and current limitations associated with the significant Warp Storms impacting most sectors the challenge period shall run from now until the 28th of June, by the B&C's clock i.e. any completion post time up to and including the 28th of June.

Pledging to the Event

Make your vow in any way you wish, at any point during the event, to this topic with a Variant declaration and a starting picture of pieces required for the build. You are able to pledge more than 1 chassis at a time and can pledge additional chassis upon completion of the previous pledge.

Edited by duz_

Proud participants:

Completion Badge:

gallery_30308_9518_9389.jpg

Edited by duz_
Updated 0719 1720

I think I have a half-finished Chimera buried... somewhere from literally over a decade and a half ago. For some reason or another I've always avoided the things (Emperor forbid I've definitely never touched a Taurox). Might have to send the sappers in to dig out the remnants and see what I can do with what's left.

"Captain Calgar surveyed the battlefield as thick smog clouded the ruined streets. Through the dense cloud a familiar silhouette appeared and a the rumbling of engines filled his ears. The armoured form of several Chimeras rumbled past crunching debris beneath their tracks. The veteran commander was filled with hope but the weapons they bore confused him. Chimeras did not have autocannons he remarked to himself, they would however come in handy he mused. Calgar would make use of this new idea and would immediately order as many of his own Chimeras to have this new weapons loadout".

I Calgar101 pledge a Chimerax (autocannon turret) to the Throne.
Regimental Enginseers will shortly begin gathering materials needed, picts taken for information and schematics to be further shared with segmentum command.

Edit:
Before pictures

Edited by duz_
Added link to before pictures for completeness

That's a good point duz! And as a Valhallan player I kinda want to try to make that concept a reality, no promises yet though on getting the materials together in time

I made the time line 3 months so hopefully that's long enough. It would be perfect for a Valhallan army!

Or even a Tallarn ones too ;)

Hail the Commissariat! *guard salute*

If The Emperor permits, I have plans on building a hellhound made from a tamiya panzer II kit!?

here is a battle tank variant already deployed in the service of the 48th Krablokistan...

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/c258c4b5-2a96-4a4d-b9a8-30f1d620f3d0-jpeg.80410/

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/8c8e63f3-a6ee-4c06-8600-ff788a0a3da0-jpeg.80411/

Hail the Commissariat! *guard salute*

If The Emperor permits, I have plans on building a hellhound made from a tamiya panzer II kit!?

here is a battle tank variant already deployed in the service of the 48th Krablokistan...

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/c258c4b5-2a96-4a4d-b9a8-30f1d620f3d0-jpeg.80410/

https://yaktribe.games/community/attachments/8c8e63f3-a6ee-4c06-8600-ff788a0a3da0-jpeg.80411/

Yes, as long as its suitably 40k and we see the pre assembled pictures :tu:

The battle tank version is a good indication

Requisition submitted! Along with a few other reinforcements ;)

Been wanting this tank since VM released it this challenge is a great excuse for me :D

gallery_87434_11578_138731.jpg

Extra bonus because her US distributor is based in Utah so I might see it before the weekend as I just got the shipping info! :D

Although this was brought about because of the Chimera variant thread, it's not a big deal if you make a variant of something else. This is about creativity and community.

I have built the turret for my chimera, a long and fiddly process! Its probably not perfect but it is all about effort and learning. Will post pictures tomorrow and then get to work on the chasis.

And another distraction.

Thank you.

I shall be pledging a custom Gryphonne pattern chimera chassis. All plastic, no resin.

edit: 

20200429 200208

New in box and the minor fix. 

Granted I'm not touching this for a week or two, but it will be an easy out.

Edited by Focslain

Since this is a fun conversion challenge we can be fairly permissive but let's try and keep the focus on Chimera transport variants than just co-opting the chassis for raw fire power :lol:

I know as a guard commander than can be difficult though :woot:

I tried to include some examples but the links weren't working there was one with some double wide tracks that looked great maybe you could even put a pulpit on top make it a mini Leviathan :tu:

LJS has provided a bit more insight into some potential variants more in the linked thread

So, what you're looking for is the Citadel Journal 11, from 1995?

F3Cqv52.jpg

I can scan the whole article (called Assault Chimeras by James Funnell) and post it but is it legal to do so?

There are guides on making them in the sidelines but it's all based on the old chimeras/ leman russ and the Chimerax has the old metal autocannons from the Mordian autocannon team for example, so you'd have to adapt with more available parts maybe.