+ The Iron Without - Iron Warriors Painting Contest +

Doctor Perils

Unrelated but still related to painting I just discovered the wonders of using fantasy chaos Warrior helmets on the plastic chaos Space Marines. I find they look very iron Warriors like despite not having the typical Space Marine piping plus I like the more barbaric look and think that it fits the 4th Legion.

Right, we've agreed with Dosjetka that individual vows shouldn't mix 30k and 40k. They can however have different factions within a single time frame

eg. for the Imperial Fists, somebody can paint a vow with both Black Templars and Crimson Fists, however, they can't also paint an Imperial Fist Moritat from HH. However, for the next vow, they are allowed to paint the moritat, as well as any other Horus Heresy models they may like.

I, Brother Kortmer, vow on the honour of the IV-th Legion to fully paint at least one Chaos Space Marine from C:CSM with a total points value of 50 by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

gallery_80057_10843_165092.jpg

A modest vow, but all I can do. I don't collect and/or play IW and won't be able to justify doing anything more. That's exactly why I appreciate the possibility to vow a single casual model. Very much looking forward to paint it up.

I, Dantioch, vow on the honour of the IVth Legion Iron Warriors, 111th Grand Battalion to fully paint a 5 man Legion Veteran Squad  from the Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army list with a total points value of 150 points by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

-5 man Veteran squad (125pts) with Volkite Charger (10pts) and power fist upgrade for the Sergeant (15pts)

I undeadsoldier vow to complete a spartan, a xiphon, 20 tactical marines and 5 tyrant siege terminators by December 3rd.

blogger-image--1172505746.jpg

blogger-image-437156897.jpg

blogger-image-2043727776.jpg

blogger-image-268041307.jpg

The cyclones are on the way. This is exciting. It's like the ETL but I feel a bit less pressured and I can do way more smaller vows! I have a bunch of cool stuff on the way for some 30k goodness. Perturabo, iron circle, a iw dread and a bunch of characters.

Second Update
Member Vow1 Vow2 Vow3 Vow4 Vow5 Vow6 Vow7 Total Vowed Total Completed
Beachymike123 662
Brightstar 550
Brother Kortmer 50
Captain Titus 515
Celtic_cauldron 450
Dantioch 150
Insane Psychopath 580
Iron Skull Mask 321
Kierdale 50
Lord Commander Eidolon VOW
MindOfMetal 320
Ninjaman 712
undeadsoldier VOW
Wayniac 137

@undeadsoldier: could you please add the total points value? It seems a bit of a shame to repaint them, but it's good to think they're going to a better cause ;)

@EVERYONE: recruitment seems to be going strong, thank you everyone :) If you could just check your links and vowed points, to make sure I've not missed anyone out, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

As things stand, we have fourteen participants that have already posted their vows, and at least three other fellow Warriors have promissed to join our ranks soon. What's even better news, our total points vowed is currently 4497 points, and this amount does not take into account Lord Commander Eidolon's and undeadsoldier's vows, as I don't know their points values. That is an average vow of 321.2 points, which is much greater then the Imperial Fists' meagre 226.5 average vow ( :P ) If we continue recruiting at this rate, I think we'll make this a great event, and we'll stand a very good chance of truly rivaling the Imperial Fists and their successors.

All in all, I think we are proving the first verse of the Unbreakable Litany: From Iron cometh Strength!

Hey guys,

I would really like to become participant number 15, but before I commit to anything, I need your help:

Now I definitely want to participate in this event, because I've had a soft spot for the Iron Warriors for a long time, and because it would allow me to return to one of my projects from last year, a small Iron Warriors Killteam. Oh and because CHAOS!, obviously ;)

Here's my problem: At the moment, I have three Iron Warriors models that I would really like to paint:

iron-warriors-wip.jpg

Now do you guys see any legal and relatively uncheesy way of turning those three into a vow (or two vows, or whatever). Adding more models to bring the count up to five is not an option for me right now, as I already have enough unpainted stuff as is ;)

The best I've managed to come up with so far is: Vowing either the left or right guy as than one 50 pts. tester, then vowing the Apothecary as a Chaos Lord with CC weapon, pistol and power fist. Do you guys see another option for me?

Heck, if all else fails, I'll simply vow the Apothecary as a Lord and be done with it. But I'd love to hear your input on the matter!

IRON WITHIN! IRON WITHOUT!

What about as Horus Heresy Honour Guard - they're a three minimum unit, and you can get access to stuff like combat shields and thunder hammers. You would have to make some sort of banner, but I'm sure you'd manage.

The problem I see with that is that it might not be considered WYSIWYG, as it's not really Heresy Armour, but I suppose you could always argue it falls under the mkV category?

Hmm, I hadn't even considered treating them as Horus Heresy models, to be honest -- could they maybe be different consuls...?

If I ever add a banner-bearer to the team - which I will, one of these days - I'd want to treat the project with the attention it deserves, rather than just bashing something together in a hurry.

And yeah, I suppose some kind of hybridised, MK V-based mongrel plate would make sense.

How many points max per vow again? Oh and how many vows? I really cant be bothered checking on my phone.

4 units (plus dedicated transports) per vow, 7 vows max. No points limit (which in your case, is quite unlucky for the opposing team. tongue.png)
The Psycho is right about the limits, however, he isn't correct about the points limit imo: units for chaos can be way bigger and waaaay more expensive with the current codex msn-wink.gif

Also, iirc, 3500 points for 11 Iron Warriors versus 5000 points for 22 Imperial Fists? You may have the numbers, but we have a better average vow msn-wink.gif

EDIT: You'll notice I have a new avatar. If any Iron Warriors player wants me to create a custom emblem for them - be it for a distinct Grand Battalion or Grand Company, or a splinter Warband - I'd be happy to oblige smile.png I'm also prepared to extend the invitation to the Imperial Fists and successors, though of course Iron Warriors will take precedence msn-wink.gif

So there is a limit on how big each vow can be in terms of points? I didn't see one in the rules, and now I'm confuzzled... confused.gif Please illuminate!

Bigger average vows just mean that you stand to lose more for every non-completion, so make

sure y'all hold true to your oaths. :)

15k done in under 3 months, I wont even break a sweat here. Only problem is im out of shoulder pads atm so kinda in a limbo with vows atm.

15k done in under 3 months, I wont even break a sweat here. Only problem is im out of shoulder pads atm so kinda in a limbo with vows atm.

Order extra forge world Iron Warriors shoulder pads, that should do you ;)

Order extra forge world Iron Warriors shoulder pads, that should do you ;)

Did not think of that :lol:

If this does not bode well for us, I don't know what could:

https://www.facebook.com/ForgeWorldUK/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED&fref=nf

The imminent wall breach, right?

Yup ;) bah, when i posted it here i was hoping for tyrant siege termis, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the mastodon. Still pretty cool though :)

First Vow:

I, Larkyn, vow on the honour of The Ironclad Reavers Warband, to fully paint at least 2 Basilisks and a Chaos Lord from Imperial Armour 13 and Codex: Chaos Space Marines with a total points value of 412 points by Saturday 3rd December 2016. I promise to provide at least one "start" picture and a final "vow completed" picture in that time. I vow to bring honour to Perturabo and the Iron Warriors by completing my vow and not failing my brothers-in-arms.

IRON WITHOUT!

Chaos Lord: 162

-Terminator armour, combi-melta, lightning claw, veterans of the Long War, sigil of corruption, mark of Tzeentch

Basilisk Battery: 250

-2 tanks, miitia training

I'll get pictures tonight.

Archived