A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

Just realized I missed an initial post here but; I, Brother Argent, vow to paint:

1x Tyranid Prime

6x Genestealers

30x Hormagaunts

7x Spore Mines

1x Carnifex

To a total of 30PL for the month of July... Yep, I am that crazy.

gallery_36568_16061_45080.jpg

More pics etc in my blog

The Madness of Brother Argent

Edited by Brother Argent

Yes I did :yes:

:blush.: My bad! Must have missed it in all the pics - I gave you full points anyway, as it was such good work! Looking forward to the next vow :biggrin.:

Well, I didn't finish them in June's window but went ahead and got them done yesterday, so I guess this counts as a re-vow for July?

gallery_84244_15233_197282.jpg

I'm pleased that I actually found time to paint them at all given they've been sat in a drawer for about 8 years. To keep chipping away at it, I'm going to vow another model too; a Carnifex for a total of 6 PL

gallery_84244_15233_73483.jpg

You were done within a day of the deadline, so we'll say you made it for last month. Scheme looks ace with the subtle tone shifts on the red and the green sets it off! Awesome vow, love me a Carnifex!

I'm going to join the swarm.

I, our_baz, pledge to paint 1 Tyrannofex with rupture cannon or acid spray for 9PL or ~190 points in the month of July 2021

gallery_72518_17087_701912.jpg

Yea! The big guns (literally) are out!

Just realized I missed an initial post here but; I, Brother Argent, vow to paint:

1x Tyranid Prime

6x Genestealers

30x Hormagaunts

7x Spore Mines

1x Carnifex

To a total of 30PL for the month of July... Yep, I am that crazy.

gallery_36568_16061_45080.jpg

More pics etc in my blog

The Madness of Brother Argent

Well, the distance between madness and genius is measured in success! Great vow, and looking forward to seeing paint on them - you have until 2nd August, 19 days to smash them out - that's only 1.5 PL per day, so really doable! Gonna head to your blog.

I, Mike Zulu, pledge to paint 1 Carnifex (with Scything Talons) for 6 PL/100pts in the month of July 2021.

51297514102_1eb42882c2_o_d.png

Welcome aboard! What colours are your hive fleet?

#Update#

Quick update from last nights works. After a drybrush and a second coat of contrast paint the yellow is complete.

gallery_72518_17087_60872.jpg

That yellow looks really nice, what colour carapace?

Carnifex done! gallery_84244_15233_98759.jpg

The scheme translates well to bigguns, and the green again is fantastic, great work! - Tesseract glow over white? What's up next? Get a HQ done an you almost have a painted Tyranids Combat Patrol.

-----------------------------

Updated to here, let me know if I missed anything!

Edited by Xenith

++June Summary++

tenor.gif

What a month, thanks for joining in guys! I'm super pleased at the talent and motivation we have in our little Tyranids forum!

Last month was the first month of the (first?) A Bug's Life event, and saw 12 Hive Commanders sign up and pledge to embiggen their swarms, with nearly a 100% completion rate. Between us, we managed to paint ~98 wounds worth of biomass, which is ~45.8 Power worth of Tyranids, just shy of about a thousand point army, which is pretty awesome in my opinion. 

For interest, and to foster a little competitiveness among the Hive Fleets, below I've organised the entrants by completed PL - Out in front we Have Jud Cottrel and Brother Lunkhead with 7PL completed each, completing 3 Zoanthropes and a Broodlord respectively, followed closely by Rogue's GSC Abominant for 6 PL. Special mention also goes to Ruskinses who painted 20 wounds worth of models, Arson Fire with 14 Wounds, Trokair with 10 wounds of Termegants - Definitely masters of the Swarm!

This is just for interest and information, and hopefully some motivation, so don't be disheartened if your numbers are lower than others - the main goal is to get more models painted, anything more than you started with is a win!

