Facing the Unknown - Starting a New army together

Trokair

I do declare my learning vow complete!

cRYeDrh.jpg

kvJrtNW.jpg

fOP4Jjx.jpg

From left to right:

Ogun of the Salamanders, Gadriel of the Blood Angels, Sergeant Flavius Verecundius Macrinus of the Ultramarines, Zaron Devsalax of [REDACTED] (serving as a Watch Captain for this mission), Vilkas Blackhunter of the Space Wolves and Gerwald Thielemann of the Imperial Fists

Just a few days to go, I hope everybody has had a nice Christmas fest.

Alas I have been struggling to shrug of Grandfathers Nurgle’s embrace for the last few days, only venturing out of bed for the first time in 3 days today. So all the work I had hoped to do has so far been left undone. This is going to be a tight deadline now.  

I am glad to see all of your progress though; it really cheered me up as I scrolled through the thread in the last few days.

Gederas, nicely done.

Focslain, looking good, I like the red trim on the coats.

Keep going TheBlackPumpkin.

The ergonomic enginseer, no apologies need, life is complex and if it runs away from us one has to priorities some things over others. Nice to see the finished Captain and Squad, from what I see they are looking good.

Lokkorex, That’s is a lot of Guardsmen. Kudos for converting/assembling so many, and for having the patience to paint them all. Hope to see the finished version soon.

Your Skitarii look good so far. Will you leave their bases undecorated?

For the first squad yes, I have sector mechanius bases primed and semi-painted for others. The priestess is on one as well. Plus that will help in telling the squads apart since my experiment in numbering them failed.

finished, until further:

gallery_60230_9843_4888.jpg

didn't have time to make some finishing touches, but i'm happy with their looks.

would have liked to take better pictures, but every single last AA battery in my house decided to stop functioning at the same time, so had to resort to my new stupid phone, since i had to go away for new years.

waiting on some more bitz orders, and also decided to not bother with chimeras and tauroxes, and instead get some baneblades and convert them into gorgons.

is this thread still gonna be going in the new year?

I hereby declare my second vow complete, just in time.

Group shot of the finished units, combined with the units from my patrol detachment I can filed a Batallion, extra command points are so needed.

gallery_29932_13153_106114.jpg

I have also finished my Watchmaster, I hope he looks ok.

gallery_29932_13153_77876.jpg

The Librarian can provide a bit of utility.

gallery_29932_13153_32775.jpg

Lastly a shot of one of the Plasma Guns, I did not bother with a close up of the Intercessors as they are essentially the same as the ones from the first vow.

gallery_29932_13153_42829.jpg

just to clarify, i consider my learning vow completed, i've got a hq, two troops choices, played two games with 'em and i've painted them to tabletop standard, so i'm pretty satisfied! :)

Even with different time zones I think it is now past midnight everywhere and we are all in 2019. As such I call an end to this event.

The thread will remain for any of us who wishes to continue their projects; I know I will, for a while at least.

A detailed write up will follow in a day or so, so for the moment I would just like to thank everybody who participated, it has been a fun experience and we all hopefully have gained the start of a new army out of it.

Well I got the painting part done, but since I never did a game I do consider my vow failed.

I've had an idea for the promethium furnace I'd like to do and might as well donate to my local shop.

I know this is a few days later then I had intended but here is the write up of the overall event.

Facing the Unknown Event Summary

All in all I feel that the event went well, and there was a lot of enthusiasm in the first two months or so. However after that things quieted down quite a bit, in part to the forum shut down, in part to other hobby events drawing attention elsewhere and in part I think because we all lead busy lives and things do not always go as planned.

22 Fraters chose to participants and I thank you all for taking part. In the end 8 of us completed at least one learning vow, so congratulations to all of you.

In terms of running an event, and this was the first time I run one as opposed to just taking part in one, I think it went ok. There were a few issues with the rules as I set them out initially. I had not fully thought through the possibility that some participants would discover that the army they had picked was not for them within a few weeks of starting. After being approved by several participants asking about changing their army I amended the rules to allow it. I had initially thought that participants would pick an army and then would have to stick with it so that there is a focus on one project instead of jumping from one idea to the next without fully exploring it. I stand corrected in that we all work at different speeds and Learn differently. Asking someone to continue a project that they no longer like at all is not a good idea.

When I run another event like this I will certainly make the rules easier and more flexible for different participant’s situations.

While it was great to see every body’s progress, I feel that some of the other aspects have not worked out as well as I had hoped. For one I thought that we would all be better able to help each other with advice about armies we know well that another member is helping, but in practice this did not really happen. I think this is mostly because we were all focusing on the modeling and painting aspects, both of our own projects and others projects. I tried to include a few play experiences as I learned my army but I have to admit I did not have much advice to give others despite intending to. I think this aspect was one I had idealistic hopes for without really considering how it would work. I think this part would be more appropriate for a more focused event where several people all try to learn the same new army.

If there is interest I may try to run a more focused version of this event when the plastic Sister of Battle are released as I think there will be quite a few people who will start them at that point (I certainly intend to, time permitting).

Vowes and Forfeits.

I included a forfeit in my own vow as a motivator to myself, and most (if not all) of you also included one in your vows. However, in part due to my intention to let people learn with the initial vow, I wrote it into the rules that failure to complete the initial vow is not a failure of the event so as to not discourage people. As such no one failed the event (though I came close on my second vow).

The forfeits therefore are largely meaningless and again this something I will learn from and improve for future events. So while I did not fail the event, I do consider my running of the event to have been not as good as I would have liked and I will honour my own forfeit for the benefit of the B&C. I think I also spent a little too much time working on my Deathwatch when I should have been here more running the event.

I have to say I was surprised by how many of you vowed to donate money as your forfeits as having looked at other events the most common forfeits were badges of dishonor to be worn for a time in ones the signature.

Talking of badges, and banners for that matter. I don’t know how to make them and was not organized enough find out who would be willing to do some for me and ask them. I intend to correct this for next time.

On an aside: Focslain, I see that you consider your vow failed as you did not play any games had the associated learning experience. As far as I am concerned you did not fail the Vow, but I appreciate your integrity and wish you all the best in fulfilling this debt of honour you have imposed on yourself. Please do share you progress.

Please do share your thoughts and comments on both how the event was for you, how you think it went overall and anything else you want to say. 

--- --- ---

In alphabetical order the completed vowes are:

Dragonlover – Genestealer Cult – (Completed Vow)
Gederas – Deathwatch – (Completed Vow)
Focslain – Adeptus Mechanicus – (Completed Vow)
Lokkorex - Solar Auxilia/Tempestus Scions – (Completed Vow)
the ergonomic enginseer – Iron Hands – (Completed Vow) (see note below)
.Torch. – Adeptus Custodes – (Completed Vow)
TrawlingCleaner – Sons of Orar – (Completed Vow ) – TrawlingCleaner decided to change his army after this and started Word Bearers, which are still a work in progress
Trokair – Deathwatch – (Completed Vow), (Completed Second Vow) and CompletedEmergency Vow)

Note regarding the ergonomic enginseer completed vow: I count this vow complete as it meets the minimum requires of a Patrol Detachment. the ergonomic enginseer original vow was actually for a Battalion, but as this was larger than the allowed size for a Learning Vow I deemed it as a Patrol Detachment when I recorded the Vow and under that criteria it is a completed vow. As you did not complete the Vowed Battalion I will leave it in your mind whether you failed or not but as far as I am convened you did not fail the Learning Vow. 

--- --- ---

The following participants did not complete their Learning Vowes, I hope that you will in time complete them and wish you all the best in this endeavor.

Brother Argent – Eldar – Learning Vow
Chaplain Dosjetka – Black Templar – Learning Vow
Greenz – Death Guard – Learning Vow
Grieux – Space Wolves – Learning Vow
HCMistborn – Black Legion – Learning Vow
Larkyn – Dark Eldar – Learning Vow
Lhorke The First – Crimson Fists – Learning Vow
Lionofjuda – Imperial Fists – Learning Vow
Lord Commander Eidolon – Thousand Sons – Learning Vow
MrBadweed – Elder/Ynnari – Learning Vow
Oldest – Primaris –Learning Vow
Ὀσυμανδύας – Imperial Agents – Learning Vow
Skidman – Iron Warriors – Learning Vow
TheBlackPumpkin – Emperor’s Children – Learning Vow

--- --- ---

Lastly I would like to say that while the event is over this thread will remain open so that you can continue to post your progress. I will certainly do so.

Edit: there is always that one Typo, *sigh*

Certainly kept me going while I was on leave. I was the most models I have painted during my time off in a while, and winning an Armies on Parade certificate just topped it off for me. I've actually continued painting the Custodes while I am away. I recently completed another three man squad and I am currently working on my 3rd batch. I hope to have all my Troops choices done by the time I am next home. Then I will probably paint Valoris to complete a Battalion detachment.

It was a good event for me, and I would not be so hard on yourself. There are a lot of more well established events on the B&C. I would maybe seek advice and make a small badge for this year, but you could also keep the thread going and make the event a 'rolling' event if you wanted to take a more unique direction. That way people could earn set badges in their own time without having deadlines to work to. I'd run it myself, but I am away too much to give it a proper swing, but for you I think it would be a good progression for this thread idea.

What do you think?

Glad to hear that it was such a success for you, and thank you for your kind words, I will keep them in mind.

By all means keep going with your Custodes and share your progress here. The thread will remain open for use.

I am certainly planning on continuing with my Deathwatch. In fact I have lined up my 3 squads of Reiver and converted Chaplain (to fill a Vanguard Detachment) as next on the to do list. The first squad is currently being worked on for Grotsmasha 12 month challenge.

Archived