New BnC event
Augustus' Arena is a Bolter & Chainsword event wherein Frater challenge each other in brotherly fashion. A 'challenge' should be understood as a unit or single miniature you want to finsih to the best of your ability before a self-set deadline, with encouragement and positive feedback from your challenger, and as such a positive experience for both the challenger and the challenged.
The idea is to challenge a fellow Frater to build, paint and base a single unit -be it a single miniature or a group of miniatures that fit together-, that is befitting their army, within a time frame of their choosing, to stimulate and inspire your fellow Frater to build units they want to build. Of course, the challenger can suggest a specific unit within the organizational chart of his choosing, but the challenged ultimately decides what it's going to be.
Challengers then act as sponsors to the Frater they have challenged, offering encouragement, praise and constructive feedback on their progress and completion. To stimulate Frater to really think about what their brother Frater would like to paint, there is no penalty to declining a challenge. In effect, the challenger-challenged relationship is a kind of buddy system. The idea behind this system is that it yields a network of challenges and thus a network of buddy systems, thereby creating and strengthening bonds of friendship between the Frater.
Formal rules are as follows:
- Frater can issue only one challenge to another Frater at any one time.
- Frater can accept only one challenge from another challenger at any one time.
- When you accept a challenge, you as the challenged choose a deadline. Possible deadlines are March 15th, April 5th, and April 19th. Deadlines cannot be changed after acceptance.
- Challenges issued and accepted should be posted in this thread.
- First Challenges can be issued until March 1st.
- There is no penalty to declining a challenge.
Challenges should be issued in this format:
I, [name challenger], challenge [name challengee] to build, paint, and base [unit]. If s/he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his/hers. If s/he accepts and fails, s/he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.
Challenges should be accepted in this format:
I, [name challenge], accept the challenge set to me by [name challenger], and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing [unit] before [selected deadline - March 15th, April 5th, or April 19th]. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.
Challenges shall be declined in whatever fashion the Frater deems fit.
Roles of Challenger and Challenged:
Participants of Augustus' Arena can be both challenger and challenged at the same time, i.e. Frater are working on their unit, while simultaneously supporting one other Frater.
In effect, the challenger-challenged relationship is a kind of buddy system where the challenger supports the challenged to complete their unit in time, to the best of their ability.
- The Challenger's task is to provide the challenged with constructive, inspirational en encouraging feedback on their unit. The challenger thus acts as a kind of sponsor to the challenged.
- The Challenged's task is to post in this thread a minimum of three updates on their unit (one start, one WIP, and one finished).
The event is designed to be fun for all until the end, as Of course, no-one is stopping Frater from supporting Frater other than those who they have challenged!
Frater who wish to participate should challenge another frater who has not been challenged , and post this statement in this thread:
I, [name] step into Augustus' Arena with pride and hereby proclaim my participation. I have issued a challenge and expect to be challenged in return - PM me beforehand so you know what I can accept.
There is a list of unchallenged frater in the second post - you may also challenge another, but make sure they are willing.
If you have challenged and have not been challenged yet, you should don either the Chaos or the Imperial 'Bring it on' badge in your signature, with the upper row being 40K and the lower row being 30K.
If you have been challenged, you should don the 'Challenged' banner in your signature. this signifies to others that you are not open to challenges, with the upper row being 40K and the lower row being 30K.
Of course, there are badges to be awarded. These will be awarded on the three deadline dates of the event, namely March 15th, April 5th, or April 19th.
- When Frater complete their challenge before their self-set deadline, they are awarded the Augustus' Arena VICTOR badge.
- When Frater fail to complete their challenge before their self-set deadline, they must wear the MEA CULPA badge until Midsummer, June 21st 2015
It is possible to both issue and accept multiple challenges during the course of the event.
- When Challenged Frater complete a challenge, they can accept another challenge.
- When the Frater you challenged completes a challenge, you as the Challenger may challenge another Frater.
- Multiple completed challenges will earn extra pips on the VICTOR badge.
End of Event and Awards
The event finishes on the date of the last deadline, namely April 19th 2015. On that date, I shall award special 100x100 pixal badges to
- Most Supportive Challenger (for the challenger who is the best buddy to his challengee)
- Most Impressive Unit (for the most impressive unit(s) finished as part of this event)
Q: Can challenges be to finish already started models?
A: Yes they can. The intent is for Frater to finish miniatures they want to finish, but which they see as a challenge.
Q: Is there a restriction against reciprocal challenges? So can A challenge B and B Challenge A?
A: No there is not, but the intent of the event is to strengthen the community with an intricate web of interconnected challenges. I encourage you to issue challenges to and accept challenges from different Frater, i.e. A challenges B, B challenges C, C challenges D, and so on.
Q: When I would like to be challenged, would it help if willing prospective challengees posted a list of what minis they have on their 'to do' pile?
A: Better not, as that would probably clot the the thread. Ask yourself "who would I like to challenge" and then contact the Frater beforehand by PM - to make sure they want to embark on the challenge and to see what kind of unit they want to take on. The aim is, after all, also to strengthen bonds between Frater.
Q: I'm a Black Templar/Chaos Space Marine/Space-Marines-with-special-challenge-rules player, can I challenge an entire forum?
A: No! The intent is to finish cool, beautiful, based miniatures. You can accept anything: three plague marines with a heavy bolter, a weird command squad, anything. As long as they look and feel as a 'single unit'.
Q: Why do(es) the miniature(s) have to be based in order to count as completed?
A: Because the age-old hobbyist adage goes "a beautiful base completes a miniature". Also, I like based miniatures
Q: What happens if I am challenged by multiple Frater?
A: If Frater get two or more challenges, they must first decline the first to accept the second, etc.
Q: Who made those awesome banners and medallions?
A: It was forte. He was very generous with his time and open to several revisions. Thanks forte!
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE AND HAVE FUN!!!
Edited by Augustus b'Raass, 25 February 2015 - 11:01 PM.