Total PL painted so far/Frater/Vow for July

7 Jud Cottrell: 3 Hive Guard (6 PL)

7 Brother Lunkhead:

6 Rogue: 3 Acolytes (1.8 PL)

6 Xenith: Hive Tyrant and 20 Spore Mines (15.6 PL)

5 Ruskinses:

4.5 Arson Fire: 

3 Azekai: 20 Termegants + 3 spore mines (7 PL)

3 Trokair: 4 Warriors + 5 Stealers (9 PL)

2.5 Halandaar: 1 Carnifex (6 PL)

1.5 WarriorFish: 4 Termagants (1.2 PL)

0.3 Grotsmasha: 1 Cultist (0.3 PL)

0 ThePenitentOne: 

0 Mike Zulu: 1 Carnifex (6 PL)

0 our_baz: 1 Tyrannofex (9 PL)

0 Brother Argent: 1x Tyranid Prime, 6x Genestealers, 30x Hormagaunts, 7x Spore Mines, 1x Carnifex (30 PL)

That said, we have some new Hive Fleets on the scene, and we're now up to 15 vowing participants. Not only that, we have some pretty impressive vows in the 6-10 PL region, and not to mention Brother Argent's massive 30PL vow for the month, which will see him jump to the top of the table...if he can complete them in time!

Edited by Xenith

Ruskinses, Looks great! First time I’ve seen that model. Looks like a crazy cowboy!

Xenith, that’s gonna look fantastic! Really like the Neurophrope head for the Tyrant.

This will be quite exciting! I like the friendly competition with PLs. I can only realistically stick a unit per month but still adds a bit more fun.

I’ve started on the Hive Guard now so shouldn’t be long.

Keep up the good work people.

Leading from the front:

I, Xenith, Tyrant of Fleet Jabberwocky pledge to paint one Hive Tyrant and 20 Spore mines for a total of 15.6 Power Level before the second of July.

gallery_58096_13272_192009.jpg

Oooh yay, I've been looking forward to seeing this Tyrant painted since I saw the kitbash on your Instagram!

Man I love contrast paints. I got these bad boys half done in my fleet colours during a couple of episodes of Parks & Rec, a mix of my custom Akhellian tone, neat Akhellian, neat magos purple, magos:medium (40/60), neat shyish purple, apoc white. The tentacles will be in the colours of my Hive Fleets soft parts, so a 50/50 Flesh Tearer red:Medium mix.

gallery_58096_13272_478152.jpg

And the based mines in a game:

gallery_58096_13272_150102.jpg

gallery_58096_13272_145685.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Mid month update, they are not neat, or tidy or particularly exact, but they are done. These things have so many details that if I tried to paint them like my other models it probably drive me mad, so messiness it is.  The magos purple is not showing up to well in the pictures, probably because of the metallic base, but it is there.  Two down, two to go, and all the little ones as well.

Edit: Picture link/upload broke, not sure how, don’t have the original picture either anymore, so can’t even reupload, have however finished the models for this month, so will post those instead shortly.

Edited by Trokair

The magos purple is not showing up to well in the pictures, probably because of the metallic base, but it is there.  

Magos Purple is a really...'thin' contrast, if that makes sense? It doesnt change the hue really, and will struggle over the top of other, darker paints - Shyish on the other hand is almost inky black and wil lcover anything.  I usually use 50/50 Shyish to Contrast medium for the purple bits on my nids. 

While it is a bit on the thin side it dose kind of do what I want it to do, which is let the reflections of the metallic come through a little, so that it ‘glows’ a little. It just does not show up as well on camera, probably for the same reason.

it is a little weaker then I would like, but a second coat will probably solve that. I might also need to switch to a brighter metallic to get the effect I am after, I have been using the darker and blue tinged Grey Knight Steel so far. Will experiment further on the next two.

Magos Purple is a really...'thin' contrast, if that makes sense? It doesnt change the hue really, and will struggle over the top of other, darker paints - Shyish on the other hand is almost inky black and wil lcover anything.  I usually use 50/50 Shyish to Contrast medium for the purple bits on my nids. 

I found Shyish purple to be way too.. shiny? For the use I wanted for it, which was for cloth.

Got all my Genestealer pieces together for the great build (2 broods, 10 ea.:eek:). Fortunately, they are easy builds, so I should have my pledge up in a few days. Great to see so much participation and everyone is doing great work. This is a great event.... Thanks again Brother Zen:thumbsup: